Official 2013 Gopher Fall Camp Thread: Updates, Analysis, Links, etc.

Anybody else see Willie Mobley on the New Mexico State roster. What a joke his college career turned out to be. Should have stayed home.

I don't know or really care enough to know what has happened with his football playing career. As I understand it, he graduated from AZ and is now at NMSU as a graduate student with one year of football eligibility remaining. I will say this for him, he went away to school, didn't get home sick enough to come home to mommy, got his degree, and now is going for an advanced degree. If I were to guess, NMSU was the only school willing to give him a full ride for one year. If you ask me, the kid did a good job of getting both his undergraduate and advanced degrees paid for thanks to football. I can think of a lot worse wasteful things kids have done with their careers. I think many people would agree he was pretty savvy in how he used football to obtain something more important and not the other way around.

Go Gophers!

I don't know or really care enough to know what has happened with his football playing career. As I understand it, he graduated from AZ and is now at NMSU as a graduate student with one year of football eligibility remaining. I will say this for him, he went away to school, didn't get home sick enough to come home to mommy, got his degree, and now is going for an advanced degree. If I were to guess, NMSU was the only school willing to give him a full ride for one year. If you ask me, the kid did a good job of getting both his undergraduate and advanced degrees paid for thanks to football. I can think of a lot worse wasteful things kids have done with their careers. I think many people would agree he was pretty savvy in how he used football to obtain something more important and not the other way around.

Go Gophers!

+1. Nicely said.

Probably belongs somewhere else, but this thread will do. My family stopped at TCF Bank Stadium after a state fair trip yesterday. On the plaza where the beer gardens were last year, there are some new large-ish trees and shrubs planted. One hopes that they are honeycrisp apple trees. Also there's a kid-size turf football field now. I had no clue these changes were coming.

BSXg75NCMAEogbZ.jpg

I know it has already been posted, just a reminder that BTN from Gophers camp is tonight at 7:00.

image-4153787079.jpg

Probably belongs somewhere else, but this thread will do. My family stopped at TCF Bank Stadium after a state fair trip yesterday. On the plaza where the beer gardens were last year, there are some new large-ish trees and shrubs planted. One hopes that they are honeycrisp apple trees. Also there's a kid-size turf football field now. I had no clue these changes were coming.

View attachment 2235

The U is trying to make the beer gardens family friendly, like the small town bars in Wisconsin do.

STrib: Walk-on Botticelli grows into unsung hero on Gophers' D-line

Gophers defensive coordinator Tracy Claeys thinks the “student of the game” label sells Botticelli short.

“He’s just a blue-collar, work-his-butt-off type of guy is what he is,” Claeys said. “The kids have a lot of respect for him. He came here as a walk-on, and he came as a defensive end. We moved him [to defensive tackle] and told him to start eating. He loves the game and plays hard.”

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/220897401.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Go Gophers!!

Regarding BTN Gophers day, does anyone else find it interesting that there has been little to no talk of Ben Perry? He made many plays during the Purdue game last year. I we just that deep?

Watch: Replay of Coach Kill's Press Conference 8-24-13

Gopher Lady did a fantastic job with her note in capturing all of the important information. If you enjoy listening to press conferences click on the link below.

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/082413aaa.html

P.S. One of the things that really comes through loud and clear when you watch the press conference is that Jerry really loves coaching. He is on a high now!

Notebook: Lynn, Wilson both expected to see time at MLB vs UNLV

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/...oth_expected_to_see_time_at_MLB_vs_UNLV082413

by Nate Sandell

MINNEAPOLIS - Since the onset of fall camp, Minnesota Gophers redshirt freshman Jack Lynn and newcomer Damien Wilson have been locked in a battle for the starting spot at middle linebacker.

But coach Jerry Kill doesn't see it as a one or the other situation.
"I don't think there's a battle," Kill said Saturday at his press conference in preparation for the Gophers' season opener Thursday against UNLV. "It's a battle for both of those guys to get better, because they're both going to have to play.

