Notre Dame and North Carolina COVID Outbreaks - When Does ACC Cancel Season

If the remaining 3 Power Five conferences can play they should and will. CDC statistics show that the age group of 15-24 has a .00053 percent chance of death due to to Covid. I have mentioned it before, but college age kids have an immune system that will beat Covid time and time again. This country needs to start healing and college football is part of that process for many Americans, it brings a sense of normalcy to our lives. The BIG botched postponing the season as it certainly didn't need to be announced as early as it was. Even if it turns out that it wont be possible to play at some time this fall, they didn't even give it a shot. So frustrating!

70% of the ICU hospitalizations and overall hospitalizations in Minnesota are from people under 70 years old. Yes, only 20% of deaths are from people under 70 but younger people are getting very sick.

...and they fully recover.

Devastation and catastrophe. Thousands of young college students test positive for a virus they never would have known they had if they hadn't been tested. What in the world are we going to do???

Pretend to give a rat's ass about the harm being done to kids when all you really care about is football?

Seriously? If you do not realize that Trump is a clown, you are not a conservative, you are an idiot. Enough politics, back to the topic.

I think Trump's a clown but that has nothing to do with his post.

Also, you cannot detach the Covid discussion from politics. It'd be nice if it were possible, but it's not.

Trump has approval rating of around 90 percent in the party, so I guess there are a lot of idiots like me. I did not start the politics topic in this thread, the leftist who mentioned Sinclair Broadcasting did.
That is because many have left the party. Just look at the lists of Conservatives with actual government experience that do not approve of him.

I'm proud to be intolerant of racists, bigots, discriminating against LGBT, discriminating against women, etc.

Tolerance of intolerance, is not a virtue, in any way, shape, or form.

Who the hell is Seth Abramson? He comes off as expert. Truth be told, he is a certified idiot.

It's too bad we never get to see breakdowns of their symptoms. I'm assuming that information is out there, somewhere. That would bring us much closer to the full story.

The follow link is nothing more than a rumor: https://www.si.com/college/michigan...-big-ten-2020-season-postponement-cancelation

Quotes nothing more than anonymous "sources". But it does make for fun watercooler talk. Which is all I take it for. Click-bait.

TL;DR -- the ACC said it was going to cancel this fall too, and with 3 out of 5 in hand, is why the Big Ten went ahead. But then Notre Dame came in at the last second and offered the ACC a deal too good to resist, in order to back out of the agreement.

While there wasn't a uniformed agreement between Power 5 power-brokers, our sources both in Chicago and Ann Arbor said the expectation was that once the Big Ten made its announcement, the Pac 12 would immediately follow (as it did) and then the ACC would follow suit too, putting tremendous pressure on the SEC and Big 12. The Big 12 would go next, and then the SEC, with nothing left to play for, would reluctantly give in.

So why the ACC third? Because many of the universities within the conference are esteemed educational schools, led by the same academic minds that populate the Big Ten. Particularly Duke, North Carolina, Virginia, Georgia Tech and even Florida State (surprisingly, the No. 18 public university nationally) were supposed to be in lockstep with the Big Ten and wield enough power to force the entire ACC into following the Big Ten's lead.

That didn't happen. And if you're looking for another reason to hate Notre Dame, now you have it.

"Notre Dame really wanted to play and was willing to enter into an agreement that could lead to something down the road ... at the very least, more games every year against ACC teams," an insider shared. "They're adamance about playing was the ace-in-the-hole a group, led by Clemson, needed to really push for a season and turn the tide in favor of ignoring the Big Ten.

"I mean, if Notre Dame, with their academic reputation and their national brand, was willing to go forward ... it sort of just sealed the ACC's fate."

While the ACC and the SEC were not entirely on the same page (look at how they had different approaches to non-conference contests), they each provided the other with enough cover to plot out a season. The Big 12, and most prominently Texas, which didn't want to lose ground to the SEC powers while already trying to play catch-up, pushed forward too.

Maybe 50% effective for the mRNA vaccines that require two shot annually. Viral vectors perhaps better.
I assume by this post that you have some reason to not be as hopeful with the mRNA based candidates?

Just another interesting thing I learned about them this morning:

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/m...estions-about-storage-distribution-2020-08-27

Executives from Moderna and Pfizer on Wednesday separately told the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s Advisory Committee on Immunization Practice on Wednesday that mRNA-1273, which is Moderna’s coronavirus vaccine candidate, requires a storage temperature of negative 4 degrees Fahrenheit. BioNTech and Pfizer’s candidates, BN1162b2 and BNT162b2, need to be stored in negative 94 degrees Fahrenheit.
Officials at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said they are aware of the issue.

Dr. Kathleen Dooling, a medical officer for the agency’s division of viral diseases, said Wednesday that storage, distribution, and handling requirements of these vaccines “will make it very difficult for community clinics and local pharmacies to store and administer.” She also noted that most vaccines will have to be “administered at centralized sites with adequate equipment and high throughput.”

That is because many have left the party. Just look at the lists of Conservatives with actual government experience that do not approve of him.
Even more telling is the number of his own political appointees who say they are not voting for him. They would know better than anyone else. That is unprecedented and should be very troubling to anyone who can think critically.

Top Bottom