Notre Dame and North Carolina COVID Outbreaks - When Does ACC Cancel Season

TruthSeeker

Reaction score
How many days until the ACC cancels their football season: 1 week, 10 days, 2 weeks?

Probably 50/50 they shut it down in next week.
If they’re carefully analyzing the actual risk of the virus vs the cost of losing the season, they won’t blink and play the season out. On the other hand, there’s also a good chance they cave to political pressure and hysteria like the Big 10.

If they’re carefully analyzing the actual risk of the virus vs the cost of losing the season, they won’t blink and play the season out. On the other hand, there’s also a good chance they cave to political pressure and hysteria like the Big 10.
Not about political pressure and whatnot. Its about common sense for the long run.

Would be funny to see Clemson, Florida St, or some other schools like that threaten to leave the ACC if they do.

I would laugh.

Great post. We need more rational analysis like this.
Don't et MplsGopher bother you; he's on "ignore" by over 2X his nearest rival LOL

Kids like Coney Durr, Micah Drew-Treadway, and others in their final season with the Gophers probably would want to play if given the opportunity to showcase their talent for a shot at the NFL.

We will see what happens very shortly. What is going on at Notre Dame and North Carolina?

What political pressure and hysteria are you referring to? Do you think the Big 10 presidents were excited to forego tens of millions in revenue when they pulled the plug on football? Certainly not. They did it because the country is in (hopefully) a once-in-a-lifetime epidemic. ACC made a different decision and that's perfectly fine. I think they will move forward no matter what.

Setting aside less tangible costs, which undoubtably will add up to be far greater, the Big 10 just forfeited billions of dollars in 2020 revenue to protect against a virus that is about as dangerous as the flu for most age groups. It clearly wasn’t logic that led to that decision, so my assumption is there are other forces and play.

Unfortunately, it's very unlikely that a vaccine will be developed to significantly eliminate this virus as scientists from both the public and private sectors world-wide have yet to develop one for any of the other related Covid viruses. That means that we will eventually have to accept some level of sickness/death rate from this virus in order to live a "normal" life WITH Covid-19. Today, the present sickness/death rate, is unacceptable; hence masks, social distancing, etc.. However, I believe people will tolerate/accept those requirements for only so much longer; six months to a year, maybe. The wear and tear on the human psyche is already very evident in society. If it turns out that masks, social distancing, washing of hands, shutdowns, etc. don't slow the rate enough to more fully return to most previous norms, or if an unintended consequence(s) of wearing masks are respiratory or other medical issues, that tolerance/acceptance will end even sooner. The reason I mention masks is the medically known reduction in mask efficacy when worn too long. This doesn't include homemade masks that aren't getting washed frequently enough and are laden with all sorts of viruses and bacteria that we re-breathe. That said, we need to do everything we can do to protect the people most vulnerable to Covid-19 going forward. For the rest of us, many difficult life and lifestyle decisions await... When to continue watch our favorite sports is only one of them.

Setting aside less tangible costs, which undoubtably will add up to be far greater, the Big 10 just forfeited billions of dollars in 2020 revenue to protect against a virus that is about as dangerous as the flu for most age groups. It clearly wasn’t logic that led to that decision, so my assumption is there are other forces and play.

The "about as dangerous as the flu" line has got to stop. Covid is much worse. That said, its a one-off and history will look favorably or, more likely, without much interest, on the Big Ten's decision to delay an autumn football season.

Unfortunately, it's very unlikely that a vaccine will be developed to significantly eliminate this virus as scientists from both the public and private sectors world-wide have yet to develop one for any of the other related Covid viruses. That means that we will eventually have to accept some level of sickness/death rate from this virus in order to live a "normal" life WITH Covid-19. Today, the present sickness/death rate, is unacceptable; hence masks, social distancing, etc.. However, I believe people will tolerate/accept those requirements for only so much longer; six months to a year, maybe. The wear and tear on the human psyche is already very evident in society. If it turns out that masks, social distancing, washing of hands, shutdowns, etc. don't slow the rate enough to more fully return to most previous norms, or if an unintended consequence(s) of wearing masks are respiratory or other medical issues, that tolerance/acceptance will end even sooner. The reason I mention masks is the medically known reduction in mask efficacy when worn too long. This doesn't include homemade masks that aren't getting washed frequently enough and are laden with all sorts of viruses and bacteria that we re-breathe. That said, we need to do everything we can do to protect the people most vulnerable to Covid-19 going forward. For the rest of us, many difficult life and lifestyle decisions await... When to continue watch our favorite sports is only one of them.

