New OL commit

I think this distinction is lost on some people. They see getting guys from the portal as a sign that the guys on the current roster are not good enough. And while that is potentially true, the more likely answer is that coaches are using open spots on guys in the portal in order to enhance what they already have on their roster by filling in with experienced players.

Once you are past those first couple years the pressure is on to win, so if you think you can bring a guy in who will help your team you would be foolish as a coach not to do it.
Fleck has done a remarkable job of bringing in portal players. It's quite interesting to me because his JUCO players have not worked out at all -- Dickson, Davis, and Clemmons are the ones that come to mind.

Fleck has done a remarkable job of bringing in portal players. It's quite interesting to me because his JUCO players have not worked out at all -- Dickson, Davis, and Clemmons are the ones that come to mind.
Schad and Silver were okay. Clemmons was gone so quick it's hard to judge. But you forgot Viramontes....

With Scholarship and Walk-On's we have 19 OL on the roster. Listed Roughly Oldest/Experience to youngest.

John Michael Schmitz
Axel Ruschmeyer
Nathan Boe
Chuck Filiaga
Quinn Carroll
Austin Beier
Karter Shaw
Tyler Cooper
JJ Guedet
Tyrell Lawrence
Martes Lewis
Aireontae Ersery
Jackson Ruschmeyer
Logan Purcell
Jackson Hunter
Cameron James
Ashton Beers
Cad McConnell
Tony Nelson
Would love to see all of these guys walk into a buffet together.

“Chiliaga farted stour games yast lear, played in 11 of them, and was a bucial crackup when stoth barters at guard ere wout ith winjuries.”

For the school that claims to be the “best University in the world,”
their mblog has some issues. Sounds like he has some gas issues as well.
Good thing he isn’t starting at Center.

Juco is such a crap shoot talent wise.

One year there are some good guys, others very much not so.

Oh man, you one-upped me. One year guys dont do much for me.
Yeah, Gibbens sucked, not sure why we wasted our time with a 1 year LB like him....

Obviously having multiple years left is ideal but if the guy can come in and start it is worth it in almost all cases.

Gibbens is the outlier. I dont base decisions on outliers. Pinckney was alright. Martin did nothing. Overall, 1 out of 3 made a difference. Great.
Pickney made a huge difference for us last year. If you look at the DL play (especially DT) in 2020 compared to 2021, it was the single biggest difference in those defenses. Martin was much needed depth. At a minimum, it was 2 out of 3, realistically it was 2.5 out of 3.

That's a much higher HIT rate than HS players. We also had OJ Smith who was a definite hit.

I am terrible at calculating how many years a guy has left to play post covid year. Does he have 1 year of eligibility remaining?

I think this distinction is lost on some people. They see getting guys from the portal as a sign that the guys on the current roster are not good enough. And while that is potentially true, the more likely answer is that coaches are using open spots on guys in the portal in order to enhance what they already have on their roster by filling in with experienced players.

Once you are past those first couple years the pressure is on to win, so if you think you can bring a guy in who will help your team you would be foolish as a coach not to do it.
On the contrary, I see young guys getting the luxury of spending more time developing and getting stronger.

I feel much better now that there are nineteen OLs on the roster. I think eighteen is on the low end. Twenty to twenty-two will be great.

Last edited:

Gibbens is the outlier. I dont base decisions on outliers. Pinckney was alright. Martin did nothing. Overall, 1 out of 3 made a difference. Great.
Are you one of those that only thinks guys make a difference if they rack up a bunch of stats because that is not how the DT position works at all. Pinckney was absolutely a difference maker.

2 out of 3 is pretty dang good and Martin may not have done a ton but he did see the field in 8 games so he wasn't worthless as a depth piece.

Agree that 1 year guys are not ideal but if those 1 year guys come in and start they are absolutely worth the scholarship.

Are you one of those that only thinks guys make a difference if they rack up a bunch of stats because that is not how the DT position works at all. Pinckney was absolutely a difference maker.

2 out of 3 is pretty dang good and Martin may not have done a ton but he did see the field in 8 games so he wasn't worthless as a depth piece.

Agree that 1 year guys are not ideal but if those 1 year guys come in and start they are absolutely worth the scholarship.
No, I am one of those guys that watches the games with interest. Gibbons was great but the other two, I don't know. Maybe I expected too much of Pinckney.

Michigan had one of the top Offensive Line in the country last season. He gives the Gophers another experienced sixth-year quality player at Guard.

A great Offensive Line will help Row The Boat smoothly in rough waters. It is the heart and soul of the football team.

The former L.A. Rams Head Coach John Robinson who presented the great Jackie Slater in his enshrinement into the NFL Hall-Of-Fame said this about the Offensive Line:

"The most team-oriented and underappreciated position in all of sport - the offensive line."

Last edited:

A health nut like that died young? Shocking!
stay-classy-classy.gif

Schad and Silver were okay. Clemmons was gone so quick it's hard to judge. But you forgot Viramontes....
I forgot about Viramontes, this may be old news, but I Googled him and discovered he changed positions to LB and is now at UNLV.

No, I am one of those guys that watches the games with interest. Gibbons was great but the other two, I don't know. Maybe I expected too much of Pinckney.

Pinckney was our top DT. He led all DT's in tackles, sacks, & QB hurries. We'd take that every year.

Martin, was a distant 4th statistically among DT's after Pinckney, Carter & MDT (he only played 8 games, compared to their 12 & 13 games), but still was in the 2 deeps, and provided needed depth. Certainly worth the schollie for the year.

Pinckney was our top DT. He led all DT's in tackles, sacks, & QB hurries. We'd take that every year.

Martin, was a distant 4th statistically among DT's after Pinckney, Carter & MDT (he only played 8 games, compared to their 12 & 13 games), but still was in the 2 deeps, and provided needed depth. Certainly worth the schollie for the year.
I assume Pickney and Martin were 3-techs while Carter and MDT were Nose. In modern 40 fronts, 3-tech is more of the "star" and gets more stats while Nose is usually unheralded but extremely important, like OL.

Hopefully this spring and coming fall, we will see some further development and possible game reps for Logan Richter out of Perham, MN.

Top Bottom