Fresh off his redshirt year, Lynn emerged throughout spring practice to a fair amount hype and praise from the coaching staff, while Wilson, who had just transferred in from Jones County Community College and was still adapting.

The competition between the two has tightened considerably throughout fall camp, making it increasingly difficult to determine who has the advantage until the season starts. The pair has alternated first team reps and have both been getting strong progress reports from the coaches.

With Wilson having gotten more comfortable in the Gophers' system, he could have a slight edge entering the season simply because of his experience at the junior college level. Lynn will be making his collegiate debut Thursday.

However, either way it is likely both Lynn and Wilson will have opportunities to make an impact in a position group that is the primary unknown on an otherwise strengthening defense.

Defensive coordinator Tracy Claeys has said he expects to use a six-man rotation (two sets of three) at linebacker in Game 1. Apart from Lynn and Wilson in the middle, that rotation is almost certain to include senior OLBs Aaron Hill and James Manuel, heralded junior college transfer De'Vondre Campbell, with it still be to determined how underclassmen like Nick Rallis, Jephte Matilus, De'Niro Laster and Chris Wipson fit in.

While only game action can do away with any lingering worries, four weeks of camp have made Kill more comfortable with the outlook at linebacker.

"That was a position I was concerned about," Kill said. "I feel good about the job we did filling some holes there that we need to."

Notes

• Junior starting cornerback Derrick Wells remains a "question mark" for the season opener, Kill reaffirmed. Wells has been slowed for the majority of camp with a shoulder injury. Kill mentioned that Wells had the shoulder issue in check this week, but then had his hamstring tighten up on him while trying to catch running back Rodrick Williams downfield.

Wells' status during camp has been downplayed by the coaching staff, but the possibility of him not playing in the opener is becoming an increasing concern.
"Hopefully he'll be ready to go, but that's a question mark," Kill said.

• Kill has not announced it definitely, but indications are that redshirt junior Marek Lenkiewicz will start at left tackle over 27-game starter Ed Olson. Since returning from offseason ankle surgery, the redshirt senior has battled to reclaim his spot from Lenkiewicz, but his adjustment back has been gradual.

"We have to be careful," Kill said. "In Ed's situation, he didn't go through spring ball, he's coming off a major surgery. He missed all of spring ball, where Marek and all of those guys have been playing. Right now he's pushing awful hard and he's a tremendous young man, but it takes time to get the feel of the game back. He's still working his way through that."

• The forecast for Thursday's opener is calling for possible temperatures in the upper 80s, potentially breaking into the 90s when kickoff commences at 6 p.m. With that in mind, Kill is prepping to use a large chunk of his active roster: "If it's 91-plus, we'll go deep," Kill said. "We'll have to."

• Saturday signaled the start of a typical game week schedule for the Gophers. They held practice in the morning and will practice regularly until holding a walk-through on Wednesday.

• Kill celebrated his 52nd birthday Saturday. He doesn't feel any different, but he sees the milestone as a way to play catch-up with a certain veteran Twin Cities media figure.

"How does it feel to be another year older? Well I just figure I get another day closer to Sid (Hartman)," Kill remarked with a grin.

STrib: Chart: 2013 Gophers football at a glance

Three keys to the season

1 An offense that scored 17 or fewer points eight times last season has most players back and needs to be more productive. The Gophers will rely heavily on the run behind a bulked-up offensive line. Nelson (above), who started seven games last year as a true freshman, might have a short leash if he’s not effective because redshirt freshman quarterback Mitch Leidner has come on strong.

2 The defense improved last season, especially against the pass, but the Gophers need to prove they can stop the run. They have a strong defensive line and much more depth in the secondary, but the linebackers are a big question. If Wilson and Campbell — both junior college transfers — come in and play well, this defense could be pretty good.

3 Like most teams this time of year, the Gophers believe they are bigger, stronger and faster. But injuries piled up quickly last year, as they used three quarterbacks (Gray, Shortell and Nelson) and three centers (Zach Mottla, Zac Epping and Jon Christenson). The Gophers got healthier in the month leading to their bowl game and played some of their best football all season in the loss to Texas Tech.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/220958171.html

Go Gophers!!

