Offense & Defense Starting Line-ups

Stoud returning kicks?

I think I am the only one who doesn't expect to see him return many kicks this season. I just think he's so vital to our defense and he will be called upon to do so much defensively that they won't have him back. Furthermore, I think they'd probably rather skip out on that extra wear and tear. I could certainly be wrong though.

I would like to see Stoudermire get the kick return record. I think he's only a few decent returns away. Now with kickoffs being moved forward 5 yards, that record could last a long, long time.

The competition for the starting OL is going to be fun to watch. I think the left side is locked down by the Olson Brothers, barring injury. But from C to RT it is going to be a war and I think any of the iliterations put forward is possible. Should be great fun!

I don't disagree with this part of the assessment and you know a lot more about safety play than me, but either Vereen was totally miscast as a CB or he's going to have to not get turned around so much in coverage. Maybe that is one and the same, but Vereen was out of position way too often on the outside and when you're playing CB, that can't be allowed to happen. He may be better with the game totally in front of him, which is would be at either of the safety positions.

Bob Loblaw pretty much nailed it. With little pass rush (until the end of the season), no outside containment in the run game (OLB's were in a pin ball machine....scheme) not keeping the o-line
off your best linebacker (Tinsley), it's not surprising the secondary (not just the S's) had to be
heavily involved in the run game.

The biggest improvement on defense last year was made by the defensive line. As a group, they (mainly the ends) were absolutely horrible at the start of the season. As the young ends gained experience/got better, the defense/team got better. As a result guys likes slim shady, Vereen and C.Lewis were trashed last season because they were asked to do things that guys who were drafted in the 1st round weren't asked to do.

If Vereen got "turned around a lot it was because the offense had sooooo much time to do it. The USC game says it all; 2013 1st rd QB had his blind side protected by a 2012 1st rd LT who was blocking a 19yr old 220 DE making his 1st start and the QB was throwing to a 2013 1st rd pick WR. No DB who played college football last year could have done much better.

Vereen is a very good football player and cb; he was not the issue with this defense last year...he was a victim of it.

Note: the young guys on defense had no business being on the field last season and the coaches had no choice but to play them. To the youngsters credit they made a ton of improvement as the season went on.

Martez Shabazz will be starting opposite #11 by the time we hit the Big Ten or maybe sooner. He's just that fast and solid on the corner.

I agree with Dpo except - - -

I think Vereen starts at S.
Shabazz has a good chance to beat out Carter at CB.
The C and RG position is in flux. . . Epping could be moved to C and Bjorklund could start at RG.
I think our starting WRs could switch a bit. I wouldn't be surprised if it ended with WR: DCT, WR: McDonald, Slot: Green

I haven't heard much about Bjorklund. I wasn't in the Twin Cities the past two weeks and didn't check GH very much. Is there some new news on Bjorklund?

I just am not expecting to see Stoud return a lot of kicks.

Agreed.

Bob Loblaw pretty much nailed it. With little pass rush (until the end of the season), no outside containment in the run game (OLB's were in a pin ball machine....scheme) not keeping the o-line
off your best linebacker (Tinsley), it's not surprising the secondary (not just the S's) had to be
heavily involved in the run game.

The biggest improvement on defense last year was made by the defensive line. As a group, they (mainly the ends) were absolutely horrible at the start of the season. As the young ends gained experience/got better, the defense/team got better. As a result guys likes slim shady, Vereen and C.Lewis were trashed last season because they were asked to do things that guys who were drafted in the 1st round weren't asked to do.

If Vereen got "turned around a lot it was because the offense had sooooo much time to do it. The USC game says it all; 2013 1st rd QB had his blind side protected by a 2012 1st rd LT who was blocking a 19yr old 220 DE making his 1st start and the QB was throwing to a 2013 1st rd pick WR. No DB who played college football last year could have done much better.

Vereen is a very good football player and cb; he was not the issue with this defense last year...he was a victim of it.

Note: the young guys on defense had no business being on the field last season and the coaches had no choice but to play them. To the youngsters credit they made a ton of improvement as the season went on.

+1, we have heard the same stuff the last three years, blaming dbacks when there was nothing happening up front to help them. We are blaming the victims here. We take freshmen like Vereen and Collado, and put them in against fourth and fifth year seniors, provide no pass rush, and then think they are the problem on Defense.
As far as who returns kicks, it will be whoever Coach Kill thinks is the best kick returner. I believe we will find he thinks if you have play makers you want them to have the ball in the open field as often as possible.

I haven't heard much about Bjorklund. I wasn't in the Twin Cities the past two weeks and didn't check GH very much. Is there some new news on Bjorklund?

There has just been some rumors about him competing for time at the guard position. He is up 15 lbs to 295 this season. I believe his name has been mentioned by Kill on some of the Sport Huddle's. He looked good during practices and was right in their with the 2nd unit. Lastly, MV has talked about how he thinks Bjorklund could compete for PT.

I think it's possible that the staff moves Epping over to C and then that RG position is completely up for grabs (Bak, Bjorklund, maybe Campion).

Parski1 said:
Martez Shabazz will be starting opposite #11 by the time we hit the Big Ten or maybe sooner. He's just that fast and solid on the corner.

Troy is #2 now.

MV has the most thought-out and up to date version on FBT.

I've never heard of Foster Bush playing guard, that was interesting and he doesn't have Fruechte on his two deeps. I'm not saying that I disagree with him, I haven't been to practice, but that's interesting.

I've never heard of Foster Bush playing guard, that was interesting and he doesn't have Fruechte on his two deeps. I'm not saying that I disagree with him, I haven't been to practice, but that's interesting.
The staff has talked a good deal about Bush playing either guard or tackle. It's interesting that they talked so much about getting him on the field and how impressed they were with him and such, but he's clearly the third wheel in the RT competition, at least at the moment.

As for Fruechte, there are basically 7 guys in the running for receiver time, MV happens to have him 7th. Can't say I've seen enough of any of the new guys to have an opinion.

The staff has talked a good deal about Bush playing either guard or tackle. It's interesting that they talked so much about getting him on the field and how impressed they were with him and such, but he's clearly the third wheel in the RT competition, at least at the moment.

As for Fruechte, there are basically 7 guys in the running for receiver time, MV happens to have him 7th. Can't say I've seen enough of any of the new guys to have an opinion.

Hmmm, I've always thought of Bush as a T, thanks for the clarrification.

Yeah, I wasn't disagreeing with MV, I haven't even seen a practice. It just seemed interesting because of the multiple reports about how impressive Fruechte has looked.

Top Bottom