New commit?!

Per GopherIllustrated.com it's 3* LB, Brent Singleton (Formerly a South Carolina commit) from Florida who visited in November.

Good addition

Good add. I really felt like we need to add at least one if not two LB recruits in this class. It also takes some of the sting off of losing Gainer to MSU.

6'0" and 190 pounds

dam that seems awful small doesnt it?.....like all the recruits he can run though

He does seem small for a Linebacker. Is he fast enough for DB? I guess if Spurrier wanted him he can't be all bad. Welcome aboard.

Some additions.

He is a 5.6 3* by Rivals.
ESPN has him rated as a 77.
Scouts has him as a 3*.

He is small but some think he will be a safety other think he is still growing and should gain 25 pounds pretty easily. I think this is a kid with talent that will red shirt and will be a gu you look at in 2 years as a guy developing into a good player. ESPN has him rated as good as Gainer so its a pretty good comparison.

6'0" and 190 pounds

dam that seems awful small doesnt it?.....like all the recruits he can run though

Guys can easily put on 20-30 pounds and sometimes even more over a redshirt season.

Someone on the other board pointed out he is ranked in the EXACT same spot (#77) as a linebacker we recruited last year named Spencer Reeves.

Brent Singleton | OLB Hometown: Plantation, FL
American Heritage High School
Position rank: OLB # 59
Ht: 6'0" Wt: 194
Last Updated:12/20/2008 Data provided by Scouts, Inc.

Scouts Grade

Evaluation

Singleton currently lacks great size measurables and is a bit raw fundamentally but he could possesses some of the better upside in this outside linebacker class. He looks much taller on film with his long, rangy, high-cut frame. Appears to still have another few inches of growth left and at least 25-pounds of bulk on his lean frame when he hits a college weight-training program. For a kid with an elongated lower-body he breaks down very well in space as a tackler and shows good pop from his hips. Not overly sudden out of his stance but he utilizes his long stride tracking plays down sideline-to-sideline flashing great acceleration, range and closing speed. Covers a ton of ground with stride and long body. Shows good hip-fluidity in coverage and should be able to pattern match quicker college slots in zone schemes with some polish. However, at times, he does tend to overrun the play when chasing laterally and lacks sharp change-of-direction skill and great bend; better attacking vertically than laterally. Gets over trash quickly but needs to watch leverage as he can open up his whole body to the cutoff. Lack of sink in his hips often hinders his transitional quickness as well. He is better when set loose to attack than reading reacting from normal LB depth; needs to refine his diagnosing skills. With that said, Singleton has a boat load of natural talent and a ton of physical development left. A potential sleeper on the recruiting trail and would make an ideal Bandit/Rover back at the college level.

The Next Simoni Lawrence/Keanon Cooper LB

Brewster likes to have at least one LB that can run and cover like a safety. The current example is Simoni Lawrence. Keanon "King Cooper" was recruited to fill a similar position and Singleton is another LB in the same mold. With the prevalency of the spread offense today teams need linebackers that can cover the field and are good in coverage. Having players that fit that mold allows them to play a regular 4-3 or 3-4 front instead of being forced in to nickel D by the spread. Expect Singleton redshirt and put on 20-25 pounds in the next year and to eventually get up to 225 lbs to 235 lbs.

I think Singleton is a great get for the program. First of all, he is an athlete at a position we have long needed athleticism. He will provide depth at a position we have had very little depth and still do. A position where we have played players that are not only nicked but severely injured and some that never really recovered from injury. Players that had no right to be on the field due to their physical condition. Another part of that is few kids right out of HS have bodies ready for college football and we have played many of them too early. A year of S&C, learning the playbook, and adjusting to the D1 speed of the game doesn't hurt any of them before seeing the field. He was an early commit for the old ball coach. To me, that says enough alone. I look forward to watching his development and how Roof uses him. That said, I wouldn't be surprised to see him get PT this fall on ST.

This commit can't be true. Everyone knows that Punky is too classy to continue to recruit kids that have committed elsewhere.

This commit can't be true. Everyone knows that Punky is too classy to continue to recruit kids that have committed elsewhere.

If a kid says leave me alone, he leaves them alone.

Sometimes they come begging....PLEASE GET ME OUT OF MADISON!!!

Top Bottom