NEW MUSIC

:love::love::love::love::love:

Failure put out a new EP, 'Wild Type Droid', over the weekend. Despite really good albums released by Royal Blood, Chevelle, Chvrches, and Wolf Alice.....this is probably my album of the year. Short at 39 minutes and only ten songs.....but great all the way through. 'Half Moon' is absolutely wonderful. 'Water with Hands', 'Headstand', 'Bring Back the Sound', and 'Submarines' are all standouts as well. Not a filler track on the album.

Follow up on Failure's 'Wild Type Droid'. After repeated listen throughs....it is absolutely my album of the year.....and is destined to join 'Fantastic Planet' as one of my favorite albums of all time. It's simply one of the best albums to come out in years.

For anyone who is a fan of 90's rock....I came across a band name Superbloom recently. Released their debut 'Pollen' this year. The influence of grunge and alt rock superhits.....are obvious. I personally don't see this as a ripoff.....more like a tribute with the direct comparisons I could hear. Sounds like an album that would have crushed 25 years ago. That's a compliment. Very fun album!

Sounds like a more modern....heavier Stone Temple Pilots. Bridge has a riff that is basically straight out of 'Hey Johnny Park' by the Foo Fighters.

Very Green Day, Blink 182, Sum 41ish

Heavy shades of 'Sliver' and 'Polly' - Nirvana

'Whatever' is a ton of Nirvana's 'Nevermind' all rolled together. Even the name suggests a tribute.

Apologies: this is far from new...but it's new to me. Just discovered Waxahatchee and their beautiful 2020 release Saint Cloud recently. Better late than never.

It's a year old now, but picked Jon Batiste's newest album a couple weeks ago. Lyrics are a little hokey but the music is solid, mixing various genres. Here's the title track.

The other night I dreamt I heard a new song by The Head and the Heart. Then I realized I actually heard this song, maybe half asleep with the radio on?

Angel Olsen with a new song and video this week. It was some of you all here that got me listening to her. Love the albums My Woman and Burn Your Fire for No Witness. Wasn't as excited by the last one outside the opening track Lark, which is a stunner. I'll be curious to see how the rest of this album sounds.

I've said it before, and I'll say it some more: the Mid West Music Fest--best music festival or best possible music festival? YOU decide!

When I was there (Winona) in 2019, we happened to catch a novelty group called Swashbuckler in a small venue; I think it was at Treedome recording studio. The band is right there from Winona, and they really charmed my socks off. Quirky...I guess I'd call it Sci-Fi Psychedelia. I was ready to buy their recording(s)...until I found out they really didn't have any. They had no presence on the Internet anywhere. They basically didn't exist in any meaningful way.

The next morning, my friends and I grabbed a bite at the coffee shop before skipping town, and who was our busboy? You guessed it, the bass player from Swashbuckler. I hadn't heard hide nor hair of them ever since then, and I just assumed they'd quit and disbanded--sad, because I thought they had some really good music that I assumed had been lost to civilization.

So, the lineup for this year's fest came out a couple months ago, and what do you know: there was Swashbuckler! And if that wasn't good enough, they released a full-length album of psychedelic greatness on March 11th! A great time to be alive. Get a load of Swashbucker, ladies and gentlemen. Support the band; buy their music.

P.S. The album was co-produced by Dante Degrazia of Karate Chop, Silence.

Last edited:

I've said it before, and I'll say it some more: the Mid West Music Fest--best music festival or best possible music festival? YOU decide!

When I was there (Winona) in 2019, we happened to catch a novelty group called Swashbuckler in a small venue; I think it was at Treedome recording studio. The band is right there from Winona, and they really charmed my socks off. Quirky...I guess I'd call it Sci-Fi Psychadelia. I was ready to buy their recording(s)...until I found out they really didn't have any. They had no presence on the Internet anywhere. They basically didn't exist in any meaningful way.

The next morning, my friends and I grabbed a bite at the coffee shop before skipping town, and who was our busboy? You guessed it, the bass player from Swashbuckler. I hadn't heard hide nor hair of them ever since then, and I just assumed they'd quit and disbanded--sad, because I thought they had some really good music that I assumed had been lost to civilization.

