No More Black Uniforms (or Charcoal)

I'm not nearly as bothered by black uniforms as I am by "y'all" wedging itself into the lexicon.
Huh, that's interesting. What bothers you about it? The rich diversity of dialects is one of the things I find most charming about the US. But if you insist, I'll rephrase: "I have such a difficult time handling the incessant whining from so many of you about things so insignificant as uniform colors."

Queen-Elizabeth-II-and-Grant-Harold-935984.jpg

Minority view - I always liked the old "metallic gold" style of uniforms. I would like to see those for a throwback sometime - maybe for Homecoming.

In my opinion - for what that's worth - what they call "gold" today is actually a shade of yellow.

If you're going to be Maroon and Gold, then be Maroon and Gold - not Maroon and some kind of Yellow.

Minority view - I always liked the old "metallic gold" style of uniforms. I would like to see those for a throwback sometime - maybe for Homecoming.

In my opinion - for what that's worth - what they call "gold" today is actually a shade of yellow.

If you're going to be Maroon and Gold, then be Maroon and Gold - not Maroon and some kind of Yellow.
Those Wacker-era metallic helmets were hideous. Metallic gold is Notre Dame's thing, not ours.

I enjoyed the black uniforms. I thought they looked great. Every time I see someone complaining about uniforms that don’t look like uniforms from decades ago, I ask my two 20-something sons what they think and 100% of the time they like the newer looks, black uniforms, alternatives, ect. Hmmmm.

Actually, the coaches have a lot of room for diversity just using maroon, gold and white: all-maroon, including helmet (love that); same with a gold helmet; traditional maroon and gold, with either gold or maroon helmet; all gold (pumpkin); gold or maroon jerseys with opposite color pants. In short, black has no place, and charcoal is almost as bad. Road games: variations of white, gold and maroon. School colors all (NCAA requires white jerseys for road games - or they did for a long time).

The black / white uniforms are popular.

Heck even most companies have a black and white branding option ...

I don't know what anyone's problem with it is. Don't like the uniform fine, there's no accounting for taste.

Beyond that what's the problem exactly? What bad thing is happening?
They weren't just Black/White. I'm not a huge fan of not having all your school colors on the uniform...these just sort of looked off with the maroon helmets and accent colors against the black monochrome jerseys and pants. Plus no gold.

Shiny gold helmet. Maroon pants. The winning look vs. Auburn NYD 2020, Penn State 2019, Wisconsin 2018.
This is the aesthetically correct answer, for both home and away. The Outback Bowl kit with the Goldy head is the absolute high point of Gopher football uniforms and I would be totally OK with the Gophers wearing these for each and every game, home and away. Chrome gold, white, maroon, and I would toss in some ridiculous metallic gold shoes for everyone.

The football gods rewarded these beautiful sensibilities with big wins.

At least we didn't play "Back in Black" when the team came out and completely try to imitate Iowa. I am not a fan of the black uni's, would prefer anthracite to the "ode to Iowa" we wore last Thursday.

Maybe something in maroon and/or Gold.

Watching the 60-minute BNT playback of Gophers-Buckeyes, I didn't that black team had any ties to our university. Do we have to have a carousel of uniforms to meet some contractual obligation? The all-maroon outfit would have been perfect for Ohio State - a bit menacing in itself and familiar. Why can't we have a uniform that is recognizable to TV viewers and to our fans?

Recognizable to TV viewers and fans? Do you think people watching the game were confused?

Recognizable to TV viewers and fans? Do you think people watching the game were confused?
"Maude! Come over here! I know it says Minnesota on the screen, and the announcers keep saying Minnesota, and there's a giant M on the field, and the cheerleader flags keep spelling Minnesota, and they keep showing a Gopher mascot, but...dadgum it, they're wearing black uniforms. What team is that?"

Watching the 60-minute BNT playback of Gophers-Buckeyes, I didn't that black team had any ties to our university. Do we have to have a carousel of uniforms to meet some contractual obligation? The all-maroon outfit would have been perfect for Ohio State - a bit menacing in itself and familiar. Why can't we have a uniform that is recognizable to TV viewers and to our fans?
Old time thinking gets you second tier recruits.

old head

The black uniforms looked fine. Moving on.
Why does it bother people so much that some people have a preference of uniform colors? I don't really care either way, but it's much stranger to me that a discussion about uniform colors bothers people than it is that people have an opinion.

Some people don't like the black uniforms and they started a thread obviously about some minor issue.

I liked your posts better when you're drunk screaming aggressively homoerotic threats at people. Those posts were at least funny.

I didn't that black team had any ties to our university.

Do you think there is no tie to the university when Minnesota wears white jerseys? White is not a school color, just as black is not.

Last edited:

Why does it bother people so much that some people have a preference of uniform colors? I don't really care either way, but it's much stranger to me that a discussion about uniform colors bothers people than it is that people have an opinion.
Yep. So weird that people get so riled up about other people not liking a uniform design.

I suspect most of the people complaining about alternate looks were around before TV even existed.

IT'S NOT ABOUT YOU GEEZERS. IT'S ABOUT THE PLAYERS AND THE RECRUITING.
Enough already, disco. It’s many of us geezers who have been supporting the football program for 50+ years and helping fund the players’ scholarships and pay for the Athlete’s Village. So disagree with us if you must, but don’t denigrate us like we are some head-in-the-sand know-nothings. Respect our opinions and quit with the snarky comments.

Top Bottom