NFL Draft-Will Bateman & St. Juste end the streak?

coolhandgopher

Reaction score
So, I've mentioned this in a couple other threads, but as I saw Benjamin St. Juste appearing in a couple mock drafts in the 3rd round, I began digging a little bit into Gopher draft history, found an eye-popping tidbit, and have continued to pull at the thread.

If Rashod Bateman and St. Juste are both selected by the end of Day 2 of this draft, it will be the first time multiple Gophers will have been drafted in the first three rounds since 1978 when three linebackers (Mark Merrill, Michael Hunt, and Steve Stewart) were chosen in the second round.

That's 42 years. 42 YEARS. Lying in bed early this morning, I wondered how that stacked up against the other teams in the power conferences of the B10, ACC, SEC, B12, and Pac12. Here's the good news-it's not the longest streak. Duke stakes the claim to that, at 53 years. However, the Gophers are #2 on the list. Here are the programs with 15 years or more in the NFL draft desert (without multiple picks in the first 3 rounds):
Duke: 53 years
Minnesota: 42
Kansas: 27
Iowa St: 23
Syracuse: 19
Washington St: 18
Kansas St: 17
Northwestern: 15

Add up the entire SEC, and it comes to 34 years combined for the programs where they haven't had multiple players in the first three rounds.

If anything, I'd say the Gophers have overachieved, relative to their talent, since 1978. Sure, there were the down years of Smokey Joe Salem and Wacker and Brewster, but in comparison to some on this list, it hasn't been too bad. Regardless, it'd be great to exit this list this year. This is company I'd rather the program not be keeping.

That seems like one of those streaks / lists that isn't of 0 value.... but sort of random too and isn't far from 0 as far as meaningfulness.

I would tend to bet the streak does not end this draft for the Gophers, I predict a second round pick for Bateman and fifth round pick for St. Juste. Gopher media and fans tend to be a bit too Bullish on our draft picks, the late Sid Hartman was notorious for this. I wish Bateman and St. Juste all the best as they make their way to the NFL.

Where do the ESPN paywall guys have Bateman going?

Here are the other programs that are in the double digits for years:
Purdue: 12
Indiana: 12
Wake F.: 11
Ga Tech: 10
Virginia: 11
Vandy: 12
Arkansas: 12
Texas Tech: 11
Arizona: 10

If you'd look at the two lists, outside of some outliers like Kansas State, if you asked someone which Big Conference programs have languished over the last 10-20 years, it's a pretty accurate list (TBH, seeing Arkansas on this list was the most eye-popping, more so than the Gophers, but it's been that long since McFadden and Felix Jones were both selected in the first round).

What's a big recruiting pitch? You come to our school, we'll prepare you for the pros. And while I'd say last year's draft was great for the Gophers, players want to be drafted closer to where Bateman and Winfield are getting drafted than Coughlin and Johnson (obvious statement of the day). Separating from this list is a really good step for a program.

And here's the great news-two years ago, Kentucky was solidly in the #2 position, slightly above Minnesota with two #1 selections in 1977 and nothing until 2019, when they had players selected in each of the first three rounds. It just takes one strong year with a couple prospects to get away from this ignominious list.

I would tend to bet the streak does not end this draft for the Gophers, I predict a second round pick for Bateman and fifth round pick for St. Juste. Gopher media and fans tend to be a bit too Bullish on our draft picks, the late Sid Hartman was notorious for this. I wish Bateman and St. Juste all the best as they make their way to the NFL.
Certainly true that we have maroon-colored glasses, but the national media seem to be on the same page this year. GI's projection round-ups:

Gophers wide receiver Rashod Bateman

CBSSports: #22 overall, first round pick of the Tennessee Titans

The Athletic: #23 overall, first round pick of the Chicago Bears (projected trade)

Peter King (most accurate 2020 NFL Mock Draft): #20 overall, first round pick of the Chicago Bears

ESPN's Mel Kiper: #29 overall, first round pick of the Green Bay Packers

ESPN's Todd McShay: #31 overall, first round pick of the Baltimore Ravens

Bleacher Report: #29 overall, first round pick of the Green Bay Packers

NBCSports: #22 overall, first round pick of the Tennessee Titans

Draft Site: #31 overall, first round pick of the Baltimore Ravens

Sports Illustrated: #27 overall, first round pick of the Baltimore Ravens

Gophers defensive back Benjamin St-Juste

CBSSports: #129 overall, fourth round pick of the Pittsburgh Steelers

The Athletic: #120 overall, fourth round pick of the New England Patriots

ESPN's Mel Kiper: #77 overall, third round of the Los Angeles Chargers

NBCSports: #119 overall, fourth round pick of the Minnesota Vikings

Sporting News: #155 overall, fifth round pick of the San Francisco 49ers

Draft Site: #117 overall, fourth round pick of the New York Giants

Certainly true that we have maroon-colored glasses, but the national media seem to be on the same page this year. GI's projection round-ups:

