MSHSL Boys Basketball State Tournament Thread

I believe the breakdown is 64 AAAA, 64 AAA, Top Half remaining AA, Bottom Half Remaining A. So going to 3 classes makes sense combining AAAA and AAA. However, with baseball and other sports expanding to 4 classes, I don't see it.

16 teams at state would push the blowouts out another round and get the best 8 teams to quarterfinals. (I don't really favor this.) Probably have to get computers involved and have at-large berths. Probably not feasible. One way to possibly do things is to draw a line across the state along the 94/394 corridor and have a north vs south vibe to state.

Agree no matter what, people will complain.
The breakdown is 64 in 4A, 64 in 3A, 128 in 2A, and everyone else in A.

Did you see Tibbits's coast-to-coast drive weaving at full speed? The kid can fly on the court and that might be the difference in championship game. I think they win based on tougher tests all season long. The skill and speed these top teams play at is outstanding.
I think it depends on the officiating, if they let Park Center body up and grab on to the Wayzata guards it is going to be tough for Wayzata physically to match up. If they call a tighter game it really benefits Wayzata who is a much better shooting team. Tibbits is a gamer, that kid can play.

I think it depends on the officiating, if they let Park Center body up and grab on to the Wayzata guards it is going to be tough for Wayzata physically to match up. If they call a tighter game it really benefits Wayzata who is a much better shooting team. Tibbits is a gamer, that kid can play.
I still say we should throw an offer at him. I think he will be good enough to play in the Big 10.

I still say we should throw an offer at him. I think he will be good enough to play in the Big 10.
The concern would be can he guard someone in the Big Ten. He would be instant offense for sure. I love the fact that he penetrates and pulls up for a jump shot. He is deadly and it is hard to defend. I would love to get someone like that as a preferred walkon but that is not going to happen.

The concern would be can he guard someone in the Big Ten. He would be instant offense for sure. I love the fact that he penetrates and pulls up for a jump shot. He is deadly and it is hard to defend. I would love to get someone like that as a preferred walkon but that is not going to happen.
I think he'd struggle on defense but I think he'd be one of those annoying guys to play against and he's actually a bit better built than most basketball players.

But you're right, he would struggle on defense.

I was at the RTR - Cherry matchup and thought I'd share some thoughts on Asuma, since it seems maybe the broadcast left something to be desired...Full disclosure: I'm an RTR grad so I'm sure there's some bias here.

His greatest offensive strength right now is a straight-line drive. RTR tried to take this away by selling out with the on-ball defender after he committed in one direction. They did get a pair of offensive foul calls. From my distant seat I thought the refs shot 50% on those calls. In the second half, Cherry did a better job of clearing out which gave him space to spin and use his footwork rather than go directly to the basket. I would expect to see more advanced ball-handling from him in the future as his game develops.

I also think Asuma shows a high basketball IQ. He had a good sense of where his teammates were on the floor and willingly moved the ball. He also was a strong help defender throughout the game, blocking and influencing shots around the basket, making a great play to force a jump ball, and he would have had a help-side steal if not for a foul call on a teammate.

I did find it interesting that he didn't look for his jump shot all that much outside 10 feet. Though I think a lot of that is because his team lacked another facilitator and him collapsing the defense was a reliable way to find shots. Cherry really struggled to generate consistent offense with him on the bench.

As for the foul calls, I think MaxyJr had it right earlier in the thread. Asuma was definitely the best athlete on the floor and often encountered opposition that also was not nearly as strong. It was clear that the officials struggled with how to navigate that. On the jump ball I mentioned above, the ref appeared to blow his whistle expecting to call a foul and managed to switch his call on the fly. Asuma had the ball to himself by the time the call was made.

Excited for him to be a Gopher in 18 months or so and to watch my HS play for a title tomorrow.

Asuma is long and athletic, passes well, but…….cannot shoot and doesn’t have a Big Ten point guard handles. Could be good in time but needs work. Cherry has everybody back so we’ll get a better idea of his potential as the summer and next season progress.

Agree it’s crazy. His coach confirmed no offers
I think it's an example of people being obsessed with the profile and focusing on what he can't do. I've seen him on the floor with plenty of high end P5 type guys, and he belongs. He often shines.

I can't imagine how someone like him, even if his entire career is coming off the bench and being the most hated player for the fans of the teams we play against, wouldn't help our program.

This Kapke kid from Holy Family would've been a good get. Wonder why we didn't offer him. Going to Butler.

Genuinely how many times is Dave Lee going to say “look at this”?

