Movies that hold up vs. those that don't

These still hold up for me, probably due partially to nostalgia, but I still find them incredibly fun and engaging to watch--The Warriors has a great plot and Slap Shot has the Hanson brothers and Reg Dunlap--sorry CRG, they're timeless.

I challenge you to watch Slap Shot twice in the same week, start to finish.

When Slap Shot came out, I was in college and doing work-study at the school hockey rink. The hockey people were really divided on the movie. Some people thought it was making fun of hockey and they were really mad. Others thought it was hilarious. that's the thing about comedy. It either works for you or it doesn't. an action movie or a drama can be so-so, but comedy is subjective, so you either like it or you don't.

Back to the Future I holds up well, although there are a few parts that might be a bit cringeworthy in today's culture. Back to the Future II is still a decent movie but doesn't hold up as well for a variety of reasons, including that any movie that predicates a distant future that has already past and which very little of it came true is destined for issues with the test of time. The storyline in II is also a little bonkers in terms of probability and timing. Back to the Future III holds out OK and remains good fun. Great Scott!
FWIW, I think III is the best of the trilogy. I gets a little weird with the parents stuff (even when it first came out). II is just not very good. But III is a lot of fun with Lloyd & Fox in the old west. Story & acting actually feel the most sound in III. IMHO...

Already addressed by Ope, but why would I do that? :) Here's the movies that I watch twice in the same week these days: 101 Dalmatians, Togo, penguin and prairie dog docs-Disney+ gets a hell of a workout with the 3 year olds. Adult movies, not so much.

But even if I could, there's so few movies I'd choose to watch, start to finish, more than once a year and most of those are "special event" type movies-Christmas Story, Last Waltz for Thanksgiving, Dazed & Confused on or around the last day of school, etc. etc. Of course I'd be grinding by teeth with Slap Shot twice in the same week, but I'd probably feel the same with the Godfathers, Die Hard, Caddyshack, etc. etc.

Already addressed by Ope, but why would I do that? :) Here's the movies that I watch twice in the same week these days: 101 Dalmatians, Togo, penguin and prairie dog docs-Disney+ gets a hell of a workout with the 3 year olds. Adult movies, not so much.
Coco was probably the last movie I watched twice in the same week. Still would now. Best of the Pixar movies and deserves to be regarded along side The Godfather and Citizen Kane, IMHO.

Back when the first laser discs came out, a buddy of mine bought a laser disc player. (mind you - not a DVD player - the old laser discs that were the size of a record album) But, there weren't a lot of discs available yet, so he only had a couple of movies, including "Animal House" and "Close Encounters." so it was every night, have a few beers and watch one of those movies. after a while, I could pretty much do all of the dialogue by heart. FWIW, he had a set of Bose 901's hanging from his ceiling, and "Close Encounters" sounded great when the soundtrack was cranked up.

Are you saying holds up or doesn't? One of my all time favorites, though haven't seen it in a while. Maybe this weekend I'll see how if holds up.
Holds up...I like all of his movies although they are kinda the same music.

I just watched Trading Places. Now with the rating for violence, nudity, language etc I noticed a different one for the first time: Outdated Cultural Depiction.

I am sure it was tagged with that due to Billy Ray using a homophobic slur, Mortimer dropping the n-word, and Louis going blackface on the train. With that said, those shouldn't detract from nature vs nurture theme which drives the story, IMO. Also interesting observations on greed and insider trading. I think I just now finally understand what the Dukes were up to and exactly how Louis & Billy Ray thwarted them.

As far as the comedy/story, I still found it hilarious. It also features great supporting performances from Jamie Lee Curtis and Denholm Elliott. That holds up well.

"Hey, Mor-Tay! What it is. I'm Billy Ray Valentine. Capricorn."

I just watched Trading Places. Now with the rating for violence, nudity, language etc I noticed a different one for the first time: Outdated Cultural Depiction.

I am sure it was tagged with that due to Billy Ray using a homophobic slur, Mortimer dropping the n-word, and Louis going blackface on the train. With that said, those shouldn't detract from nature vs nurture theme which drives the story, IMO. Also interesting observations on greed and insider trading. I think I just now finally understand what the Dukes were up to and exactly how Louis & Billy Ray thwarted them.

As far as the comedy/story, I still found it hilarious. It also features great supporting performances from Jamie Lee Curtis and Denholm Elliott. That holds up well.

"Hey, Mor-Tay! What it is. I'm Billy Ray Valentine. Capricorn."

