New Weights are in!

weight, in and of itself, is not all that revealing. I know they would never publish it, but I would be more interested to see a chart of the players' body-fat index from one year to the next. If players are cutting body fat and replacing it with lean muscle mass, they could actually drop some weight, but be in much better condition with greater cardio-vascular capacity, flexibility, etc. You don't have to be a behemoth to play OL.

Looks like Kirkwood must be getting ripped. Maybe he lost his pot belly. Eye of the tiger. Mostly looks like the guys that need to add weight did so and the guys that could stand to lose some baby fat did so. Way to go coaches. Leaner, faster, and stronger.

weight, in and of itself, is not all that revealing. I know they would never publish it, but I would be more interested to see a chart of the players' body-fat index from one year to the next. If players are cutting body fat and replacing it with lean muscle mass, they could actually drop some weight, but be in much better condition with greater cardio-vascular capacity, flexibility, etc. You don't have to be a behemoth to play OL.
I actually like fatter O-lineman. Obviously strength is better but i'd take a 6-5, 325 OG that benches 400 and squats 500 or whatever over a 6-5, 300 OG that benches 400 and squats 500.

Looks like Kirkwood must be getting ripped. Maybe he lost his pot belly. Eye of the tiger. Mostly looks like the guys that need to add weight did so and the guys that could stand to lose some baby fat did so. Way to go coaches. Leaner, faster, and stronger.

I'd say De'Vondre Campbell and Theiren Cockran, the 2 guys that needed to gain the most weight on D gained the least.

This.

I actually like fatter O-lineman. Obviously strength is better but i'd take a 6-5, 325 OG that benches 400 and squats 500 or whatever over a 6-5, 300 OG that benches 400 and squats 500.

Not this. I would take a mobile 6-5, 300# OG that benches 400 and squats 500 over an immobile 6-5, 325# OG that benches 400 and squats 500. Any day. There's a point where the added weight is a detriment to both. Finding that sweet spot is what they have tried to do.

I'd say De'Vondre Campbell and Theiren Cockran, the 2 guys that needed to gain the most weight on D gained the least.

Sorry, but flat out wrong. Ever looked at their body types? They are build for quickness. They are the perfect size for their heights and playing styles.

I think this being the 4th year for Coach Klein, it could be the focus now is on lean muscle mass, percentage of body fat. They have those numbers for every player but the roster shows only height and weight. I favor the lean mean player.

The way Robert Ndondo-lay was beating Pirsig like a a rented mule during the spring game I'd argue speed trumps mass at the DE position. Sure, we'd like to have the DEs be 265 pounds of lean muscle but if they're 265 pounds with excessive fat it's going to slow them down a notch.

Speaking of which, they had a shot of Salzwedel on the sideline during the spring game and he looked almost gaunt. Couldn't believe it. There might be more to that story (you think?)

Sorry, but flat out wrong. Ever looked at their body types? They are build for quickness. They are the perfect size for their heights and playing styles.
Except they themselves have even said that they need to gain 20 pounds in the long term. Campbell wants to get to 245 and played at 225 last yet is still listed at 225 and TC said he wants to eventually get up to 260/265 and his goal for this season is at least 250/255 yet he is only 245. Kill has said himself that TC still has a long way to go in filling out his frame. Those are perfect weights for there heights and playing styles as pass rushers first and than if they were run stoppers first they would need to get to 260 and 280 which is not what i'm asking. They bled yards against the rush though so an extra 20 pounds of good weight would be the perfect equilibrium between being a pass rusher first and a run stopper second.

The way Robert Ndondo-lay was beating Pirsig like a a rented mule during the spring game I'd argue speed trumps mass at the DE position. Sure, we'd like to have the DEs be 265 pounds of lean muscle but if they're 265 pounds with excessive fat it's going to slow them down a notch.

Speaking of which, they had a shot of Salzwedel on the sideline during the spring game and he looked almost gaunt. Couldn't believe it. There might be more to that story (you think?)
Agree on speed. I stood next to TC after the Spring Game and he sure did not look slight.