WCCO: All Eyes Are On Gopher QB Phillip Nelson

“The seven games are crucial, being able to go in there and just get my feet a little bit wet, know what to expect now. And you know, get thrown into the fire at Camp Randall,” he said. “That was probably one of the best things now that I look back at it because now, you know, I don’t think I’m gonna face anything much more difficult than that.”

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2013/08/24/all-eyes-are-on-gopher-qb-phillip-nelson/

Go Gophers!!

FSN: Gophers are more seasoned as 2013 season approaches

But it's also the attitude that led to frequent fall-camp dust-ups, most often with defensive tackle and fellow team leader Ra'Shede Hageman.

"Me and him go at it every practice," Kirkwood said Saturday during the Gophers' final preseason press conference inside the Gibson-Nagurski Complex. "Last year, if he were to do something, I probably would've thrown the ball at him, something like that."

http://www.foxsportsnorth.com/colle...ned-as-2013-season?blockID=932525&feedID=3590

Go Gophers!!

There is a scout article about connor mayes' visit to tcu. Anyone care to recap?

STrib: Middle linebacker firms up for Gophers

“Damien has played in a college football game before,” Claeys said. “I think the first group … you’d like to be able to show the younger players how they’re going to attack us before we get too many of them in there.”

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/221014851.html

Go Gophers!!

FSN: Gophers say they're ready for anything from UNLV

"We anticipate seeing a classical spread offense, but they could very well do what they did last year," coach Jerry Kill said. "That's the unusual thing about a coaching staff; I don't know if Coach Hauck could say, 'Hey, this is exactly what I want.' I'm not there."

http://www.foxsportsnorth.com/colle...dy-for-anything-fr?blockID=932821&feedID=3590

Go Gophers!!

Getting to know the Gophers football team, it’s a compelling bunch

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/blogs/Gridiron_Gold.html

Posted by: Joe Christensen

Heading into Thursday's opener against UNLV, It’s hard for me to know how good this Gophers team is. I’m struck by how confident the players and coaches are in the direction they’re heading, but I realize that’s a common theme for any team in August.

One thing I’ll say is this team should be a compelling team to follow. The individual stories continue to surprise me. If there’s a general theme, it seems to be a group of underdogs who’ve worked tirelessly – on and off the field -- to get to this point, overcoming whatever obstacles stood in their way. Here’s a sampling:

The head coach, Jerry Kill, has overcome cancer and epilepsy, winning 136 games in 19 seasons.

The offensive coordinator, Matt Limegrover, had gastric bypass surgery in May 2012 and has dropped from 403 pounds to about 235, while completely changing the way he eats.

The team's top NFL prospect, Ra'Shede Hageman, went through 12 foster homes before being adopted by a Minneapolis couple, who helped mold him into the man he is today, as Amelia Rayno explains here.

One starting safety, Cedric Thompson, grew up in Compton and escaped the gang violence by moving to a surreal place on the Salton Sea called Bombay Beach, where he used to wake up each morning for a two-hour bus ride to school.

The other starting safety, Brock Vereen, has a brother in the NFL. Growing up, their parents had a rule that they couldn’t play football until they were finished with their homework.

One of their tight ends, Maxx Williams, is the son of two former Gophers athletes, which only begins to explain his athletic bloodlines.

The starting center, Jon Christenson, is a former walk-on who plans to become a doctor someday, which would just add him to the long list of doctors in his family. He’s also the grandson of a best-selling author.

Starting defensive tackle, Cameron Botticelli, is a former walk-on who plans to pursue a law degree.

Another former walk-on, linebacker Aaron Hill, has emerged as one of the team's defensive leaders.

One starting defensive end, Theiren Cockran, was the third most decorated member of his high school defensive line.

The starting middle linebacker, Damien Wilson, came to the Gophers from Jones County (Miss.) Community College, where he played for former NFL head coach Ray Perkins.

