Next Gopher Head Coach

Probably a great coach. No known Midwest connections makes me very nervous about that possible hire. Bolting back to Carolina at first chance doesn’t inspire confidence. Roy is at the end of the line.
All of this. I can't think of an argument for him over Smith, Medved or Gates.

To me I'm scared that's what Craig Smith will be....not that there is anything wrong with Tim Miles....but it seems like a hire that puts us at best in the 8th, 9th or 10th best program in the B1G. The relationship between the Gophers and the basketball community seems fractured right now....and I feel we need someone to help heal it.
Winning more will heal most of it.

Nebraska is one of the few B1G jobs that’s indisputably tougher than ours. They’ve made the NCAA tournament one time this millennium. We’ve made it six times in that same time frame. I’m not saying he’s my guy (cause he’s not, he’d be pretty far down the list), but we could do worse.

To me I'm scared that's what Craig Smith will be....not that there is anything wrong with Tim Miles....but it seems like a hire that puts us at best in the 8th, 9th or 10th best program in the B1G. The relationship between the Gophers and the basketball community seems fractured right now....and I feel we need someone to help heal it.
What if Smith is Few to Miles' Dan Monson? I'd have considered Miles a complete HR if we'd hired him when we hired Richard. Nebraska is a tough job so I don't know how much to attribute to that and how much was bad recruiting.

What if Smith is Few to Miles' Dan Monson? I'd have considered Miles a complete HR if we'd hired him when we hired Richard. Nebraska is a tough job so I don't know how much to attribute to that and how much was bad recruiting.

I'd agree that sometimes circumstances can make all the difference. You could very well be right....Smith could be the correct hire.

Winning more will heal most of it.

Nebraska is one of the few B1G jobs that’s indisputably tougher than ours. They’ve made the NCAA tournament one time this millennium. We’ve made it six times in that same time frame. I’m not saying he’s my guy (cause he’s not, he’d be pretty far down the list), but we could do worse.

See....I don't look at our job as undesirable or difficult. To me it has so many advantages that other schools, even in the B1G don't have. There is no way you will ever convince me that Iowa or Wisconsin should have a better basketball program than Minnesota.

Two things about this video, and neither of them have anything to do with Wes Miller.

1. The kid at 33 seconds (and the thumbnail) has absolutely magnificent hair.
2. Some director or station manager needs to tell Lauren Walsh (the on-site reporter) that there is a “t” in Spartans. If I heard her say spar’ans one more time, I was ready to drive down to Greensboro and punch her in the face. You’re job is to communicate, so take some effing elocution lessons.

Niko is coaching up a young csu team of mostly underclassman in their rotation and only 2 juniors. They should be very competitive for the conference title next year in the MVC. That being said, if we get Niko then there is a good shot Roddy follows him and comes home. Niko our best bet to get local recruits? Is that what Tyus is referring too? I'm starting to lean towards Niko if this is the case

See....I don't look at our job as undesirable or difficult. To me it has so many advantages that other schools, even in the B1G don't have. There is no way you will ever convince me that Iowa or Wisconsin should have a better basketball program than Minnesota.
Of course they should not be better. UW has been way more successful than Iowa. The hired a master builder, teacher to build a foundation and then a big winner with a incredible coaching staff.

I understand that....but if Craig Smith wins 35% of his conference games....he is going to have the same problem that Pitino had at Minnesota. He won't be recruiting Minnesota very well. That's my concern with Smith. I could be totally wrong and he might be able to recruit Minnesota better than any of the other candidates. But I fear he is Tim Miles 2.0.

And he's bald

Probably a great coach. No known Midwest connections makes me very nervous about that possible hire. Bolting back to Carolina at first chance doesn’t inspire confidence. Roy is at the end of the line.

He reminds me of Fleck except mellow - WOW -I'm smitten. I'd grab him in a moment and not worry about him leaving to Carolina (that's playing scared IMO) and being oh so Minnesotan.

Craig Smith and Richard are completely different. Also how do you know that Tim Miles might not of recruited MN better? I guarantee if Ben or Niko only win 35% of their conference games they won’t get MN kids either. I think we are overvaluing the local connections right now.
It’s better to have a good outsider than a mediocre insider. No question.

Would you hire Tim Miles if you were Coyle right now?
Of course not. I wouldn’t hire Ben Johnson either if the job was at MN. I wouldn’t hired Miles at New Mexico over Pitino. I think Tim would’ve done bettter here than Pitino too, but that ships sailed.

Last edited:

If it is truly between Gates, Smith and Jacobsen, then you would have to go with Smith based on his track record. He has been outstanding everywhere he has been.

If you are going on Potential: Then it's between Gates and Smith. Would come down to the interview most likely.

I am not a Jacobsen fan and would be saddened if we get stuck with him. My 4 year commitment to not hammer the new coach would be tested.

Plus, he is not bald like PJ.

Would have been interested in Jacobsen 10 or 12 years ago. Seems like he’s way past getting his shot and hasn’t had sustained success.

man Ben Jacobson??? how many coaches told us no already to get to the point of interviewing him!?
Scraping the bottom of the barrel pretty quickly. Was Tim Miles unavailable?

Top Bottom