Obligatory Max Shortell thread. How will he be used going forward?

Tebow < weber< gray < Shortell = 4 Heisman trophy's for shortell

LMAO
second string QB always the favorite player on the team

Without a well established offensive line and without a well establishe running...

game to take some of the pressure off, I really do like the idea of a qb who can move the chains by getting some tough 1...2...and 3 yard gains on 3rd down. OR, if inside the other team's 35, can pick up a fourth and 1/2 a yard...just in case the field goal game is not quite "there" yet. I HATE the idea of always trying a pass to pick up a first down on 3rd and 2. Right now, until the running game is established, i really do like the idea of having a qb who can act like a running back...the biggest...strongest running back that the team has or at least present that threat to defenses.

Once the Gophers start Big Ten play...they HAVE to be able to pick up first downs quite frequently on the ground. Otherwise Big Ten defenses will rush...sack...blitz...and force too many 3 and outs by totally disrupting a passing game.

NO threat to run for first downs puts too much pressure on a passing game with a young offensive line and inexperienced quarterbacks. Some teams really do pressure the quarterback a LOT.

I'm with those that say give them both some PT the next three weeks, then pick a primary guy for Big Ten season. You just can't have those guys going in and out of there like club sandwiches.

He has adequate agility given his size and weight, but he is certainly not going to make many plays with his legs. He does show adequate pocket presence and he is capable of moving laterally within the pocket and buying some second chances. He has adequate quickness, he moves well for his size and is tough to bring down. However, Shortell needs to be protected to be at his finest. He is a timing passer from within the pocket that is most effective when in rhythm and not holding onto the ball. Just isn't going to improvise and create opportunities if things break down. Shortell is a good fit for a two-back, pro-style scheme with three, five and seven-step drops as well as play-action. (ESPN)

I'm not saying he is to immobile to be a pocket passer, but with our oline and running game it might be best to stay with a qb who can run and pass. Shortell is a Freshmen, I am excited about him for the future or if Gray gets hurt. When Weber started Gray was the most popular player as well.

Things Max did well:
1. Made the proper checks and calls (except for 2 times, according to Coach).
2. Went through his progressions and made the right play a majority of the time.
3. Even though he locked onto a receiver a couple times, he mostly did not. The reason Green was able to score was because Shortell was not looking at him until the moment before he threw the ball. The safeties had already cheated away from Green.
4. He doesn't go down easy when running. On both long gains up the middle, he made positive yards after contact.
5. His passes were always around the receiver, something Gray needs to work on.

Of course Shortell isn't as quick as Gray, but he may be quick enough to do well in Kill's Read-Option system. We'll know more when we see him make some lateral moves in a game.

While I like what I've seen from Shortell, I still think Gray is our starter. If he can make better reads and calls, and cut down on the errant passes, he has the athletic skills to put up some big numbers.

Ppress has a poll --- Who should be the Gophers’ starting quarterback?

Ppress has a poll data 8Pm September 7th 2011
Who should be the Gophers’ starting quarterback?
Total votes = 1463
Marqueis Gray 595 votes or 40.66%
Max Shortell 695 votes or 47.50%
Check link for updated voting
http://www.twincities.com/sports

After watching the game again, I thought the line was playing better with Shorty under center. They looked more comfortable working in the shotgun and they protected the pocket really well. I thought Shortell was able to read the defense better than Gray under center, who looked uncomfortable his entire game. One thing that I didn't see enough of was how Shortell would handle the running game on his hand-offs. MG looked as stiff as a board on the hand-offs and seemed to flag the hand-off so early to the defense they were able to react to it quicker than they should. If we get a look at Shorty managing the running game more, and if he does well, I would not see any reason not to go with him as the starter. His passes are quick and showed speed and accuracy.

The real poll....

Ppress has a poll data 8Pm September 7th 2011
Who should be the Gophers’ starting quarterback?
Total votes = 1463
Marqueis Gray 595 votes or 40.66%
Max Shortell 695 votes or 47.50%
Check link for updated voting
http://www.twincities.com/sports

....is Coach Kill. That is the only one that counts, thank god.

I'm definitely not saying we should anoint Shortell the starter, but I wouldn't mind seeing him thrown in every now and then. Maybe a series right before halftime to give the other team something to think about or right out of the half as a change of pace? Maybe in a goal line situation with Gray as a receiver?

You need to look at Kill's/Limegrover's past history

I'm definitely not saying we should anoint Shortell the starter, but I wouldn't mind seeing him thrown in every now and then. Maybe a series right before halftime to give the other team something to think about or right out of the half as a change of pace? Maybe in a goal line situation with Gray as a receiver?

I don't know what Kill has planned but based on his past record he wants to get the best players on the field that can make difference. This includes giving the other team multiple looks with different players. I am sure Kill/Limegrover are looking for opportunities to do some of the things you mentioned above. My point is that we are fortunate to have coaches that are exceptionally creative are trying to get better each day. The idea of a poll by fans on who should start may be interesting but it really means nothing. Fans are certainly entitled to their opinions but that is all they are.

I don't get why people think Gray would be that much of an upgrade at WR, especially the guy who said he would be the best WR(Da'Jon Mcknight?). Last year whenever I watched the Gophers play it seemed like 3 or 4 of Weber's incompletions were passes to Gray that hit him in the hands, and were dropped. Not something you want when you have a true freshman starting at qb.

game to take some of the pressure off, I really do like the idea of a qb who can move the chains by getting some tough 1...2...and 3 yard gains on 3rd down. OR, if inside the other team's 35, can pick up a fourth and 1/2 a yard...just in case the field goal game is not quite "there" yet. I HATE the idea of always trying a pass to pick up a first down on 3rd and 2. Right now, until the running game is established, i really do like the idea of having a qb who can act like a running back...the biggest...strongest running back that the team has or at least present that threat to defenses.

Once the Gophers start Big Ten play...they HAVE to be able to pick up first downs quite frequently on the ground. Otherwise Big Ten defenses will rush...sack...blitz...and force too many 3 and outs by totally disrupting a passing game

NO threat to run for first downs puts too much pressure on a passing game with a young offensive line and inexperienced quarterbacks. Some teams really do pressure the quarterback a LOT.

And if you don't have a passing game they will stack the box. It goes both ways.

Not ready to say Max should be the starter, but worth keeping an eye on.

I don't know what Kill has planned but based on his past record he wants to get the best players on the field that can make difference. This includes giving the other team multiple looks with different players. I am sure Kill/Limegrover are looking for opportunities to do some of the things you mentioned above. My point is that we are fortunate to have coaches that are exceptionally creative are trying to get better each day. The idea of a poll by fans on who should start may be interesting but it really means nothing. Fans are certainly entitled to their opinions but that is all they are.

I agree Killjoy. Coach Kill has shown the willingness to throw an athlete out there (Edwards @ DE) to help fill a need. If Shortell continues to improve, I would not be surprised to see both in there in a special package.

I agree Killjoy. Coach Kill has shown the willingness to throw an athlete out there (Edwards @ DE) to help fill a need. If Shortell continues to improve, I would not be surprised to see both in there in a special package.

My wife gets a special package a couple a days a week.

Top Bottom