Nice job by SDSU and their fine coach

Being underqualified at his salary is no picnic, this is why I wish both sides could figure out a way to agree to a reduced buyout to move on now. Another year of this pays Ben $2M more but only further hurts his chances at getting back to the HC level someday.
Ben will take the $2M and his chances. Someone who believes in himself would. Taking a reduced buyout and running from the situation isn’t a solution. I don’t get this, he came here with a bare cupboard, he picked up some high school talent and gave them playing time. He deserves a minimum of another year. He still has the guard from IL, and room for portal players. Evans? Maybe he watched Payne and figured the benches at the Barn weren’t that comfortable. I hated to see Henley go but that’s the nature of the new game.

They play great defense a concept foreign to the Gophers.

Tell us more.
Everyone knows about Dutcher's contract buyout for MN and how he has said MN is "his school" so he obviously wants to coach here. Coyle had it all lined up for him to be the next coach after Pitino but Gabel stopped it. Because of the unrest happening in the Cities, Gabel wouldn't let him hire a white guy even though 2 of the last 4 coaches weren't white. Coyle was forced to choose from a small pool of coaches that had a certain characteristic and that is how we are where we are... and Dutcher is now in the Final Four. I wish Ben nothing but the best and want him to succeed, but Dutcher is obviously the real deal and would have been amazing. We may never have another shot at him now.

Ben will take the $2M and his chances. Someone who believes in himself would. Taking a reduced buyout and running from the situation isn’t a solution. I don’t get this, he came here with a bare cupboard, he picked up some high school talent and gave them playing time. He deserves a minimum of another year. He still has the guard from IL, and room for portal players. Evans? Maybe he watched Payne and figured the benches at the Barn weren’t that comfortable. I hated to see Henley go but that’s the nature of the new game.
That's fine if he believes in himself, this conference is stacked with coaches who are proven B1G coaches and UCLA and USC join in '24. If I was personally advising him I'd tell him to negotiate a buyout for the sake of his future career as he has shown himself to be truly terrible with no way out of this box.

That's fine if he believes in himself, this conference is stacked with coaches who are proven B1G coaches and UCLA and USC join in '24. If I was personally advising him I'd tell him to negotiate a buyout for the sake of his future career as he has shown himself to be truly terrible with no way out of this box.
If he is as you assert "truly terrible" why would he see a "future career" in his future! Lol I hope you wouldn‘t charge a commission for such "truly terrible" advice?

If he is as you assert "truly terrible" why would he see a "future career" in his future! Lol I hope you wouldn‘t charge a commission for such "truly terrible" advice?
He needs to learn, he's truly terrible at this level and he needs to go back and find an assistant job at successful program or find a low major job. As everyone knows he skipped too many steps on the coaching ladder.

Everyone knows about Dutcher's contract buyout for MN and how he has said MN is "his school" so he obviously wants to coach here. Coyle had it all lined up for him to be the next coach after Pitino but Gabel stopped it. Because of the unrest happening in the Cities, Gabel wouldn't let him hire a white guy even though 2 of the last 4 coaches weren't white. Coyle was forced to choose from a small pool of coaches that had a certain characteristic and that is how we are where we are... and Dutcher is now in the Final Four. I wish Ben nothing but the best and want him to succeed, but Dutcher is obviously the real deal and would have been amazing. We may never have another shot at him now.
Please be honest with us: is this genuine inside information, or is this merely educated speculation (like all the rest of us do)? No arm waving; simple question, simple answer.

Please be honest with us: is this genuine inside information, or is this merely educated speculation (like all the rest of us do)? No arm waving; simple question, simple answer.
This is 100% real information. Coyle wasn't allowed to hire who he wanted to. Again, I like Ben and want him to succeed, but he wasn't Coyle's first choice. The U of MN president stepped in and made the decision for him. She is so bad for the University(see stepping down from Securian Board of Directors).

Coyle was going to hire Dutcher but Gabel wouldn't let him because the U couldn't hire a white guy(not sure how that is legal). 100% true story. Gabel is a horrible president.
It would actually be much much scarier if this wasn't the truth.

If we chose Ben Johnson over Dutcher and the "equity" piece had nothing to do with it, that's WAY scarier than if our AD actually thought Ben was a better pick.

This is 100% real information. Coyle wasn't allowed to hire who he wanted to. Again, I like Ben and want him to succeed, but he wasn't Coyle's first choice. The U of MN president stepped in and made the decision for him. She is so bad for the University(see stepping down from Securian Board of Directors).
If Coyle had any balls at all he would’ve quit, but if your account is true he let his boss overrule him on a critically important hire and sat there and took it. To me that’s just as bad as if he made the hire himself. So Coyle makes nearly $1 million per year to be a yes man to the president?

