Nebraska to retain Frost

fmlizard

Reaction score

I actually would’ve rather they fired him. He probably isn’t good and probably won’t turn them around. But if they fire him it’s over. They become Minnesota in 1979 (or worse)

He will be making multiple changes to the offensive assistants though

Saw this on reddit and had to repost it here: Records (Division Title/Top 25 for 2021 not yet counted) in the Frost era

Iowa: 32-11, 3 Top 25 Finishes

Wisconsin: 28-15, 1 Division Title, 1 Top 25 Finish

Minnesota: 27-15, 1 Top 25 Finish

Northwestern: 22-22, 2 Division Titles, 2 Top 25 Finishes

Purdue: 18-22

Illinois: 16-27

Nebraska: 15-27

Conference Records

Iowa: 21-11

Wisconsin: 19-11

Minnesota: 17-14

Northwestern: 16-16

Purdue: 14-16

Illinois: 11-22

Nebraska: 10-23

Bowls (Teams to have clinched a bowl in 2021 included)

Wisconsin: 4

Iowa: 3 (Invited but Cancelled in Covid Year 2020--would otherwise be 4)

Minnesota: 3

Northwestern: 2

Purdue: 2

Illinois: 1

Nebraska: 0

Top 25 Wins

Iowa: 6

Wisconsin 5

Northwestern: 5

Purdue: 5

Illinois: 3

Minnesota: 2

Nebraska: 0

Wins vs FBS Teams with Winning Records (Current Winning Records Used for 2021--Obviously Prone to Change)

Wisconsin: 12

Iowa: 11

Northwestern: 8

Minnesota: 7

Purdue: 7

Illinois: 5

Nebraska: 2

Head to Head

vs Illinois: 2-2 (2 year losing streak)

vs Northwestern: 2-2

vs Minnesota: 1-3 (3 year losing streak)

vs Purdue: 1-3

vs Wisconsin: 0-2

vs Iowa: 0-3

Frost has kept his team close with really good teams. Just can't finish. I'm just not sure if he's a very good coach. Keep him around and let's see what's up. I don't mind beating Nebraska on a yearly basis.

giphy.gif

YES! Frosty stay's. Christmas, and the gift that keeps on giving in November for the Big 10 West!

Last edited:

It may seem funny.....but even with a losing record.....this is probably the best his team has looked. I'd prefer them to dump him and restart....because with the talent they bring in.....they might not be the kicking can of the B10 for much longer.
This is (sadly) correct.

Brutal schedule and they've been competitive in every loss.

Martinez can't play forever. Just a random name, and no guarantees, but what would they have done this year with Rattler?

It may seem funny.....but even with a losing record.....this is probably the best his team has looked. I'd prefer them to dump him and restart....because with the talent they bring in.....they might not be the kicking can of the B10 for much longer.

Losing that many close games is a sign of poor coaching. Not making a bowl game in 4 seasons at Nebraska, while playing in the B1G west is a sign of poor coaching. Lovie Smith went to a bowl game in his 4th season. Brewster did it in seasons 2 and 3. Mike Riley did it his first 2 seasons at Nebraska.

That's not a very high bar and Frost hasn't done it. His recruiting class is ranked last in the B1G currently. They are just delaying the inevitable, which is fine by me. I'll keep laughing.

Losing that many close games is a sign of poor coaching. Not making a bowl game in 4 seasons at Nebraska, while playing in the B1G west is a sign of poor coaching. Lovie Smith went to a bowl game in his 4th season. Brewster did it in seasons 2 and 3. Mike Riley did it his first 2 seasons at Nebraska.

That's not a very high bar and Frost hasn't done it. His recruiting class is ranked last in the B1G currently. They are just delaying the inevitable, which is fine by me. I'll keep laughing.

Completely agree. Frost doesn't seem to be a very good coach. His teams should be far better with the talent they have. They've completely ruined Martinez.

But......their team seems to be improving. Frost still had an undefeated season at UCF. I'd much rather they dump him and restart than see what happens. Still have an inkling that he could get that program going.

I looked at their schedule for 2022.

I would say it's, arguably, easier

Other coaches sometimes have horrible results in the beginning as reported elsewhere. Many close losses this year. Who knows, maybe he'll turn it around.

Go Gophers!!
now those are some outrage scalps!

Imagine if Nebraska wasn't #2 in the Big Ten in offensive YPG

What's gonna happen to the coaches of the 9th ranked defense?

Part of the "restructured contract" must be that Frosty has to coach the team himself! Maybe he will call the next game over Zoom from a Travelodge in Dothan, AL while he tries to do all the recruiting himself too.

Nebraska's whole problem is that they have been a revolving door under Frost. This doesn't help. He's like Brewster in more ways than one.

Crazy that he can fire 4 coaches and have all internal guys there to jump in. I agree with those that think keeping Frost is bad for MN. I think he will get it turned around.
The West has really good coaches at every school, four way tie going into final 3 weeks, and the bottom 3 coaches have all won big at some time in their careers.

Scott Frost now has the same number of losses in his Nebraska coaching career as Bo Pelini had in his Nebraska coaching career.

Frost will tie Bo's total wins at Nebraska with 52 more victories or (currentvictories x 3) + 7.

Scott Frost now has the same number of losses in his Nebraska coaching career as Bo Pelini had in his Nebraska coaching career.

Frost will tie Bo's total wins at Nebraska with 52 more victories or (currentvictories x 3) + 7.
of all the "damning Scott Frost math" having to win 4 consecutive national titles just to catch Bo Pelini is the best/worst of 'em all

Rumor is he is accepting a greatly reduced buyout for the chance at one more year.

why would he accept reduced guaranteed money? Because Nebraska would roll over on him to fire him for cause for ncaa violations.

Saves Nebraska 10 million or so firing him next year

saves him a next job for not being fired for ncaa violations

Go Gophers!!

Even with the horrendous couple losses this year.....we're incredibly fortunate as a fanbase to have landed a coach like Fleck. Had a couple shit losses this year....but we haven't had a team as good as he's fielded in my lifetime. The sky is the limit with Coach Fleck.

This all simply reinforces my thought that Frost is a lousy coach....and a lousy leader to boot. I can't imagine Fleck throwing anyone under the bus like Scoot does.

Even with the horrendous couple losses this year.....we're incredibly fortunate as a fanbase to have landed a coach like Fleck. Had a couple shit losses this year....but we haven't had a team as good as he's fielded in my lifetime. The sky is the limit with Coach Fleck.

This all simply reinforces my thought that Frost is a lousy coach....and a lousy leader to boot. I can't imagine Fleck throwing anyone under the bus like Scoot does.
Frost simply did what PJ did to Robb Smith and may end up doing with Sanford Jr.?

Top Bottom