Obligatory Max Shortell thread. How will he be used going forward?

Reaction score
Max Shortell showed us some good stuff in a small sample size this afternoon.

Do you think he will be used as a change of pace mid-game to Marqueis Gray to show a different look? I do think Gray should be our starter for now.

Short of winning the game I think he had as much of an ideal start as you could hope for as a freshman-- in his first college game, at USC, against a ranked opponent, on national television.

I agree - Gray at WR. Show looks with Gray in the backfield, giving him the threat to throw, run, or receive. Gray is an NFL WR.

This is a tough situation. Max looks really good and he has now burned his redshirt. I think they start gray and put him on a short leash. If he makes a couple of mistakes and/or fumbles, he is out. It is nice having two qb's.

Lets stop this nonsense.
After Gray's one good drive in junk time versus OSU in 2009 half the people on this board and 2/3 in the student section were convinced that Gray was better than Weber. Now after Shortell goes 7 of 13 for 98 versus Gray's 7 of 12 for 94, Gray is somehow a bad QB.

There is no controversy.

edit: Oh, I forgot. INTS - Shortell-1 Gray-0

hilarious - yes switch Gray back to WR since he started his first game at QB since high school and has been playing QB this year since spring practice. you just can't make this stuff up. :D

The game has changed.

Rotating quarterbacks is not a problem.

And ours have totally different games.

I can't remember when we had a 2nd string true frosh QB play let alone play well. The young man is poised and is ready for CFB.

The NMS game is timely in that it could give both QB's valuable PT. I hope they both get a chance to show their stuff. Max's RS is gone so I assume that he will get as much PT as possible.

hilarious - yes switch Gray back to WR since he started his first game at QB since high school and has been playing QB this year since spring practice. you just can't make this stuff up. :D

Agree. Gray's the man. I wish that he would tuck the ball high and tight instead of swinging it though.

The game has changed.

Rotating quarterbacks is not a problem.

And ours have totally different games.

Maybe if we continue to play Shortell some of the time, and not just because of injury to Gray, have Gray be a receiver during periods when Shortell is playing?

Gray isn't going to be moved to WR. Part of his issues with consistancy and looking shaky are merely a product of him not playing QB for so long.
We play in a system where will likely need to have more than 1 QB play in most games and I think there will be enough snaps for all the players to go around. I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility that Gray could get moved to WR next season but it won't be happening anytime soon.

I think Gray is going to look better and better as the season goes on.

there's no reason shortell can't take meaningful snaps this year while being the #2. having him take a series or two each game would give opposing d's a lot to gameplan for.

Dual Threat QBs

I like this...

there's no reason shortell can't take meaningful snaps this year while being the #2. having him take a series or two each game would give opposing d's a lot to gameplan for.

I'd stick with Gray too, but I was extremely disappointed when he fumbled right out of the gate today. He's only going to get better, I can't complain about how he threw the ball today.

Breakin' The Plane said:
I'd stick with Gray too, but I was extremely disappointed when he fumbled right out of the gate today. He's only going to get better, I can't complain about how he threw the ball today.

I agree Gray looked good on several of his throws, particularly in the 2nd half before he got hurt. But it isn't his athleticism that concerns me. He clearly was too slow making decisions and reads on those optionish plays. If the game hasn't slowed down for him in 3 years of college, it never will. No mTter which position you're lining up at.

Lets stop this nonsense.
After Gray's one good drive in junk time versus OSU in 2009 half the people on this board and 2/3 in the student section were convinced that Gray was better than Weber. Now after Shortell goes 7 of 13 for 98 versus Gray's 7 of 12 for 94, Gray is somehow a bad QB.

There is no controversy.

+1

Lets stop this nonsense.

There is no controversy.

Spoken like someone who just looked at the stats. Shortell looked much more poised/in control and capable of making throws than Q did today. It isn't a good thing when a true freshman looks more calm and relaxed than a redshirt junior.

Start Shortell

I think we win this game by 10 points if Shortell started at quarterback and Gray played wide receiver.
I have thought Shortell should start and Gray should play receiver and I saw nothing to change my mind in this game.

+1

Gray isn't going to be moved to WR. Part of his issues with consistancy and looking shaky are merely a product of him not playing QB for so long.
We play in a system where will likely need to have more than 1 QB play in most games and I think there will be enough snaps for all the players to go around. I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility that Gray could get moved to WR next season but it won't be happening anytime soon.

I think Gray is going to look better and better as the season goes on.

+1

For those of us who really think Kill and Co will move Gray back to WR, you are dreaming. Ain't gonna happen even if at some point Shortell does become the starter. Parrish sin't ready to be the backup. The fact that we are talking about this after one game is extremely humorous to me. :D

I think we win this game by 10 points if Shortell started at quarterback and Gray played wide receiver.
I have thought Shortell should start and Gray should play receiver and I saw nothing to change my mind in this game.

On the other hand, Jerry Kill also occasionally watches football and has Gray as his starter.
Already a quarterback controversy by some folks, and we're one game into the season. Gotta love GH.

Gray looked very uncomfortable behind center, buuuuuut he hasn't played qb regularly for a while while Max played last year. Gray is by far the better athlete. Let Gray play against inferior talent and get comfortable under center. If he hasn't proven he is a quality starter after the NDSU game then its time to maybe re-evaluate. Max should get snaps, but the majority should be for Gray.

Start Shortell

I don’t get it; you have an amazing wr in Gray and you want to play him at qb. You have other options for qb and Gray is in no way clearly better than those options. Play the best 11, get Gray out there as a wr and whoever is you next best qb; clearly Shortell after watching him today.

As I posted before Tubby made the mistake of playing Hoffarber at point when he should have given Mav a chance and kept Blake shooting…

Play Gray at Wr because his is a great Wr and play Shortell at qb because then you have two great targets; plus Lair, plus Green…..

Question: Do you know the one thing this team and Jerry Kill really don't need? Answer: A quarterback controversy to ruin Kill's entire first season.

We saw how well an immobile QB looked with with Gray as a WR last season. Gray was simply OK, and the QB stunk. You want that repeated? Nothing will drum up a faster exit for Jerry Kill as the Gopher coach than more of the same idiocy repeated from the past two seasons.

I don’t get it; you have an amazing wr in Gray and you want to play him at qb. You have other options for qb and Gray is in no way clearly better than those options. Play the best 11, get Gray out there as a wr and whoever is you next best qb; clearly Shortell after watching him today.

As I posted before Tubby made the mistake of playing Hoffarber at point when he should have given Mav a chance and kept Blake shooting…

Play Gray at Wr because his is a great Wr and play Shortell at qb because then you have two great targets; plus Lair, plus Green…..

Perhaps you don't realize that Gray was a highly-touted recruit not at wide receiver, but at QUARTERBACK.

Whoever the QB is does NOT lack for decent WRs to throw to this season. Several of the kids showed good ability today, including the return of Brandon Green.

just like he should...backup QB. Nothing more, nothing less.

I thought Gray did pretty well for a guy in his first start at QB, on the road, against a team with more talent. I thought Shortell did well under the same circumstances magnified by the fact that he's a true freshman. 'Quis took a lot of hits today and the Gophers are going to need to rotate in a backup at times to keep him healthy, Shortell was going to burn his redshirt one way or the other. I think the ideal situation is for Gray to remain the starter and for Max to be given every 3rd or 4th series. I don't see the need for any controversy at all.

Top Bottom