NCAA Tournament 2022-23

1679851879926.png
1679851834005.png

1679851970104.png

Ratings should be way up this week.

Miami's Cavinder Twins are stars too, Hanna and Haley.

1679856200940.png

Hey, she's wearing braids today too. What's up with that"

"Lil Wayne is an established LSU sports fan.

The hip-hop star and New Orleans native has long professed his support for his home-state teams. So when he showed up Friday on a locker-room FaceTime call with Miami's Cavinder twins after the Hurricanes' Sweet 16 win over Villanova, he turned heads."

1679855997208.png

LSU's star Angel Reese may have been the transfer portal blockbuster of this last offseason (from Maryland).

"She is averaging 23.4 points and 15.5 rebounds per game, both in the top five in the country. On Wednesday, she was one of five players named to the Associated Press All-America first team. And at 5:30 p.m. ET Friday, she’ll lead the No. 3 seed Tigers into their first-round matchup against No. 14 seed Hawaii."

Now Reese and LSU are in the Elite Eight spotlight -- and social media buzz too.

Yep. I love Owusu's game; but not that much
I know she has had a series of injuries but she’s an example of not getting her previous PT post transfer. She has been vocal about her lack of PT. Coach Brooks developed a winning line up without her n has been reluctant to mess with success. Grass is not always greener…

As gifted as she is, Angel Reese’s attitude when she’s not playing well is nauseating. Her team up 6 on Miami with 1:55 left in Q2, but clearly in her own head.

I don't like saying it cause I don't like the Iowa Hawkeyes, but Caitlan Clarke's a generational player. Her passing is almost as impressive as her scoring. The next generation of players coming into the WNBA the next 2-4 years will transform the league into must see TV and sell a lot of tix. Just going to be an influx of tremendous talent.

I don't like saying it cause I don't like the Iowa Hawkeyes, but Caitlan Clarke's a generational player. Her passing is almost as impressive as her scoring. The next generation of players coming into the WNBA the next 2-4 years will transform the league into must see TV and sell a lot of tix. Just going to be an influx of tremendous talent.

HA, I'm a Cyclone alumni/fan and a Gopher fan so no friend of the Hawks but I absolutely love watching her. Her high risk high reward style does generate some turnovers but than you've got those threes and crazy sweet passes. Seen a lot of great players but few, or maybe none, this exciting in WBB.

And you can't ignore how popular she is with young gals. Just good for WBB in general.

As gifted as she is, Angel Reese’s attitude when she’s not playing well is nauseating. Her team up 6 on Miami with 1:55 left in Q2, but clearly in her own head.
She has no jumpshot and is too stupid to keep a 2.0 GPA to make awards lists. She just camps in lane and slams into defenders and doesn't get called for it. Badly needs to be humbled

It'd be great if most of them take a 5th year in college before wnba. Would be taking a massive pay and marketability cut to declare for draft

What a run!!

It's all over mainstream news. People who usually aren't real aware of women's basketball may hear the buzz and check it out. Clark is the first player to record a 40-point triple-double a men's or women's NCAA Division 1 tournament game.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/03/27/sport/caitlin-clark-march-madness-final-four-spt-intl/index.html

Not to downplay Clark’s accomplishment at all — she was simply fantastic on the big stage last night. But I chuckled when the announcers said they had “found” an additional rebound with about two minutes left to give her the requisite 10 needed for the triple double, after ESPN had posted the triple double watch graphic on screen about 2-3 minutes earlier.
It's all over mainstream news. People who usually aren't real aware of women's basketball may hear the buzz and check it out. Clark is the first player to record a 40-point triple-double a men's or women's NCAA Division 1 tournament game.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/03/27/sport/caitlin-clark-march-madness-final-four-spt-intl/index.html

It'd be great if most of them take a 5th year in college before wnba. Would be taking a massive pay and marketability cut to declare for draft
Not sure if this has been mentioned elsewhere but Clark has said she would consider taking a fifth year. It’s hard to imagine that would be the case pre-NIL (even though she claims NIL won’t play a big role in her decision).

Not to downplay Clark’s accomplishment at all — she was simply fantastic on the big stage last night. But I chuckled when the announcers said they had “found” an additional rebound with about two minutes left to give her the requisite 10 needed for the triple double, after ESPN had posted the triple double watch graphic on screen about 2-3 minutes earlier.
9th was a the one with travel and 10th was the tap-out

9th was a the one with travel and 10th was the tap-out
Thanks. I wasn’t doubting whether she actually got it, just that they had to go find it while the game was still in progress.

Maryland leading 21-15 at the second quarter.

Beating SC would be epic. I doubt that happens.

20230327_183544.jpg

Last edited:

Caitlin viewers plus unbeatable South Carolina viewers = ratings explosion.

