Northwestern Fires Pat Fitzgerald

Notwithstanding all the titillating allegations, as between Fitzgerald and Northwestern, this is really just a contract dispute. Fitzgerald has a contract. That contract governs the terms of his employment and almost certainly has provisions governing separation from employment both for cause and without cause. In the end, that document will govern what Fitz is entitled to receive.

There may be a lawsuit, but a settlement seems inevitable and I would be shocked if the case goes to trial.

**Fitz wants as much money as possible, but he knows that there is no good defense for claims that he either knew or should have known of improper conduct in his program. He was paid millions to know.

**Fitz also knows that, as a still relatively young man, his opportunity to be a head coach again or land a media gig depends in large part on putting this matter behind him quickly and with as little public airing of any dirty laundry as possible.

**The University must know that they have badly bungled the handling of this investigation and, no matter what facts may come out, they will have a hard time moving forward having terminated the most popular figure in program history. That would be true whether they bludgeon him in court with the proof that he ran a program rife with abuse or whether Fitz debunks the claims of misconduct within his program and establishes that he was terminated without cause.

**Usually in cases like this it's the employer that places the most importance on protecting the institution, but here I think that might be reversed. While Fitz is mad now, he's given his life to the Northwestern football program and I don't think he'll be willing to destroy everything that has been built there in pursuit of an extra $2M (or $10M). The President hasn't been on the job for a year yet. The AD has been there just two years. They didn't hire Fitzgerald and they don't have a fraction of his popularity or profile on campus or off. He is the face of Northwestern football and, for many, the University itself. I can't see him pursuing a course that forces the players and the University through prolonged litigation and further tarnishes the legacy that has been so important to him.

**Both sides here can benefit from a confidential settlement since much of the information that would become public in court or as part of a settlement at a state school can remain confidential at a private one. There are no clean hands here and I think they will agree that everyone is better off resolving the dispute as quietly as possible.

Thinking about it, what happens if this goes to court and Fitz wins? Remember when the coach at MSU-Mankato got fired for having naked pics of his kids dancing around the house on his phone, and then when all was said and done, they had to take him back?

What are the odds that either in court or some kind of arbitration, that he's completely exonerated and then what?

Thinking about it, what happens if this goes to court and Fitz wins? Remember when the coach at MSU-Mankato got fired for having naked pics of his kids dancing around the house on his phone, and then when all was said and done, they had to take him back?

What are the odds that either in court or some kind of arbitration, that he's completely exonerated and then what?
Money.

I doubt Fitz wants to work for the same people who hosed him.

Good question.
I would guess he doesn’t want the job back.
I would guess if he wins it means he gets his whole buyout.

The Mankato thing was strange because it was strange for someone to want the job back.
If it was me, I would want damages but I wouldn’t want the job back

Good question.

The Mankato thing was strange because it was strange for someone to want the job back.
You mean you wouldn’t want to work for this clearly incompetent administration?? Weird /s

Good question.

Does NU being a private school change the rules on that? I genuinely don’t know. If it was a similar case to MSU I could see Fitz being willing to go back just because of how much he loves that university.

Does NU being a private school change the rules on that? I genuinely don’t know. If it was a similar case to MSU I could see Fitz being willing to go back just because of how much he loves that university.
I’m not sure

This is a bad deal all around for both Fitz and NW.
Bad deal seems to imply the situation just happened to them. Whatever we think of the decision to fire, I can see no way to interpret that NW got a bad deal. This situation could easily become a Harvard Business School case study on mismanaging a crisis by the NW administration. It’s left anyone observing wondering what they really knew, what they “asked for” in the investigation, and what made them change their minds on the punishment. Mostly because they have said nothing and answered no questions. Really brutal crisis management. I’d have more sympathy for them if they displayed any degree of honesty and competence at all.

Good question.

It was strange. Plus, he'd already accepted the head coach job at Minot State, in the same conference. Granted, I'd rather live in Mankato than Minot, but he really kind of screwed over Minot as well which wasn't cool.

