Myron: Gopher coaches are confident in their chances of getting Cory Joseph

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per his chat today:

"Coaches are confident in their chances of getting Cory Joseph. They think he's more comfortable with the Gophers' staff than any of the other schools' coaches. Plus, if he comes here, he gets immediate playing time. Not necessarily the case at Texas, UConn or Villanova. The past week helps, I think. Devoe Joseph has become a leader, a star in the making. He has to be thinking more and more about joining his brother in the backcourt. It also helps, I think, that UConn didn't make it. But at the end of the day, those big schools still have big resources and big names and when they get into the Big Dance .. .they make runs."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/g...kD8EQDUoaEyqyP4O:DW3ckUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUycaEacyU

Go Gophers!!

per his chat today:

"Coaches are confident in their chances of getting Cory Joseph. They think he's more comfortable with the Gophers' staff than any of the other schools' coaches. Plus, if he comes here, he gets immediate playing time. Not necessarily the case at Texas, UConn or Villanova. The past week helps, I think. Devoe Joseph has become a leader, a star in the making. He has to be thinking more and more about joining his brother in the backcourt. It also helps, I think, that UConn didn't make it. But at the end of the day, those big schools still have big resources and big names and when they get into the Big Dance .. .they make runs."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/g...kD8EQDUoaEyqyP4O:DW3ckUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUycaEacyU

Go Gophers!!

If I trusted Myron one bit, this quote would mean something to me. Since I don't, it doesn't. But one would think that playing time on a team that is on the rise would be a high motivator for a recruit. Adding the prospect of playing with your brother makes it seem very possible, but I am basing that on my observations, not on anything that Myron says. Besides, statements like "Gophers Coaches think" about recruits is just bad, considering they are not allowed to talk about recruits. If they said anything to him off the record, he should keep his mouth shut, and his fingers still at his keyboard. I know it's only a blog, but he needs to know when to draw the line.

COME TO THE U CORY!!!!

Gotta give Myron props for at least spelling his name right, good ol Sid busted out a Corey a couple times in his column today.

Oh Sid.

Holy Man, changing gears here, I know you would have liked to see one more win, but I'm guessing what the Gophers did over the weekend qualifies as an extended Big 10 Tournament run? Congrats, glad you were able to be a part of it. I'm envious I wasn't there. Will be back next year.

By the way, my parents' run of attending every Big 10 Tournament game since its inception ended with the Gophers-Ohio State game. My dad got sick, so they stayed back at the hotel. I teased him, told him he probably got sick because he's not accustomed to seing a Gopher victory over the Green & White. We had a different take on the officiating!;)

SS...what and by whom were the differing takes on the officiating?

Selection, it was a great tourney, and I wished your parents well before the game with Sparty, as I did with the MSU guys that sit near us. My montra with all opposing teams fans was "we need it more than you do" and no one disgreed, but no one agreed to roll over either. Your parents said your sentiment was the same.

It was a terrific tournament, and I will have a longer post on what went on, including an encounter Gopher Lady will be jealous of, later on tonight. I think it was the best ever in terms of quality of games and the Gophers' success. It was so good, we even connected with some Illinois fans who were not obnoxious!

I hope to be back again next year. We missed you this year. As much as it would be very cool to get to Milwaukee or any road first or second round, my need for advanced planning makes that virtually impossible. The BTT makes a nice runner-up, though.

Have fun in Providence.

I put no stock in anything Myrons says either. But I think our surge and Devoe's emergence certainly helps. Also, regardless of what he says, I don't think Calhoun will be at UConn much longer then another couple of years. Finally, Texas has been almost as big a disappointment as Minnesota this year and Barnes saying things like 'it's OK if we don't win championships, we produce NBA players' would not impress me all that much if I was anyone not a 1-and-done player.

Selection, it was a great tourney, and I wished your parents well before the game with Sparty, as I did with the MSU guys that sit near us. My montra with all opposing teams fans was "we need it more than you do" and no one disgreed, but no one agreed to roll over either. Your parents said your sentiment was the same.

It was a terrific tournament, and I will have a longer post on what went on, including an encounter Gopher Lady will be jealous of, later on tonight. I think it was the best ever in terms of quality of games and the Gophers' success. It was so good, we even connected with some Illinois fans who were not obnoxious!

I hope to be back again next year. We missed you this year. As much as it would be very cool to get to Milwaukee or any road first or second round, my need for advanced planning makes that virtually impossible. The BTT makes a nice runner-up, though.

Have fun in Providence.

Ditto. I only went to 4 Friday games but all 4 were dandy for spectators. Indy is a great venue for the event, and Conseco is a great basketball arena.

If Cory is interested in getting his fair share of pub, Minnesota might be his best shot. The headlines in every other story about the Gophers could be "The Joseph brothers in the back court"... "Two Canadian brothers"... McDonald's All American Cory J and his brother together starting for Minnesota. The talking heads of college basketball TV would eat it up and repeat it endlessly, every single game, over and over. The story almost writes itself.
I hope I have an opportunity to get sick of hearing about it.

If Cory is interested in getting his fair share of pub, Minnesota might be his best shot. The headlines in every other story about the Gophers could be "The Joseph brothers in the back court"... "Two Canadian brothers"... McDonald's All American Cory J and his brother together starting for Minnesota. The talking heads of college basketball TV would eat it up and repeat it endlessly, every single game, over and over. The story almost writes itself.
I hope I have an opportunity to get sick of hearing about it.

