Movies that hold up vs. those that don't

Holds up:

Three Days of the Condor, Jeremiah Johnson (although both are way, way better on the big screen, especially Johnson).

Also, kudos to the poster who mentioned Twelve Monkeys.

I've also been mining You Tube recently to watch older movies, but going way back to the '30s and '40s and mostly comedies--I've found them to be a good way to end my nights before turning into bed. A lot of Cary Grant available there-His Girl Friday, Bringing Up Baby as examples and also some other old gems such as My Man Godfrey, The Mating Season, Harvey are on there too. Also a lot of film noir and some Hitchcock (in the middle of Notorious, right now).

I agree, in fact he reason I had to expand the selection, was that I was DVRing every TCM Classic I could find the well was running dry. In fact, I watch every pre-comment that Eddie guy gives every Noir Alley film now as they are always great.

TCM Classic is the best and anything "pre-code' 1934 and before is gold.. Seek out any pre-code movie you can find. (Red Headed Woman, ect) Those pre-censorship movies are the best. Honest, direct, earthy... no BS phony NYC BS..... No Ward Cleaver BS here. Barbara Stanwyck made a whole bunch, and Babyface is beyond great.

These pre- code movies remind me of late 60's early 70s movies since they are very honest, brutal and tough.

The post code 40s and early 50s noir movies are great to watch, but you always know the "bad" person is always going to die at the end... thank you decency code.

Last edited:

I deleted this, but this one still makes me feel like a high school kid in a tiny town.

For the record, I was in 9th grade, and the PA town as sort of big on the TV.
Very under-rated movie.

Finished Sling Blade (1996) yesterday. Such a great film. Only saw it once when it first came out. Holds up well and I highly recommend watching it again (or for the first time).
Dwight Yoakam doesn't get talked about enough for that acting performance. Some people get all the talent.

Finished Sling Blade (1996) yesterday. Such a great film. Only saw it once when it first came out. Holds up well and I highly recommend watching it again (or for the first time).

"Sure do like them french-fried potaters, mmmmmmm-hm."

The original Blade Runner, released in 1982, was the best science fiction movie I ever saw, and one of my favorite films from any genre. I think it holds up extremely well.

Surprisingly, the sequel, Blade Runner 2049, released in 2017, was up to the same standard, unlike many sequels. Very, very good.

The original Blade Runner, released in 1982, was the best science fiction movie I ever saw, and one of my favorite films from any genre. I think it holds up extremely well.

Surprisingly, the sequel, Blade Runner 2049, released in 2017, was up to the same standard, unlike many sequels. Very, very good.
I feel the same way.

Fantastic movie.

Yeah, I went into Blade Runner 2049 expecting to be disappointed but it was a very good movie.

Usual Suspects is at the top of my list regardless of genre.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Last House on the Left, the original Evil Dead and The Exorcist never fail to float my boat.

When comedy is the mood, Tommyboy, Animal House and Caddyshack lead the pack for me.

Twister and Road House are pretty cheesy but for some reason, my remote batteries always die when I stumble upon them while channel surfing.

Usual Suspects is at the top of my list regardless of genre.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Last House on the Left, the original Evil Dead and The Exorcist never fail to float my boat.

When comedy is the mood, Tommyboy, Animal House and Caddyshack lead the pack for me.

Twister and Road House are pretty cheesy but for some reason, my remote batteries always die when I stumble upon them while channel surfing.
I'll hate-watch Twister.

"The extreme is extreme".

Agree. Both movies are very good. Helps when the source material is strong and you have Ridley Scott directing. Denis Villeneuve did 2049 and had already directed the excellent Sicario and Arrival. Gives me hope that Dune will be good as well.

"Sure do like them french-fried potaters, mmmmmmm-hm."
alright-then.jpg

Speaking of Jurassic Park, I just reread the book to see if it's age-appropriate for my sons (5th grade). The part where the little compy eats the baby's face off: NOT age-appropriate. Book is a lot more gruesome than the movie, so I think we'll wait.

