Nice job by SDSU and their fine coach

I bet not. My guess is that he gave tepid vibes to Coyle, and that's a/the reason he pivoted as quickly as he did. That's just a guess, but it's my guess.
yeah we can agree to disagree. if he was offered the job he would have taken it.....now hes 62 and going to the final 4......2 more years closer to moving on to simpler things in life....SDSU with this run will have alumni/donors lining up to do everything they can to keep him around.....it was easier 2 years ago to get him than it is now

Shama chimes in:

When the announcement came that Minnesota athletic director Mark Coyle and head coach Richard Pitino had parted ways, Dutcher was coaching his team in the NCAA Tournament. After the Aztecs were eliminated in a first round loss to Syracuse, Coyle and Brian spoke by phone about the Minnesota opening, per Jim Dutcher.

Jim told Sports Headliners yesterday his son and Coyle talked about getting together but never did. Soon after the initial conversation, Coyle called again to say he had hired former Gopher guard and assistant coach Ben Johnson, who was then an assistant at Xavier. Jim said he understood the reasoning at the time for Coyle’s decision to hire a coach with “Minnesota connections” for recruiting and building the program around more high level local talent.

Would Brian have accepted the Gopher job if offered? “I don’t know,” his father said.

What’s for certain is Brian publicly demonstrated his interest in the U by including the modest buyout in his contract. “It’s my school, where I went, and was able to be part of that basketball program with my dad,” Brian told the Union-Tribune. “But it’s still a buyout. It’s not like it’s free.”

Go Gophers!!
Good summary. Thanks for posting.

Charles Hallman’s agenda comes through very clearly with this question:

“Do you believe that the criticism you received this season was unfair or maybe would not have occurred if you weren’t Black?”

I mean, holy hell. Ben’s team that he assembled and coached went 2-17 in conference, which is the worst winning percentage in program history. Any criticism that came his way is because he and his team sucked at historic levels, not because he’s Black.
Hopefully it’s crystal clear here to everyone that S-R is not a regular paper. They are open about the agenda they push. Is what it is

“Do you believe that the criticism you received this season was unfair or maybe would not have occurred if you weren’t Black?”

I mean, holy hell. Ben’s team that he assembled and coached went 2-17 in conference, which is the worst winning percentage in program history. Any criticism that came his way is because he and his team sucked at historic levels, not because he’s Black.
The first question he asked the new women's coach at her press conference was whether or not she was going to have diversity amongst her assistant coaches.....

The first question he asked the new women's coach at her press conference was whether or not she was going to have diversity amongst her assistant coaches.....
All extremists have boogeymen under their beds. Not saying discrimination and bigotry aren't a huge problem in society, but...

Jim Dutcher coached the Gophers from the 1975-76 until late in the 1985-86 season. Brian was raised as a Gophers fan and, Jim said, he had a contract at San Diego State that called for a $5 million buyout if he left for another job — with a single amendment the buyout would be $1 million if it was to Minnesota.

"The Gophers contacted Brian after Richard Pitino left [March 2021] and said they wanted him to come in to meet people after his team was done playing in the tournament,'' Jim said.

"Brian's team was in Indianapolis and lost to Syracuse in the first round. While he was there, Brian got a call from the Gophers saying they were going with Ben [Johnson].

"He's so locked in at San Diego, 25 years out there. His family loves it, he loves it. He's 63 and not going to coach forever. And now this … I'd say that phone call wasn't a bad thing.''

What it did result in was Jim Dutcher's recent response when someone involved with the University of Minnesota called his home, asking for a donation to the Gophers' late-breaking NIL (Name, Image and Likeness) fund.

Dutch's comment: "I said, 'Haven't you been watching the NCAA tournament? If I'm going to make an NIL donation, it will be to San Diego State.' "

It sounds like now that Dutcher has accomplished things that have never been done before at SDSU, he and Coyle need to actually get together and figure out how he's going to do the same thing at Minnesota as soon as the tournament is over.
Best to walk away on top. Ask John Elway and Payton Manning.

Oh don’t look now, but guess what. The staff has a white woman, black woman, a white man , and a black man. Holy shit covers a lot of bases. Hire the most qualified, screw diversity. So tired of the cliches, hire the best person for the job, period. What a question by that guy.