1679967078093.png

Actually, I'm not sure I believe that $1 million number. But it's possible.

Virginia Tech's coach Kenny Brooks is one of the best. I hope he gets more press. They just outdueled Ohio State in the Elite Eight. Happy for them!

South Carolina is favored by 11.5 points over Iowa.

LSU is favored by 1.5 points over Virginia Tech.

How many college PLAYERS could host a weekend basketball skills get together and demand is greater than supply. Picture with Clark and other souvenirs from the celebrity

1680052987049.png

A media sensation:

Record weekend for women’s tourney as Sweet 16, Elite 8, hit highs

Sunday’s Iowa-Louisville NCAA women’s basketball tournament regional final averaged a 1.4 rating and 2.50 million viewers on ESPN, up 82% in ratings and 94% in viewership from Stanford-Texas last year (0.8, 1.29M) and the largest audience on record for a women’s tournament game outside of the Final Four.

The previous high was set one day earlier by Ohio State’s Sweet 16 upset of UConn, which averaged a 1.4 and 2.41 million on ABC — nearly tripling last year’s equivalent window on ESPN2 (Louisville-Tennessee: 0.53, 879K).

Overall, this year’s regional semifinals and finals delivered four of the seven largest women’s tournament audiences outside of the Final Four. Monday’s games — Virginia Tech-Ohio State (1.3, 2.23M) and South Carolina-Maryland (1.2, 2.17M) — rank sixth and seventh respectively.

Most-watched NCAA women’s basketball tournament games prior to the Final Four

....Outside of the two Duke-North Carolina men’s games on ESPN this year — which averaged 2.86 and 2.63 million — the three above-mentioned regional finals rank as the most-watched basketball telecasts on ESPN’s cable networks this season. ESPN’s largest NBA regular season audience this season was 2.15 million for Knicks-Celtics earlier this month.

Other games also performed well. Miami-LSU led off the Elite Eight with a 1.0 and 1.89 million on ESPN Sunday night, up 63% and 77% respectively from South Carolina-Creighton a year ago (0.6, 1.07M).

Returning to the Sweet 16, South Carolina-UCLA averaged a 1.0 (+26%) and 1.75 million (+22%) on ESPN Saturday afternoon, preceded by Maryland-Notre Dame at a 0.7 (+22%) and 1.23 million (+18%). Virginia Tech-Tennessee brought up the rear Saturday with a 0.46 and 782,000 on ESPN2, down slightly year-over-year.

Iowa-Colorado a 0.7 and 1.29 million topped Friday’s action at a 0.7 and 1.29 million, up 36% in ratings and 59% in viewership from the combined audience of South Carolina-North Carolina on ESPN and Texas-Ohio State on ESPN2 in the same window last year (0.5, 809K).

LSU-Utah led in with a 0.66 and 1.10 million, followed by Miami-Villanova at a 0.45 and 762,000. There were no equivalent windows last year, when the Friday games aired in competing primetime doubleheaders.....

Overall, the full tournament is averaging 660,000 viewers per game — up 42% from last year. The Sweet 16 averaged 1.2 million (+73%) and the Elite Eight 2.2 million (+43%), both records....

"The Big Ten Conference saw its history-making 2022-23 women’s basketball season take another step forward Sunday night when the University of Iowa earned a trip to the NCAA Women’s Final Four with a 97-83 victory over Louisville in the Seattle 4 Regional final at Climate Pledge Arena in Seattle....."

"For the 22nd consecutive season (not counting the 2019-20 campaign that ended prematurely due to the COVID-19 pandemic), the Big Ten is sending at least eight of its women’s basketball programs to postseason play. Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Maryland, Michigan, Ohio State and Purdue will compete in the NCAA Tournament, while Nebraska will represent the conference in the Women’s National Invitation Tournament (WNIT).

The Big Ten’s seven NCAA Tournament qualifiers tied the conference record for most schools selected in a single season, set three times previously (2012, 2015, 2022). For the second year in a row, the Big Ten also leads all conferences with the most top-four seeds (4) in this year’s NCAA Tournament. The last two years match the conference record for the most NCAA top-four seeds (first set in 2005)...."

1680054609998.png

Most-watched NCAA women’s basketball tournament games prior to the Final Four​

ncaa women's tournament ratings chart

The Gophers were also TV magic with Whalen/McCarville. Their 2004 game against Duke still a top-ten non Final Four game.

Most-watched NCAA women’s basketball tournament games prior to the Final Four​

ncaa women's tournament ratings chart's tournament ratings chart

The Gophers were also TV magic with Whalen/McCarville. Their 2004 game against Duke still a top-ten non Final Four game.

Is the MN - Duke game on YouTube or somewhere? Might have to rewatch it.

Top Bottom