But when will they find time to show Blake's shots and discuss his ESPY? We cannot have those elbowed aside. I haven't seen them enough times yet. There also must be time for shots of the frozen Mississippi and discussion of how cold it is on every ESPN broadcast.

Wow...

From 10 days ago when a lot of people were saying this program had huge problems on its hands, to now playing a totally winnable game in the tournament, having Colton and Devoe definitively assert themselves as leaders for the years to come, and possibly reeling Cory in. College basketball blows my mind.

I'm not saying these guys should or will start, but Cory, Devoe, Blake, Trevor and Colton are five guys I really want to see on the floor together. Between shooting, slashing, pounding it down low and rebounding this seems like a very dangerous group.

I'm not why everyone is blasting Myron for this nugget. It's very consistent with the speculation that Cobbs may leave. I even mentioned before that Cobbs transferring may be indicative that Cory Joseph may be coming here. That's the only reason why I see Cobbs transferring.

Hope we get him. Its the kind of big name, out of state recruit we hardly ever get. Who was the last player of his stature from outside Minny that we landed? I assume he is a higher rated kid than Voshon Lenand was?

Devoe can flat out play, he has offensive skills we haven't seen in a Gopher for awhile. I would love to see these two play together when they are a senior/sophmore.

I'm not saying these guys should or will start, but Cory, Devoe, Blake, Trevor and Colton are five guys I really want to see on the floor together. Between shooting, slashing, pounding it down low and rebounding this seems like a very dangerous group.

I agree. Was actually thinking about that today when the Cory speculation came up again. It would be very solid and they could easily go big if necessary with Ralph or Carter replacing one of the guards. Also, still have Al (hopefully), Rodney and maybe Royce (big question mark there on both sides). Gophs would be at least 9 deep.

If both Cory and Trevor are on the team next year, I think they have a chance to be VERY good.

Anyway, go Gophs this weekend!!!!

What are the chances after Tubby leaves for Depaul?

Well, if you listen to a certain poster from Indiana, the move is imminent any time we lose a game.

For the rest of us, it's become a pretty funny joke, to which all I can add is this: LOL that's a good one!!!!:D

I think this weekend helped our chances as much as we could have hoped for.

From 10 days ago when a lot of people were saying this program had huge problems on its hands, to now playing a totally winnable game in the tournament, having Colton and Devoe definitively assert themselves as leaders for the years to come, and possibly reeling Cory in. College basketball blows my mind.

Is it college basketball or college basketball fans that blow your mind? The ups and downs of the game are part of the joy and sorrow of being a fan, but what happened to the Gophers is not unusual for this time of year. Teams that underachieved in the beginning hit their stride in March. Sophomores and sometimes freshmen grow in their confidence as the year moves on. The growth in our players, most notably Iverson, is not an unusual progression at all. We are just so used to our teams folding at this time of year that it seems it is the impossible dream, but these stories unfold almost every year. This time we are the story and it is great.

Perhaps the lesson for us fans is to not count out younger players because they go through a rough stretch. The brutal treatment of Iverson in particular at times has been awful. He is not a smooth player, but he has provided strength and work ethic all year, even if the stats haven't been great. His hard work paid of this weekend, and I look forward to two more consistent years from him.

I repeat...Hopefully Devoe explains to his younger brother how much he (Devoe) needs him on this team. Devoe will Shine far Brighter as a number 2 with his little brother running the point than he ever could with Nolan or Cobbs running the point. Westbrook is gone. It's now Devoe's team. He needs his brother. Hopefully blood wins out.

This could be an awesome team next year if CJo commits and we get the missing links back.

I repeat...Hopefully Devoe explains to his younger brother how much he (Devoe) needs him on this team. Devoe will Shine far Brighter as a number 2 with his little brother running the point than he ever could with Nolan or Cobbs running the point. Westbrook is gone. It's now Devoe's team. He needs his brother. Hopefully blood wins out.

This could be an awesome team next year if CJo commits and we get the missing links back.

+1 for the "CJo" moniker.

Joseph and Joseph. That duo could be an amazing backcourt!

You have to wonder if they both did not grow up thinking about such a possibility.

Go Gophers!!

:clap::clap::clap:

When are recruits allowed to "commit" again?

NM

I agree. Was actually thinking about that today when the Cory speculation came up again. It would be very solid and they could easily go big if necessary with Ralph or Carter replacing one of the guards. Also, still have Al (hopefully), Rodney and maybe Royce (big question mark there on both sides). Gophs would be at least 9 deep.

If both Cory and Trevor are on the team next year, I think they have a chance to be VERY good.

FWIW from Sid;

There is a very good chance Trevor Mbakwe will have his legal problems cleared up before next year, and the presence of the 6-8, 240-pound forward will give the Gophers a rebounder like they haven't had this year. Then if former Minnesota Mr. Basketball Royce White gets his life straightened out and rejoins the team, his 6-8, 249-pound body will be another big plus for the team. Point guard Al Nolen, who had academic problems, is now doing better in the classroom and will be eligible again next year.

The Gophers' strong finish strong and Devoe Joseph's development into one of the better point guards in the Big Ten might help in the recruiting of Devoe's brother, Corey Joseph.

Yet another guy who can't spell Cory's name correctly... and I also believe Al will not *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# up his grades again.

this past week certainly didn't hurt MN chances with Cory but there are still some issues to play out before he makes a decision but we're still in the game.

Top Bottom