Next Gopher Head Coach

Just think if Coyle would have canned Richie after the 2017-2018 season, like he should of, then the guy so many are pining for now could have been our coach. Guess he felt he needed to deal with the hockey situation first. Too bad.

If it's true that Musselman uses some 'interesting recruiting tactics', Coyle wouldn't have hired him then either.

This is way over your head. You think WriterGoph was selling it?

You think if I read Sid's article in the Star Tribune and then told my buddies about "supposedly, the Gophers might offer the job to Tony Dungy" that the Strib would have a cause of action? Or that they would even care? LOL

I've always known you weren't playing with a full deck but give your head a shake.
The entire time any info WriterGoph has passed on they have made it known it was through his/her connections. some old college buddy who knew a guy etc.

I have followed Muss since he was at Nevada. He is a decent coach, probably cheats on recruiting, but he is a major D bag. Grade A. You don’t want him.
People have been saying the same stuff about PJ Fleck since he got here... Sometimes those intense, driven types of coaches rub people the wrong way.

Can we beak B1G ethics and go steal Steve Pikiell?

If Muss could be had- would you prefer him?
I just don't think that's gonna happen. I can't let my mind go there anymore haha. Musselman clearly a fantastic coach.

I may have talked my way into Smith over Dutcher though.

I like Smith being OUR guy.

I just don't think that's gonna happen. I can't let my mind go there anymore haha. Musselman clearly a fantastic coach.

I may have talked my way into Smith over Dutcher though.

I like Smith being OUR guy.
Fair enough and you are probably right. I have reason to believe Muss would come but I am not sure if the U has it in them to do it.

Because he was there for quite a while and turned them from a 6 win team to a sweet 16 team in 4 years. There were likely some pay raises involved along the line.
A school gets $280,000 per round appearance for several years afterwards. So $1.4 million a year for a final four appearance per year for say 6 years would definitely create some raise incentives.

Things have gotten a bit out of hand about this whole "private info" argument, so let me address a few things:

-- I'm not a member of GI, so I don't see what's posted there.

-- As I said originally, I have been in touch with a number of people I know as this search has evolved. Some with connections to certain candidates and some who are avid Gopher fans. I've been firing off texts and sharing info as I got it.

-- I wasn't clear that yesterday's update was gathered from GI, but I was in the midst of enjoying myself watching games and having drinks with some friends and didn't think twice before quickly sharing that info. Obviously, that was a mistake and lesson learned.

-- My goal, in all of this, was to try to give some insight with so much rampant speculation going on.

Party's over though. Enjoy the search and I hope/trust the Gophers end up with a great candidate!
Keep posting!!

Screw the GI guys! Go get your shinebox! Let em come!!

There’s been a fair few endorsements of Medved/Thorson from guys that are a part of the local basketball community. Maybe it’s them wanting to see one of their own in a power conference gig but I’ve been fascinated by how many non-former Gophers have commented on who should be hired. Geno Crandall also endorsed Medved saying he wanted to see a Minnesota guy take over last week.

Is there a uniter in this pool of coaches we’re talking about? Maybe that’s Medved but overall, you can’t deny that there‘s an underlying sense of pride in representing Minnesota even for guys who have gone elsewhere. With the right hire, I think we could see widespread support of the program that we haven’t had up until this point from the basketball community.

edit: did not see this tweet posted earlier in the thread. My apologies.
Geno Crandell did play at De under Thorson, right?

Don’t know. Don’t care. Hiring Ben Johnson as the HC at the U would be a colossal mistake.

The answer is North Carolina was Dean Smith's first head coaching job....

Roy Williams...first head coaching job was Kansas....

Mark Few...first head coaching job was Gonzaga....

Tom Izzo....first head coaching job was Michigan State....

Jim Boeheim....first head coaching job was Syracuse....

John Thompson....first head coaching job was Georgetown....

Juwan Howard....first head coaching job was Michigan....,

I'm sure there are more examples....those are the ones I've looked up and verified in the last 15 minutes since I got home. If he has the support of the local basketball community....and not talking about GopherHole posters....and he is well respected a recruiter, worker and basketball mind...he would definitely be a top candidate for me despite not having head coaching experience at Alcorn State or some other low or mid major.

Who's your home run hire? Musselmen? Do you wish they had hired Musselmen instead of Pitino 8 years ago? At that time he had way less college experience than Johnson does now and was an unsuccessful NBA coach.

BTW, I wish we had hired Musselmen 8 years ago.

I just don't think that's gonna happen. I can't let my mind go there anymore haha.
People have been saying this regarding Musselman and the idea that he'd come to Minnesota... and that's OK. This is a place to discuss such silliness. We're all just waiting for an announcement.

What nobody has brought up, however... Is whether or not Musselman is a big enough egomaniac to think that he can finish what his father was unable to accomplish? He certainly does show signs of those characteristics. 🤣

I'm sure there are more examples....those are the ones I've looked up and verified in the last 15 minutes since I got home. If he has the support of the local basketball community....and not talking about GopherHole posters....and he is well respected a recruiter, worker and basketball mind...he would definitely be a top candidate for me despite not having head coaching experience at Alcorn State or some other low or mid major.

Who's your home run hire? Musselmen? Do you wish they had hired Musselmen instead of Pitino 8 years ago? At that time he had way less college experience than Johnson does now and was an unsuccessful NBA coach.

The majority of those were promoted from within the program. If Pitino just left for Louisville after leading us to 3 Sweet 16's and Ben Johnson was on the staff the whole time, I think we'd all be down with promoting him. That's not the case here.

People have been saying this regarding Musselman and the idea that he'd come to Minnesota... and that's OK. This is a place to discuss such silliness. We're all just waiting for an announcement.

What nobody has brought up, however... Is whether or not Musselman is a big enough egomaniac to think that he can finish what his father was unable to accomplish? He certainly does show signs of those characteristics. 🤣
That's pretty much what it is. He won't come here for more $ (though we'd have to match Arkansas) or because it's "better." If he comes he will have his own reasons.

Norwood Teague's poor judgment is multi-layered and continues to have domino effects years later.

I'm sure there are more examples....those are the ones I've looked up and verified in the last 15 minutes since I got home.
I'll give ya that... but if we're gonna sit down and make lists, who wants to look up how many have failed? That's gonna take some doing. You're absolutely right, though... provided that Coyle makes the right choice. Does anyone really, really want him to gamble on that? I, for one, want someone who's got experience... I don't want to roll the dice on some first time coach.

The majority of those were promoted from within the program. If Pitino just left for Louisville after leading us to 3 Sweet 16's and Ben Johnson was on the staff the whole time, I think we'd all be down with promoting him. That's not the case here.

Four were assistants at that school and three weren't. Two who were (Smith and Boeheim) were in their early 30's when promoted. If Ben Johnson has the support of the local basketball community....for me that would huge. We've spent the last 8 years with a coach who it seemed hardly recruited Minnesota when we had the best talent in the history of the state.

f it's true that Musselman uses some 'interesting recruiting tactics', Coyle wouldn't have hired him then either.
It's been said, often enough, that PJ Fleck uses some 'interesting recruiting tactics' but I doubt Coyle is getting ready to axe him...

Top Bottom