Nebby pounding Iowa

Losing Bell really hurt as he would have taken the pressure off the younger guys on the field. He would have made a huge impact. We're not talking NFL here, this is the college level, and these guys need a role model. Bell would have provided that on the field.

Embarrassment?? Lol no

TV ratings and payouts is literally all the conference gives a crap about. And keeping the bowl partners happy, which boils down to getting lots of fans to travel and get good TV ratings.

I think conference prestige is more important than you may think. Especially when looking at media deals and the such....I can tell you for a fact that Kevin Warren and the other executives care about perception. And perception is that the Big Ten is second tier to the SEC in football. Regardless of whether that's true or not (it is based on National Championships)....the people up top don't like that narrative.

Losing Bell really hurt as he would have taken the pressure off the younger guys on the field. He would have made a huge impact. We're not talking NFL here, this is the college level, and these guys need a role model. Bell would have provided that on the field.
We saw with CRAB out how much one guy being out completely changes how well everyone else performs....

I am hoping Illinois can represent the West as I think they would beat Michigan is they okay then again and who knows how they would fare vs OSU. The Illini defense is pretty tough.

I am hoping Illinois can represent the West as I think they would beat Michigan is they okay then again and who knows how they would fare vs OSU. The Illini defense is pretty tough.
If Mich comes out of the East, that means they beat OSU. Plus they have the highest ranked efense in the B1G. I don't think there's a team in the West this year who can come close to beating either.

Yeah people can be upset with our team. But we aren’t alone.
Same with Wisconsin.

Even Purdue lost to a bad Wisconsin team and bad Iowa team back to back weeks.
Other than whomever gets to go to Indy, there will be at least 4 West teams shaking their heads at the blown opportunity.

Actually can probably even add Nebraska, to make it 5. Squandered 3 very winnable games, Northwestern, Minnesota & Wisconsin. If they fired Frost a month earlier, perhaps they win it.

Once Iowa lost their best defensive player and their quarterback it was game over—you could tell they weren’t going to recover
He’s not their best player in D they have one All American and one near All American LB plus Riley Moss who is an All American in the past.

He’s not their best player in D they have one All American and one near All American LB plus Riley Moss who is an All American in the past.
Jack Campbell is their best defensive player. Losing Dejean hurt pretty bad for them.

During post game Nebby QB said he didn’t know they played Iowa for a trophy and doesn’t know anything about the B1G as he’s from Oklahoma. How embarrassing. Say what you want about PJ, but I‘m positive his young men have a grasp on their program’s history and the meaningfulness of rivalries.
Wow.. that's pretty sad. And the fact he openly said it with a mic in front of him is pathetic..idiot!

Purdue has the best chance to upset someone in big ten title game

Iowa losing helps gophers
If gophers win you could pick Mn in front of Iowa in bowl selection. Better record.

The best would actually be Illinois AND Purdue losing.
Sending this Iowa team to the big ten title game
We will not get picked over Iowa.. even if we win 2 more games than them. That's not how bowl game politics work.

We will not get picked over Iowa.. even if we win 2 more games than them. That's not how bowl game politics work.
The gophers got picked over Iowa with one more win than Iowa and a loss to Iowa as recently as 4 years ago. Calm down

The gophers got picked over Iowa with one more win than Iowa and a loss to Iowa as recently as 4 years ago. Calm down

True, but technically 3 years ago. They also were assigned to a higher bowl than Iowa in 2014. They had one more win than Iowa but also beat Iowa. If we beat Wisconsin I think we have a decent shot to get a better bowl than Iowa, especially after getting screwed last year.

True, but technically 3 years ago. They also were assigned to a higher bowl than Iowa in 2014. They had one more win than Iowa but also beat Iowa. If we beat Wisconsin I think we have a decent shot to get a better bowl than Iowa, especially after getting screwed last year.
Only if we win today

Other than whomever gets to go to Indy, there will be at least 4 West teams shaking their heads at the blown opportunity.

Actually can probably even add Nebraska, to make it 5. Squandered 3 very winnable games, Northwestern, Minnesota & Wisconsin. If they fired Frost a month earlier, perhaps they win it.
So true. For the Gophers, the Purdue loss (without Ibrahim) and the Iowa loss (where the better team with more talent lost) really stung. It would have been a good year if those are victories for us. I just don't know if we will get that kind of opportunity to make a real run very soon.

I really wish we had vintage Mason offense with this defense together at the same time. I think we really have something with that combination!

If the Big Ten takes a pretty mediocre Iowa team over the Gophers for the bowls, Iowa will get rocked in their bowl and the Gophers will be lined with someone they will beat again. Iowa should probably get the last Big Ten slot possible -- they are not a good team at all.

