Next Gopher Head Coach

Dane Fife is probably a name that should be mentioned more.

If the hire isn’t one of the more frequent names mentioned I would be more surprised if the hire was someone like Wes Miller than Dan Fife.
As the associate head coach at Michigan State, isn't he just waiting for Izzo to die? Much like Dutcher did.

Here's a list of potential coaches.

I fai to see why the Marquette job would be better than the Loyola job.
The Indiana job is where coaches go to die.
Moser is a bright guy.
He can stay where he is, get a nice raise and more job security and wait for a job like Duke or NC opens up.
Aside from being in the BIG, which has not covered themselves in glory the last two days, why is MN a better job than Loyola?
He’s turned down 2 mill a year to go to St Johns too. Mosher was in the hot seat before they went to the final four. What a great job he’s done turning it around the last couple years to where he’s wanted by the big dogs.

Firing Pitino entailed considerable risk. He's just as good or better coach than the replacement names being mentioned. I wish he had not underperformed this year as the team was looking good for next season.
Do you really believe that? What in the world makes you feel he's as good as these names being mentioned? His B1G record? His no miss in state recruiting? His out of state recruiting? His game management? His game plans? His roster management? The plays he draws up either prior to halftime or end of game? The way his team comes out of halftime inspired due to the changes he's implementing?

I really don't know what you've been watching over the last 8 years!?

As the associate head coach at Michigan State, isn't he just waiting for Izzo to die? Much like Dutcher did.
Dwayne Stephens is the associate head coach and a Spartan alum, so he would seem to be the likely choice if they would hire from within.

Moser is a bright guy.
He can stay where he is, get a nice raise and more job security and wait for a job like Duke or NC opens up.
Aside from being in the BIG, which has not covered themselves in glory the last two days, why is MN a better job than Loyola?
All could be true, but outside of Mark Few, coaches who get hot at mid-majors usually move up or end up fading. See Ben Jacobson and Bob McKillop etc. It's hard to sustain in a small 1/2 bid league. Maybe they can convince the Big East to kick out DePaul and add Loyola.

Correct Juwan Howard is well respected and will be an NBA coach soon. He was top 3 for the wolves a couple years ago.
NBA jobs are not hard to get. The best college coaches turn them down all the time. Howard wants to stay at Michigan a long time.

There’s been a fair few endorsements of Medved/Thorson from guys that are a part of the local basketball community. Maybe it’s them wanting to see one of their own in a power conference gig but I’ve been fascinated by how many non-former Gophers have commented on who should be hired. Geno Crandall also endorsed Medved saying he wanted to see a Minnesota guy take over last week.

Is there a uniter in this pool of coaches we’re talking about? Maybe that’s Medved but overall, you can’t deny that there‘s an underlying sense of pride in representing Minnesota even for guys who have gone elsewhere. With the right hire, I think we could see widespread support of the program that we haven’t had up until this point from the basketball community.

edit: did not see this tweet posted earlier in the thread. My apologies.

Last edited:

There’s been a fair few endorsements of Medved/Thorson from guys that are a part of the local basketball community. Maybe it’s them wanting to see one of their own in a power conference gig but I’ve been fascinated by how many non-former Gophers have commented on who should be hired. Geno Crandall also endorsed Medved saying he wanted to see a Minnesota guy take over last week.

Is there a uniter in this pool of coaches we’re talking about? Maybe that’s Medved but overall, you can’t deny that there‘s an underlying sense of pride in representing Minnesota even for guys who have gone elsewhere. With the right hire, I think we could see widespread support of the program that we haven’t had up until this point from the basketball community.
Is Thorson likely to get the CSU job if we hire Medved? That could be a fly in the ointment.

I think that unifier (I like that word) is indeed the Medved/Thorson tandem. And Niko can coach, for sure. Hiring him is what I'd call a strategic hire. You'd have instant interest from some of the top local players, and if they were able to make a splash signing, you never know where the program goes from there.

Moser is a bright guy.
He will not be top 5 for UNC or Duke.

Is Thorson likely to get the CSU job if we hire Medved? That could be a fly in the ointment.

That is one reason I've been a little cold on Medved. Does he maintain the appeal without Thorson? Probably does to an extent but some of the shine is taken off when you remove Dave from the equation. The support Medved has had definitely makes me want to give him a harder look though, hoping he gets an interview.

Jerome Tang?
Not plugged in to any inside info and definitely don't have the knowledge some on here do but was wondering what anyone thinks of the Baylor lead assistant.

Tyus Jones didn’t want anything to do with the Gophers, now he’s telling us who we should hire? Laughable!
My first thoughts were similar. If he wants to pop off about college coaching, he should stick to the Duke boards. I'm still not, and never will be, a fan of his because of his choice of college team... I digress, back to my point.

There is the possibility that he may have knowledge and experience that makes his opinion matter... He was a top recruit that walked away from Minnesota. He might have some insight on how to keep future recruits from leaving.

I'm in the same boat. Moser, Scott Drew, otherwise I'm not that excited. Musselman was out coached at Nevada at times by Dutcher and Smith..
Musselman at Nevada:
vs was Dutcher 2-4 (SDSU)
vs was Smith 1-1(Utah State)

He and Dutcher basically split in the season and Dutcher won in the playoffs. So it is a little misleading to say they whooped up on him.

NBA jobs are not hard to get. The best college coaches turn them down all the time. Howard wants to stay at Michigan a long time.
NBA Head Coaching jobs are. I’ve not heard the same as you on this one. Most folks think Howard will bolt for an NBA head job still. Interesting to hear maybe he’s had a change of heart.

That is one reason I've been a little cold on Medved. Does he maintain the appeal without Thorson? Probably does to an extent but some of the shine is taken off when you remove Dave from the equation. The support Medved has had definitely makes me want to give him a harder look though, hoping he gets an interview.
Honestly a little shocked that thorson has this much allure to him

Thorson screams all game. Maybe the snowflakew like him as an assistant

Honestly a little shocked that thorson has this much allure to him

Thorson screams all game. Maybe the snowflakew like him as an assistant

He runs the defense. He’s always talked a lot to help his players. Thorson is a phenomenal coach and teacher too. His run at DE was insane. Players love him too. Why wouldn’t you want him around?

Top Bottom