The top returning rusher, Donnell Kirkwood, is the son of a welder who built sleds out of steel pipe for the whole Delray Beach, Fla., neighborhood, helping those kids improve their speed.

Their two starting cornerbacks, Derrick Wells and Eric Murray, were both listed as two-star recruits coming out of high school, which still leaves Gophers coaches shaking their heads.

One of their top receivers, Derrick Engel, transferred to Minnesota from Winona State, and another,Isaac Fruechte, transferred from Rochester Community and Technical College.

They all have interesting backgrounds, so it'll be fun to see how well they come together as a team.

I do find it very interesting that coach Kill and his staff seem to find and recruit "uncommon" recruits. I don't think it is by accident.

Notebook: Formidable temps likely await Gophers in opener vs UNLV

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/..._likely_await_Gophers_in_opener_vs_UNLV082513

by Nate Sandell

MINNEAPOLIS -- Managing the extreme heat of the Las Vegas desert was a major talking point for the Minnesota Gophers in the lead-up to their season opener with UNLV a year ago.

But with a high 90s heat wave and uncomfortable humidity levels settling in on the Twin Cities this week, it is highly likely the Gophers could be facing more formidable game time conditions Thursday when they open the season against the Rebels at TCF Bank Stadium.

An 8 p.m. start time, plus an overcast night in Las Vegas, helped keep the temp in the mid-80s at kickoff last season (registered at 86 degrees by the lead official that night). While the excessive heat facing the Midwest is expected to begin tapering near the end of the week, the two squads could easily be greeted with sticky 90-degree-plus temperatures on field level Thursday.

Coach Jerry Kill is already guarding the Gophers against the unfavorable conditions by scaling down practice times, trying to keep his players as fresh as possible.

"We'll have to be real careful Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday -- those three days -- in what we do, because you don't want your kids worn out before they play," Kill said. "We'll have to go deep into the lineup on Thursday, both teams will."

As Kill said, "depth will certainly be a factor." That gives Gophers more of an advantage in that department than they had a year ago, especially defensively where they are now legitimately at least two-deep at most positions.

Wilson projected to get start

Junior college transfer Damien Wilson is likely to get the start at middle linebacker, defensive coordinator Tracy Claeys hinted on Saturday.

Wilson has battled redshirt freshman Jack Lynn throughout fall camp for the starting spot. It is almost certain that Lynn will still factor into the linebacker rotation in Game 1, but Claeys expects to stay with Wilson early on in the game.

"I'd like to be able to stick with one guy for probably three series and see what they're doing," Claeys said. "Then we can show Jack what's going on at the boundary.
Playing without Wells?

• Claeys said the "U" secondary is preparing as if cornerback Derrick Wells will not be able to play against UNLV. Wells has been limited in camp with an ongoing shoulder issue and has recently been hindered by a tight hamstring.

But if Wells gets medical clearance by Thursday, the Gophers won't hesitate giving him the start.

"He's played enough that if he gets the go-ahead to play we're going to play him," Claeys said. "I'm not worried about the number of reps he gets before the game."

Cornerbacks Eric Murray and Briean Boddy, and safety Brock Vereen are all taking reps as the Gophers' nickel corner in case the speedy, big-bodied Wells is unable to play. The projected ideal scenario in nickel situations is Wells being brought down as the nickel corner, with Murray and Boddy working out on the edges.

Sorting out the O-line

Offensive coordinator Matt Limegrover was very coy in avoiding revealing his starting-five on the O-line. Limegrover insisted the competition at left tackle between Marek Lenkiewicz and Ed Olson, and at center with Jon Christenson and Tommy Olson remains open even five days before kickoff.

"They're still locked in a battle and that's a good thing," he said.

But Limegrover did admit right tackle Josh Campion, right guard Caleb Bak and left guard Zac Epping "have separated themselves from the guys who have been behind them."