Dan Ackroyd dressed as Santa Claus, on the bus, drunk, with a salmon stuck to his beard - one of the great comedy scenes of all time.

Watched Snatch this weekend. Holds up for me. You know how guys have their go-to movie quotes? Snatch is that movie for me. Like while I'm cooking breakfast, "What's happening with those sausages, Charlie? Five minutes, Turkish. It was two minutes five minutes ago." Or when a coworker calls out to me as I walk by, "You stop me again whilst I'm walking, and I'll cut your f*cking jacobs off".

Watched Snatch this weekend. Holds up for me. You know how guys have their go-to movie quotes? Snatch is that movie for me. Like while I'm cooking breakfast, "What's happening with those sausages, Charlie? Five minutes, Turkish. It was two minutes five minutes ago." Or when a coworker calls out to me as I walk by, "You stop me again whilst I'm walking, and I'll cut your f*cking jacobs off".
That's funny.There was some comedy movie about a fast food joint where there were a couple of kids that were wannabe gangsters. One would pull out a knife and say "don't think I won't cut you, Dawg!" I was using that for a while.
In fact....was working nights at a big ass data center near Omaha. Had just got a brand new knife and it was very sharp. It was a quick opening type one, so I could pull it out and have it open in a heartbeat. This guy I was working with said something and I pulled out my knife and did the
"Don't think I won't cut you, Dawg!" bit. Then he made some kind of motion like he wasn't afraid. Was just going to swipe near him, ended up miscalculating slightly and sliced his high visibility vest, his t-shirt underneath and for some goofy reason he had on two t-shirts and it never got through the second one. Thank goodness. Really like the line, but it's lost some of it's attraction to me.

That's funny.There was some comedy movie about a fast food joint where there were a couple of kids that were wannabe gangsters. One would pull out a knife and say "don't think I won't cut you, Dawg!" I was using that for a while.
In fact....was working nights at a big ass data center near Omaha. Had just got a brand new knife and it was very sharp. It was a quick opening type one, so I could pull it out and have it open in a heartbeat. This guy I was working with said something and I pulled out my knife and did the
"Don't think I won't cut you, Dawg!" bit. Then he made some kind of motion like he wasn't afraid. Was just going to swipe near him, ended up miscalculating slightly and sliced his high visibility vest, his t-shirt underneath and for some goofy reason he had on two t-shirts and it never got through the second one. Thank goodness. Really like the line, but it's lost some of it's attraction to me.
Remind me to never cross you.

I recently finished our basement (as much as I can at least) and dug out the old VCR/DVD combo player. I kept all of our old VHS tapes from the 80's on and have about 200 of them total. I decided that I would start going through them as I exercise. Most of the movies I have watched are from the 90's. Here is what I have completed and if they have aged well or not.

Snatch: Still great.

To Die For: Still really good. I kind of forgot how big a star Nicole Kidman was in the mid 90's.

12 Monkeys: I love Terry Gilliam movies and this one still holds up.

Pulp Fiction: Classic. Haven't seen it in over 20 years and liked everything about it.

LA Confidential: So many stars in this one. Kind of forgot about it. Still holds up.

Barbarella: 60's Psychedelic classic. Jane Fonda is the only reason to watch this.

Metropolitan: Early 90's film about the debutante culture that was dying off in the late 80's and early 90's. I didn't like it as much as I originally did, but it is still a quality film.

Platoon: I have seen this one so many times that I still knew every scene by heart even though it has been over 20 years since I saw it last. Still a great look at the war and how individuals fit in it.

I recently finished our basement (as much as I can at least) and dug out the old VCR/DVD combo player. I kept all of our old VHS tapes from the 80's on and have about 200 of them total. I decided that I would start going through them as I exercise. Most of the movies I have watched are from the 90's. Here is what I have completed and if they have aged well or not.

Snatch: Still great.

To Die For: Still really good. I kind of forgot how big a star Nicole Kidman was in the mid 90's.

12 Monkeys: I love Terry Gilliam movies and this one still holds up.

Pulp Fiction: Classic. Haven't seen it in over 20 years and liked everything about it.

LA Confidential: So many stars in this one. Kind of forgot about it. Still holds up.

Barbarella: 60's Psychedelic classic. Jane Fonda is the only reason to watch this.

Metropolitan: Early 90's film about the debutante culture that was dying off in the late 80's and early 90's. I didn't like it as much as I originally did, but it is still a quality film.

Platoon: I have seen this one so many times that I still knew every scene by heart even though it has been over 20 years since I saw it last. Still a great look at the war and how individuals fit in it.
To Die For is so great. Criminally underrated.