Except they themselves have even said that they need to gain 20 pounds in the long term. Campbell wants to get to 245 and played at 225 last yet is still listed at 225 and TC said he wants to eventually get up to 260/265 and his goal for this season is at least 250/255 yet he is only 245. Kill has said himself that TC still has a long way to go in filling out his frame. Those are perfect weights for there heights and playing styles as pass rushers first and than if they were run stoppers first they would need to get to 260 and 280 which is not what i'm asking. They bled yards against the rush though so an extra 20 pounds of good weight would be the perfect equilibrium between being a pass rusher first and a run stopper second.

+1. I rarely disagree with highwayman, but TC & DC could benefit by putting on weight.

Not this. I would take a mobile 6-5, 300# OG that benches 400 and squats 500 over an immobile 6-5, 325# OG that benches 400 and squats 500. Any day. There's a point where the added weight is a detriment to both. Finding that sweet spot is what they have tried to do.
Kill and Limegrover themselves prefer bigger, slower, stronger lineman and would take 320 pounders over 300 pounders any day. It doesn't really matter if you are mobile or not when you run the ball up the middle 65% percent of the time with what? A foot splits? There is a reason Wisconsin averaged 322 on the O-line an ran for 3,500 yards last year. We aren't Oregon either.

+1. I rarely disagree with highwayman, but TC & DC could benefit by putting on weight.

He is right in that they have certain frames and playing styles and they can't add too much weight to still be effective and there is a limit but he is wrong that they are already at that point. Still far off.

Weights will fluctuate pretty dramatically as guys gain muscle then cut down to playing weight. These weights are VERY fluid depending on time of year.

From ESPN

"The specialized, important role of rushing the passer has gradually resulted in a noticeable trend in the body mass of defensive ends.

They're getting slimmer.

From 2001 to 2005, there were more defensive ends who weighed 271 pounds or more than there were who weighed 270 pounds or less. In 2006, the ratio of lighter to heavier defensive ends became almost equal, and the trend continued until those weighing more than 270 pounds have become a rarity.

This wasn't an arbitrary decision (or possibly even a conscious one); it was the result of the position's emerging requirements. Perhaps a coach somewhere looked at the number of defensive ends who recorded double-digit sacks over the past decade and noticed most of them weighed less than 270 pounds, despite the fact the majority of the ends weighed more.

Even more telling was the weight difference seemed to correspond perfectly with the number of sacks the player was posting. Defensive ends weighing less than 270 pounds, on average, recorded more sacks than their heavier colleagues in each of the past 10 seasons.

The trend that's emerging is that the all-out sprint after the quarterback on every down necessitates a slimmer build than in years past. ESPN NFL analyst Herm Edwards explains, "you don't have to be a big guy anymore. If [defensive ends] can't play the run, teams can live with that. Just go and hit the quarterback."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2011/news/story?id=6410802

I agree completely. Speed does trump mass with a player like Theiren Cockran but he is far away from adding so much weight that it would hamper him as a pass rusher. Anything bigger than 265 would be a detriment but he can still get up to at least 250 while still having that same speed and athleticism.

And in the Big Ten you just need to be able to stop the run. This isn't the Big 12 or the NFL.

I really don't have a problem with your daily football affirmations but it seems like Stuart Smalley a.k.a Al Franken has way to much money if he can afford run all those ads every day. My comment has nothing to do about conservatives vs. liberals but has everything to do about the role of money in politics today. Unfortunately politicians today spend more time on getting elected than they do on doing the peoples business.:rolleyes:

God, some of you guys really hate the Gophers.

Unless the guy who's 325lb fades by halftime because he's lugging all that extra weight around, with no extra benefit in strength.

Kill and Limegrover themselves prefer bigger, slower, stronger lineman and would take 320 pounders over 300 pounders any day. It doesn't really matter if you are mobile or not when you run the ball up the middle 65% percent of the time with what? A foot splits? There is a reason Wisconsin averaged 322 on the O-line an ran for 3,500 yards last year. We aren't Oregon either.

