Non Gophers in the Portal

This is crazy. The portal is completely upending the traditional recruiting process across all collegiate sports.

This is crazy. The portal is completely upending the traditional recruiting process across all collegiate sports.

Tough deal for class of 2022 kids with all the chaos right now. Should all settle in eventually but has to suck for those fringe guys that in the past probably would have snagged a decent D1 offer but aren't getting them this year due to the portal and super seniors.

The extra year is more of the cause than the portal IMO. If not for the extra year, I don't think the portal would be as busy. Until the the 2020 extra year players are out of college, lack of spots will be an issue.

More reason for Fleck to call Caruso and maybe Gustavus etc. and set up a wink wink program.

The extra year is more of the cause than the portal IMO. If not for the extra year, I don't think the portal would be as busy. Until the the 2020 extra year players are out of college, lack of spots will be an issue.

More reason for Fleck to call Caruso and maybe Gustavus etc. and set up a wink wink program.
The extra years given to players are upsetting the 2022 class more, I believe. The portal doesn’t add or subtract players to or from the system. The extra year granted by COVID, however, effectively adds several hundred players who have stayed in the system past their normal tenure. Since scholarships (with one exception for teams ravaged by transfers—check out Indiana’s 2022 commits & transfers) are now capped again, the extra guys on the top are effectively taking spots from the good but lower ranked guys who would be entering at the bottom (class of 2022).

The portal (which arguably has more entrants than normal, because some, like Ky, don’t want to ride the bench while super seniors run out the string) perhaps temporarily magnifies the effect because teams such as the Gophers can find good talent at the venue, meaning they take even fewer HS recruits than the super seniors alone might cause. It will all sort out eventually as there are fewer and fewer players entitled to play six years.

Last edited:

😯
☃️ last stand
Yep, Frost knows he has to win now, so bringing in high school guys isn't probably a massive priority for him right now, he needs guys that can step foot on campus ready to play.

I think that this is an upgrade for them.

Don’t think he’s an upgrade over Martinez. But, Martinez is gone; Thompson is a big upgrade over what was left in the Neb QB room.

Last edited:

Georgia DB’s Latavious Brini, who started 11 games this season, and Jalen Kimber have entered the portal. Wide Receiver Justin Robinson also hit the portal. Hope PJ and the staff kick the tires….

Last edited:

Nebraska's coaches must be much less impressed with Smothers than some of us thought they were. I can't imagine he sticks around at Nebraska, right? Maybe he switches to WR?
Or maybe he beats out both Purdy and Thompson this spring? :cool:

You'd think maybe someone decent would want to play QB at NW?? Won the Big Ten West in 2018 and 2020, Fitz and his staff can coach when they have the Jimmy's and Joe's.

What's the deal with the rumors of Oklahoma's QB looking at Wisconsin? I'm assuming these are Wisconsin created rumors? Buddy who is a badger fan said they just picked up 2 guys from UCLA too.

You'd think maybe someone decent would want to play QB at NW?? Won the Big Ten West in 2018 and 2020, Fitz and his staff can coach when they have the Jimmy's and Joe's.
One of those west champs was Covid year which I discount for everyone

the other they were 8-4 then lost the bowl game.

Northwestern since 2010 has lost 6+ games 7 times
Northwestern since 2010 has won 6+ games 8 times

Since 2010 northwestern conference record 49-51

They are kind of the definition of mediocre but did a great job of taking advantage of the few opportunities to contend they have had.

What I’m saying is, I don’t disagree that they coach them up when they have them…but if I’m a good QB I don’t go there because they usually don’t have them. They’ve been last place in the division the last two full seasons in a row.

What's the deal with the rumors of Oklahoma's QB looking at Wisconsin? I'm assuming these are Wisconsin created rumors? Buddy who is a badger fan said they just picked up 2 guys from UCLA too.
This is the first I’ve heard of that rumor

This is the first I’ve heard of that rumor
Which makes sense, as it seems outlandish. These are Wisconsin sites when I googled it, but apparently (supposedly) both the Oklahoma 247 reporter and Wisconsin 247 reporter confirmed mutual interest. I dont pay for 247 so I dont know what the message boards are saying to that point. What also makes no sense is I thought this kid wanted millions in NIL money? He isn't getting that at UW or in Wisconsin.

Which makes sense, as it seems outlandish. These are Wisconsin sites when I googled it, but apparently (supposedly) both the Oklahoma 247 reporter and Wisconsin 247 reporter confirmed mutual interest. I dont pay for 247 so I dont know what the message boards are saying to that point. What also makes no sense is I thought this kid wanted millions in NIL money? He isn't getting that at UW or in Wisconsin.

He also probably wants to run an offense that features him rather than the Mertz special offense

Honestly, if it happens I am not that worried about it. They are going to be a tough out but beatable regardless of Quarterback because of their program design. Never going to be easy, never impossible. Hell they lost 3 games with R Wilson

He also probably wants to run an offense that features him rather than the Mertz special offense

Honestly, if it happens I am not that worried about it. They are going to be a tough out but beatable regardless of Quarterback because of their program design. Never going to be easy, never impossible. Hell they lost 3 games with R Wilson
True.

Lost by 6 at Mich St, and would go on to win the rematch in the conf championship game. Lost by 4 at Ohio St. And lost by 7 to Oregon (#6) in the Rose Bowl.

Not a crazy good year, but still pretty good. If there is any life to this rumor, then it would be something like "follow in Russell's footsteps".

True.

Lost by 6 at Mich St, and would go on to win the rematch in the conf championship game. Lost by 4 at Ohio St. And lost by 7 to Oregon (#6) in the Rose Bowl.

Not a crazy good year, but still pretty good. If there is any life to this rumor, then it would be something like "follow in Russell's footsteps".
Yeah. They were really good and if they weren’t wisconsin they probably figure out a way to win a national title with that team.

And lost by 7 to Oregon (#6) in the Rose Bowl.
Yeah. They were really good and if they weren’t wisconsin they probably figure out a way to win a national title with that team.
Thanks for these posts which reminded me of how Russ ended that Rose Bowl, spiking the ball as the clock expired. Still makes me smile.

Why would he ever go to Wisconsin? They might have the weakest wr units in the conference.

Living in Wisconsin, it's usually all Packers this time of year. But with Wisconsin just posted and soon hiring an OC position and the transfer portal, Badger talk hasn't stopped.

The basis for this rumor seems to be that Wisconsin is looking to hire Bobby Engram, currently TE coach with the Baltimore Ravens, as their OC. Engram was on Chrysts staff at Pitt. His son, Dean, is on the Badgers roster. Dean played high school ball with Caleb Williams. Williams still not signing with a blue blood has everyone here starting to believe it will come true.

*insert weed smoking gif here*

Top Bottom