Nebraska's state AG threatens Big Ten -- time to kick Nebraska out !!

Who needs the other more in this scenario? Can the B1G survive without little red? I'm going to guess, yes.

Can little red survive without the B1G? Perhaps, but what conference would take them in after the state went all LA Law with the B1G?

I'm guessing the B1G would have an easier time replacing little red than vice versa.

Louisville is less than mediocre academically and has just put a major scandal in the athletic program behind them.
The U of KY is the major player there including Louisville. I do not see much TV revenue there.
IA ST adds nothing in TV revenue because the BTN is already there and adds nothing in academics.
MD and Rutgers added a great deal of TV revenue.
ND has a sweet deal with NBC, is more entitled with more hubris than NE. Adding them would come with more aggravation than the Bug Eaters. But it is a waste of time to think or talk about it for they will remain independent and pretend they are a 'national' not a conference team.
NE FB players are suing to get documents. So what will they do with them? Piss and moan some more for they have not one vote when the presidents meet.
The NE AG is wants the publicity for when he runs again. If the BIG is not a legal, non profit in NE as he claims than logically the U of NE cannot be a member of the BIG.

Nebraska is free to leave at any time. They can go tomorrow!

The Big Ten should look to move south for another team. Missouri would be good. Vanderbilt would be good.

Never been to Columbia, but liked idea of Missouri when B10 was expanding, and still do. Colorado also would have been a better choice, IMO. I hope BTN makes serious coin on NY viewership, because from a fan perspective they had absolutely nothing.

Louisville is less than mediocre academically and has just put a major scandal in the athletic program behind them.
The U of KY is the major player there including Louisville. I do not see much TV revenue there.
IA ST adds nothing in TV revenue because the BTN is already there and adds nothing in academics.
MD and Rutgers added a great deal of TV revenue.
ND has a sweet deal with NBC, is more entitled with more hubris than NE. Adding them would come with more aggravation than the Bug Eaters. But it is a waste of time to think or talk about it for they will remain independent and pretend they are a 'national' not a conference team.
NE FB players are suing to get documents. So what will they do with them? Piss and moan some more for they have not one vote when the presidents meet.
The NE AG is wants the publicity for when he runs again. If the BIG is not a legal, non profit in NE as he claims than logically the U of NE cannot be a member of the BIG.

Well, the ACC was happy to take Louisville, no? They have a strong (previously outstanding) medical school, which NE does not. Anyhow, its not worth the mental exercise. Unfortunately Nebraska is probably not going anywhere.

The only way I could ever imagine Neb leaving would be if somehow there was a lot of conference chaos.... somehow the Big 8 reformed and Neb was so bad they felt they needed to make a change and could go to the Big 8, or something like the Big 8.

In that case we should totally pickup Texas, it doesn't make sense, but it would be fun I think.

The way Iowa State and Kansas State opened their seasons, Nebraska would fit right back into the Big12 and maybe even be competitive.
So true! People actually think iowa state brings anything to the table in football? They have been terrible for years! Iowa st is good in basketball, but are they so much better than Nebraska?

I’d prefer to keep Nebraska. It’s a close drive and my sister in law has season tickets which she gives me for gopher games.

Plus they always give us topics for discussion. Life would be a lot more boring without Nebraska drama.

Well, the ACC was happy to take Louisville, no? They have a strong (previously outstanding) medical school, which NE does not. Anyhow, its not worth the mental exercise. Unfortunately Nebraska is probably not going anywhere.
I do not know how you decided Louisville had an outstanding school of medicine and is strong right now. That flies in the face of reality.
They rank 78th of about 90 some medical schools in research.
Now Pittsburgh would be a far, far better choice in academics including medicine and possible BTN revenue. Its metro area has staged a high tech and medical recovery after the steel industry hit bottom.

Conference expansion is about viewership and the corresponding TV advertising revenue. The discussions above, about adding IA State in lieu of NE are ridiculous. If the B1G were to expand, it would be based on incremental viewership, and then pared down based on academic quality fit.

Conference expansion is about viewership and the corresponding TV advertising revenue. The discussions above, about adding IA State in lieu of NE are ridiculous. If the B1G were to expand, it would be based on incremental viewership, and then pared down based on academic quality fit.

