Nebraska to retain Frost

Yeah except frost did it winning 15 games in 4 years
Yes, and let's face it, Nebraska still has more talent on their roster than Minnesota. I give Fleck a pass on recruiting at this point. It's still an uphill battle to recruit with many other Big Ten teams at Minnesota.

No coach wants to or likes firing the assistant coaches he hired because it shows he made mistakes in hiring them and many are friends of his.
This was the bitter medicine he had to swallow to be HC next year.
It is plausible that Frost also had to agree to reduce his buy out if he is fired at the end of next year.
It is a myth that Frost recruits better than most of the BIG West.
He does not have a QB to replace Martinez and only has one RB.
Like Fleck, Frost will lose a lot of five and six year players with no certainty that there are adequate replacements in the pipe line on both sides of the ball.
Next year may well be worse or the same for Frost. It is very unlikely to be better.
Where will he find"better assistants"to come to NE when the HC's job is in jeopardy?
Frost's personal life is a mess too.
He gets a one year reprieve, which was in the cards anyway, but will have to take the jump after next year.

Frost took a reduction in salary from 5 mill to 4 mill and his 2022 buy out was reduced from 15 mill to 7.5 mill.
Bitter pills to swallow.

No coach wants to or likes firing the assistant coaches he hired because it shows he made mistakes in hiring them and many are friends of his.
This was the bitter medicine he had to swallow to be HC next year.
It is plausible that Frost also had to agree to reduce his buy out if he is fired at the end of next year.
It is a myth that Frost recruits better than most of the BIG West.
He does not have a QB to replace Martinez and only has one RB.
Like Fleck, Frost will lose a lot of five and six year players with no certainty that there are adequate replacements in the pipe line on both sides of the ball.
Next year may well be worse or the same for Frost. It is very unlikely to be better.
Where will he find"better assistants"to come to NE when the HC's job is in jeopardy?
Frost's personal life is a mess too.
He gets a one year reprieve, which was in the cards anyway, but will have to take the jump after next year.
Considering assistant coaches generally only sign 2 to 3 year deals max, and what they can afford to pay, they will get assistants to go there for a hefty two year guaranteed contract. Money talks and plenty of coaches would jump at making a guaranteed 500K plus per year guaranteed for the next two years, especially when most are used to moving every few years anyways.

If I’m a coach, zero chance I’m signing onto the Frost team. He’s a dead man walking and that team will also unload a good chunk of talent. I guess Martinez is somehow back but I’m unsure if that’s a good thing. Toure, Honas, Taylor-Britt (guessing to the draft), Williams, Dismuke, Domann all are gone. After that, they’re pretty young with all the guys Frost has chased off or mismanaged and seen leave. No thanks if I’m looking to step up my career

It is the lesser of the two evils to retain Frost than to fire him. By reducing the buyout from $15M to $7.5M and restructuring his contract from $5M to $4M next year, they soften the financial blow should they end up firing him after next season.

This is (sadly) correct.

Brutal schedule and they've been competitive in every loss.

Martinez can't play forever. Just a random name, and no guarantees, but what would they have done this year with Rattler?
Hopefully we won’t have to test the Rattler scenario next year. That’d be pretty funny.

Frost took a reduction in salary from 5 mill to 4 mill and his 2022 buy out was reduced from 15 mill to 7.5 mill.
Bitter pills to swallow.
Still, why would Nebraska care that much about that saving that amount of money? Seems like pocket change for a still proud program like that. Their AD must really be loyal to Frost.

Still, why would Nebraska care that much about that saving that amount of money? Seems like pocket change for a still proud program like that. Their AD must really be loyal to Frost.
Are they still paying for the previous coaches that they have fired?

It strikes me as being very odd that they're firing all those offensive coaches despite being ranked 19th in total offense in all of D1 football. What am I missing here?

G

Good quest
Pelini got 6.5 mill staggered over a number of years and NE is now done paying that.
Riley got 6.2 mill in a lump sum.
Moos, the former AD, got $700,000.
There are very deep pockets among the NE donors but even they must be close to being tapped out as a new football facility is being constructed with donor $$.

This is (sadly) correct.

Brutal schedule and they've been competitive in every loss.

Martinez can't play forever. Just a random name, and no guarantees, but what would they have done this year with Rattler?
Bitter pills to swallow.
That was an honorable way for him to save face with the program and fans.

What I get from this is the AD made some contacts and didn't get any favorable responses on who he'd have for possible replacements for Frost.

By giving him another year, he's hoping for a better season next year which MIGHT make the Nebraska job a bit more attractive.

With the $$$ B1G schools get from the conference, and with boosters involved, I have a hard time thinking Nebraska couldn't have afforded the $20M buyout. And I doubt the $20M would have been a lump sum. Alberts simply didn't have someone lined up as the next HC. And can you imagine the embarrassment for a one time "blueblood" to be rejected or be turned down from the end of November until bowl season starts?

