Not much news, but somewhat intriguing

Wheaton

Reaction score
Doogie just shot out a tweet:

"coaching update from a source tonight: Sumlin is still very much in the mix... as is Temple's Al Golden. Should know more this week"

Sumlin has to be the front runner. He has been at the forefront of rumors even before Brewster was fired and he is still hanging around.

Another interesting mark on Golden. I thought he was a big no for sure, but he may be interested....

I think it's a stretch to call Sumlin the frontrunner. Personally, I never thought Al Golden would be attainable, because he could be a popular choice for the Penn St job.

"coaching update from a source tonight: Sumlin is still very much in the mix... as is Temple's Al Golden. Should know more this week"

Sumlin has to be the front runner. He has been at the forefront of rumors even before Brewster was fired and he is still hanging around.

If we hire Sumlin, I'm just going to puke. His teams play no defense. I'm sorry, but I just don't want to see us win, or lose games 55-50. Other than than the fact that he was an assistant here, why is he even being considered? He's 5-6 this year in a mediocre league mostly with kids he's recruited. I want no part, of any former assistant, from any staff of the coaches we've had to let go because they couldn't succeed here long term.

If Sumlin's the man we hire, I'll stick to basketball, baseball and hockey.

That's good to hear about Golden, I think he would be a good choice.

If we hire Sumlin, I'm just going to puke. His teams play no defense. I'm sorry, but I just don't want to see us win, or lose games 55-50. Other than than the fact that he was an assistant here, why is he even being considered? He's 5-6 this year in a mediocre league mostly with kids he's recruited. I want no part, of any former assistant, from any staff of the coaches we've had to let go because they couldn't succeed here long term.

Well according to Doogie, who is more informed than the rest of us, Sumlin would be able to surround himself with a GREAT! staff, therefore the defense and other things would likely improve.

Also Sumlin has been a fringe candidate for several teams, not just Minnesota. Tennessee had interest in him last year I know and Colorado has interest in him right now.

Well according to Doogie, who is more informed than the rest of us, Sumlin would be able to surround himself with a GREAT! staff, therefore the defense and other things would likely improve.

Also Sumlin has been a fringe candidate for several teams, not just Minnesota. Tennessee had interest in him last year I know and Colorado has interest in him right now.

As good as a staff as Brewster was going to hire? That worked out great.

Another tweet from Doogie.

"On Golden, the "U" has reached out to him/his agent. No clue if interest is mutual. Sumlin interested, but not sold on "U", at least yet."

So we know that The search firm has contacted the guys that fans want to hear about.

1. Harbaugh - No
2. Golden - unknown
3. Sumlin - Interest

Chances are they have contacted Peterson, Patterson, Calhoun and coach Ken. So they are doing their homework.

Comparing Brewster and Sumlin at this point is totally unfair.

The two are completely different

Not at all comparing Brewster and Sumlin (not really, anyway), but I just get worried about getting someone who would not be in my top six or seven baed upon the premise he will be able to hire a great staff. If Sumlin would be able to, why couldn't Hoke, Calhoun, Belotti, or anybody else?

Sumlin may be great, I just prefer others.

Another interesting mark on Golden. I thought he was a big no for sure, but he may be interested....

No way Al Golden is interested unless PSU has told him he will not be considered to replace Paterno...everything we hear around Temple is that Golden isn't going anywhere.

I personally am holding out hope for Calhoun. He is my top realistic cadidate

Sumlin's starting his a true Freshman who's actually the 3rd stringer due to injuries. Tough offense to master as a true freshman. It's rumored he was Florida's #1 choice when Urban Meyer briefly retired & was even flown in for an interview. Still not sure I'm sold on him, but after hearing those things I changed my mind on Sumlin somewhat. I still don't think it's a home run & we need a home run. Speaking of home runs, Al Golden is not one. He might be the finest football mind in the nation, but Al Golden isn't going to energize the fan base & fill our new stadium next year.

I'm thinking Mike Belotti looks more & more likely.

if you believe what they say both Maturi and Bruininks want a coach who 1) is an established D1 head coach 2) with a winning record 3) preferably someone who has turned around a program.

To me, someone with less than 5 years of head coaching experience at a very small D1 school doesn't get me excited.

i'll say it again: Sumlin strikes me as more of a hot name right now than a proven, established winner.

Should know more on Sumlin in the next few days... I'm not convinced that he's sold on coming here... at this point, believe the U's interest is stronger in him, than flip-side... and yes, he's also in the mix in Boulder.

No way Al Golden is interested unless PSU has told him he will not be considered to replace Paterno...everything we hear around Temple is that Golden isn't going anywhere.