The Athletic: #23 overall, first round pick of the Chicago Bears (projected trade)

Peter King (most accurate 2020 NFL Mock Draft): #20 overall, first round pick of the Chicago Bears

Definitely same page for Bateman.

Since each team gets 10 minutes to make their pick...and guessing it's probably going to average 7-8 minutes...probably after 9 PM or so to be paying attention for the start of the picks in the 20s?

Here are the other programs that are in the double digits for years:
Purdue: 12
Indiana: 12
Wake F.: 11
Ga Tech: 10
Virginia: 11
Vandy: 12
Arkansas: 12
Texas Tech: 11
Arizona: 10

If you'd look at the two lists, outside of some outliers like Kansas State, if you asked someone which Big Conference programs have languished over the last 10-20 years, it's a pretty accurate list (TBH, seeing Arkansas on this list was the most eye-popping, more so than the Gophers, but it's been that long since McFadden and Felix Jones were both selected in the first round).

What's a big recruiting pitch? You come to our school, we'll prepare you for the pros. And while I'd say last year's draft was great for the Gophers, players want to be drafted closer to where Bateman and Winfield are getting drafted than Coughlin and Johnson (obvious statement of the day). Separating from this list is a really good step for a program.

And here's the great news-two years ago, Kentucky was solidly in the #2 position, slightly above Minnesota with two #1 selections in 1977 and nothing until 2019, when they had players selected in each of the first three rounds. It just takes one strong year with a couple prospects to get away from this ignominious list.
Next year, there's a decent chance we'll have two more players taken in the early rounds.

While the first round has been clear of Gophers lately, it hasn't been all bad in the draft. Later rounds sure, but a few Minnesota players have made it.

• Eric Decker, WR, drafted by Denver Broncos, R3.
  • Nate Tripplett, LB, drafted by Minnesota Vikings, R5.
  • Ra'Shede Hageman, DT, drafted by Atlanta Falcons, R2.
  • Brock Vereen, FS, drafted by Chicago Bears, R4.
  • Maxx Williams, TE, drafted by Baltimore Ravens, R2.
  • Damien Wilson, LB, drafted by Dallas Cowboys, R4.
  • David Cobb, RB, drafted by Tennessee Titans, R5.
  • Cedric Thompson, FS, drafted by Miami Dolphins, R5.
  • Eric Murray, CB, drafted by Kansas City Chiefs, R4.
  • De'Vondre Campbell, LB, drafted by Atlanta Falcons, R4.
  • Jalen Myrick, CB, drafted by Jacksonville Jaguars, R7.
  • Blake Cashman, LB, drafted by New York Jets, R5.
  • Antoine Winfield Jr., S, drafted by Tampa Bay Buccaneers, R2.
  • Tyler Johnson, WR, drafted by Tampa Bay Buccaneers, R5.
  • Kamal Martin, LB, drafted by Green Bay Packers, R5.
  • Carter Coughlin, LB, drafted by New York Giants, R7.
  • Chris Williamson, CB, drafted by New York Giants, R7.
When it comes to defensive backs in particular, there were six Gophers drafted. It's been a real bright spot in the past decade. Along with those who were drafted, several were also picked up after.
Here are some of the defensive back highlights from the past decade.
  • Troy Stoudermire, 2008-2012. Holds the record for most kickoff return yards in FBS, selected by media as All Big Ten Honorable Mention, 2012. He was on NFL and CFL teams, including the Cincinnati Bengals, CSaskatchewan Roughriders, Winnipeg Blue Bombers, Minnesota Vikings, Edmonton Eskimos, Calgary Stampeders and Ottawa Redblacks. In Calgary, he was part of a team that won the FL Grey Cup.
  • Michael Carter, 2009-2012. Selected All Big Ten Honorable Mention in 2012 by the media. Was signed for a time with the Buffalo Bills.
  • Brock Vereen, 2010-2013. First Team All Big Ten in 2012 by coaches. Played two years with the Bears. Was also in offseason and practice squads with the Vikings, Patriots and Chiefs.
  • Cedric Thompson, 2012-2014. Had a career with five interceptions, three forced fumbles and 205 combined tackles. He was drafted by the Dolphins and played in offseason and practice squad roles with Miami, the Patriots, Vikings and Bengals.
  • Derrick Wells, 2012-2014. Solid contributor with four interceptions, five passes defended and 131 combined tackles, Signed as an undrafted free agent by the Buccaneers.
  • Damarius Travis, 2012-2016. All Big Ten Honorable Mention in 2016 by media. Was a practice squad member with the Patriots.
  • Briean Boddy Calhoun, 2013-2015. First Team All Big Ten by coaches and Second Team by media in 2014. Third Team All Big Ten in 2015. Has played for the Browns, Texans, Colts and now the 49ers.
  • Eric Murray, 2012-2015. Second Team All Big Ten by coaches and an Honorable Mention by the media in 2014. Third Team All Big Ten in 2015. Played for the Chiefs, Browns and now the Texans.
  • Jalen Myrick, 2013-2016. 2015 All Big Ten Honorable Mention, 2016 All Big Ten Honorable Mention. Has played for the Jags and went to the Vikings and Falcons for offseason/practice. In 2020 he played for the DC Defenders in the XFL.
  • Jacob Huff, 2015-2018. Didn't make the NFL but was selected 2018 All Big Ten Honorable Mention in 2018.
  • Antoine Winfield Jr., 2016-2019. First Team All Big Ten and All American in 2019, as well as Big Ten Defensive Back of the Year. Super Bowl Champion with Tampa Bay.
  • Chris Williamson, 2018-2019. Had a career with 90 combined tackles, 3.5 sacks and seven passes defended. Selected by the New York Giants and now is with the Falcons for the practice squad.

