Next Gopher Head Coach

We have several posters who say he is not any good.
Regardless i think he tests waters professionally. Guessing his plan was to try to be one and done not play 3 or more years.

If he is staying in college no way he downgrades you us.

I’m definitely here for this particular conspiracy theory. It goes something like this: Jim and Dave remain close. Brian tells his dad the Gophers job is going to be his, so Dutch feeds it to Dave and has Chet delay his decision so Brian can back door Few at the 11th hour. Then I wake up.
Haha, that's usually the point where I wake up, too.

Regardless i think he tests waters professionally. Guessing his plan was to try to be one and done not play 3 or more years.

If he is staying in college no way he downgrades you us.
I think he should test the waters. Chance at being a late first round pick and having a Novak type career. That is tens of millions.

Anybody remember how close Jim dutcher was to getting magic Johnson and how he went to a low level big ten ten team mich st home team instead ofplaying with Michael Thompson Kevin Mchale etc changed MSU forever

Anybody remember how close Jim dutcher was to getting magic Johnson and how he went to a low level big ten ten team mich st home team instead ofplaying with Michael Thompson Kevin Mchale etc changed MSU forever
He would not have been with Thompson as Mychal was gone in the 78 draft. According to Johnson his recruiting came down to MSU and Michigan and Jud clinched it by promising he would play point guard.

Well I guess we don’t have to worry about who’s going to coach the team in the NIT!

As soon as USU is done, make the announcement.

From what I can remember, I think Alvin Ellis and Alex Foster both decommitted after Tubby left and before Pitino was even hired. I wonder if Pohto and Thompson will decommit immediately, or maybe Pitino can convince Pohto to follow him to his next stop, if indeed he is going to be hired elsewhere shortly.
Would be shocked if Thompson leaves. I think he stays no matter what, unless the new coach doesn’t want him for some reason.

I met Magic years ago while vacationing in Hawaii. I told him I didn't like him in college since I was a Gopher fan, but loved him as a Laker (my favorite NBA team). He told me he really liked Coach Dutcher.

I met Magic years ago while vacationing in Hawaii. I told him I didn't like him in college since I was a Gopher fan, but loved him as a Laker (my favorite NBA team). He told me he really liked Coach Dutcher.
I think everyone did.

I remember how close Dutcher was to getting Glen Rice and Tommy Hammonds. They might have been the same year. I believe we were the maids of honor in both cases.

I think everyone did.

I remember how close Dutcher was to getting Glen Rice and Tommy Hammonds. They might have been the same year. I believe we were the maids of honor in both cases.
Dutcher and Jimmy Williams were a great combo

He sure would have fit it well with are nat 1 recruiting yr back then Trent tucker Gary Holmes Darryl mitcell mark hall Leo ruentins plus mchale

Back then between musselmans 1 recruiting class and dutchers four yrs later I thought it would happen again can’t believe we took it for granted back then and how hard it is to have that happen will never see it again in my lifetime

So for us out of towners, what did he say?

So Lake just said the #1 target is Dutcher with Loyola Chicago's Porter Moser looking like the main backup option...doesn't see Muss as realistic. edit: Disappointed Craig Smith and Gates weren't mentioned but this is just one reporter's source, I imagine Coyle's keeping his list close to the vest. I've always had a feeling that Dutcher was probably #1 or #2 which I would be happy with but the potential of Smith or Gates is much more exciting imo. I would probably prefer one of those two.

Last edited:

So for us out of towners, what did he say?
He said Brian Dutcher is the number 1 candidate and that Porter Moser from Loyola is being thought of as the backup plan. He also said it could get tricky with Dutcher as SDSU will likely pony up more money as well.

Personally I want Gates.

I hear that. My list is probably Smith, Gates and Dutcher in that order but it's pretty 1a and 1b with those first two. Gates' resume is just a little light for me to put him ahead of Smith right now but his ceiling may be higher.

So Lake just said the #1 target is Dutcher with Loyola Chicago's Porter Moser looking like the main backup option...doesn't see Muss as realistic. edit: Disappointed Craig Smith and Gates weren't mentioned but this is just one reporter's source. I imagine Coyle's keeping his list close to the vest. I've always had a feeling that Dutcher was probably #1 or #2 which I would be happy with but the potential of Smith or Gates is much more exciting imo. I would probably prefer one of those two.
Thanks for the report. I'm with you on all that.

I need to watch myself some Loyola and re-familiarize myself with what they do. The guy is showing that the FF run wasn't a complete fluke.

If indeed Smith isn't one of the main options, that would be strange, as he was reportedly the/a choice back a year ago.

This is getting more confusing, not less. What Lake has going for him is that he turned out to be 100% right in his earlier reporting on Pitino's status.

So Lake just said the #1 target is Dutcher with Loyola Chicago's Porter Moser looking like the main backup option...doesn't see Muss as realistic. edit: Disappointed Craig Smith and Gates weren't mentioned but this is just one reporter's source, I imagine Coyle's keeping his list close to the vest. I've always had a feeling that Dutcher was probably #1 or #2 which I would be happy with but the potential of Smith or Gates is much more exciting imo. I would probably prefer one of those two.
Thanks!

Thanks for the report. I'm with you on all that.

I need to watch myself some Loyola and re-familiarize myself with what they do. The guy is showing that the FF run wasn't a complete fluke.

If indeed Smith isn't one of the main options, that would be strange, as he was reportedly the/a choice back a year ago.

This is getting more confusing, not less. What Lake has going for him is that he turned out to be 100% right in his earlier reporting on Pitino's status.
I really like Dutcher and think he would be great here. However, Moser is great. The MVC plays some great basketball and he has won the regular season conference championship 3 of 4 years, and the tournament 2 of 4 years. Plays a fun, disciplined style on both sides of the ball. I like him as much, probably more, than Smith. I don't know enough about Gates to even comment, other than watched part of that video.

2007 Illinois State lost in the first round of the MVC Tournament for the 3rd consecutive season. Seeking a change "in the overall direction of the program," Illinois State Athletics Director Sheahon Zenger fired Moser

Top Bottom