I expect several players to either "opt out" of the remainder of the season to prepare for the draft or simply "go thru the motions" in the last two games.

Bitter pills to swallow.
Yes, and he can't call the plays anymore! That has to hurt. The whole thing sounds like something out of the Godfather, with Alberts the top guy making the demands - or else. Humiliating for Frost. So they'll go for a big name OC, who will be a co-coach, it seems. Frost had to fire three offensive coaches who were with him at Central Florida.

Bitter pills to swallow.
So Nebby saves about $8.5M if it fires him next year as opposed to this season.

Considering assistant coaches generally only sign 2 to 3 year deals max, and what they can afford to pay, they will get assistants to go there for a hefty two year guaranteed contract. Money talks and plenty of coaches would jump at making a guaranteed 500K plus per year guaranteed for the next two years, especially when most are used to moving every few years anyways.
They will absolutely find coaches willing to take the job....but an established OC would be crazy to make that leap, given how shaky Frost's foundation is right now. They are going to have to hit a HR with some upcoming position coach or OC from a lower division school.

Than again, maybe there is an OC out there that thinks if he goes to Nebraska and Frost gets fired he will get the interim coach title and have a shot at the head job. Heck maybe Jedd Fisch would drop his current head coaching gig to come be the OC at Nebraska :)

What I get from this is the AD made some contacts and didn't get any favorable responses on who he'd have for possible replacements for Frost.

By giving him another year, he's hoping for a better season next year which MIGHT make the Nebraska job a bit more attractive.

With the $$$ B1G schools get from the conference, and with boosters involved, I have a hard time thinking Nebraska couldn't have afforded the $20M buyout. And I doubt the $20M would have been a lump sum. Alberts simply didn't have someone lined up as the next HC. And can you imagine the embarrassment for a one time "blueblood" to be rejected or be turned down from the end of November until bowl season starts?

I expect several players to either "opt out" of the remainder of the season to prepare for the draft or simply "go thru the motions" in the last two games.
Who would Nebby get at this point with the season not complete? The route taken is interesting as they also probably got rid of any internal interim HC in the process.

You think 8 million dollars is pocket change?
For Nebraska yes. Buyouts these days are crazy. Auburn paid something like $27 million on a buyout. I'm sure Nebraska could find a donor to come up with a few extra million in a pinch.

They will absolutely find coaches willing to take the job....but an established OC would be crazy to make that leap, given how shaky Frost's foundation is right now. They are going to have to hit a HR with some upcoming position coach or OC from a lower division school.

Than again, maybe there is an OC out there that thinks if he goes to Nebraska and Frost gets fired he will get the interim coach title and have a shot at the head job. Heck maybe Jedd Fisch would drop his current head coaching gig to come be the OC at Nebraska :)
Don't give Jedd any ideas....

Who would Nebby get at this point with the season not complete? The route taken is interesting as they also probably got rid of any internal interim HC in the process.
I'm talking about contacting people to gauge interest. Obviously some thin ice as far as serious discussions, but likely just some talk about "if our HC position opened up, would you be interested" type of stuff.

The fact that Frost will be looking for assistants when the world knows another bad year and he's gone isn't going to attract too many big name guys, imo.

I expect Nebraska players can't be relishing the last few weeks of another failed season. Senior day is gonna be pretty gloomy for those guys. And I bet they have a dozen guys hit the portal of those remaining underclassmen.

And high school recruiting, already pretty poor, will be a disaster this year.

For Nebraska yes. Buyouts these days are crazy. Auburn paid something like $27 million on a buyout. I'm sure Nebraska could find a donor to come up with a few extra million in a pinch.
Option A: do nothing.
Option B: re-write a contract and save $8.5 million.

Are you actually surprised that an organization would choose option B? I believe that every single Fortune 500 company would choose option B if given those two choices.

Option A: do nothing.
Option B: re-write a contract and save $8.5 million.

Are you actually surprised that an organization would choose option B? I believe that every single Fortune 500 company would choose option B if given those two choices.
Depends. In football, knowing a HC has such a short leash will hinder recruiting for at least two years. Nebraska is struggling in that area, anyway. If you're a high school star, Nebraska is irrelevant right now. Every year away from the "glory days" makes it even harder to return.

I said this in another post, the $20M buyout likely wasn't going to be a lump sum payment.

And with Frost, his personal life is a mess too. That has to play into the results.

B1G teams and fans are probably thrilled by Monday's events.

My boss and a co-worker are both Neb fans.

the general consensus among the Neb fan base is that Alberts gave Frost a "take-it-or-leave it" choice:

Accept the reduced salary and lower buyout, and re-do your coaching staff..................

OR

you're fired.

and, apparently, Frost chose the former. under this scenario, a lot of Neb fans think 2022 is a make-or-break year. If Neb doesn't win more games, Frost is probably gone.

Top Bottom