New Vikings stadium... and how it might relate to Gopher game day

Final Four - $200 million in revenue
Super Bowl - $400 million in revenue
Increase in liquor sales due to tailgating
Construction jobs for the next 5 years
Possible Olympic Bid - $2 Billion in revenue
Millions of dollars in state income tax from the players

Ya, this Stadium is a TERRIBLE idea.

The event numbers are always grossly inflated. Most impartial economists and university studies have concluded that Super Bowls and Final Fours add very little to the local economy.

Olympic bid?
The stadium would have to be configured (in its original design) to fit a 400-meter track along with everything else that goes with it (room for field-level press, race officials, etc.) This would put lower level football seating far from the action.
Re-constructing the stadium (after it's completed) to fit the Olympics would also be extremely pricey, and it would then have to be de-constructed after the Games are finished to accomodate the sightlines for football.
A warm-up track would have to be built outside the stadium.
A massive transit system (if we're talking Arden Hills) would have to be built. The IOC will simply not choose Minneapolis if this is not done.
Cities hosting Olympics (particularly the Summer Games) are saddled with massive debt that can take decades to recover from (see Montreal, Atlanta and now Beijing).
Final Four? Not at a cold-weather site that's not linked to downtown.

Olympic bid?
The stadium would have to be configured (in its original design) to fit a 400-meter track along with everything else that goes with it (room for field-level press, race officials, etc.) This would put lower level football seating far from the action.
Re-constructing the stadium (after it's completed) to fit the Olympics would also be extremely pricey, and it would then have to be de-constructed after the Games are finished to accomodate the sightlines for football.
A warm-up track would have to be built outside the stadium.
A massive transit system (if we're talking Arden Hills) would have to be built. The IOC will simply not choose Minneapolis if this is not done.
Cities hosting Olympics (particularly the Summer Games) are saddled with massive debt that can take decades to recover from (see Montreal, Atlanta and now Beijing).
Final Four? Not at a cold-weather site that's not linked to downtown.

Which are reasons I am opposed to a roofed stadium all the way up in Arden Hills. The multi-functional revenue angle is way overblown as it is, and it is very diminished in the 'burbs.

And as toward the other thread of discussion: I will never forget driving half-way to bumfuqnowhere [or a bit outside Alexandria MN] with the promise of homemade BBQ only to discover with some horror a frickin bland Sloppy Joe. BBQ only has three ingredients that cannot be substituted. Meat, smoke and time. And a sloppy joe barely has one of them. Goddam Red River Valley. Items cooked in a direct heat method (ie steaks, sausage, hamburgers)are grilled not barbecued, a confusion common in the midwest. Calling something cooked in a Crockpot BBQ, however, is enough to make any barbecue enthusiast contemplate violence.

Which are reasons I am opposed to a roofed stadium all the way up in Arden Hills. The multi-functional revenue angle is way overblown as it is, and it is very diminished in the 'burbs.

And as toward the other thread of discussion: I will never forget driving half-way to bumfuqnowhere [or a bit outside Alexandria MN] with the promise of homemade BBQ only to discover with some horror a frickin bland Sloppy Joe. BBQ only has three ingredients that cannot be substituted. Meat, smoke and time. And a sloppy joe barely has one of them. Goddam Red River Valley. Items cooked in a direct heat method (ie steaks, sausage, hamburgers)are grilled not barbecued, a confusion common in the midwest. Calling something cooked in a Crockpot BBQ, however, is enough to make any barbecue enthusiast contemplate violence.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/barbeque

You are right.

The Tainu (West Indian) word "barbacoa" which translates as "sacred fire pit". That does not include or exclude Smoke and or Time. I personally tend to use grill or grilling for "fast" foods, in my case Brats, Dogs, Burgers, etc. and BBQ for Ribs, Brisket, etc.
I think this is just another of those words that retain different meanings based on which part of the country one is influenced by.
Anyway you say it, I love the food that comes off it.
I grew up in an area,Duluth, that called them Sloppy Joes. We do call something that is done low and slow in a slow cooker or crock pot a BBQ'd pulled pork sandwich, and don't give a rip what any purist has to say about it. As for "Maid Rites" those are a loose meat sandwiches.
I can tell you I am way ready for tailgating season to start, and my BBQ/Grill is getting warmed up.