I think there will be a vaccine but it might not be the best. This is going to be with us a while.

To be fair, nobody has tried nearly as hard to create a vaccine for the other coronaviruses. Those either petered out quickly (SARS and MERS) or just don't scare people that much because they cause the common cold like hundreds of other minor viruses.

The rapid global effort for a COVID-19 vaccine blows away the effort for any other disease in human history, including polio and HIV. Most of the time vaccines aren't that interesting to the businesses that create them because there's much more money in treating diseases than preventing them. For this one moment in time, the vaccine race will mint billionaires. So economics says there will be a TON of interest.

I agree with you that COVID-19 or its mutations will live on in some form and we won't totally eradicate them. I also think there's bound to be a vaccine or 10 out of all the global efforts that substantially reduces risk, much like flu vaccines today. It's highly unlikely that from all the promising early results so far that all work in progress will fail.

I think there will be a vaccine but it might not be the best. This is going to be with us a while.
What does might not be the best mean?

With 70% effectiveness, it would be very good.

Bolded is silly and illogical.

That's like saying before the space race that putting a man in space could not be done, because no country had done it yet.

What does might not be the best mean?

With 70% effectiveness, it would be very good.

Maybe 50% effective for the mRNA vaccines that require two shot annually. Viral vectors perhaps better.

Maybe 50% effective for the mRNA vaccines that require two shot annually. Viral vectors perhaps better.
50% would not be as helpful.

Are you just saying if that’s the case, then .... or doing you have early reports from the phase 3’s indicating that?

If next summer rolls around and we are in the same boat then it is appropriate to start thinking about how to get life back to normal because at that point we would have to accept that this is going to be a more permanent thing.

But with what little we know about this and the hope of a vaccine on the horizon the best thing to do is temporarily change our lifestyles until we determine the outcome of thevaccine.

Bolded is silly and illogical.

That's like saying before the space race that putting a man in space could not be done, because no country had done it yet.
Thanks for your comments. I said unlikely to be developed and I hold to that position. I hope we do develop a highly effective vaccine, and yes the world scientific community is working diligently to create one. Unfortunately, I don't expect a miracle type of "cure" anytime soon. I believe that is a realistic view.

Here's a thought.

The conferences are supposedly basing their decisions on advice from "medical experts." But the conferences are getting different opinions on the seriousness of the situation.

So, I find myself wondering - are these medical experts the equivalent of the 'team doctors' they used to have in the good old days who could be influenced by the coaches when it came to determining if a player was ok to participate.

Are conferences going out and finding medical experts who will tell them what they want to hear?

as crazy as things are these days, nothing is impossible.

Thanks for your comments. I said unlikely to be developed and I hold to that position. I hope we do develop a highly effective vaccine, and yes the world scientific community is working diligently to create one. Unfortunately, I don't expect a miracle type of "cure" anytime soon. I believe that is a realistic view.
A vaccine isn't a cure. A cure is a treatment given to someone with the disease (in this case, an active virus infection) that eliminates the disease and all symptoms.

I'm probably technically wrong, but I don't think there really are any actual medical cures for diseases caused by virus infections. Your body simply kills the virus off, or it doesn't, while medicines treat the symptoms of the disease.

ACC should pull the plug on football. Its a bad look for their stronger academic institutions (looking at you UNC, UVA, BC, Pitt, and Duke) to be forging ahead with football given challenges they are experiencing on campus. SEC and B12? Who cares, honestly.

50% would not be as helpful.

Are you just saying if that’s the case, then .... or doing you have early reports from the phase 3’s indicating that?

No inside knowledge, but its the two-shot regimen that has people concerned. A jab and run vaccine would have better chance of success.

ACC should pull the plug on football. Its a bad look for their stronger academic institutions (looking at you UNC, UVA, BC, Pitt, and Duke) to be forging ahead with football given challenges they are experiencing on campus. SEC and B12? Who cares, honestly.
Don’t forget Cuse, GT, and VT.

No inside knowledge, but its the two-shot regimen that has people concerned. A jab and run vaccine would have better chance of success.
Why would that be a concern? Get infected between the two shots?

Again more college students will die of alcohol poisoning before Labor Day than will die of COVID19.

Top Bottom