New Vikings stadium... and how it might relate to Gopher game day

Schnauzer

Pretty Sure You are Wrong
Reaction score
At first glance, there doesn't seem to be any connection beyond the obvious: a new Viking stadium in the North suburbs would mean the Vikings would NOT need to use TCF Bank Stadium while a new stadium is constructed.

However, a suburban stadium with a massive tailgate parking lot would most certainly create a game day tradition that would quickly depart from the habits that developed around the Metrodome for 30 years: Arrive minutes before kickoff and depart minutes before 4th quarter clock reaches 0:00.

I have seen this "culture" arrive at TCF... I have watched people pull up to their parking spots in the shadow of the stadium minutes before kickoff and quickly depart midway through the 4th quarter of a close game, despite being in prime tailgating territory.

The Randy Moss years had a profound effect on Viking fandom. It changed the fan base from blue haired yellers instructing people to sit down, to a much younger liquored up crowd. I could see this trend entrenching further if the Vikings sit in a suburban stadium with easy tailgating.

So, with the move to KFAN (younger demographic) and a regional redescovery of tailgating: could we see a shift for the Gophers as well? Could the U finally have to consider dropping prices on the tailgate lots? Would there be changes to compete with the easy tailgating offered by the Vikings? Would some of that same youth-movement shift into the stands at TCF?

On topic: i just don't see the MN Vikings playing anywhere else in MN than MPLS. I see LA before Arden Hills
Off topic: I wonder what Minnesotan wrote Ziggy's statement. Of course he may have meant barbecuing but I think he probably meant grilling. Minnesotans always refer to grilling as barbecue. 'Come on over, i'll barbecue.' then you get there and oh boy, wieners.

On topic: i just don't see the MN Vikings playing anywhere else in MN than MPLS. I see LA before Arden Hills
Off topic: I wonder what Minnesotan wrote Ziggy's statement. Of course he may have meant barbecuing but I think he probably meant grilling. Minnesotans always refer to grilling as barbecue. 'Come on over, i'll barbecue.' then you get there and oh boy, wieners.

Everyone I know refers to grilling as grilling. You may be invited to or are hosting a bbq, but that is different.

A bbq by any other name is still a God Damned Sloppy Joe. Grilling is of wide open context.

Someone once told me people in Sodak called Sloppy joes Taverns. crazy

Someone once told me people in Sodak called Sloppy joes Taverns. crazy

Nah. Actually, many people in Iowa call them taverns (Sioux City area is the genesis), and some in SE South Dakota or SW Minnesota with roots/friends/connections in Iowa refer to them as taverns. My future sister-in-law (from South Dakota, with family roots in Iowa) brought what she called "tavern meat" to a family meal, and it was basically the same as barbecue. I had never heard the term before, and any South Dakotan I had ever met up to that point referred to them as "barbecues".

There is tailgating at the state fairgrounds with shuttle bus to and from TCF.

My fantasy for the Vikings stadium is for no deal to go through this year and for Hennepin County to sign on next year to get an OPEN AIR stadium next to Target field. It won't happen, but a guy can dream.

Away from the subject a little bit. Some people say barbecuing, some grilling, out east they say soda quite often and we perhaps say pop. When Pallin was running for office, we also heard the word snowmachines quite often and that is common I guess in Canada where as we typically say Snowmobiles. Does come off a little strange to us. But then we would to them as well.

Remember the stadium is not official yet. Has to go through the legislature and I'm questioning how the numbers may work. We may see the Vikings at TCF yet for three years.

There is tailgating at the state fairgrounds with shuttle bus to and from TCF.

My fantasy for the Vikings stadium is for no deal to go through this year and for Hennepin County to sign on next year to get an OPEN AIR stadium next to Target field. It won't happen, but a guy can dream.

The state will not allow an open air stadium. Dome/Retractable roof or bust.

At first glance, there doesn't seem to be any connection beyond the obvious: a new Viking stadium in the North suburbs would mean the Vikings would NOT need to use TCF Bank Stadium while a new stadium is constructed.

However, a suburban stadium with a massive tailgate parking lot would most certainly create a game day tradition that would quickly depart from the habits that developed around the Metrodome for 30 years: Arrive minutes before kickoff and depart minutes before 4th quarter clock reaches 0:00.

I have seen this "culture" arrive at TCF... I have watched people pull up to their parking spots in the shadow of the stadium minutes before kickoff and quickly depart midway through the 4th quarter of a close game, despite being in prime tailgating territory.

The Randy Moss years had a profound effect on Viking fandom. It changed the fan base from blue haired yellers instructing people to sit down, to a much younger liquored up crowd. I could see this trend entrenching further if the Vikings sit in a suburban stadium with easy tailgating.

So, with the move to KFAN (younger demographic) and a regional redescovery of tailgating: could we see a shift for the Gophers as well? Could the U finally have to consider dropping prices on the tailgate lots? Would there be changes to compete with the easy tailgating offered by the Vikings? Would some of that same youth-movement shift into the stands at TCF?