If anything, I'd say the Gophers have overachieved, relative to their talent, since 1978. Sure, there were the down years of Smokey Joe Salem and Wacker and Brewster, but in comparison to some on this list, it hasn't been too bad. Regardless, it'd be great to exit this list this year. This is company I'd rather the program not be keeping.

Yeah. I've done an analysis of this sort in the past and the outcome was just as grim. Duke, Kansas, and Minnesota on the very bottom of upper tier draftable talent for decades. Way behind most of the G5 schools and some FCS schools too. The Gophers have done an awful job of producing high draft picks and those guys underachieved. It's a miracle the program has been at least competent for most of the last 22 years.

If Mo can somehow improve on last years play (with a full season and being healthy he has shot), I think next year we break the streak if not this year

I am afraid that Bateman will go to the Packers at 29
I'm at the point where I want Bateman to go to a solid franchise and an established quarterback--and that would certainly be the Packers (at least for one more season). I was listening to a mock draft with Mina Kimes & Field Yates and they felt the marriage made in heaven was Bateman and Baltimore at #27, which would be nice--young quarterback, solid franchise, lot of national TV time.

Where I hope for his sake he doesn't land is with Chicago, better known as the place where promising wide receivers disappear. Compare this list to any other NFL franchise-it's pretty incredible how mediocre their history with the passing game has been.

Thanks for compiling this. I will be surprised if Bateman doesn't hear his name called tonight. If he somehow manages to slip out of the first round he won't have to wait around long tomorrow. Will be fun to see where he and St. Juste end up. Hopefully they both find themselves in great situations the way Winfield and TJ did last year.

I hope the Vikes trade 14 and 74 and maybe a late pick to get up a few picks and take Penei Sewell, then use 90 on St Juste

While the first round has been clear of Gophers lately, it hasn't been all bad in the draft. Later rounds sure, but a few Minnesota players have made it.

