Official 2012 Gopher Spring Camp Thread: Updates, Analysis, Links, etc.

CrocShots

Not Minnesota Nice
Reaction score
Can't wait! Any plans for the U to have webisodes again?

(could put spring ball links, etc into a spring ball subthread? or a sticky? delete after you take/don't take my suggestions :) )

Thank you Coach Kill for setting 3/31 practice at 10:15!!

Minnesota Gophers football coach Jerry Kill planning a 'real' spring game
By Marcus R. Fuller
[email protected]
Posted: 03/21/2012 12:01:00 AM CDT
March 21, 2012 6:13 AM GMT Updated: 03/21/2012 01:13:07 AM CDT

After not holding a full-fledged spring game last year, Gophers football coach Jerry Kill wants to have a real spring game this year to reward fans for supporting the program through a 3-9 season, Gophers athletics director Joel Maturi said Tuesday, March 20.

Kill, who is entering his second season with the Gophers, will open all 15 spring practices to the public, from the first workout Thursday to the spring game April 21 at TCF Bank Stadium.

"We spoke just yesterday about last year not having a spring game," Maturi said. "We had more of a scrimmage. He's leaning toward having a more game-like atmosphere this year because he thinks it's best for his program and best for the fans. He's always thinking. He always wants to do what's right for his players and his team, but also what's right for those who support Gophers football. I think that's the reason why he has opened practice again."

GOPHERS SPRING SCHEDULE

March 22, 3:15 p.m.: Practice #1, Gibson-Nagurski Complex

March 23, 3:15 p.m.: Practice #2, Gibson-Nagurski Complex

March 24, 10:15 a.m.: Practice #3, Gibson-Nagurski Complex

March 27, 3:15 p.m.: Practice #4, Gibson-Nagurski Complex

March 29, 3:15 p.m.: Practice #5, Gibson-Nagurski Complex

March 31, 10:15 a.m.: Practice #6, TCF Bank Stadium

April 3, 3:15 p.m.: Practice #7, Gibson-Nagurski Complex

April 5, 3:15 p.m.: Practice #8, Gibson-Nagurski Complex

April 7, 10:15 a.m.: Practice #9, TCF Bank Stadium

April 10, 3:15 p.m.:

Practice #10, Gibson-Nagurski Complex
April 12, 3:15 p.m.: Practice #11, Gibson-Nagurski Complex

April 13, 7:15 p.m.: Practice #12, TCF Bank Stadium

April 17, 3:15 p.m.: Practice #13, Gibson-Nagurski Complex

April 19, 3:15 p.m.: Practice #14, Gibson-Nagurski Complex

April 21, 11 a.m.: Spring Game, TCF Bank Stadium

I believe the answer someone else posted in a diff thread was no. But I have no link and don't recall where/how they heard that.

Andy Seeley (SID) posted on the official Gopher Twitter account that there will be no videos this year.

He also mentioned that there will be expanded spring coverage on the website (whatever that means).

Andy Seeley (SID) posted on the official Gopher Twitter account that there will be no videos this year.

The Webisodes production costs were paid for by the Goal Line Club, who has been asked to pay for other items this season. This is my plug for all of you to consider joining the GLC--more members, more money, more events... GLC Membership

Also, let us all keep in mind that attendance to the Spring practices is a privilege. We all are required to sign a document on the way in that states that we will not post on the internet about specific incidences. It's OK to make observations about what you see, but let's not kill the golden goose with private information...

That said, I'm fired up! It's my third most favorite time of the football year, after the season and signing day...

I'm looking forward to attending the April 7th practice, as I'll be in town for Easter. See you there!

Cool, the videos were a great way to kick off the first year, now (maybe?) it looks like Gopher Athletics has been stepping their game up with all of the other videos. Well done.

@FSNtylermason: First practice hasn't even officially started and already the Minnesota Loafers jerseys are out. I count three so far. #Gophers

Go Gophers!!

@FSNtylermason: First practice hasn't even officially started and already the Minnesota Loafers jerseys are out. I count three so far. #Gophers

Go Gophers!!

Sounds like some folks have been late to meetings and the like.

Update from GopherSports.com:

The University of Minnesota football team hit the practice field at the Gibson-Nagurski Complex for the first time this spring on Thursday afternoon. Head coach Jerry Kill said there was plenty to be happy with on the first day of spring ball.

“The best thing is when I don’t have to scream and yell about effort, hustling and getting where you need to be,” Kill said. “Then, I can coach and teach more. I thought there was a lot of coaching and teaching going on and I thought the kids responded pretty well.”

From a player’s standpoint, the Gophers were just happy to be back out on the practice field.

“I was really excited to get back out here and get back to work,” sophomore wide receiver Devin Crawford-Tufts said. “We’ve been working really hard in the offseason … running, lifting and stuff. I’m just excited to get going again.”

The Gophers were in shorts and helmets and will be again Friday. The full pads will come out for Saturday morning’s practice. The team will work out for three straight days this week – Thursday, Friday and Saturday. The Gophers will then settle into a Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday routine for much of the remainder of spring ball.

Go Gophers!!

Tweets from Phil Miller:

"Impressions of Day 1 of Gopher camp? Same as every year: New guys aren't as big as I imagined. Returning guys are bigger than I remembered."

"Kill's unsolicited praise: DT Scott Epke "Didn't seem like transition was big deal for him" & RB James Gillum "He's got some juice to him."

"LB Mike Rallis spent much of day in the middle, calling signals. Kill said that's more about veteran know-how than pending position change."

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

At the 0:52 mark of this video we see a loafer jersey. RB position. Cobb maybe? Looks too small to be Kirkland. Anyway, this is the 2nd best time of the year. Only thing better is the season opener. Signing day doesn't even compare.

Top Bottom