At some point Al Golden is going to have to figure it out. He may get a 5-year/$10 million offer to coach the Golden Gophers. Is he seriously going to turn down that kind of money on the chance that he might be the Joe Pa's replacement? There are a lot of other people who also think they are a candidate to replace Joe Pa. Tom Bradley thinks he has a stake in it. Galen Hall thinks he has a stake in it. They are in-house. Greg Schiano will want it. Rumors rumbled a year or two ago that Bill Cowher would be interested.

Continuing to win at Temple is no bargain. Joe Pa could go another 4-5 years and Golden could have a couple of 5-7s and he'd be out all the jobs. If there's one thing over the years that MAC coaches have learned it is to jump while the jumpin' is good.

I agree with SD23

if you believe what they say both Maturi and Bruininks want a coach who 1) is an established D1 head coach 2) with a winning record 3) preferably someone who has turned around a program.

To me, someone with less than 5 years of head coaching experience at a very small D1 school doesn't get me excited.

i'll say it again: Sumlin strikes me as more of a hot name right now than a proven, established winner.

I am not excited about Sumlin either. I would not call a guy with his limited experience "established." He had a couple of good years with the last coaches players and system. As far as a winning record, he sure doesn't have one this year in a weak conference. People want to say that it is because his starting QB got hurt. I think it is because Dana Holgorson took his magic to OK State and because Art Brile's players have started graduating. As far as turning a program around, it looks to me that he is turning it in the wrong direction. Maybe we should be interviewing Holgorson.

I am not excited about Sumlin either. I would not call a guy with his limited experience "established." He had a couple of good years with the last coaches players and system. As far as a winning record, he sure doesn't have one this year in a weak conference. People want to say that it is because his starting QB got hurt. I think it is because Dana Holgorson took his magic to OK State and because Art Brile's players have started graduating. As far as turning a program around, it looks to me that he is turning it in the wrong direction. Maybe we should be interviewing Holgorson.

So far, no one has said anything that gets me even somewhat excited about Sumlin. He took an 8-4 team (2005) and is now 23-15. That's about a 60% winning ratio. Briles had a 55% winning ratio. That's a slight improvement, but nothing that says he's a big time coaching hire. If Maturi is stupid enough to hire him, if I were Sumlin, I'd take the money and go with it.

On a scale of 1-10, I'd place this hire at a solid "4".

The only thing I can say with confidence is Sumlin is better than Brewster.

Maturi and Bruinicks have both stated that the hiring football criteria include a coach who is successful on both sides of the ball. Sumlin can't be a top candidate with his less than stellar performance on D/. Unless he is leading in other categories that would negate his football skill, he is doubtful to be ahead of Golden and others. Too one-sided.

If Sumlin is hired, there will be 4 more premium season tickets put back on the market. I'm sick and tired of not having a defense.

if you believe what they say both Maturi and Bruininks want a coach who 1) is an established D1 head coach 2) with a winning record 3) preferably someone who has turned around a program.To me, someone with less than 5 years of head coaching experience at a very small D1 school doesn't get me excited.

Sumlin is a merely a buzz word. I want a seasoned established coach. If we can't get Belotti, then look no further than Jerry Kill. He fits the description to a T.

Golden and Bellotti have been my 1 and 1A since the search started.

I agree on the Penn State situation. They may continue to roll out JoePa as the head coach for another decade. It could be a Captain Pike kind of deal.

Galen Hall is probably too old (70) to be considered the next head coach at Penn State, but Bradley is only in his early 50s and with 30+ years on the PSU staff, I have to think he's the number one candidate to succeed JoePa unless Joe goes until he's 100.

Maybe it's just me being overly optimistic, but I think we should really try to sell Golden on the situation.

I'm not a big Sumlin fan. Golden would be good, but it sounds like he's waiting for the Penn State job. I'm still holding out for Hoke or Mullin. I think either of those guys have a lot of potential.

Comparing Sumlin to Brewster is unfair, he coaches most like Wacker.
Wacker had some terrific offenses, and we still got killed by the power teams, just like Sumlin would.
Spare me the great assistants crap. Good head coaches don't need a DC to tell them what defense they want to run.

My source tells me that the search firm has contacted potential candidates. Some have expressed interest, some have declined and some are unsure yet. The source says the process will continue until a new coach is hired. (Now there's some real news!)

By the way, for those who apparently missed it, forget Bellotti. He announced the other day that he will wait for his son to graduate from high school before he takes another job.

Golden mention = instant boner

Okay, if this is putting you in an awkward situation, just think about Trestman (now you can feel more comfortable about going up to the chalkboard to answer the math question).

Top Bottom