If Coyle had any balls at all he would’ve quit, but if your account is true he let his boss overrule him on a critically important hire and sat there and took it. To me that’s just as bad as if he made the hire himself. So Coyle makes nearly $1 million per year to be a yes man to the president?
Circling back to the recent presser where Lindsey Whelan was axed..... Coyle gave a remarkably tepid answer on Ben, not backing him or promoting him- just saying that he was in year 2 and that Ben knows the 5 standards of the program. That smacks of an AD that didn't actually make the hire, isn't thrilled about it, but wants his paycheck.

Sounds romantic, however, unless you are willing to put your real name out there and report this story, I'm not buying it at all. There are far, far too many connected people to this program who would kill for the ability to break this kind of story in their respective media outlets. I don't think an anonymous poster on a message board knows something nobody else knows. Emphatic language tends to set off my BS detector almost immediately.

Were race and social unrest factors? Certainly plausible. Were they the only factors? Highly unlikely. Usually these situations are complex with many tentacles. The thing is, we will never know for certain unless the people directly involved decide to come forward with how things really went down. I'm guessing Ben wins the Big 10 title before that happens. :)

Sounds romantic, however, unless you are willing to put your real name out there and report this story, I'm not buying it at all. There are far, far too many connected people to this program who would kill for the ability to break this kind of story in their respective media outlets. I don't think an anonymous poster on a message board knows something nobody else knows. Emphatic language tends to set off my BS detector almost immediately.

Were race and social unrest factors? Certainly plausible. Were they the only factors? Highly unlikely. Usually these situations are complex with many tentacles. The thing is, we will never know for certain unless the people directly involved decide to come forward with how things really went down. I'm guessing Ben wins the Big 10 title before that happens. :)
This is a good take. The closest we've seen to actual reporting on this was Reusse, who I don't think would lie about something like this, but you never know. I don't put this past Gabel and the U, but I roll my eyes at people who jump to conclusions based on what they want to believe.

One way or another, the hire of someone like Johnson was fishy on several levels, all of which have been discussed here ad nauseum. It defied reason, which, as we all know, smells of upper management meddling. I've worked in both the private and public sectors and have seen it everywhere.

This is a good take. The closest we've seen to actual reporting on this was Reusse, who I don't think would lie about something like this, but you never know. I don't put this past Gabel and the U, but I roll my eyes at people who jump to conclusions based on what they want to believe.

One way or another, the hire of someone like Johnson was fishy on several levels, all of which have been discussed here ad nauseum. It defied reason, which, as we all know, smells of upper management meddling. I've worked in both the private and public sectors and have seen it everywhere.
Yup. I know exactly what you speak of in regards to meddling. It happens everywhere and far more often than people probably realize. Some days it takes a lot of coordination to avoid stepping in the leadership. They tend to leave trails of it. :)

Do you quit your job every time your boss makes a decision you disagree with?

If the story were true Coyle is doing the strategically right thing by remaining silent and letting the Johnson hire play out.
If Johnson flames out you can be sure that Gabel would never try to interfere in a future hire.
Gabel's decision to join a BOD while the medical school hospital was in danger was very bad judgment on her part.

Coyle was going to hire Dutcher but Gabel wouldn't let him because the U couldn't hire a white guy(not sure how that is legal). 100% true story. Gabel is a horrible president.
Whoever made this decision should never --ever-- be allowed to have any input into any future Gopher basketball coach. They do not know what they are doing.

If the story were true Coyle is doing the strategically right thing by remaining silent and letting the Johnson hire play out.
Of course he has to remain silent about how the choice was made. That said- he needs to do a better job of promoting Ben as long as he remains the coach. The presser was not a good look.
If Johnson flames out you can be sure that Gabel would never try to interfere in a future hire.
LOL! Don't bet on that.
Gabel's decision to join a BOD while the medical school hospital was in danger was very bad judgment on her part.
See a pattern?

Do you have a citation for that? Excuse me if I don't have complete faith in your declaration that this is a "100% true story."

Circling back to the recent presser where Lindsey Whelan was axed..... Coyle gave a remarkably tepid answer on Ben, not backing him or promoting him- just saying that he was in year 2 and that Ben knows the 5 standards of the program. That smacks of an AD that didn't actually make the hire, isn't thrilled about it, but wants his paycheck.
If true, no one should give another dime until the real decision maker is let go.

Do you have a citation for that? Excuse me if I don't have complete faith in your declaration that this is a "100% true story."
When one has this type of information- they cannot give their source on a forum like this. That wouldn't be right.

In my experience, people in the upper echelons of society (i.e. "leaders" of large organizations) tend to congregate and run in the same circles. They eat dinner at the same club, hang out on weekends at exclusive events, their kids go to the same private schools, etc. They become completely detached from 99% of everyone else and they are completely oblivious as to how their actions might be viewed, because they are only concerned with the reactions of the very select company they keep. These people also tend to become quite self-absorbed, so it turns into a malignant self-reinforcement loop that quickly descends into a drunken power orgy. Feeling superior and believing their own shit, they start doing "leadership", and you can probably guess how that usually turns out. The rest of us end up stepping in it. :)

Top Bottom