The Tainu (West Indian) word "barbacoa" which translates as "sacred fire pit". That does not include or exclude Smoke and or Time. I personally tend to use grill or grilling for "fast" foods, in my case Brats, Dogs, Burgers, etc. and BBQ for Ribs, Brisket, etc.
I think this is just another of those words that retain different meanings based on which part of the country one is influenced by.
Anyway you say it, I love the food that comes off it.
I grew up in an area,Duluth, that called them Sloppy Joes. We do call something that is done low and slow in a slow cooker or crock pot a BBQ'd pulled pork sandwich, and don't give a rip what any purist has to say about it. As for "Maid Rites" those are a loose meat sandwiches.
I can tell you I am way ready for tailgating season to start, and my BBQ/Grill is getting warmed up.

I'm with you. My post was more directed at those who want to exclude.

i always thought the bar-b-q thing as a sloppy joe was a below highway 12 kind of thing. I grew up in Pipestone, and we had barbeques for school lunch, and at the local Dairy Queen. The Dari-King too, but I digress. I have Iowegians in the family too, and they indeed call them Taverns. Mind you, I just grill. I haven't the time or the patience to make brisket. I will cook some brats, some burgers, and what have you.

On topic, as a Saint Paul resident, I strongly object to a half cent sales tax for a stadium that brings me absolutely no direct benefit. A stadium in Arden Hills brings me less benefit than a person in say, Columbia Heights, and I have to pay for it with every purchase. The lack of a referendum is a total end-around, and it is shameful. If it is really a state-wide benefit, then apply the sales tax to Ely.

On topic, as a Saint Paul resident, I strongly object to a half cent sales tax for a stadium that brings me absolutely no direct benefit. A stadium in Arden Hills brings me less benefit than a person in say, Columbia Heights, and I have to pay for it with every purchase. The lack of a referendum is a total end-around, and it is shameful. If it is really a state-wide benefit, then apply the sales tax to Ely.

I couldn't agree with you more, Saint Paul. And to top it all off for you, a Vikings Stadium along I-35W in Arden Hills is going to seem to most people (especially from outside Minnesota) that it is in Minneapolis. And if Arden Hills is ever mentioned by the national media it will be as a suburb of Minneapolis.

Further, any benefit from future development the will be more likely to go to Minneapolis rather than St. Paul whose residents will be paying more than half of Ramsey County's share of the costs. What is happening to taxpayers who live in St. Paul is absolutely absurd.

Saint Paul should net positive over the life of the stadium, just like the rest of the county, if it ends up being built in Arden Hills.

Generally I agree with you here...

Saint Paul should net positive over the life of the stadium, just like the rest of the county, if it ends up being built in Arden Hills.

but in a more overall sense. As a few threads on here have argued, it is very difficult to quantify the economic impact things like stadiums, theaters, museums, and dollars they generate through events. They tend to have more impact on the almost impossible to pin down "quality of life" factor. Economics is a "murky" science at the best of times, where two Economists can look at the same exact numbers and trends and come up with radically different answers, and this is one of the classic examples. I am kind of ambivalent towards the Vikings, I will watch the games, but I will not change plans to make sure. I find the discussion to be the interesting part.

I wasn't looking for a stadium debate or a ground beef discussion. I was simply curious if people thought a suburban stadium with easy tailgating might drive more tailgating and "let's make a day of it" behavior at the new brickhouse. It seems that all the time in the Metrodome has conditioned most fans to arrive late and leave early.

diatribe time

I too am interested in the impact a new Vikings stadium may have on Gopher football and or the University of Minnesota as a whole. I've thought all along the Vikings (read Wilf family) have gone about trying to get a new stadium in the worst way possible. As risk of sounding provencial, the Wilf's East Coast strategy is clearly not working to a vast majority of legislatures and local constituents.