• Eric Decker, WR, drafted by Denver Broncos, R3.
  • Nate Tripplett, LB, drafted by Minnesota Vikings, R5.
  • Ra'Shede Hageman, DT, drafted by Atlanta Falcons, R2.
  • Brock Vereen, FS, drafted by Chicago Bears, R4.
  • Maxx Williams, TE, drafted by Baltimore Ravens, R2.
  • Damien Wilson, LB, drafted by Dallas Cowboys, R4.
  • David Cobb, RB, drafted by Tennessee Titans, R5.
  • Cedric Thompson, FS, drafted by Miami Dolphins, R5.
  • Eric Murray, CB, drafted by Kansas City Chiefs, R4.
  • De'Vondre Campbell, LB, drafted by Atlanta Falcons, R4.
  • Jalen Myrick, CB, drafted by Jacksonville Jaguars, R7.
  • Blake Cashman, LB, drafted by New York Jets, R5.
  • Antoine Winfield Jr., S, drafted by Tampa Bay Buccaneers, R2.
  • Tyler Johnson, WR, drafted by Tampa Bay Buccaneers, R5.
  • Kamal Martin, LB, drafted by Green Bay Packers, R5.
  • Carter Coughlin, LB, drafted by New York Giants, R7.
  • Chris Williamson, CB, drafted by New York Giants, R7.
When it comes to defensive backs in particular, there were six Gophers drafted. It's been a real bright spot in the past decade. Along with those who were drafted, several were also picked up after.
Here are some of the defensive back highlights from the past decade.
  • Troy Stoudermire, 2008-2012. Holds the record for most kickoff return yards in FBS, selected by media as All Big Ten Honorable Mention, 2012. He was on NFL and CFL teams, including the Cincinnati Bengals, CSaskatchewan Roughriders, Winnipeg Blue Bombers, Minnesota Vikings, Edmonton Eskimos, Calgary Stampeders and Ottawa Redblacks. In Calgary, he was part of a team that won the FL Grey Cup.
  • Michael Carter, 2009-2012. Selected All Big Ten Honorable Mention in 2012 by the media. Was signed for a time with the Buffalo Bills.
  • Brock Vereen, 2010-2013. First Team All Big Ten in 2012 by coaches. Played two years with the Bears. Was also in offseason and practice squads with the Vikings, Patriots and Chiefs.
  • Cedric Thompson, 2012-2014. Had a career with five interceptions, three forced fumbles and 205 combined tackles. He was drafted by the Dolphins and played in offseason and practice squad roles with Miami, the Patriots, Vikings and Bengals.
  • Derrick Wells, 2012-2014. Solid contributor with four interceptions, five passes defended and 131 combined tackles, Signed as an undrafted free agent by the Buccaneers.
  • Damarius Travis, 2012-2016. All Big Ten Honorable Mention in 2016 by media. Was a practice squad member with the Patriots.
  • Briean Boddy Calhoun, 2013-2015. First Team All Big Ten by coaches and Second Team by media in 2014. Third Team All Big Ten in 2015. Has played for the Browns, Texans, Colts and now the 49ers.
  • Eric Murray, 2012-2015. Second Team All Big Ten by coaches and an Honorable Mention by the media in 2014. Third Team All Big Ten in 2015. Played for the Chiefs, Browns and now the Texans.
  • Jalen Myrick, 2013-2016. 2015 All Big Ten Honorable Mention, 2016 All Big Ten Honorable Mention. Has played for the Jags and went to the Vikings and Falcons for offseason/practice. In 2020 he played for the DC Defenders in the XFL.
  • Jacob Huff, 2015-2018. Didn't make the NFL but was selected 2018 All Big Ten Honorable Mention in 2018.
  • Antoine Winfield Jr., 2016-2019. First Team All Big Ten and All American in 2019, as well as Big Ten Defensive Back of the Year. Super Bowl Champion with Tampa Bay.
  • Chris Williamson, 2018-2019. Had a career with 90 combined tackles, 3.5 sacks and seven passes defended. Selected by the New York Giants and now is with the Falcons for the practice squad.
D-back U?

I wish the Vikings had any holes at all at WR so Bateman could stay but can't see any way. Nobody wants to see Jefferson or Thielen traded and don't want to see Rashod wilt as a 3rd option.

Thanks for compiling this. I will be surprised if Bateman doesn't hear his name called tonight. If he somehow manages to slip out of the first round he won't have to wait around long tomorrow. Will be fun to see where he and St. Juste end up. Hopefully they both find themselves in great situations the way Winfield and TJ did last year.
Just a copy-paste from the front page of GI (free version)--minimal if any credit goes to me!

Congrats to Trey Lance who must be the highest Minnesotan drafted in a longgggg time if not ever.

I wish the Vikings had any holes at all at WR so Bateman could stay but can't see any way. Nobody wants to see Jefferson or Thielen traded and don't want to see Rashod wilt as a 3rd option.
Thielen isn't getting younger, but hard time seeing mn go Wr in 1st 2 straight years

Way to acknowledge your family's existence, Waddle.

Top Bottom