LA Confidential is also one of my favorites.

Sounds like I need to see 'To Die For'.

Also....I don't think this movie ever held up...as it has been universally panned by everyone who saw it....and the director was a French graphics designer named Pitof. Catwoman. Now I never saw it....but I unfortunately came across the basketball scene. ....what?

somewhat off-topic, but I recently discovered that a lot of the old Siskel and Ebert shows are available on Youtube - going all the way back to the "Sneak Previews" days. So I've been going back and watching to see what they said about different films. The episodes I love are when they do their "dogs of the year" and unload on bad movies, or the shows with "Guilty Pleasures" where they talk about off-beat movies they like.

somewhat off-topic, but I recently discovered that a lot of the old Siskel and Ebert shows are available on Youtube - going all the way back to the "Sneak Previews" days. So I've been going back and watching to see what they said about different films. The episodes I love are when they do their "dogs of the year" and unload on bad movies, or the shows with "Guilty Pleasures" where they talk about off-beat movies they like.
It was one of my all-time favorite TV shows. Also off topic, but it's pretty clear that Pardon the Interruption took essentially the same format and adapted it to sports talkers of the day. The hosts have acknowledged it themselves.

I am so bored that I expanded my YoutubeTV options lately, so I get a lot more movie archives to stream from, and have started seeking out movies from the early 70s and bit later.. I have found a few great ones I may have heard of but never bothered to watch starring Gene Hackman, Roy Schneider, Jeff Bridges, and others. (in the middle of Cisco Pike 1971, Hackman, Kris Kristofferson, Karen Black) right now.

Most of these are crime themed, with a lot '70s counter culture inspiration. Some of these same actors made some absolutely awful movies in the early 80s. (Charles Bronson). Thankfully Clint Eastwood continued to make great movies throughout the 80s and beyond.

Many of these movies capture the old dirty New York City, or the hippie era LA or SF in a vivid way.

FWIW, I think III is the best of the trilogy. I gets a little weird with the parents stuff (even when it first came out). II is just not very good. But III is a lot of fun with Lloyd & Fox in the old west. Story & acting actually feel the most sound in III. IMHO...
II has a massive plot hole that completely breaks the story.

Those who like Snatch, definitely recommend you check out Layer Cake.

Similar-ish kind of vibe.

I'm just going to plop these down as I think of them.

We used to watch movies every Friday night when the kids were growing up, and it was a combo of newer releases and oldies that my wife and I remembered. The one that stands out as not aging well was the original "Benji." Y'all might disagree, but what a lame-ass movie. At one point my wife and I looked at each other like, do we have to watch the rest of this?

III is the worst of the serious. It's the only one of them by far. The key to a good time travel movie is that the writers need to follow the rules they've created. Like, I'll suspend disbelief, go ahead and make the rules of time travel, but now you have to follow them.

III jumps the shark (for me).

III is the worst of the serious. It's the only one of them by far. The key to a good time travel movie is that the writers need to follow the rules they've created. Like, I'll suspend disbelief, go ahead and make the rules of time travel, but now you have to follow them.

III jumps the shark (for me).
II completely and totally broke the rules of time travel that they set later in the same movie.

Far worse than III.

Two movies that hold up really well are "Animal House" and "Ordinary People." I was living overseas when "Animal House" came out and I saw it in a local theatre. The audience was about half Americans and half local. The Americans were going nuts and the locals were stone silent.

I am so bored that I expanded my YoutubeTV options lately, so I get a lot more movie archives to stream from, and have started seeking out movies from the early 70s and bit later.. I have found a few great ones I may have heard of but never bothered to watch starring Gene Hackman, Roy Schneider, Jeff Bridges, and others. (in the middle of Cisco Pike 1971, Hackman, Kris Kristofferson, Karen Black) right now.

Most of these are crime themed, with a lot '70s counter culture inspiration. Some of these same actors made some absolutely awful movies in the early 80s. (Charles Bronson). Thankfully Clint Eastwood continued to make great movies throughout the 80s and beyond.

Many of these movies capture the old dirty New York City, or the hippie era LA or SF in a vivid way.
I've also been mining You Tube recently to watch older movies, but going way back to the '30s and '40s and mostly comedies--I've found them to be a good way to end my nights before turning into bed. A lot of Cary Grant available there-His Girl Friday, Bringing Up Baby as examples and also some other old gems such as My Man Godfrey, The Mating Season, Harvey are on there too. Also a lot of film noir and some Hitchcock (in the middle of Notorious, right now).

Top Bottom