The current Arden Hills plan is so shorted-sighted in my opinion. Think how many years went into the master plan to build TCF Bank Stadium and now the surrounding East Gateway District. It is slowly taking shape with The Bank being the cornerstone, a lightrail stop just steps away from the stadium entrance, and then eventual Bioscience corridor surrounding the stadium. Yes, I lament of the loss of tailgating in close proximity to the stadium over time but it isn't what it could be anyways. The U's screwed the pooch in that regards, but I digress.

If the Vikings (Wilfs) always thought that Arden Hills was the best option all along they should have had design / engineering / marketing / financials in place well before the legislature was in session. They (Wilfs) were trying to play whichever local entity was willing to give them the best deal before they decided on a site and now only have a site (Arden Hills) because a couple of county commissioner rubes want to suck the money-laden teat of the Wilfs for their own best interest which is most not likely in the best interest of Ramsey County taxpayers.

IMO there will be more tumbleweeds blowing across the acreage of the former Twin Cities Army Munitions plant than footballs being kicked around come fall of 2014. If the stadium comes to pass however and ZiggyWorld is built I do not think it will impact Gopher game day much at all. Reason being is tailgating as we know it around the U will be greatly effected by the aforementioned construction / developement so we as fans should be looking at a more Madison-like pregame atmosphere predicated on enjoyment of the bar scene with traditional tailgating reserved for the open areas in the hinterlands (i.e. Mississippi Flats, West Bank and St. Paul campus). It will take more effort, imigination and organization to tailgate in those areas vs. pulling up a Ford F350 diesel pickup, paying your $50, taking a cooler with a case of Miller Lite and 2 bags Doritos and parking somewhere on 15 paved acres of parking that ZiggyWorld will offer.

I hope legislators, once the more prescient items are addressed, realize that a stadium in Arden Hills is not in the best interest of Minnesota long term. If the Vikings are to stay in Minnesota they need to be in a core city and have an indoors facility that can be used year around. So the Vikings lose some revenue by needing to play at The Bank for a couple of years, boo hoo. That money will be more than recouped upon sale of the team by the Wilfs someday. A new stadium will be around a lot longer than the Wilf regimen and benefit millions of people. I'm not necessarily advocating the Metrodome site because I think building upon the Farmer's Market site would create an unmatched trio of urban stadia anywhere in the world and create worldwide acclaim for Minneapolis. It may take an extra year of planning but in the long run it would be worth it if done right.

I wasn't looking for a stadium debate or a ground beef discussion. I was simply curious if people thought a suburban stadium with easy tailgating might drive more tailgating and "let's make a day of it" behavior at the new brickhouse. It seems that all the time in the Metrodome has conditioned most fans to arrive late and leave early.

The answer is an obvious yes. Too obvious, really. Having all the parking around the stadium and being able to have a true "tailgate city" at the stadium are obviously the correct way to go. Everyone benefits from this type of set-up.

It also makes it easier for people who don't like going downtown Mpls to go to the game. Basically, that's everyone in the region who doesn't work or play DT.

The answer is an obvious yes. Too obvious, really. Having all the parking around the stadium and being able to have a true "tailgate city" at the stadium are obviously the correct way to go. Everyone benefits from this type of set-up.

It also makes it easier for people who don't like going downtown Mpls to go to the game. Basically, that's everyone in the region who doesn't work or play DT.

Let me see, who and what should I agree with? Your incredibly simplistic analysis (or is it simple minded?) of what you and other fans want for a new Vikings Stadium, or normandale's well thought out and written analysis of what is in the best interest of tax payers and the entire Twin Cities Metropolitan Area. I guess I am going to align myself with normandale who is the opposite of a moron. Nice try though.

Let me see, who and what should I agree with? Your incredibly simplistic analysis (or is it simple minded?) of what you and other fans want for a new Vikings Stadium, or normandale's well thought out and written analysis of what is in the best interest of tax payers and the entire Twin Cities Metropolitan Area. I guess I am going to align myself with normandale who is the opposite of a moron. Nice try though.

It doesn't matter what anyone thinks if the state won't provide their fair share of money.