We'll see more tailgating at Gopher games when the U comes to its senses and encourages a better atmospher by reducing the cost of parking in the lots near the stadium. It's not any more complex than that.

We'll see more tailgating at Gopher games when the U comes to its senses and encourages a better atmospher by reducing the cost of parking in the lots near the stadium. It's not any more complex than that.

More tailgating? We are in the Ski-U-Mah lot and it is full of tailgaters. I wouldn't want anymore. It's hard enough to get around with the ones we now have. I like to have a few open spots in the lot.

Maybe once the light rail goes to the stadium they will ease up on the parking fee structure. Probably not though.

In related news, Northstar lot is now completely gone. Looks to be making way for a new science/research building or something. That was one of the fuller lots. Any ideas where those tailgaters get bumped to?

now I am hungry for a tavern sandwich and will have to settle for Manwich BOLD.

Nah. Actually, many people in Iowa call them taverns (Sioux City area is the genesis), and some in SE South Dakota or SW Minnesota with roots/friends/connections in Iowa refer to them as taverns. My future sister-in-law (from South Dakota, with family roots in Iowa) brought what she called "tavern meat" to a family meal, and it was basically the same as barbecue. I had never heard the term before, and any South Dakotan I had ever met up to that point referred to them as "barbecues".

I have a lot of friends and family from Iowa and I always hear them refer to them as maid-rite's. I haven't heard 'tavern' used before, but that doesn't mean some don't use it.

http://www.maid-rite.com/

In related news, Northstar lot is now completely gone. Looks to be making way for a new science/research building or something. That was one of the fuller lots. Any ideas where those tailgaters get bumped to?

I don't recall anyone posting news on that yet. But for all those dying to tailgate next to TCF, make sure to keep in mind that almost all the surface lots will eventually be replaced by research buildings and parking garages if the East Gateway plan is fully realized.

Doesn't change the fact that the U shouldn't try to improve the atmosphere by TCF in the meantime though.

A bbq by any other name is still a God Damned Sloppy Joe. Grilling is of wide open context.

NO, BBQ is ribs, beef brisket, Chicken.

Grilling is Steak! Maybe burgers. Sloopy joes? That's an outstate thing.

I don't recall anyone posting news on that yet. But for all those dying to tailgate next to TCF, make sure to keep in mind that almost all the surface lots will eventually be replaced by research buildings and parking garages if the East Gateway plan is fully realized.

Doesn't change the fact that the U shouldn't try to improve the atmosphere by TCF in the meantime though.

NorthStar's gone, really too bad.

The U absolutely screwed the gameday experience up, I'll blame Maturi, i always do.

If Coach Kill can get that student lot going that will help, the victory walk is a good tradition in the making. Best bet for actual college football gameday tailgating is private lots currently held hostage by the city of Minneapolis and a longshot no chance in H possibility that the U starts encouraging tailgating by reducing current prices, relaxing administration policy towards alcohol, and embracing the football program as an actual crown jewel to the entire university, rather than an annoyance that in their minds interferes with academic excellence.
President Kaler could really help, we'll see how he does.

My vote is to close off pillsbury drive to union up to the washington ramp and set up a big area for revelry behind the armory/fieldhouse area, or open up the top areas of all parking ramps to tailgating, or some other creative opportunity I'm not thinking of, it just needs to be available to the masses.

A sandwich filled with cooked ground beef mixed with some combination of tomato sauce, seasoning, and brown sugar is a SLOPPY JOE, maybe a tavern, NOT a barbecue.

When one cooks hamburgers, hot dogs, pork chops, etc. over a grill, it is GRILLING.

Barbecue is generally pork or beef ribs, or beef brisket, that is cooked very slowly (think 8-10 hours) over low heat.

And chili does NOT have beans.

I have a lot of friends and family from Iowa and I always hear them refer to them as maid-rite's. I haven't heard 'tavern' used before, but that doesn't mean some don't use it.

http://www.maid-rite.com/

Maid-Rites are not sloppy joe's or taverns or barbecues. Maid-Rites have no sauce, they are just loose ground beef on a bun. It does not look that appealing, but it's similar to a hamburger in taste. For the record, I live in Iowa and have never heard of taverns. I have heard the term babecues before, but did not know it was the same thing as a sloppy joe. I don't eat sloppy joes by any name.

A sandwich filled with cooked ground beef mixed with some combination of tomato sauce, seasoning, and brown sugar is a SLOPPY JOE, maybe a tavern, NOT a barbecue.

When one cooks hamburgers, hot dogs, pork chops, etc. over a grill, it is GRILLING.

Barbecue is generally pork or beef ribs, or beef brisket, that is cooked very slowly (think 8-10 hours) over low heat.

And chili does NOT have beans.

So when Ziggy Wilf stated people would be barbecuing at the new stadium did he mean people would be cooking meat for 8-10 hours. I suppose some might.

First glance doesn't mean affecting the Gophers. But until the "Fat lady" sings, its not over. Minneapolis will continue to condem the Arden Hills location now. They didn't do much in the beginning, but reality has hit them. This issue I believe will carry on. Dayton refuse to meet with a key legislature yesterday (from Ramsey County) and that will burn a bridge. While I like Arden Hills for tailgating and making it a more positive game day experience, in addition to making the Vikings a stronger base yet due to the Vikings Hall of Fame etc., I don't think its going to happen.

