No More Black Uniforms (or Charcoal)

Great Plains Gopher

Reaction score
Watching the 60-minute BNT playback of Gophers-Buckeyes, I didn't that black team had any ties to our university. Do we have to have a carousel of uniforms to meet some contractual obligation? The all-maroon outfit would have been perfect for Ohio State - a bit menacing in itself and familiar. Why can't we have a uniform that is recognizable to TV viewers and to our fans?

Watching the 60-minute BNT playback of Gophers-Buckeyes, I didn't that black team had any ties to our university. Do we have to have a carousel of uniforms to meet some contractual obligation? The all-maroon outfit would have been perfect for Ohio State - a bit menacing in itself and familiar. Why can't we have a uniform that is recognizable to TV viewers and to our fans?
The uni's are for the players...not the fans or something like that.

If Minnesota stopped having alternate uniforms, I give it until about Week 5 2022 before the envy threads on here would start...

"Why is Nike disrespecting Minnesota?"
"Why does Iowa State get a special look for their big game and we don't?"

I remember during the Nike "pro combat" era how Minnesota was one of the only Big Ten teams without an alternate look, and these were all common sentiments.

The uni's are for the players...not the fans or something like that.
In that case, the players need to understand or be taught that it is the fans and fan-donors who provide the game atmosphere and help fund their scholarships. There are teams whose school colors incorporate black, including the HOGeyes and PurDON"T; but our school colors are MAROON and GOLD. The players should accept that fact and deal with it when it comes to uniforms!

In that case, the players need to understand or be taught that it is the fans and fan-donors who provide the game atmosphere and help fund their scholarships. There are teams whose school colors incorporate black, including the HOGeyes and PurDON"T; but our school colors are MAROON and GOLD. The players should accept that fact and deal with it when it comes to uniforms!
Black is a neutral, just like white. It's different.

White is a school color at Wisconsin and Nebraska, but not at Minnesota, yet the Gophers almost always have some white on. One of the reasons white is the obligated away color is that it's a neutral that can work with almost anything.

If we see Minnesota busting out the lime green or blaze orange, then it's time for an aesthetic panic.

I just can't with y'all sometimes...

ohno-smh.gif

If Minnesota stopped having alternate uniforms, I give it until about Week 5 2022 before the envy threads on here would start...

"Why is Nike disrespecting Minnesota?"
"Why does Iowa State get a special look for their big game and we don't?"

I remember during the Nike "pro combat" era how Minnesota was one of the only Big Ten teams without an alternate look, and these were all common sentiments.
I don't think anyone is bitching about alternate uniforms. Did you see the sick throwbacks Maryland wore last week? I'd LOVE if we had Nike create some throwbacks from our glory days, or really anything that shows off our unique school colors.

Black is overplayed. Almost every school has some stupid black alternate uniform these days. It isn't creative and this fad needs to go away.

BTW- did anyone else see that Iowa State is wearing some odd black/white combo for their game with Iowa this week?? What a bizarre decision

**edit- reading the thread about the Cyclones now

The black / white uniforms are popular.

Heck even most companies have a black and white branding option ...

I don't know what anyone's problem with it is. Don't like the uniform fine, there's no accounting for taste.

Beyond that what's the problem exactly? What bad thing is happening?

I don't think anyone is bitching about alternate uniforms. Did you see the sick throwbacks Maryland wore last week? I'd LOVE if we had Nike create some throwbacks from our glory days, or really anything that shows off our unique school colors.

Black is overplayed. Almost every school has some stupid black alternate uniform these days. It isn't creative and this fad needs to go away.

BTW- did anyone else see that Iowa State is wearing some odd black/white combo for their game with Iowa this week?? What a bizarre decision

Iowa State wore a ton of black last year.

They're winning more and recruiting better than ever.

Maybe doing the same old thing isn't such a good idea?

🤷‍♂️

Uniforms are largely driven by what players like and want. I don't blame fans for wanting tradition ... but that's just far less important

Doesn't get any more retro than black and white. Don't you remember tv before color?. Nostalgia

The alternate uniform discussions are always interesting. There is such a wide range of opinions from those that hate all alternate looks to those that love them and everything in-between.

I have no issue what-so-ever with alternate looks from time to time. Players love it and frankly it doesn't seem to be a trend that is going to go away anytime soon. I thought the black uniforms were kind of cool, wouldn't want to see them as a regular part of the rotation, but from time to time it is fun to mix it up.

This thread is one of the more pointless in recent memory.

We are not Penn State, Michigan or Alabama, who have had the same traditional look for decades.

Pretty much Every other school has special alternate uniforms at this point. The players love the fact they get all these different looks. It definitely doesn't hurt recruiting at all. That is literally all that matters.

Whatever the team wants to do I'm in regardless of how I feel about the uniform. I can live with it.

This thread is one of the more pointless in recent memory.

We are not Penn State, Michigan or Alabama, who have had the same traditional look for decades.

Pretty much Every other school has special alternate uniforms at this point. The players love the fact they get all these different looks. It definitely doesn't hurt recruiting at all. That is literally all that matters.
It's a message board. Debating uniforms is part of the fun of being a fan.

Loved the uniforms!

I'm not nearly as bothered by black uniforms as I am by "y'all" wedging itself into the lexicon.
I might create fifty separate Gopher Hole accounts so I can like your comment an extra fifty times.

I actually read a FB comment today that started with "all of y'all need to..."

Top Bottom