Yeah, it's making one of the nation's most respected universities look like the Keystone Cops. It's a joke.
Agree it makes them look bad, but no way you can fire whole staff this close to training camp.

Agree it makes them look bad, but no way you can fire whole staff this close to training camp.
I mean you can. Just will make the team suck more. Which based on their last few years, unsure it’s possible to be much worse.

Why not? What happens?

Someone will take the job…
The logistics of it all just don't work which is why you don't see new coaches hired this time of year.

Even if they were to move lightning quick in the process it still takes weeks to interview and get through contract negotiations then get someone in place and settled. After that it takes time for that person to assemble their staff.

Plus out of respect for their colleagues there is no way the administration at Northwestern would want to start a domino effect of coaches moving as teams are starting their seasons. It just isn't right. You take some coach from the MAC, now that team is scrambling to fill their spot.

They will be able to get a huge jump on the process of hiring a new coach but they won't name one until after the season. At that point they will almost certainly clean house and whoever they hire will bring in a whole new staff.

This year will be a clusterf&ck with a lame duck staff working with players that will probably be considering their own exit strategies.

Haven’t read all the stories yet, but for them to fire him they must have some pretty strong evidence that he knew enough about what was going on.

Will be interesting to see where he goes from here but my guess is he will snag an NFL assistant gig somewhere and stay out of the spotlight for a little while.
The part that is bizarre is where NW attorneys say there is no specific evidence or details of whatever happened. This story could turn any direction but with privacy rules and legalities, we may never know. Both parties are smart and this could drag on for a long time. Not sure where the program goes after a guy like that gets fired.

The logistics of it all just don't work which is why you don't see new coaches hired this time of year.

Even if they were to move lightning quick in the process it still takes weeks to interview and get through contract negotiations then get someone in place and settled. After that it takes time for that person to assemble their staff.

Plus out of respect for their colleagues there is no way the administration at Northwestern would want to start a domino effect of coaches moving as teams are starting their seasons. It just isn't right. You take some coach from the MAC, now that team is scrambling to fill their spot.

They will be able to get a huge jump on the process of hiring a new coach but they won't name one until after the season. At that point they will almost certainly clean house and whoever they hire will bring in a whole new staff.

This year will be a clusterf&ck with a lame duck staff working with players that will probably be considering their own exit strategies.
Statement on the radio this morning said this:

Braun(or whatever his name is) is NOT the interim head coach. He is NOT the acting head coach. He is NOT acting as the head coach. He is a liason to the team only.

So I'd say they are not done looking for replacements. Orgeron and Wannestadt names were brought up by different outlets.

At least we don't have to worry about PJ jumping at this one...

Maybe it looks attractive to Brian Ferentz? That would make a lot of Hawks happy...

Statement on the radio this morning said this:

Braun(or whatever his name is) is NOT the interim head coach. He is NOT the acting head coach. He is NOT acting as the head coach. He is a liason to the team only.

So I'd say they are not done looking for replacements. Orgeron and Wannestadt names were brought up by different outlets.
Only way I see them doing something before the season would be if they were to hire a coach that is currently not coaching anywhere else. Not really sure what that person does for a staff but maybe they just agree to keep on some of the assistants for the season and then build their staff after it ends.

Will be interesting to see how it all plays out. The timing is going to make it messy no matter what they do.

Those are all just inconveniences…

They have ties to the area, lots of experience, and are currently not coaching. I can think of worse ideas.
I am going to guess they go the Purdue route and hire a young coordinator.
Much cheaper for a bigger upside.

They have ties to the area, lots of experience, and are currently not coaching. I can think of worse ideas.
Well and this may just be for this year as well. Until they are at a time of year that you can do a real search.

Well and this may just be for this year as well. Until they are at a time of year that you can do a real search.
yep i wouldn't be surprised to see a 1 year caretaker HC who has a ton of experience. won't do anything to turn the needle but serves as a stopgap.

yep i wouldn't be surprised to see a 1 year caretaker HC who has a ton of experience. won't do anything to turn the needle but serves as a stopgap.
Football version of Jim Molinari

Top Bottom