Offense & Defense Starting Line-ups

SRSKSM

FB Season Ticket Holder
Reaction score
I not been in touch recently. I am interested to see what others think about who will be in the starting offense and defense line-up for the Gophs.

QB - Gray
HB - Gillum
FB/H-Back - Goodger
WR - Crawford-Tufts
WR - Green
WR - Jones
TE - Rabe
LT - E. Olson
LG - T. Olson
C - Mottla
RG - Epping
RT - Lenkiewicz/Bush

LE - Perry
DT - Hageman
DT - Botticelli
RE - Cockran
OLB - Cooper
MLB - Rallis
OLB - Reeves
CB - Carter
CB - Stoudermire
FS - Wells
SS - Thompson

K - Wettstein
P - Orseske

KR/PR - Stoudermire/Jones

QB - Gray
HB - Gillum
FB/H-Back - Goodger
WR - Crawford-Tufts
WR - Green
WR - Jones
TE - Rabe
LT - T. Olson
LG - E. Olson

C - Mottla
RG - Epping
RT - Lenkiewicz/Bush

LE - Perry
DT - Hageman
DT - Botticelli
RE - Cockran
OLB - Cooper
MLB - Rallis
OLB - Reeves
CB - Carter
CB - Stoudermire
FS - Wells
SS - Thompson

K - Wettstein
P - Orseske

Are you sure about the bold part, Or did a I miss something?

Are you sure about the bold part, Or did a I miss something?

Yea, Dpodoll is having a bad day. I wonder if he would accept a bet with me that he wrong about those two?

P.S Dpodoll - I am just giving you hard time in fun. That is what happens to most people when they lose a bet. But since you don't bet this is new territory for you.

I agree with Dpo except - - -

I think Vereen starts at S.
Shabazz has a good chance to beat out Carter at CB.
The C and RG position is in flux. . . Epping could be moved to C and Bjorklund could start at RG.
I think our starting WRs could switch a bit. I wouldn't be surprised if it ended with WR: DCT, WR: McDonald, Slot: Green

What's the word on Reeves? Haven't heard much chatter about him, more buzz about Edwards and Manuel at the other OLB spot...

Bob_Loblaw

Your changes are pretty much the ones I would make also. One other one that I debated about was Joshua Campion at RG instead of Epping.

I am currious about what you think the chances are that Foster Bush and Lamonte Edwards will play much this fall. There was a lot of buzz around them earlier but not much lately. Speaking of lack of buzz, Brendan Beal's name is never mentioned. It would be nice if the old saying of no news is good news applies here but I am afraid that may not be correct.

Your changes are pretty much the ones I would make also. One other one that I debated about was Joshua Campion it RG instead of Epping.

Yeah, I'm not sure where to put Campion. I know he has some versatility but MV at FBT seems to think he'll be exclusively a T now. In which case, I think he'd probably be in the mix at RT.

As far as Gjere, it's tough to determine but he'll be in the mix at RT as well with Bush.

The other thing i'd probably change with my guesses, is that I expect Amaefula to be our starting DE. I think Cockran will play on passing downs.

What's the word on Reeves? Haven't heard much chatter about him, more buzz about Edwards and Manuel at the other OLB spot...

Reeves is a SR. He has always played quite a bit. I think Reeves / Manuel / Hill will all get looks at that spot.

Edwards is likely playing behind Cooper.

However, I'd expect to see a lot of different lineups depending upon the situation at LB. Hill is our best LB in coverage (IMO), so I think in passing situations/teams, Hill will see a lot of time at MLB with Rallis being shifted outside (to where he played last year). I expect to see quite a bit of Edwards in passing situations (blitzing), I wouldn't be surprised to see him lined up at DE a bit either.

QB - Gray
HB - Gillum
FB/H-Back - Goodger
WR - Crawford-Tufts
WR - Green
WR - Jones
TE - Rabe
LT - E. Olson
LG - T. Olson
C - Z. Epping
RG - Campion/Bjorklund
RT - Gjere

LE - T. Cockran
DT - Hageman
DT - Botticelli
RE - M. Amaefula
OLB - Cooper
MLB - Rallis
OLB - Reeves
CB - Carter
CB - Stoudermire
FS - Vereen
SS - Wells

K - Wettstein
P - Eldred/Mortell

My 2 cents w/ a few changes.

Did Rallis play in the middle in the spring? He seems small to be in the middle. I hope the tackles can keep guys off of him.

I'll go with what Coach Kill says in that it isn't so much about the starters, but identifying the 2-deeps at all positions. Everyone listed in the 2-deeps will see a lot of play, and hopefully we're getting to a point where there are options and depth from which to choose the 2-deeps.