So, the lineup for this year's fest came out a couple months ago, and what do you know: there was Swashbuckler! And if that wasn't good enough, they released a full-length album of psychadelic greatness on March 11th! A great time to be alive. Get a load of Swashbucker, ladies and gentlemen. Support the band; buy their music.

P.S. The album was co-produced by Dante Degrazia of Karate Chop, Silence.
Update: they just released the schedule. You can catch Swashbuckler at Island City Brewing at 3:45 on Saturday the 30th and then slide over to the levee to see Durry at 5. You're welcome.

I just stumbled upon this song, having never heard of Bleachers. Came out last year. Some great nostalgic synth pop, very catchy.

Angel Olsen with a new song and video this week. It was some of you all here that got me listening to her. Love the albums My Woman and Burn Your Fire for No Witness. Wasn't as excited by the last one outside the opening track Lark, which is a stunner. I'll be curious to see how the rest of this album sounds.

I will take credit for this. She is one of my favorites.

Don't know if I actually had any musical expectations for the surviving members of Rush but definitely did not expect Alex Lifeson to put out an album of ambiet dream pop. This seems so far out of left field I don't even feel like I can form an opinion.

Don't know if I actually had any musical expectations for the surviving members of Rush but definitely did not expect Alex Lifeson to put out an album of ambiet dream pop. This seems so far out of left field I don't even feel like I can form an opinion.
I like this.

Envy of None isn't entirely apt; Ted likes them.

If you like Bob Wills and Western Swing, the new Brennen Leigh album is for you. Featuring Asleep at the Wheel.

Today Wilco announced May 27 as the date for their new release Cruel Country.

Here's Falling Apart (Right Now).

Stopped by the Electric Fetus the other day to get the excellent new Angel Olsen album. While there I found The Drive by Truckers new album. I'm a big fan so I'm not sure why I hadn't heard about it. Really liking it so far. Less direct politics and more storytelling about their past, including this song about touring that includes multiple references to The Replacements.

Last edited:

Stopped by the Electric Fetus the other day to get the excellent new Angel Olsen album. While there I found The Drive by Truckers new album. I'm a big fan so I'm not sure why I hadn't heard about it. Really liking it so far. Less direct politics and more storytelling about their past, including this song about touring that includes multiple references to The Replacements.

OK, so I am not a Taylor Swift fan. I liked some of her earlier Country songs, (worked at a Country radio station, so couldn't avoid hearing them)

anyway, she releases a new album. article about it in the Strib, with a link to the music video for her first single off the album. apparently the theme of the album is self-doubt and addressing your problems, or some such thing.

(I'm a tech klutz, so I don't know how to post a link to the video here....)

anyway, partway through the song, the video turns into a comedy skit where - I'm not making this up - it's at her funeral and her kids are fighting over the estate. and it's supposed to be funny - I think.

I sat there slack-jawed staring at the screen in disbelief. it was like a bad SNL skit - and I mean the years when SNL was REALLY bad.

There is a lot to unpack in this post. My first question is: what is Lawyers, Guns and Money? The post makes it sound like a physical destination rather than just Nokomis' favorite singalong song.

There is a lot to unpack in this post. My first question is: what is Lawyers, Guns and Money? The post makes it sound like a physical destination rather than just Nokomis' favorite singalong song.
As much as I like the Buzzcocks shirt, I do have to say holding a Miller Lite really has me questioning this persons credibility or general taste, in anything.

Having said that, I do need to check out the Drive By Truckers album.

Apologies: this is far from new...but it's new to me. Just discovered Waxahatchee and their beautiful 2020 release Saint Cloud recently. Better late than never.

Not sure if you've listened to the Plains record yet, but it's Katie Crutchfield (Waxahatchee) and Jess Williamson. Similar vibe to "Saint Cloud". Give it a listen!

Part 2 of The Smashing Pumpkins ATUM album came out this past week. Pulls back a bit on the confounding synth rock turn that Corgan has adopted, but it doesn't appear to be going anywhere. Even pretty straight forward rock songs like 'Empire' have that extra layer of gloss (backing vocals) that few people seem to like. That said....Part 2 is decent. Best set of songs they've put out since 'Monuments to an Elegy' in 2014, imo.

Picked up the new Trombone Shorty album, Lifted (2022). FANTASTIC!! Perfect mix of funk, rock, and second line.

Top Bottom