I wish that Wilf and Ramsey County would build an open-air stadium on the ammo plant site using no state money and thumb their nose at the state. That seems like such the obvious answer.

There's no way you can convince me that $750 wouldn't be enough to build something as good as Pittsburgh's stadium.

I wish that Wilf and Ramsey County would build an open-air stadium on the ammo plant site using no state money and thumb their nose at the state. That seems like such the obvious answer.

And why would Ramsey County want to pony up all that dough for a facility that gets used 10-12 times a year versus a multipurpose venue that can draw a wider variety of events to stimulate the local economy?

If the Wilfs wanted to do that, they should have gone in with the State Fair. Build it around the grandstand. The Vikes get the stadium however they want it, and the Fair gets another 150,000 square feet of exhibit space as well a a concert facility with setups anywhere between 13,000 and 72,000.

But this whole thing is about Zygi Wilf getting the land for nothing, and developing it from scratch. The stadium itself is a decoy.

I'd really like to know how you figure that. The bulk of St. Paul hotels, bars, etc are in the downtown zone. It's really no easier to stay in Downtown St. Paul and commute to Arden Hills, than Downtown Minneapolis, and quite honestly, a lot more dull. Nobody cares what county the stadium is in. Target Field, which is supported by Hennepin County, is at least located in an area that can capture the maximum amount of visitor revenue and keep it in the county.

If you are suggesting that there will be development around the stadium that will generate tax revenue, I would remind you that all Minneapolis got out of 30 years of the Metrodome was Hubert's.

Ziggy wants the parking revenue. And he gets to keep that. That is why the Minneapolis site isn't being considered by the Vikings, along with the 3 year loss of revenue that they would get by playing at the U. I won't even touch the beer issue.

The Minneapolis site has existing freeway infrastructure, mass transit access, and isn't on a super-fund site.

as to the original poster's question, I think it really comes down to what the price point of those Viking parking spots are, and what the game day experience is like inside the stadium. If they are $50-$60 a piece, I think it is more likely that people will bring some hot dogs and a grill, and think of the parking space as something besides a spot they use while the game is on. By my calculations. they are short on parking, requiring the average car to have 3 passengers per vehicle (too many groups of two will foul that up), so the shortage will encourage people to come early and have something to do while passing the time.

I would like to think that the University could only benefit from expanding the number of people exposed to football tailgating.

The Minneapolis site has existing freeway infrastructure, mass transit access, and isn't on a super-fund site.

You're all good except for the freeway infrastructure part. The Dome site is a terrible spot for getting in and getting out despite its proximity to 2 freeways. That's because the ways onto those freeways are very limited and there are far too many choke points that prevent an orderly flow of traffic to them. The Arden Hills location won't have that issue.

Everything else you point out is completely true though. Mass transit, better hotel and entertainment options close by, etc.

Minneapolis screwed themselves. They waited until really late in the game (i.e. until it was clear they would lose the Vikes and all the money they bring the City to Arden Hills) to push out a plan that they never worked with the Vikings on.

I'd really like to know how you figure that. The bulk of St. Paul hotels, bars, etc are in the downtown zone. It's really no easier to stay in Downtown St. Paul and commute to Arden Hills, than Downtown Minneapolis, and quite honestly, a lot more dull. Nobody cares what county the stadium is in. Target Field, which is supported by Hennepin County, is at least located in an area that can capture the maximum amount of visitor revenue and keep it in the county.

If you are suggesting that there will be development around the stadium that will generate tax revenue, I would remind you that all Minneapolis got out of 30 years of the Metrodome was Hubert's.

Ziggy wants the parking revenue. And he gets to keep that. That is why the Minneapolis site isn't being considered by the Vikings, along with the 3 year loss of revenue that they would get by playing at the U. I won't even touch the beer issue.

Here's how I figure: X is the amount of revenue that Saint Paul would pull in with 30 years of Vikings games played at the ammo plant, Y is the amount of revenue that SP would pull in if the stadium is not built at the ammo plant in the same time frame and Z is the amount of money that SP would lose from sales not taking place within the city because of the additional tax to build the stadium in the same time frame.