I'll go with what Coach Kill says in that it isn't so much about the starters, but identifying the 2-deeps at all positions. Everyone listed in the 2-deeps will see a lot of play, and hopefully we're getting to a point where there are options and depth from which to choose the 2-deeps.

Very good point. One of the changes coach Kill is implementing as part of his vision is to have a better conditioned team with greater depth. Then you can subsitute often through out the game. The result should be a stronger team in the 4th quarter where games are won or lost. Not rocket science stuff but very important, never the less.

Just one of the many changes taking place here that some people seem to be having a hard time recognizing. Yea, I know that everybody has a vision but not everybody knows how and has actually implemented that vision like Coach Kill has.

Did Rallis play in the middle in the spring? He seems small to be in the middle. I hope the tackles can keep guys off of him.

He did and he was...the roster lists him at 245 now; however, so he did put on more size. Whether that weight fits his frame well and he's able to stay healthy in there, we will see.

So no change in punting huh?

That certainly could happen but there is no clear starter.

If there's anything we've learned with Kill, it's that the best player plays. Although he can in for an injured Hawthorne, Wettstein held onto the job at the end of last season.

Orseske is a good punter, with the potential to be great. The rubber will meet the road this fall. If Orseske, Mortell, Williams, or Eldred wins the job, the best punter is on the field.

QB - Gray 2-Shortell
HB - Gillum 2-Cobb
FB/H-Back - Goodger 2-?
WR - Crawford-Tufts 2-McDonald
WR - Green 2-Freucte
WR - Jones 2-Moulton
TE - Rabe 2- KGM
LT - E. Olson 2-Leinkiwitz
LG - T. Olson 2-Bak
C - Mottla 2-Christensen
RG - Epping 2-Campion
RT - Gjere 2- Bush

LE - Amaefula 2-Perry
DT - Hageman 2-Ekpe
DT - Botticelli 2-R. Johnson
RE - Cockran 2-Wilhite
OLB - Cooper 2- Edwards
MLB - Rallis 2-Hill
OLB - Reeves 2- Manuel
CB- Shabazz 2-Carter
CB - Stoudermire 2-Baltazar
FS - Wells 2-Levine
SS - Verine 2-Thompson

K - Wettstein
P - Orseske

KR/PR - Stoudermire/Jones/Boddy

Looks pretty good to me actually.
The youngsters in the secondary might struggle, and depth is thin at DT, QB, and TE
but there's more speed on that D in the 2 deeps than in the past, and really nice depth at CB, LB, DE, OL, and WR. Now we just need playmakers to emerge from those groups and the recruits behind these players will help fill in the depth for the future.
Can't fricken wait for the season to start!

Looks pretty good to me actually.
The youngsters in the secondary might struggle, and depth is thin at DT, QB, and TE
but there's more speed on that D in the 2 deeps than in the past, and really nice depth at CB, LB, DE, OL, and WR. Now we just need playmakers to emerge from those groups and the recruits behind these players will help fill in the depth for the future.
Can't fricken wait for the season to start!

I agree with you pretty much. As for the depth--there are always a few players that have a great year (usually as Jrs. or Srs.) that sort of "come out of nowhere". Who could have predicted a Nate Triplett, a Blake Hauden, or even D'jon McKnight for that matter? Ryan Grant, Curran Delaney, Sahr Ngekia, Malcolm Moulton, KGM, or even Joey Balthazor could have a monster year. It's always hard to predict. It's gonna happen...we'll have a couple of those.

I agree with Dpo except - - -

I think Vereen starts at S.
Shabazz has a good chance to beat out Carter at CB.
The C and RG position is in flux. . . Epping could be moved to C and Bjorklund could start at RG.
I think our starting WRs could switch a bit. I wouldn't be surprised if it ended with WR: DCT, WR: McDonald, Slot: Green

I really hope Carter starts at CB all season. Four years of playing BT football, if he's so easily unseated by a JUCO, that's trouble, particularly considering the tools he has.

I think Carter could be a real wildcard this year. How GREAT would it be if he came in focused and determined, locking down one of the CB spots as a senior and playing at an above-average BT CB level? That would really boost the defense, and let the incoming JUCO's ease into BT play.

I'm pulling for Carter this year to surprise the people that have been the most disappointed with his time with the Gophers up to now. It would be a huge boost for the D.

I really hope Carter starts at CB all season. Four years of playing BT football, if he's so easily unseated by a JUCO, that's trouble, particularly considering the tools he has.

