MSHSL Boys Basketball State Tournament Thread

I want to believe dls beats TG but man, they are so unbelievably reliant on Whitlock offensively, like literally no one else can create their own shot

Witt the HC has kids on the team and played for Morris Area. His brother played QB at Minnesota State and with Kevin Loge at Morris. He's a really good coach.

Forrest Witt one of the better Huskies hoopers of all-time. His kid will be tough. Nice program at Alex.

I really wish the private schools had their own 1 or 2 divisions. Kid of boring watching Totino disinterested for most of a game to just turn it on at the end and win by double digits.

at one time, the private schools were not part of the MSHSL, and held a separate state tournament. I know that Augsburg College hosted the tournament one year in the mid-70's, because I watched Rochester Lourdes play in the finals. after some checking, I think the private schools joined in '75 - because that was the first year DeLaSalle played in the State Tourney.

in a separate note - Alexandria has a Sophomore named Thompson - looks like he could develop into a decent player. Is he related to Treyton Thompson? I thought I heard Dave Lee say he was TT's younger brother, but it was Dave Lee, so I'm not sure I trust him.

at one time, the private schools were not part of the MSHSL, and held a separate state tournament. I know that Augsburg College hosted the tournament one year in the mid-70's, because I watched Rochester Lourdes play in the finals. after some checking, I think the private schools joined in '75 - because that was the first year DeLaSalle played in the State Tourney.

in a separate note - Alexandria has a Sophomore named Thompson - looks like he could develop into a decent player. Is he related to Treyton Thompson? I thought I heard Dave Lee say he was TT's younger brother, but it was Dave Lee, so I'm not sure I trust him.
don’t blame you for not trusting Lee but yes he is Treytons younger brother

Somewhere in that era they usually played at the old Minneapolis Auditorium. Austin Pacelli and Cretin had some epic battles. Jack Pieck for Cretin was only about 5 basketballs tall but he was really good!!!
Story of one of those games

yup his brother.
Alex is top heavy with legit basketball players coming through all the way down to 8th grade. They will be a very very talented group next year.

Tibbetts and McAndrew for Wayzata would be nice role players for the Gophers
McAndrew is still a junior and allegedly has six D1 offers, including Wisconsin and Iowa. I don't know if the Gophers offered him.

There is so little out there about Tibbits recruiting and offers. I've mentioned it here before, my guess is he has a bunch of D2/3 offers, but is holding out hope for a D1 opportunity, and that height is holding him back. Been watching him all season - the kid is one of the best pure shooters I've seen. He could find a fit on almost any team.

McAndrew is still a junior and allegedly has six D1 offers, including Wisconsin and Iowa. I don't know if the Gophers offered him.

There is so little out there about Tibbits recruiting and offers. I've mentioned it here before, my guess is he has a bunch of D2/3 offers, but is holding out hope for a D1 opportunity, and that height is holding him back. Been watching him all season - the kid is one of the best pure shooters I've seen. He could find a fit on almost any team.
Did you see Tibbits's coast-to-coast drive weaving at full speed? The kid can fly on the court and that might be the difference in championship game. I think they win based on tougher tests all season long. The skill and speed these top teams play at is outstanding.

Did you see Tibbits's coast-to-coast drive weaving at full speed? The kid can fly on the court and that might be the difference in championship game. I think they win based on tougher tests all season long. The skill and speed these top teams play at is outstanding.
Oh yes. There's a reason he's top five all metro. So much fun to watch.

Not exactly impressed with Asuma at the 1A level start here.

Have we offered the younger brother yet? Only partially kidding. Yikes. He's scored all 9 points for Cherry on three 3-pointers. Nice looking stroke. Only a freshman.

If you can believe Dave Lee, etc he already has baseball offers. from Iowa and Minnesota.

Asuma and Cherry tipping off in a few minutes
Younger brother looks more poised and under control. 3-3 from 3 and all 9 points for younger brother. Hard to tell in the 1A games where teams are so scrappy and play lacks flow. Isaac has lost dribble multiple times, slipped, not been good so far.

Have we offered the younger brother yet? Only partially kidding. Yikes. He's scored all 9 points for Cherry on three 3-pointers. Nice looking stroke. Only a freshman.

If you can believe Dave Lee, etc he already has baseball offers. from Iowa and Minnesota.
Saw a tweet last week about how they traveled hours last Saturday for baseball training. Brother must be pretty good.

Asuma just picked up his 2nd foul with about 5 minutes left in the 1st half. Heading to the bench. Both fouls were really questionable.

Uff da Dave Lee is awful to listen to! Can't we find someone else to do the small schools, he's maybe more in tune with the bigger schools but not out state. He's got 3 bullet points for each school and hammers them home all nite.

Uff da Dave Lee is awful to listen to! Can't we find someone else to do the small schools, he's maybe more in tune with the bigger schools but not out state. He's got 3 bullet points for each school and hammers them home all nite.
It's true.....I THINK Asuma picked up his 2nd foul, but I'm not sure because Dave was off on some tangent and didn't bother to mention it.

He is the real deal as a baseball player for sure.

Asuma continuing to struggle. First time I've seen him play and it's just 1 game, but doesn't necessarily look like he'll be ready to roll from the get go at the U. More of a project.

Would like to see him be more dominant at the A level.

Just picked up his 4th (2 offensive and 2 ball scrambles)....seriously should have no fouls. Dave Lee doesn't even mention it (he just said he has 3 pretty sure he has 4).

these refs really don’t like cherry haha

Isaac having a much better 2nd half. 3 point game with 2 minutes left

these refs really don’t like cherry haha

Isaac having a much better 2nd half. 3 point game with 2 minutes left
A bit of an inconsistently officiated game. Advantage/disadvantage, athleticism all play into it.

Asuma definitely better than many of the RTR kids so that’s good.

He's got a whole summer and senior season to develop before college. Nuts and bolts are there and it's probably pretty hard to gauge when he seems to be a team guy. Showed little emotion the whole game.

Asuma's game is understated if that makes sense. He was being too unselfish the 1st half. He handles the ball well, but not great. Good looking jumper, but he didn't make any. In the second half he decided to take over and was nearly unstoppable, but he probably waited too long.

Never could tell how many fouls he had. Sat a lot of 1st and 2nd halves with foul trouble, but Dave Lee never told us how many fouls he actually had. They were pretty suspect calls.

Cherry will obviously be back next year.

Top Bottom