First off, there's no right or wrong on this. Second, the coaches absolutely never said they prefer slower linemen. I appreciate your enthusiasm, but you can't literally believe they want "slower" linemen? You make a valid point though that we do want big, strong, road graders. That said, if it were that simple we'd only sign guys who go 335lb+ & win the B1G right? No, A guy that size still has to be athletic & quick at the B1G level. Tim Davis tried the "mass kicks ass" model here & it wasn't a winning formula. What we don't want are fat guys, who're no stronger than they would be if they lost 20lbs, plus they're slower & more poorly conditioned because the weight. A guy like Campion might be a good example. I'm not saying he was fat, but if he can slim down to a still reasonable weight, but keep the strength, improve explosiveness, have better stamina & be more flexible, what coach wouldn't want that? Also, players are different heights & that's important. 305lb on Pirsig @ 6'9" is too thin, but 305lb on Tommy Olson @ 6'4" is solid.

Overall it looks to me like the guys who needed to drop some fat di & the guys who needed to gain some muscle did. None of this was random, the coaches, via the S & C program, dictated these changes & they know what they're doing.

The sell on Connelly is how quick he is, how quick his feet are, etc. Ryan Burns after watching him camp said he reminded him of Lauer, but much much quicker. Quickest lineman on the roster if he signed as I recall? He also said Lauer had much better coaching/technique coming in, but coaching Connelly will get plenty of at the U.

To me the "beautiful game" is not soccer but a defense beating the living day lights out of the opposing QB. If we can get to the QB often and early (hits and sacks) and get in his head that is a huge factor.

The Nebraska game last year had me fired up because the D was bringing the wood on the QB, the ball carriers, everybody. It was a beautiful thing.

It's really hard to put on lean mass. Try it some time. Without a little, ahem, assistance Campbell isn't going to put on 20 pounds of muscle in the offseason. I'd guess that will take upwards of 2 years or so unless he's a freak. I'd hate to see him get jiggly.

I really don't have a problem with your daily football affirmations but it seems like Stuart Smalley a.k.a Al Franken has way to much money if he can afford run all those ads every day. My comment has nothing to do about conservatives vs. liberals but has everything to do about the role of money in politics today. Unfortunately politicians today spend more time on getting elected than they do on doing the peoples business.:rolleyes:

I don't live in MN anymore so I have no idea about the ads and frankly I don't follow politics closely so I didn't realize it was a senator year in MN. Probably a bad time to pull out the bit. It was meant as a dig at all the pessimists and woe is me fans on here.

Sorry about that.

I don't live in MN anymore so I have no idea about the ads and frankly I don't follow politics closely so I didn't realize it was a senator year in MN. Probably a bad time to pull out the bit. It was meant as a dig at all the pessimists and woe is me fans on here.

Sorry about that.

My last comment on this. From my perspective your intent is right on!

Oh, i might also add that Anthony Barr, maybe the second best pass rusher in the draft pick weighed in at 255 at 6-5 as an OLB yet some of you act like like anything above 230 would be detrimental to DC's play.

There's no doubt he's trying to put on weight but based on his frame I'd guess he's a "hard gainer". It will take time. By the time the draft rolls around I'm sure he'll be heavier than he is today.

Oh, i might also add that Anthony Barr, maybe the second best pass rusher in the draft pick weighed in at 255 at 6-5 as an OLB yet some of you act like like anything above 230 would be detrimental to DC's play.
The first time I saw Salzwedel after a practice with the pads off I was surprised at howslim he was. Looked more like like a shooting guard. I don't think he could add the weight.

The weight that bothers me the most is Cam at 281. Starting B1G dt at 281?

He's a little tall and a little light, yeah. But if he can control his gap he'll get the starts; let the other guys get the sacks. He's come a long way for a walk-on.

Scott Ekpe looked like a new guy in the spring game, he looked like a beast. I think he'll have a great junior and senior year.

Yeah, Cam at 281 is a little strange. If I'm not mistaking he had an injury during the spring so maybe he's been limited in how he can workout. The good news is these guys still have 2 months before the season if they aren't where they want to be physically.

Where did Campbell say he wants to get to 245lbs?

Top Bottom