Oh don’t look now, but guess what. The staff has a white woman, black woman, a white man , and a black man. Holy shit covers a lot of bases. Hire the most qualified, screw diversity.
Don't look now, but Her coaches followed her from South Dakota to West Virginia, and now to Minnesota.
Has nothing to do with diversity. Do a little research.

Coyle went full Maturi. I would say never go full Maturi but Joel would personally respond to emails. It was great!

What if she had said something like "I don't see how that is relevant to hiring the best assistant basketball coaches."

Hahaha. Heads literally exploding.

Obviously she didn't, I'm sure she gave a P-C answer.

Jim Dutcher coached the Gophers from the 1975-76 until late in the 1985-86 season. Brian was raised as a Gophers fan and, Jim said, he had a contract at San Diego State that called for a $5 million buyout if he left for another job — with a single amendment the buyout would be $1 million if it was to Minnesota.

"The Gophers contacted Brian after Richard Pitino left [March 2021] and said they wanted him to come in to meet people after his team was done playing in the tournament,'' Jim said.

"Brian's team was in Indianapolis and lost to Syracuse in the first round. While he was there, Brian got a call from the Gophers saying they were going with Ben [Johnson].

"He's so locked in at San Diego, 25 years out there. His family loves it, he loves it. He's 63 and not going to coach forever. And now this … I'd say that phone call wasn't a bad thing.''

What it did result in was Jim Dutcher's recent response when someone involved with the University of Minnesota called his home, asking for a donation to the Gophers' late-breaking NIL (Name, Image and Likeness) fund.

Dutch's comment: "I said, 'Haven't you been watching the NCAA tournament? If I'm going to make an NIL donation, it will be to San Diego State.' "

Colossal F up.

Would've accepted the job no questions asked, if offered.

We'll never know how hard Coyle pushed for Ben, vs being told so, but it had to be more than zero. Wear it Coyle.

Can't have it both ways my dude. You (and others) on here make it perfectly clear you have a problem with Ben because he was a "George Floyd appeasement hire" (not my words), and yet you get mad when someone points out that some of the anger is rooted in race.

Can't have it both ways my dude. You (and others) on here make it perfectly clear you have a problem with Ben because he was a "George Floyd appeasement hire" (not my words), and yet you get mad when someone points out that some of the anger is rooted in race.
Dude- you don't get it. Hiring by competence is not racist. Hiring by race is indeed racist. I say that as someone who A) believes that Ben was clearly a diversity hire (he was) and B) I like, think is a good person and who I hope succeeds. Some of us have thought from day one that Ben was put in an impossible spot by hiring him before he was ready at this level.

Colossal F up.

Would've accepted the job no questions asked, if offered.

We'll never know how hard Coyle pushed for Ben, vs being told so, but it had to be more than zero. Wear it Coyle.
I'm not 100% sure if Dutcher would have taken it, but I think it's better than 50/50. I'm 100% sure Craig Smith would have taken it.

Point me to one post of mine that says or even suggests Ben was anything of the sort, my dude. I’ve said from the day his hiring was announced that he is eminently unqualified, and that remains my belief two years later. But that has nothing to do with the color of his skin and everything to do with his historically bad performance as coach.

Yeah, the record stinks almost worse than the NW team Ben played on. We should be the first school to go full AI for a HC.

Oh don’t look now, but guess what. The staff has a white woman, black woman, a white man , and a black man. Holy shit covers a lot of bases. Hire the most qualified, screw diversity. So tired of the cliches, hire the best person for the job, period. What a question by that guy.
And if any of the 3 assistants double-up as transgender or gay we’ve checked all the boxes with one staff!

I'm not 100% sure if Dutcher would have taken it, but I think it's better than 50/50. I'm 100% sure Craig Smith would have taken it.
I was hoping for Craig Smith but probably needs to be pointed out that he’s not lighting the world on fire at Utah.

Don't look now, but Her coaches followed her from South Dakota to West Virginia, and now to Minnesota.
Has nothing to do with diversity. Do a little research.
I went to the same school she did. I know a bit about her. And no matter whether the coaches followed her or not they are still a diverse group. Do your own research.

Last edited:

Pulling them out of the dumpster, had them back to .500 in conference in year 2. He and Ben had the same conference record year 1, year 2 not so much.
In a weaker conference. Last I looked they had about 5 guys enter the portal. Don’t get me wrong I like Smith but I don’t think it’s a sure thing he would be the answer here either.

Top Bottom