If the Big Ten takes a pretty mediocre Iowa team over the Gophers for the bowls, Iowa will get rocked in their bowl and the Gophers will be lined with someone they will beat again. Iowa should probably get the last Big Ten slot possible -- they are not a good team at all.
Would love to see Iowa play Alabama and lose by 700

Would love to see Iowa play Alabama and lose by 700
You just might get your wish! Iowa's offense won't be able to score more than about 10 points against most SEC teams and their defense will be exploited by a decent offense. Guessing a good 31-10 thrashing and I do not even know their opponent yet!!! haha.

So yeah -- go ahead and give them one of the top SEC teams in a bowl and let's just see what happens....

You just might get your wish! Iowa's offense won't be able to score more than about 10 points against most SEC teams and their defense will be exploited by a decent offense. Guessing a good 31-10 thrashing and I do not even know their opponent yet!!! haha.

So yeah -- go ahead and give them one of the top SEC teams in a bowl and let's just see what happens....
Would love it.
Unfortunately they’ll probably get Tennessee’s backup QB and look competent

Bowls make most money from TV. More than half are set up as nonprofits as well.
Major bowls probably do get more money from TV contracts. I'm talking mid to lower bowls. They make money from selling tickets and doing deals with local hotels, etc.

Nonprofit is just to avoid paying taxes. The bowl organizers aren't doing all the work out of the goodness of their hearts.

I think conference prestige is more important than you may think. Especially when looking at media deals and the such....I can tell you for a fact that Kevin Warren and the other executives care about perception. And perception is that the Big Ten is second tier to the SEC in football. Regardless of whether that's true or not (it is based on National Championships)....the people up top don't like that narrative.
If they do well in the NY6 and the two major Florida bowls (SEC matchups), that's all they care about. Those are the major TV bowls.

Because the B1G put a team with a losing conference record in a New Year’s Day bowl game instead of one of the teams that beat them.
They do not care. The Bowl wanted a major traveling fanbase and the bowl got its wish.

No, you can't say that. Iowa beat Purdue, Wisconsin, and Minnesota and, if the Gophers beat Wisconsin, the Badgers finish 6-6. Iowa also had a tougher conference schedule than those three teams as they had to play both OSU and Michigan.

If they do well in the NY6 and the two major Florida bowls (SEC matchups), that's all they care about. Those are the major TV bowls.

They put Penn State in the Outback Bowl last year against #24 Arkansas.

They put Penn State in the Outback Bowl last year against #24 Arkansas.
Yes.

Maybe that was a mistake. But the Outback wanted a strong traveling fanbase and the Big Ten gave them what they wanted. Maybe they won't do that again, but I don't put it past them.

That's only one game.

Well—my brother who lives in Iowa and is a big time Hawkeye fan ( the guy that I get a boat load of shi-from every time we play them) disagrees with you all the way —and I do as well. Cooper DeJean —a sophomore has 4 interceptions—plays a nasty CB position —is all over the field. If he would have played yesterday the two long touchdowns left totally open would not have happened. Remember the kid that was defending their punts in the Gopher game—downed the ball two times on our 2 or 3 yard line—yes that was Cooper DeJean. The kid fields their punts as well—I think he had one real nice return against the Gophers. As far as an overall impact player for them —yes he is better than Moss and Campbell I

Yes.

Maybe that was a mistake. But the Outback wanted a strong traveling fanbase and the Big Ten gave them what they wanted. Maybe they won't do that again, but I don't put it past them.

That's only one game.

Right. It's only one game. Point is that I think this is an outlier. I'd like to believe that the Outback Bowl requested PSU despite their record...and that the Big Ten would have preferred a different team that could give the conference a better chance to win.

Keep in mind....the attendance to the 2022 Outback Bowl was 46,577 compared with 45,652 (according to wikipedia) when the #16 Gophers played #9 Auburn in 2020. So less than 1k difference. I'd say that game mattered to the conference. Head to head against the SEC....especially when getting towards the top team....is important for perception.

Right. It's only one game. Point is that I think this is an outlier. I'd like to believe that the Outback Bowl requested PSU despite their record...and that the Big Ten would have preferred a different team that could give the conference a better chance to win.

Keep in mind....the attendance to the 2022 Outback Bowl was 46,577 compared with 45,652 (according to wikipedia) when the #16 Gophers played #9 Auburn in 2020. So less than 1k difference. I'd say that game mattered to the conference. Head to head against the SEC....especially when getting towards the top team....is important for perception.
I'd like to think it is based almost solely on merit, too.

Someone posted in another thread a while ago that a significant chunk of the traveling Gopher fanbase went down-and-back for the game, thus not spending money on hotels and restaurants, which is a big deal to the bowl organizers and city putting it on. For whatever that is worth, again "shouldn't" be, but I have my doubts.

I'd like to think it is based almost solely on merit, too.

Someone posted in another thread a while ago that a significant chunk of the traveling Gopher fanbase went down-and-back for the game, thus not spending money on hotels and restaurants, which is a big deal to the bowl organizers and city putting it on. For whatever that is worth, again "shouldn't" be, but I have my doubts.

And this person knew that how?

Top Bottom