Next Gopher Head Coach

I made the mistake of browsing the Indiana Forum.

Post of possible candidates includes:
Musselman
Scott Drew
Mike Boynton
Nate Oates
Mike Young
Chris Beard
John Beilein and That Matta among others.

Fans are calling that list depressing.
It's also likely not realistic for most of them.

Gates would be my #1.

I think when all is said and done, he will be the most successful coach in this cycle short of Brad Stevens going to Indiana.

Just my opinion.

I'm not a Porter Moser fan, but I admit I know next to nothing about him. Looking at his record, he was very underwhelming at two stops before Loyola, and was underwhelming for six years there. He finished 7th, 5th and 5th in the Sun Belt and 10th, 6th, 10th and 8th in the Missouri Valley.

At Loyola, in conference games he finished 10th, 7th, 10th, 6th, 8th and 5th before winning the conference and going to the Final Four in his seventh year. A Final Four tends to propel a program, and they've been very good the past three years.

I don't want to dismiss the Final Four and building Loyola into a Missouri Valley power. It takes chops to make that happen. I just have no reason to think he would strike gold here. He never finished higher than fifth in 13 seasons of coaching before the Final Four run.
watch the video I posted.

Musselman
Scott Drew
Mike Boynton
Nate Oates
Mike Young
Chris Beard

Fans are calling that list depressing.
Who besides Stevens are they all fired up about?

Jim Rich: People here have maroon and gold glasses and think they should be hanging banners every other year.

Nobody thinks that. The vast majority think they should contend for a Big Ten title at least occasionally.
I think it’s reasonable to be above .500 half the time

Smith, Moser, Dutcher, Gates .....

All of these guys have teams in The Dance, so we have to wait.

I'm not a patient person though.

I think it’s reasonable to be above .500 half the time
Clem was 119-120 here in conference, which translated to one Sweet Sixteen, one Elite Eight, a Big Ten title and a Final Four appearance in a year where they were legitimate national title contenders. I'll take an overall conference record of around .500 if there can be that much excitement and that many great moments mixed in there.

And it's good to know that even better than that is possible if you go by the success of the drunks to the east. Dream big, Gopher fans.

I also think it will end up being RP. It's a really interesting dynamic in NM, as there are ties to both RP and Miles, moreso to RP. It's really a challenge for Miles when you have a respected guy like Billy Donovan pulling for RP (with Rick Pitino also in the background). Topic for another day or year, but won't be surprised if RP grows and becomes a solid coach. It was just requiring too much patience on Gophers (8 years), and couldn't ignore the game management-related and at the least "bad luck."

He will also do good most likely once he gets away from the Big Ten. He couldn't win here because the conference was just too good for his coaching and recruiting abilities. Out there though, if he's mediocre, he probably still wins.

Tourney Game times for potential canidates.....

Musselman-11:45 friday (i know its a pipe dream)
Craig Smith-12:45 Friday
Porter Moser-3:00 Friday (a lot of steam on him and Depaul)
Dennis Gates-6:15 Friday
Brian Dutcher-8:40 Friday

I don't understand the questions for various coaches of
"Will their offense work here" or "Will their defense work here against Big Ten".

I would think a coach coaches based on his players and their ability. How they coach at one spot doesn't mean it will be the same somewhere else.

See this is the mistake IMO made by Pitino and many others throughout the years and the reason for the inconsistency here.

You need to install your system, get your program to buy into it, then recruit to it. You need to be extremely efficient at what you do, both offensively and defensively. Changing your stripes year to year, makes you a jack of all trades, master of none. Build the system, get the buy in, recruit players that fit. It is hard to get this going, but that simple really.

Musselman
Scott Drew
Mike Boynton
Nate Oates
Mike Young
Chris Beard

Fans are calling that list dep

Might as well just quit my damn job
During my work zoom calls, my eyes spend more time shifting to my personal desktop with gopherhole, then it does looking at my macbook zoom session.

See this is the mistake IMO made by Pitino and many others throughout the years and the reason for the inconsistency here.

You need to install your system, get your program to buy into it, then recruit to it. You need to be extremely efficient at what you do, both offensively and defensively. Changing your stripes year to year, makes you a jack of all trades, master of none. Build the system, get the buy in, recruit players that fit. It is hard to get this going, but that simple really.
Pitino committed to an uptempo style and went after those recruits- he just couldn't get them very often.
Recall that the first two point guards he got were Dre Matheui and Dorsey, two of the fastest kids on a basketball court I have seen. After his first year he went after every east coast four or five star that would listen and lost most every time.
So he lost a couple of years attempting to get high end guys in here that were never going to come to Minnesota. And he ran into trouble with character issues as well - which is part of the bargain when going after high end athletes several states away. They are not coming to Minnesota unless there is a flaw in their game- like shooting or possible character red flags.
Three years in or so he realized he had to change tactics in order to survive here. By then his seat was already warm and he had lost some of the locals.

Pat Forde tweeted his list....
Musselman
Dutcher
Gates
Medved
Miller
Rice

X Factor-Kenny Payne...

Pitino committed to an uptempo style and went after those recruits- he just couldn't get them very often.
Recall that the first two point guards he got were Dre Matheui and Dorsey, two of the fastest kids on a basketball court I have seen. After his first year he went after every east coast four or five star that would listen and lost most every time.
So he lost a couple of years attempting to get high end guys in here that were never going to come to Minnesota. And he ran into trouble with character issues as well - which is part of the bargain when going after high end athletes several states away. They are not coming to Minnesota unless there is a flaw in their game- like shooting or possible character red flags.
Three years in or so he realized he had to change tactics in order to survive here. By then his seat was already warm and he had lost some of the locals.
This is also why it's okay to come in with your own system, but even the best coaches who've managed to survive the Big Ten gauntlet find you have to adjust at least a little. The reason why an Oats or Musselman are such good candidates (I know, not coming) is because they manage the frantic pace on offense with good shooters who can also attack the rim, but ALSO respect fact you need some kind of presence down low. There have been coaches who cycle through the Big Ten thinking they can get by without that, and they fail.

The moment the hire is announced people will speculate ‘this guy will land Chet.’

Top Bottom