Now Who?

Les Miles. He wants redemption at a Power 5 program and he has won big. Instant credibility.

This is about the only hire I don't think will be a disaster.

Les Miles. He wants redemption at a Power 5 program and he has won big. Instant credibility.

FYI - Just need to vent.

This is the only hire that will make me feel better about this situation. If you fire someone, you better darn well replace him with someone who is better. Chip Kelly is not coming to Minnesota, PJ Fleck is not someone who is far and away a better coach than Claeys.

The lack of a Press Conference is really infuriating to me. A leader must be willing to defend the decisions he makes not hide behind a Press Release that only speaks to a conversation he had with Tracy and an associate. There was no mention about timeline/future.

Only in Minnesota will you find a coach with 9 wins, top 5 APR, and a top 10 graduation rate be fired over a tweet in which he voiced support of due process for his players.

I'm not to the point where I blame the administration for killing our football program. But botch this hire and I'll spend my money on something other than tickets.

End Rant

That sounds perfect for the Gophers. Talk about how a Western Michigan team looked like crap, but go and look at a coach that went 5-6 last year in the NSIC last year. Sign me up

Not sure but I thought his record was better this year with a win over a d2 school. Not advocating for the guy but dont ignore all of the facts. Edit:. Nevermind, the record was worse in 2016 than 2015 but still included a solid win. Still harder to win ar SMSU than it will ever be at the U.

Anybody but Milk Toast Marc Trestman. Damn it I just jinxed it, Rosen and Sid will be pimping Trestman to Coyle if they have not already been.

Flight Plan KAZO to MSP.JPG

EDV3721 CRJ Minneapolis/St Paul Intl (MSP) 09:43a EST 09:47a CST

This shows a flight coming tomorrow morning from Kalamazoo MI to Minneapolis on a private jet. I was informed this suggests PJ Fleck might be coming in to interview!

Loved the Wacker years, loved the Mason years, loved the Brewster years, loved the Kill years, loved the Claeys year and a half.

Yeah- I see your name and immediately I feel warmed by the love for your gophers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We could mess with Nick Saban and quickly hire Sarkisian before this weekend. That would generate some buzz for the program.

We could mess with Nick Saban and quickly hire Sarkisian before this weekend. That would generate some buzz for the program.

Major troll and revenge for Bloomington Grad. I like it, just get a low buyoutnso we can fire him after the game

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
FYI - Just need to vent.

This is the only hire that will make me feel better about this situation. If you fire someone, you better darn well replace him with someone who is better. Chip Kelly is not coming to Minnesota, PJ Fleck is not someone who is far and away a better coach than Claeys.

The lack of a Press Conference is really infuriating to me. A leader must be willing to defend the decisions he makes not hide behind a Press Release that only speaks to a conversation he had with Tracy and an associate. There was no mention about timeline/future.

Only in Minnesota will you find a coach with 9 wins, top 5 APR, and a top 10 graduation rate be fired over a tweet in which he voiced support of due process for his players.

I'm not to the point where I blame the administration for killing our football program. But botch this hire and I'll spend my money on something other than tickets.

End Rant

+1. And if this hire was not already in the works prior to the firing, I remove my + and simply quit.

I assume they already know who they are hiring. They wouldn't pull the plug this close to signing day, unless they had someone to plug right in.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Of course they would. It's the university of Minnesota administration.

Lou Holtz said Sid wants him to come back.

Now that Claeys is officially fired, who will be our next head coach? How many players will leave? I am sure everyone here feels like I do...my head is spinning and I just want a great football team in addition to our hockey program. Why can't we have some stability and return to the ranks of an elite program!?!

I'd rather have a strong basketball team and football team. The basketball team is trending the right direction. Could care less about the hockey team :)

This shows a flight coming tomorrow morning from Kalamazoo MI to Minneapolis on a private jet. I was informed this suggests PJ Fleck might be coming in to interview!

If this is for an interview and not a public announcement as the new coach - again, this shows we are stuck in Amateur Hour.

Burn the boat and shove an oar up Fleck's behind if he get's on that booster plane. He would be sacrificing his career if he came to this coaching graveyard.

Smart money is on someone not even mentioned on GopherHole in the days leading up to the announcement.

The hotter we think we are in guessing.. the colder we really are.

Remember this quote?

"It's the same thing every place I've ever been. I suppose if this was a great job, I wouldn't be here. That's what I'm saying. They would have had somebody else hired." -- Jerry Kill.

More than any of his previous stops, Minnesota seemed to go out of it's way to make the job as hard as possible, oftentimes unnecessarily so. Academics and work-ethic are areas that had major turnaround in the last 6 years. Based on the history of this staff, the winning was harder to come by in Minneapolis, I believe because it's so hard to get good players to come.

Actually, I heard Alabama just fired Saban over the way he handled the departure of Lane Kiffin. My sources say a small plane is on it's way as we speak from Tuscaloosa with none other than Nick Saban himself eager to get back into a Big Ten coaching job.

Doesn't anyone remember how hard it was to find a coach when Kill was hired, it will be much harder to get someone this time.

Outside the box idea: Gus Bradley?

NFL failures don't equate to NCAA failures. Just ask Steve Spurrier, Bobby Petrino and Nick Saban, to name a few. He's also a MN native, and we know how much that means in this state.

My money is on a Richard Pitino like situation, where this drags on for weeks and we end up with our 6th-9th choice.

This. I get the feeling Coyle is about to learn the same lesson Megatongue did. Coaches will use Coyle to get better deals at their current school or elsewhere. It will be a rude awakening. I will be shocked if we get a "name" coach here, especially after that S.I. article suggesting that Minnesota is the flagship school for chaos in athletics.

Top Bottom