X-Y > Z

Here's how I figure: X is the amount of revenue that Saint Paul would pull in with 30 years of Vikings games played at the ammo plant, Y is the amount of revenue that SP would pull in if the stadium is not built at the ammo plant in the same time frame and Z is the amount of money that SP would lose from sales not taking place within the city because of the additional tax to build the stadium in the same time frame.

X-Y > Z

M+S+P > StP for local and statewide revenue would be my equation.

I would guess a majority of Viking fans who require a hotel stay in the Twin Cities come from the west, south and north of Minneapolis proper. Eastward you get St. Paul and then a melding of a fanbase clad in green and gold. So said fan from the west, south or north of Minneapolis is now going to drive an extra 15 minutes in traffic to stay in a locale with inferior entertainment, dining and shopping options and limited hotel availability to stay in downtown St. Paul or as the Wilf's eventually hope a fabricated hotel and entertainment complex on par with Block E-types venues. I don't think so.

Keep in mind people have been traveling from Fargo, Mankato, Sioux Falls and Rochester are comfortable with their lodging options and probably have a routine down. I doubt they are going to find a new hotel in downtown St. Paul so they can eat at Meritage and go to a play at the Ordway, these are Viking fans afterall.

Ramsey county will not get back a tenth of what the sales tax will be levied upon its citizens from people visiting just for a Vikings game.

I too am interested in the impact a new Vikings stadium may have on Gopher football and or the University of Minnesota as a whole. I've thought all along the Vikings (read Wilf family) have gone about trying to get a new stadium in the worst way possible.

Lemmie stop you right there.. Zigy and family haven't gone about getting help for a new stadium the best way, that's for sure. But the worst way possible? Dude, lets not forget the previous owner, Mr. McCombs and how he 'tried' getting a new stadium. He was so effing childish about it that he obviously gave the MN legislature such a bad taste about the Vikings that they finally are having talks what? 6+ years after Red sold the team?

For as much the Wilfs could be going about this a better way, so could have the state of MN government.

What do you guys think of Coleman's trade proposal? I love the idea of moving the T-Wolves over to the Xcel center, building a practice facility for both the Wolves and Wild and retiring the Target Center debt - all for the same price as renovating the Target Center.

The other part of it, trying to trade away having Ramsey County support the Vikings stadium, won't and shouldn't fly. Arden Hills is the correct location for the Vikings and will create a true "tailgate city" atmosphere that the Vikings and the NFL want to see.

M+S+P > StP for local and statewide revenue would be my equation.

I would guess a majority of Viking fans who require a hotel stay in the Twin Cities come from the west, south and north of Minneapolis proper. Eastward you get St. Paul and then a melding of a fanbase clad in green and gold. So said fan from the west, south or north of Minneapolis is now going to drive an extra 15 minutes in traffic to stay in a locale with inferior entertainment, dining and shopping options and limited hotel availability to stay in downtown St. Paul or as the Wilf's eventually hope a fabricated hotel and entertainment complex on par with Block E-types venues. I don't think so.

Keep in mind people have been traveling from Fargo, Mankato, Sioux Falls and Rochester are comfortable with their lodging options and probably have a routine down. I doubt they are going to find a new hotel in downtown St. Paul so they can eat at Meritage and go to a play at the Ordway, these are Viking fans afterall.

Ramsey county will not get back a tenth of what the sales tax will be levied upon its citizens from people visiting just for a Vikings game.

Don't get me wrong, I don't expect X to be much higher than Y but it will slightly higher. St Paul will have slightly increased revenue due to the stadium being in Arden Hills.

The point is really that Z will be essentially zero. St Paul will lose almost no money by having the stadium in AH. Since it will be a county-wide sales tax, the city basically pays nothing.

Let's try this one more time. Ramsey County's share of a Arden Hill's football stadium will be paid by a half-cent sales tax. Well over 50% of that sales tax will be paid by St. Paul residents. Unless the St. Paul residents are Viking season ticket holders they will receive very little benefit from the sales tax they pay for the next 30 years. Minneapolis will get well over 90% of the spinoff business revenue from a stadium in Arden Hills (hotels, restaurants, bars, etc.).