I think Carter could be a real wildcard this year. How GREAT would it be if he came in focused and determined, locking down one of the CB spots as a senior and playing at an above-average BT CB
level? That would really boost the defense, and let the incoming JUCO's ease into BT play.

I'm pulling for Carter this year to surprise the people that have been the most disappointed with
his time with the Gophers up to now. It would be a huge boost for the D.

As long as Mike Carter don't mess up Mike Carter, I predict he will have an outstanding season. Mike is the most experienced DB returning (still playing the same position). I think Carter and Vereen will exceed expectations this year and garner conference recognition.

Carter has NFL size, speed (yes..4'5 or 4'6 is the average cb overall NfL speed) and most of all ability. Vereen is a FOOTBALL player. No moment is ever to big for him and he has a great nose for the and coverage skills, plus he is very good tackler. If he is allowed to be a coverage FS versus a 4th LB're, I think he will surprise a lot of people.

Good list, a few I disagree on...

WR- I think Moulton will start somewhere
RG- Campion should make a run at it this spot now that he's healthy.
C- If Campion takes RG, then Epping slides back to #1 Center. Also Christiansen could win the job.
RT- Gjere likely to reclaim his position.

OLB- I think we'll see more of Manual or Edwards.
CB- Shabazz over Carter in lieu of recent rumors?
FS- Vereen

QB - Gray
HB - Gillum
FB/H-Back - Goodger
WR - Crawford-Tufts
WR - Green
WR - Jones
TE - Rabe
LT - E. Olson
LG - T. Olson
C - Mottla
RG - Epping
RT - Lenkiewicz/Bush

LE - Perry
DT - Hageman
DT - Botticelli
RE - Cockran
OLB - Cooper
MLB - Rallis
OLB - Reeves
CB - Carter
CB - Stoudermire
FS - Wells
SS - Thompson

K - Wettstein
P - Orseske

I read somewhere he has really come on, I was surprised to see him listed here as a starter, but it may be correct.

As long as Mike Carter don't mess up Mike Carter, I predict he will have an outstanding season. Mike is the most experienced DB returning (still playing the same position). I think Carter and Vereen will exceed expectations this year and garner conference recognition.

Carter has NFL size, speed (yes..4'5 or 4'6 is the average cb overall NfL speed) and most of all ability. Vereen is a FOOTBALL player. No moment is ever to big for him and he has a great nose for the and coverage skills, plus he is very good tackler. If he is allowed to be a coverage FS versus a 4th LB're, I think he will surprise a lot of people.

I don't disagree with this part of the assessment and you know a lot more about safety play than me, but either Vereen was totally miscast as a CB or he's going to have to not get turned around so much in coverage. Maybe that is one and the same, but Vereen was out of position way too often on the outside and when you're playing CB, that can't be allowed to happen. He may be better with the game totally in front of him, which is would be at either of the safety positions.

I don't disagree with this part of the assessment and you know a lot more about safety play than me, but either Vereen was totally miscast as a CB or he's going to have to not get turned around so much in coverage. Maybe that is one and the same, but Vereen was out of position way too often on the outside and when you're playing CB, that can't be allowed to happen. He may be better with the game totally in front of him, which is would be at either of the safety positions.

He had some struggles but I believe they were largely overblown. Vereen was in a very difficult situation. He was the field corner on a team that needed to blitz to get to the QB and needed their safeties to play the run (in order to stop it).

He was really in a position to fail. I'm not blaming Coach Kill or Claeys, because I don't think they had a choice but to make those adjustments, but the system really made guys like Vereen and even C. Lewis the proverbial "fall guys" for some of our other short comings (inability to stop the run or rush the passer w/o blitzing).

Stoud returning kicks?

I think I am the only one who doesn't expect to see him return many kicks this season. I just think he's so vital to our defense and he will be called upon to do so much defensively that they won't have him back. Furthermore, I think they'd probably rather skip out on that extra wear and tear. I could certainly be wrong though.

I envisioned guys like Jones returning kicks , maybe with Wright or even Kirkwood returned some kicks last year. For punt return, Brandon Green did a nice job fielding punts last year and I don't know.

I just am not expecting to see Stoud return a lot of kicks.

He had some struggles but I believe they were largely overblown. Vereen was in a very difficult situation. He was the field corner on a team that needed to blitz to get to the QB and needed their safeties to play the run (in order to stop it).

He was really in a position to fail. I'm not blaming Coach Kill or Claeys, because I don't think they had a choice but to make those adjustments, but the system really made guys like Vereen and even C. Lewis the proverbial "fall guys" for some of our other short comings (inability to stop the run or rush the passer w/o blitzing).

I think he really improved as the season went on.

Top Bottom