I really wish the private schools had their own 1 or 2 divisions. Kid of boring watching Totino disinterested for most of a game to just turn it on at the end and win by double digits.
Totino grace should quite simply opt up in hoops.
Meanwhile….their football team is 4a next year probably

Scores from Friday:

Class A (semis)
R-T-R 61, Cherry 57
New Life Academy 51, Spring Grove 35

Class 2A: (semis)
Minnehaha Academy 76, Holy Family 72 (ot)
Albany 79, D-G-F 64

Schedule for Saturday:
Class A:
Nevis vs Sacred Heart - 5th place (8am)
Cherry vs Spring Grove - 3rd place (10am)
R-T-R vs New Life Academy - Championship (11am)

Class 2A:
Holy Family vs D-G-F - 3rd place (noon)
Minnehaha Academy vs Albany - Championship (1pm)

Class 3A:
Alexandria vs Orono - 3rd Place (2pm)
Totino-Grace vs DeLaSalle - Championship (5pm)

Class 4A:
Eastview vs Lakeville North - 3rd place (4pm)
Park Center vs Wayzata - Championship (8pm)

(3rd & 5th-place games at Concordia-St. Paul; Championship games at Target Center)

The Gophers are famous for missing on good back-up B10 Guards from MSHSL……. Tibbits would be a great 3rd / 4th G off the bench: instant energy, steals, push the ball, etc. Not an All-Star, agreed, but an obvious great push for the team in practice / games with quickness. I said the same exact thing about Rosga (Denver U approx ‘16) and M. Wright (Colorado approx ‘20, now w/ Dallas Mavs) and Ryan Larson (Charleston College ‘23. Conf Tourn. MVP).

Unreal how they miss this stuff. ***Again, not all-conference, but very good off the bench, then accent with players not from MN.***

I think it's an example of people being obsessed with the profile and focusing on what he can't do. I've seen him on the floor with plenty of high end P5 type guys, and he belongs. He often shines.

I can't imagine how someone like him, even if his entire career is coming off the bench and being the most hated player for the fans of the teams we play against, wouldn't help our program.
You guys are nuts!!! So you want a 5’9 guard with no offers to get his first offer from the Gophers??? You guys are delusional and clueless. Not to mention…

No, not nuts….. Program just needs a ‘spark’ and some ‘spunk’ to the program. Seems like a real spark plug, even as a 4th Guard off bench for 2 min stretches…….. can see him dishing to P. Payne very easily, (as a preferred walk-on with ability to ‘earn scholy’)

As far as ‘no’ offers, that’s going to change Monday a.m. UMD as a 4yr. starter would be perfect. Guessing Summit League team/s calling Monday a.m.

Isn’t this the kind of diamond in the rough under the the radar over achieving and whatever other cliches we want to add guy that a developmental program needs?

If he’s as good as observers say and has no offers, are there other reasons coaches are hesitating?

I mean Tibbits played AAU last summer and wasn’t even the best guard on his team. His performance at Wayzata doesn’t prove he can play in the Big Ten. It’s not like he is playing vs a bunch of D1 or 2 players during the high school season

It's his intensity, his swagger, his confidence that he can and will get the job done is what is so interesting. I agree so much of recruiting is based on size, athleticism, etc. byassing the actual basketball skills.

Is it AAU program exposure that is limiting his recruitment, he's a mid major guy for sure.

Last edited:

It's his intensity, his swagger, his confidence that he can and will get the job done is what is so interesting. I agree so much of recruiting is based on size, athleticism, etc. byassing the actual basketball skills.

Is it AAU program exposure that is limiting his recruitment, he's a mid major guy for sure.
Tell that to Markquis Nowell. Listed at 5'8" (which is probably a stretch). Playing on one leg bested MSU. He's got talent, to be sure, but is a hustler and a leader. Luckily K Stste didn't judge him by his height.

No, not nuts….. Program just needs a ‘spark’ and some ‘spunk’ to the program. Seems like a real spark plug, even as a 4th Guard off bench for 2 min stretches…….. can see him dishing to P. Payne very easily, (as a preferred walk-on with ability to ‘earn scholy’)

As far as ‘no’ offers, that’s going to change Monday a.m. UMD as a 4yr. starter would be perfect. Guessing Summit League team/s calling Monday a.m.
Is the coach saying "no offers" period, or no D1 offers. I have a very hard time believing no NSIC or MIAC school has reached out. I've seen much worse players get NAIA offers at least.

There is another possibility, and that's that the kid has attitude issues. I'm sure AAU coaches talk, and know more than we do. I've never seen anything to that effect watching him play, but you never know.

Top Bottom