New commitment! Coleman Bryson!!!

Can anyone tell where this kid is from? Just curious. Thanks in advance.
From public info, Bryson is from Waynesville NC, which is west of Asheville. He went to Tuscola HS there. He transferred to Rabun Gap-Nacoochee for his junior year. Rabun Gap is a pretty expensive prep {day ($22k) and boarding ($57k)—lots of scholarship $$} school in the hills of rural north Georgia. Graduating classes typically achieve 100% admission to college. I suspect it is kind of like Shattuck-St. Mary’s only in a truly rural setting—and perhaps with football predominating instead of hockey. 4.25 GPA; makes sense he will be seeing some Ivy offers. This is a really interesting commit. If his teammate TE comes along, I suspect neither would be phased by boarding, academics or weather.

Last edited:

Paul Krause, never saw a "hit" he wanted to make but he shagged footballs.
tenor.gif

From public info, Bryson is from Waynesville NC, which is west of Asheville. He went to Tuscola HS there. He transferred to Rabun Gap-Nacoochee for his junior year. Rabun Gap is a pretty expensive prep {day ($22k) and boarding ($57k)—lots of scholarship $$} school in the hills of rural north Georgia. Graduating classes typically achieve 100% admission to college. I suspect it is kind of like Shattuck-St. Mary’s only in a truly rural setting—and perhaps with football predominating instead of hockey. 4.25 GPA; makes sense he will be seeing some Ivy offers. This is a really interesting commit. If his teammate TE comes along, I suspect neither would be phased by boarding, academics or weather.
I totally forgot about Shattuck. I had a couple friends go there.

He looks like a great athlete, he could grow into a LB too. Nice addition.

The film is good. He's a Swiss Army knife--versatile. I still like the idea of a 6'3" safety with hands and speed who likes to lay the lumber.

Very interesting article. Recent coach hire at Rabun Gap, Sturdivant, played at SMU, coached pro in Germany and ... with Chris Weinke started the football program at IMG. Lots of connections here. https://www.gwinnettdailypost.com/tncms/asset/editorial/5d2711a2-6de6-11ea-ba8f-df0922514cea/
Joe Sturdivant is a friend of mine. I coached him professionally overseas in Austria and then we coached together at a private school in Dallas. Very sharp, intense, football focused guy. Can't think of too many better guys to learn the safety position from.

A two-fer would be nice. PJ Fleck pulled it off at IMG Academy. I hope he can grab them both
I mean ... it was a three-fer ... and that third guy had something to do with the other two. ;)

Pump the brakes boys, some of the early commits in the past haven't materialized.
Seriously? Everyone on this board knows this, and there is no reason to temper enthusiasm about this kid without a direct reason for it.

There is video (saw on Twitter) of Bryson clearing 6'5" in the High Jump in a HS track meet.

Which shows athleticism, flexibility, body control and ability to generate speed on the approach and translate to lift on the jump. In other words, the dude's got skills. I like kids that take part in track. a lot of the training for track translates well to other sports.

There is video (saw on Twitter) of Bryson clearing 6'5" in the High Jump in a HS track meet.

Which shows athleticism, flexibility, body control and ability to generate speed on the approach and translate to lift on the jump. In other words, the dude's got skills. I like kids that take part in track. a lot of the training for track translates well to other sports.

Agree with the take on track. Heck, playing multiple sports is a good thing in general that is getting lost unfortunately with the specialization that is happening these days.

There is such a push to pick one sport and focus on it 100%. Lot of talk in the baseball circles about how it is wearing out kids arms at a much earlier age because as opposed to using the off season to play something else they are pitching/throwing year round.

Still plenty of multi-sport athletes out there but it is becoming less and less common as parents go nuts trying to push their player to be the next great whatever as opposed to letting them do a bunch of different sports.

Minnesota safety commit Coleman Bryson is ready for his official visit​

"Track season went really well for me this spring," 2022 Georgia safety and Minnesota commit Bryson Coleman said to GopherIllustrated. "I ended up winning state in the high jump with a 6'6" jump, and then I was a part of the 4x100m first place team as well. So I'm really excited about that. I also haven't been talking with any other schools besides Minnesota. My focus has strictly been on the Gophers, so I don't really entertain any other schools."

He got some hops...

Minnesota safety commit Coleman Bryson is ready for his official visit​

"Track season went really well for me this spring," 2022 Georgia safety and Minnesota commit Bryson Coleman said to GopherIllustrated. "I ended up winning state in the high jump with a 6'6" jump, and then I was a part of the 4x100m first place team as well. So I'm really excited about that. I also haven't been talking with any other schools besides Minnesota. My focus has strictly been on the Gophers, so I don't really entertain any other schools."

He got some hops...
Georgia has been a good state for us in recent years and this kid looks like he has the makings of another good one. 4x100 requires great speed and acceleration and clearing 6'6" in the high jump is pretty impressive as well.

Obviously nothing guaranteed until kids sign but love that he seems singularly focused on being a Gopher and isn't listening to other schools.

Top Bottom