An Arden Hills Vikings stadium will essentially be a Minneapolis stadium because of its location along I-35W. And Minneapolis taxpayers will not have to pay a dime for it. The members of the Ramsey County Board who voted for this deal are morons - plain and simple. The Governor and State Legislature are going to have to renegotiate the deal Ramsey County did with the Viking because they gave away the store. The terms and conditions those yokels agreed to are an absolute disgrace.

Bison, I could not disagree with you more. Ramsey is the most urban county in the state. 2010 Census data says that 56% of the people in Ramsey County live in the city of St. Paul. The Stadium is not going to be in St. Paul It's going to be in Arden hills. It is 16 minutes from the Metrodome to the stadium site in Arden Hills. It is 16 minutes from the Xcel to the stadium site in Arden Hills, according to Google Maps.

St. Paul is not going to capture revenue from the Arden Hills site sufficient to cover the every day purchases made by St. Paul residents. To say that this is a revenue neutral site is pure folly. It is a bad decision by Ramsey County to sponsor this thing, and it is a far larger tax than Hennepin County is paying for Target Field, has fewer events, and is in location less likely to capture any benefit to the people paying the tax.

Let's try this one more time. Ramsey County's share of a Arden Hill's football stadium will be paid by a half-cent sales tax. Well over 50% of that sales tax will be paid by St. Paul residents. Unless the St. Paul residents are Viking season ticket holders they will receive very little benefit from the sales tax they pay for the next 30 years. Minneapolis will get well over 90% of the spinoff business revenue from a stadium in Arden Hills (hotels, restaurants, bars, etc.).

An Arden Hills Vikings stadium will essentially be a Minneapolis stadium because of its location along I-35W. And Minneapolis taxpayers will not have to pay a dime for it. The members of the Ramsey County Board who voted for this deal are morons - plain and simple. The Governor and State Legislature are going to have to renegotiate the deal Ramsey County did with the Viking because they gave away the store. The terms and conditions those yokels agreed to are an absolute disgrace.

Well, except for the development projects around the site that will involve almost guaranteed a hotel or two, and some restaurants to boot.

I'm not saying this is a great plan.. But at least there's a county serious enough to put a plan out. That's saying something considering how the state legislature has pushed off the Vikings the past 10+ years they've been lobbying for a stadium.

Because Ramsey County has the cojones to actually come forward with a deal, I hope the stadium gets built there. Besides.. Ramsey County doesn't have any other plans for that dump of a wasted space. Have you been by that site? It's not pretty. At least with a stadium and commercial development zones there it won't be an eye sore.

Bison, I could not disagree with you more. Ramsey is the most urban county in the state. 2010 Census data says that 56% of the people in Ramsey County live in the city of St. Paul. The Stadium is not going to be in St. Paul It's going to be in Arden hills. It is 16 minutes from the Metrodome to the stadium site in Arden Hills. It is 16 minutes from the Xcel to the stadium site in Arden Hills, according to Google Maps.

St. Paul is not going to capture revenue from the Arden Hills site sufficient to cover the every day purchases made by St. Paul residents. To say that this is a revenue neutral site is pure folly. It is a bad decision by Ramsey County to sponsor this thing, and it is a far larger tax than Hennepin County is paying for Target Field, has fewer events, and is in location less likely to capture any benefit to the people paying the tax.

I'm not sure that I follow your reasoning. Correct me here, you contend that it would be "revenue neutral" only if the additional revenue gained by St Paul over 30 years of Vikings games at the new stadium (the 'X-Y' quantity in my post above) is at least equal to total tax revenue generated by the half-cent sales tax on sales taking place within the city?

That makes absolutely no sense at all. Please explain.

If any resident of Ramsey County disagrees with the sales tax, they can simply and easily choose not to pay it. Don't buy something in Ramsey County.

Every time someone chooses to buy something in RC, they're voting yes for the stadium in Arden Hills. Vote with your money.

Top Bottom