New Vikings stadium... and how it might relate to Gopher game day

Still pissed "my" thread took a 180 into non-gopher related material... and just kept on going.

Let's steer it back. What will be more beneficial to the Gophers?:

-A new Vikings stadium re-introducing average Minnesota football fans to tail-gating and (sometimes) outdoor football which will translate into more excitment for Gopher football at TCF on Saturdays?

-The Vikings moving to LA, which will cause the entire MN sports scene to revert to 1960 and cause Gopher football to be beloved by all? :rolleyes:

I'd say neither will happen to a noticable degree.

Certainly it does. These services are also paid for by Ramsey County property taxes, which all St. Paul property owners pay.

The county will bring in a lot of money from the half-cent sales tax because of the stadium being in the county. Certainly more than the money the county will spend to build the stadium.

So there you go. St Paul residents will benefit from the extra money the county has to provide services to the city. And to top it off, every single resident of the city can gain that benefit without having to pay the tax themselves. Sounds like a win-win to me. :D

Howeda7 - I would state the central question a little differently.

If the Vikes left MN, would FB fans flock to follow the Gophers?

My gut says the answer is: probably not. Yes, there are people who are
die-hard fans of both NFL and college FB, but my sense is that most
people tend to favor one style of game or the other.

Yes, some of the Vikes fans may decide to pay more attention to the Gophs, but
other would remain NFL fans, and stay home or go to a sports bar to watch
the Vikes in their new home, or 'adopt' another team to follow.

I would guess that the Gophs might pick up a small percentage of the Vikes
fan base - but that fan base is so wide-spread, that I question whether
many of them would attend games in person at the Bank.

So, bottom line, I don't think a new Vikes stadium would have much impact
positive or negative on the Gophers program.

Hey

If I thought the sales tax would run a Surplus, I might be with ya.

I didn't know about the car sales tax, apologies. I've always paid sales tax on cars, but never had it itemized.

As for tailgating and the Vikings leaving, I suppose we could become like LA, where USC and UCLA are a big deal. LA used to have two NFL teams.

If I thought the sales tax would run a Surplus, I might be with ya.

I didn't know about the car sales tax, apologies. I've always paid sales tax on cars, but never had it itemized.

As for tailgating and the Vikings leaving, I suppose we could become like LA, where USC and UCLA are a big deal. LA used to have two NFL teams.

Sometimes you have to spend money to make money.

Drawing that many people into the county, 8 times a year (more if other events are held) for 30 years will create a significant surplus that will benefit everyone in the county. There's no doubt about that.

Source? Do have some type of analysis to back this, or is this really just a hunch based on nothing?

If the stadium generates 10 million additional (non-exempt) sales transactions in the county per year, that's $50,000 extra dollars per year that the county has to spend on services for the residents of the county. That's significant.

Sometimes you have to spend money to make money.

Drawing that many people into the county, 8 times a year (more if other events are held) for 30 years will create a significant surplus that will benefit everyone in the county. There's no doubt about that.

If the stadium generates 10 million additional (non-exempt) sales transactions in the county per year, that's $50,000 extra dollars per year that the county has to spend on services for the residents of the county. That's significant.

Not sure where you came up with $50,000 per year, but using that number, here we go:

$50,000 per year represents 0.046% of the Anoka county revenues for 2011 (link) (Page 37, total revenues). $50,000 x 30 years inflated by 3% (rate of inflation as measured by CPI which runs at 3% since 1913) would net $ 2,378,770 for the county. The outlay of Anoka county for the stadium is believed to be $240MM. If you take $240MM and purchase a 30 year T-Bill, today with a yield of 4.38%, that investment would net the county $ 14,347,497,735, or a difference of $14,105,118,964 ($240MM*(1+4.38% (for 30 years)-$240MM).

So if you're a resident of Anoka county, what would you want them to do? There is a very good chance that I'm looking at this math problem the wrong way, but I'm sure that there will be people on this board to readjust my thinking.

Hypothetically, if an NFL team plopped down in Lincoln, NE - would it be bad for the Nebraska Football? I think the obvious answer is yes. If the Vikings left it would be good for Gopher football and interest.

Not so sure the affect of a new Viking Stadium on Gopher Football, but the stronger the NFL team, the tougher it will be for the Major College team in the area unless they are winning big time

Not sure where you came up with $50,000 per year, but using that number, here we go:

$50,000 per year represents 0.046% of the Anoka county revenues for 2011 (link) (Page 37, total revenues). $50,000 x 30 years inflated by 3% (rate of inflation as measured by CPI which runs at 3% since 1913) would net $ 2,378,770 for the county. The outlay of Anoka county for the stadium is believed to be $240MM. If you take $240MM and purchase a 30 year T-Bill, today with a yield of 4.38%, that investment would net the county $ 14,347,497,735, or a difference of $14,105,118,964 ($240MM*(1+4.38% (for 30 years)-$240MM).

So if you're a resident of Anoka county, what would you want them to do? There is a very good chance that I'm looking at this math problem the wrong way, but I'm sure that there will be people on this board to readjust my thinking.

One million transactions, each with a half cent tax added on generates $50,000 in new tax revenue.

I was saying that if you have two parallel universes, one in which the stadium is built in Arden Hills and one in which it is not, and the one with the stadium results in one million extra transactions taking place in the county per year above those in the non-stadium universe - that's an extra $50,000 that the county has to spend on services for the people in the county. That's all I was trying to say.

Your example is irrelevant because the county will never raise $350 million in new tax revenue just to invest it for 30 years. That's not why we have taxes.

Anyway, it seems that with the state shutdown the Vikings are deathly afraid to announce the new deal until everything is fixed with the state government. Hopefully the stadium deal will be announced shortly after the budget deal is announced.

I think this one is done and in the books - just waiting...

Hypothetically, if an NFL team plopped down in Lincoln, NE - would it be bad for the Nebraska Football? I think the obvious answer is yes. If the Vikings left it would be good for Gopher football and interest.

Not so sure the affect of a new Viking Stadium on Gopher Football, but the stronger the NFL team, the tougher it will be for the Major College team in the area unless they are winning big time

Here is something I can definitely disagree with.

If the Chiefs moved to Omaha, there would be no change in the financial success of Nebraska football. They would continue to sell every seat of every game. The fans love it too much and they keep buying, win or lose. If the team loses too much, then the coaching staff is fired and they start over.

Top Bottom