Prediction for starting O-line against UNLV: LT Marek Lenkiewicz, LG Zac Epping, C Jon Christenson, RG Caleb Bak and RT Josh Campion.

To redshirt or not to redshirt

Kill mentioned redshirt decisions are still being debated for several true freshman, including wide receiver Drew Wolitarsky, receiver/quarterback Donovahn Jones, linebacker De'Niro Laster and tight end Nate Wozniak.

Freshman quarterback Chris Streveler is also being brought up in those discussions, especially with the progress he has shown in the last a couple weeks in moving solidly into the Gophers' No. 3 QB spot behind backup Mitch Leidner.

"He's gotten better, better and better," Kill said. "Rep-wise he's doing quite a bit with us. He's probably actually getting to do a little more with us, because the situation is a little bit different with us than what Mitch got to do."

If starter Philip Nelson and Leidner stay healthy throughout the season, the likelihood of keeping a redshirt on Streveler is high.

Notes

• Defensive end Theiren Cockran said the "U" D-line has set a goal of 30-plus sacks this season. The Gophers finished seventh in the Big Ten last season with 26. Penn State led the conference with 34. A total of 30 would have put them in a tie for fourth with Ohio State.

• It is not a surprise, but indications from the coaching staff are that freshman defensive end Hendrick Ekpe, brother of defensive tackle Scott Ekpe, will play right away this season. Ekpe, who joined the Gophers in the spring, has worked his way up the depth chart to garner several reps with the second team defense.

The rotation at defensive line is projected to feature starters Cockran and Michael Amaefula, with Alex Keith, Ben Perry and Ekpe serving as backup options.

Please don't copy and paste the whole article. You are taking clicks away from them.

Thanks for the advice. I must admit I don't understand exactly how the number of clicks is used but I know it is important. I really like both of those guys so I will follow your advice. Now when it come to people like Reusse and Souhan I wouldn't have problem if they lost clicks. They won't though because I don't read them.

Fox9: Gophers ready to raise the curtain on 2013 season

The Gophers will begin the 2013 season at home on Thursday night against UNLV. Jerry Kill enters his third year as the bench boss for the Gophers and continues the return to relevance tour.

The Gophers are still young, especially at the quarterbcak position. They boast the second youngest and most inexperienced crop of signal callers in the nation. Redshirt sophomore Dexter Foreman is the senior member of the group and sophomore Philip Nelson is the only quarterback who has played in a game.

http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/story/23256437/g

Go Gophers!!

FSN: Donnell Kirkwood leads improved Gophers run game

Donnell Kirkwood isn't about to tip his team's hand.

But if the Minnesota running back was doubling as the Gophers' offensive coordinator against UNLV Thursday, there's no doubt about what play he'd call first.

"Run it down their throat," the senior said. "I think it's tough on any running back when you open a game, that first series, and you don't touch the ball. You're like, 'Crap, I haven't got the butterflies out yet.' But when you're a running back, and the first play of the game, they give you the ball, get your first contact, get your first nick, and I feel like you'll be good every play after that."

http://www.foxsportsnorth.com/colle...-improved-Gophers-?blockID=933085&feedID=3590

Go Gophers!!

Associated Press: Hageman's presence at Minnesota is unmistakable
"I've just matured a lot. It's like night and day," said Hageman, who turned 23 this month. The 6-foot-6, 310-pound defensive tackle is on all the preseason All-Big Ten teams, and he's widely projected as a top-50 NFL draft pick, something this program hasn't produced in eight years.

"I kind of want to leave a legacy," Hageman said.

http://www.kansascity.com/2013/08/26/4437739/hagemans-presence-at-minnesota.html

Go Gophers!!

This game is all about the run. Can the Gophers continue where the left off at the great Meineke Car Care bowl. They should. They will have more of their O line in tact and the defense they will face Isn't as good as Tech was.

Secondly, can we stop the Rebels from running and force them to pass? That's the question for the year. We'll learn quite quickly if Hage, his mates and the linebackers are improved. We'll know soon soon after kickoff, I'll guess.

Top Bottom