If the past is any indication of the future you are right on the mark, Rutgers and Maryland fit those requirements to a T.

https://journalstar.com/sports/husk...cle_ddd90b15-c841-5596-aad2-84cbf9d9f84c.html

Nebraska attorney general notifies Big Ten that it appears to be out of compliance with state nonprofit act
The office of Doug Peterson on Friday issued a letter to the Big Ten notifying Commissioner Kevin Warren that the conference appears to be out of compliance with the Nebraska Nonprofit Corporation Act. According to a news release from Peterson's office, the attorney general is responsible for overseeing compliance with the act by nonprofits operating in the state.

Peterson has instructed Big Ten officials to provide documents and records to determine if they've operated in compliance with Nebraska law and their own governing documents.

"In order to receive the advantages to operate as a nonprofit organization in Nebraska, it is imperative that the organization operate with complete transparency regarding its decision-making process," Peterson said in the news release. "Nebraskans expect transparency from nonprofits in this state, and the Big Ten Conference is no exception."
what is the threat?

Happy ... or desperate? Arguably, Louisville was the best football program available east of the Mississippi, at the time, and the football schools (Clemson, FSU) demanded another strong football team vs another former Big East bball team (UConn).

Academically an excellent fit, geography a little weird.... but so are Rutgers and Maryland.
It's not a hard rule (I would bet), but the conference has never added a team from a state that wasn't bordering current Big Ten states. If Texas decided to throw itself at the Big Ten for some reason, I'm sure they'd make an exception, for example.

Georgia Tech would be another outstanding fit, academically. As would North Carolina.

You got me. Dead to rights.

I only happened to watch the drive where ISU went through them pretty easily to go up 14-7.

Obviously things went quite south from there.
Oh but, one thing --- you think there's any chance in hell that the corndicks would've done any better??

The way Iowa State and Kansas State opened their seasons, Nebraska would fit right back into the Big12 and maybe even be competitive.

Don't forget about Kansas! The Jayhawks refuse to be ignored!

Nebraska still has more cache' than any to the schools
In hindsight, Missouri was the correct decision.

Delaney got sold on the idea that the Huskers would return to national contender status. Has never happened and clearly never will.
Never say never....Nebraska still carries more cache' than any of the schools you have listed, seriously, Iowa St, Missouri and Louisville carry zero national brand. I get hating Nebraska, but they have a national brand still.

Nebraska still has more cache' than any to the schools

Never say never....Nebraska still carries more cache' than any of the schools you have listed, seriously, Iowa St, Missouri and Louisville carry zero national brand. I get hating Nebraska, but they have a national brand still.
No, they don’t. That’s either ignorance or dishonesty. The average CFB fan doesn’t think of them any differently than NC State, Colorado, or Tennessee.

Academically and geographically, it should have been Iowa State - natural rivalries with Iowa and Minnesota. TV market-wise and also academically, it should have been Mizzou. Nebraska claims to have this nationwide following, but this isn't 1985 - let them go and nobody gives a rats ass. While I know it won't happen, wouldn't it be funny to see Nebraska booted, and the Big 12 refusing to take them back and they end up in the Mountain West...

Academically and geographically, it should have been Iowa State - natural rivalries with Iowa and Minnesota. TV market-wise and also academically, it should have been Mizzou. Nebraska claims to have this nationwide following, but this isn't 1985 - let them go and nobody gives a rats ass. While I know it won't happen, wouldn't it be funny to see Nebraska booted, and the Big 12 refusing to take them back and they end up in the Mountain West...
And they finish 4th or 5th....... Then change their name to Nebraska State

No, they don’t. That’s either ignorance or dishonesty. The average CFB fan doesn’t think of them any differently than NC State, Colorado, or Tennessee.
Then why in the hell have national college football experts picked Nebraska to win or finish in the top two spots in the west the last several years. It's because they still have brand awareness, whether or not they have lived up to those expectations the last several years is certainly not debatable. Tennessee has been down since Fulmer left, but to put them in a Colorado or NC State category is laughable.

Iowa St, Missouri and Louisville would bring nothing to the BIG.

Top Bottom