My vote is to close off pillsbury drive to union up to the washington ramp and set up a big area for revelry behind the armory/fieldhouse area, or open up the top areas of all parking ramps to tailgating, or some other creative opportunity I'm not thinking of, it just needs to be available to the masses.

Agreed. If the U would set go with a system similar to the The Grove at Ole Miss, I'd be in heaven - best road trip tailgating experience I've ever had, and it's not close. And I don't take tailgating lightly.

:cool02::cool02:

My girlfriend's family is from Vermillion, they call BBQs taverns. I had never heard of it outside of that Sioux City, SE SD area. Awfully strange term though.

I have to agree here...

Agreed. If the U would set go with a system similar to the The Grove at Ole Miss, I'd be in heaven - best road trip tailgating experience I've ever had, and it's not close. And I don't take tailgating lightly.

:cool02::cool02:

I got to go to an Egg Bowl once and it was a great atmosphere, something the "U" should really look into. We don't have the terrain available to exactly copy it, but some creative use of what we do have could really open up the game day environment.

Yes, chili can have beans. I heard someone say that adding beans to chili was some sort of east coast conspiracy, but beans in chili goes back a long way starting in Texas.

http://www.startribune.com/politics/statelocal/121816644.html

"Ted Mondale, Dayton's stadium point man, said the structure of the deal needs to be more like that of the Metrodome, creating a state "rec room" that would be publicly owned and controlled."

I know this is a waste of my time, but I hope beyond hope that Wilf reads this and says "then to hell with the state of Minnesota's money, I want a VIKINGS stadium!"

The easiest way to do this would be for Wilf and Ramsey county to build an open air stadium on the ammo plant site. That's the only way to get the cost down low enough to have a chance. And then Wilf will get what he really wants: a real NFL stadium, open air like it should be. The cherry on top: you'll then force the state to upgrade the roads anyway after the stadium is opened.

Let the state have their rec room: the Metrodome. Absolutely no reason that facility can't be viable for high school football, college football, college baseball, moster trucks, etc. for many years to come with a brand new roof.

http://www.startribune.com/politics/statelocal/121816644.html

"Ted Mondale, Dayton's stadium point man, said the structure of the deal needs to be more like that of the Metrodome, creating a state "rec room" that would be publicly owned and controlled."

I know this is a waste of my time, but I hope beyond hope that Wilf reads this and says "then to hell with the state of Minnesota's money, I want a VIKINGS stadium!"

The easiest way to do this would be for Wilf and Ramsey county to build an open air stadium on the ammo plant site. That's the only way to get the cost down low enough to have a chance. And then Wilf will get what he really wants: a real NFL stadium, open air like it should be. The cherry on top: you'll then force the state to upgrade the roads anyway after the stadium is opened.

Let the state have their rec room: the Metrodome. Absolutely no reason that facility can't be viable for high school football, college football, college baseball, moster trucks, etc. for many years to come with a brand new roof.

Taverns is definitely a Sioux City/SE SE phenomenon. North of Union County they are referred to as "barbecues" as do those of us in out state Minnesota. Now I have a friend from north central Iowa who refers to them as maid-rites, whether they are sauced up or not.

An open air stadium for the Vikings is as ridiculous of idea as is a retractable roof. Even in the Vikings hay day back when folks new a little discomfort, the Vikings didn't sell out a playoff game. A retractable roof (moon roof) does nothing to enhance a game experience save throw odd shadows throughout the stadium. Fix the dammed roof and save some money on this ridiculously priced deal.

Taverns is definitely a Sioux City/SE SE phenomenon. North of Union County they are referred to as "barbecues" as do those of us in out state Minnesota. Now I have a friend from north central Iowa who refers to them as maid-rites, whether they are sauced up or not.

An open air stadium for the Vikings is as ridiculous of idea as is a retractable roof. Even in the Vikings hay day back when folks new a little discomfort, the Vikings didn't sell out a playoff game. A retractable roof (moon roof) does nothing to enhance a game experience save throw odd shadows throughout the stadium. Fix the dammed roof and save some money on this ridiculously priced deal.

If your main opposition to an open air stadium is just the worry that it might not sell out, then you might as well get on the open-air bandwagon now. :D

Trying to compare the NFL and the Vikings now to the NFL and Vikings when they last played in an open air stadium is not even comparing an apple to another piece of fruit. More like comparing an apple to a rock, I'd say.

If Green Bay can do it, Vikings could do it in Arden Hills.

Otherwise, if your main concern is money then it's not the open-air aspect that you oppose.

Final Four - $200 million in revenue
Super Bowl - $400 million in revenue
Increase in liquor sales due to tailgating
Construction jobs for the next 5 years
Possible Olympic Bid - $2 Billion in revenue
Millions of dollars in state income tax from the players

Ya, this Stadium is a TERRIBLE idea.

Top Bottom