As for holding up, I think the movie holds up much better than the book. Crichton is a very "technical" writer (vs. character development, dialogue, scene setting, etc.). Technology that was new at the time obviously isn't new anymore, like describing what a CD-ROM is or how touch screens are foreign to the characters. The overall cautionary tale holds up, just not the details. Spielberg does a much better job of telling a more "timeless" story.

Also, you get a sense of the passive sexism everyone is talking about now. For instance, in the narrative he refers to the male adult characters by last name. But he refers to Ellie Sattler by her first name, same as the kids. She spends most of the book nursing Malcolm, though she does do some adventuring in the end. In the book, Lex is just a bratty little kid. Spielberg does a much better job with the female characters. I'm certainly not saying cancel Crichton. But you kind of get a sense of that passive sexism we didn't even really notice a couple decades ago.

Anyway...that's a long-winded way of saying the movie holds up better than the book. Though both are still good.

actually a "movie vs the book" thread might be interesting. "Jaws" would be another good example. The movie cut out most of the sub-plots from the book, including the sequence where Hooper had an affair with Brody's wife.

actually a "movie vs the book" thread might be interesting. "Jaws" would be another good example. The movie cut out most of the sub-plots from the book, including the sequence where Hooper had an affair with Brody's wife.
Maybe for the better. That seems like unnecessary drama.

Just finished Seven (with Pitt and Freeman) yesterday. I saw it once when it came out and thought it was great. It still was good, but since I already knew the ending, I didn't really enjoy it as much as I thought I would. Kevin Spacey was incredible though. He is the most talented actor at playing bad people I have ever seen.

Just finished Seven (with Pitt and Freeman) yesterday. I saw it once when it came out and thought it was great. It still was good, but since I already knew the ending, I didn't really enjoy it as much as I thought I would. Kevin Spacey was incredible though. He is the most talented actor at playing bad people I have ever seen.

Brad Pitt is in some great movies. I just rewatched Moneyball last night. I know some of the facts are fudged....but what a great movie....and what an unbelievable story.

I happened to go to one of the ALDS games against the Athletics that year. And I'm sure I knew it....but I had forgotten that the Twins were also the ones to snap Oakland's AL record 20 game winning streak.

Brad Pitt is in some great movies. I just rewatched Moneyball last night. I know some of the facts are fudged....but what a great movie....and what an unbelievable story.

I happened to go to one of the ALDS games against the Athletics that year. And I'm sure I knew it....but I had forgotten that the Twins were also the ones to snap Oakland's AL record 20 game winning streak.
It is a really good movie, but your right on a few of the details, like having a rotation of Hudson, Mulder & Zito in their prime was as responsible as "Moneyball".

Just rewatched Get Shorty last night. Holds up well. Travolta at his quirky finest, Gene Hackman, Gandolfini, Delroy Lindo, Danny DeVito, and of course Rene Russo at her peak. I love Elmore Leonard, and this film was apapted to the big screen really well.

Just rewatched Get Shorty last night. Holds up well. Travolta at his quirky finest, Gene Hackman, Gandolfini, Delroy Lindo, Danny DeVito, and of course Rene Russo at her peak. I love Elmore Leonard, and this film was apapted to the big screen really well.

Yeah, I agree on Get Shorty. And I'm an Elmore Leonard fan too. Have you seen Justified, with Timothy Oliphant?

Yeah, I agree on Get Shorty. And I'm an Elmore Leonard fan too. Have you seen Justified, with Timothy Oliphant?
Outside of The Wire, Justified is my favorite drama of all-time. It doesn’t have the same acclaim as other shows, but the writing is brilliant, the acting (particularly Oliphant and Walton Goggles as Boyd) as good as it gets and it rides the line between action and humor wonderfully.

Top Bottom