Movies that hold up vs. those that don't

Having been snowed in the past few days, I decided to revisit Sixteen Candles.

I still laughed numerous times even though I totally knew what the jokes were going to be. Well worth the 90 minutes to fill my time with a HS movie that I think rivals Fast Times from that era.

Thought of the day, John Cusack was stuck in HS from 1983 (Class) when he was 17 all the way to 1989 with Say Anything.

I still laughed numerous times even though I totally knew what the jokes were going to be. Well worth the 90 minutes to fill my time with a HS movie that I think rivals Fast Times from that era.

Thought of the day, John Cusack was stuck in HS from 1983 (Class) when he was 17 all the way to 1989 with Say Anything.
Cusack was pure gold in Gross Pointe Blank as an assassin. Underrated movie IMO.

Cusack was pure gold in Gross Pointe Blank as an assassin. Underrated movie IMO.
Indeed, I actually posted about that movie way back on Page 1, #8.

Personal story on that, all the scenes that were set in the radio studio that was supposed to be Grosse Pointe, MI were actually done in downtown Monrovia, CA.

That happened to be the NE Los Angeles suburb I was living in at the time. That location was used for many LA based productions to substitute for midwestern cities/towns because there were few to no palm trees, especially in the downtown area.

The year before it was released I had noticed a "Welcome to Grosse Pointe, MI" sign right on the main drag and had wondered why that was up there. Anyway, it was cool to recognize restaurants/stores that I had frequented when I first saw the film.

Maybe the movie I've seen more than any other in my life.

Maybe the movie I've seen more than any other in my life.
I can laugh my ass off thinking of so many of the lines from this movie, while also acknowledging how cringy much of the humor/storyline is in the light of day. I look forward to watching this with my boys in about 10 years and deconstructing with them what was seen as standard humor in its day versus where we will be in 2034--and I'm sure they'll look aghast at me as I chortle every time Long Duck Dong appears on screen or Jake gifts his passed out girlfriend Caroline over to Farmer Ted.

I can laugh my ass off thinking of so many of the lines from this movie, while also acknowledging how cringy much of the humor/storyline is in the light of day. I look forward to watching this with my boys in about 10 years and deconstructing with them what was seen as standard humor in its day versus where we will be in 2034--and I'm sure they'll look aghast at me as I chortle every time Long Duck Dong appears on screen or Jake gifts his passed out girlfriend Caroline over to Farmer Ted.
I can't pose or take a picture/selfie without thinking/saying, "You know, black and white would really capture the moment!"

Not really that old of a movie, but since its set in early '80s, Everybody Wants Some! has that feel to it and as I watched it last night I do believe it's the best two hours I'm going to spend this week. I certainly wasn't a member of my university's baseball team, so I can't relate there, but everything else about this movie felt so very familiar--those long lazy days on the weekends or at beginning of semesters where you hanging out doing stupid shit, having ridiculous conversations, and then spending your nights on the prowl--and wash, rinse, repeat the following night/weekend/weekday.

In my younger days coming home from the bars, someone always inevitably yelled "_______ hungry. _______ need food!".

Not really that old of a movie, but since its set in early '80s, Everybody Wants Some! has that feel to it and as I watched it last night I do believe it's the best two hours I'm going to spend this week. I certainly wasn't a member of my university's baseball team, so I can't relate there, but everything else about this movie felt so very familiar--those long lazy days on the weekends or at beginning of semesters where you hanging out doing stupid shit, having ridiculous conversations, and then spending your nights on the prowl--and wash, rinse, repeat the following night/weekend/weekday.
It really is a "spiritual sequel" to Dazed and Confused, and I think pretty close to being every bit as good.

I'm sure it was the first thing I saw either Zoey Deutch or Glen Powell in, and they are both killing now with about every project. Linklater has an incredible knack for finding that type of talent.

It really is a "spiritual sequel" to Dazed and Confused, and I think pretty close to being every bit as good.

I'm sure it was the first thing I saw either Zoey Deutch or Glen Powell in, and they are both killing now with about every project. Linklater has an incredible knack for finding that type of talent.
What else is Deutch in that I should see? She lit up all the scenes she was in and when I went to IMDB, I see she's been consistently working, but I don't believe I've seen anything else she's appeared in.

I think I used those exact words--spiritual sequel--when telling a co-worker about the movie yesterday to Dazed and Confused. Start your day with Boyhood, sandwich D&C and EWS!, end your night with Before Sunrise--that's quite a thematic Linklater movie fest you've got going. And if you're aching for more? Late night trippiness with Waking Life.

What else is Deutch in that I should see? She lit up all the scenes she was in and when I went to IMDB, I see she's been consistently working, but I don't believe I've seen anything else she's appeared in.
She was good in Flower which is a decent film. Also was in Zombieland 2 in which she plays essentially a ditzy punching bag to Emma Stone's character.

The Outfit though is the movie that I would most highly recommend. Really good ensemble cast, headed by Mark Rylance who I think is as good as it gets.

There was also a Hallmark type rom-com holiday movie on Netflix called Something at Tiffany's. For what it was trying to be, it gets the job done. She's good in it.

Last edited:

Enemy Mine!

Sincere or not, pretty appropriate what with Louis Gossett Jr.'s death yesterday.

I recall being letdown when I saw EWS.....especially considering how great D&C was. Probably overdue to rewatch EWS.

Today marks 50 years since Stephen King’s debut novel, “Carrie.” Its 1974 release launched King’s decadeslong influential literary career in horror and beyond.

King was born in 1947 in Maine, where many of his stories are based (see towns). He was an English teacher before “Carrie” and its 1976 film adaptation about a high school outcast propelled him to fame. While the horror genre dates back to the 1700s, King is in large part credited with its revitalization in the 1970s and 1980s, with his novels praised for their empathetic characters and realistic world building. He has written more than 60 novels, more than 30 of which were bestsellers. Those include classic horrors like “The Shining” and “It,” as well as others beyond the genre, including the novella behind “The Shawshank Redemption.”

Today marks 50 years since Stephen King’s debut novel, “Carrie.” Its 1974 release launched King’s decadeslong influential literary career in horror and beyond.

King was born in 1947 in Maine, where many of his stories are based (see towns). He was an English teacher before “Carrie” and its 1976 film adaptation about a high school outcast propelled him to fame. While the horror genre dates back to the 1700s, King is in large part credited with its revitalization in the 1970s and 1980s, with his novels praised for their empathetic characters and realistic world building. He has written more than 60 novels, more than 30 of which were bestsellers. Those include classic horrors like “The Shining” and “It,” as well as others beyond the genre, including the novella behind “The Shawshank Redemption.”
I find it humorous that they changed the movie title from Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption in part because they had agents trying to get clients auditions for the role of Rita Hayworth.

Finally got around to watching Crazy Stupid Love this week and I really enjoyed it, particularly the chemistry between Ryan Gosling and Steve Carrel--seems there's a lot of talk about there's no movie stars anymore, but Gosling delivers pretty much all the time and I like that his ego isn't so large that he can be the punchline when called for. The one thing with this movie though--man, did they tap dance on the edge of creepiness throughout with the babysitter's crush on Carrel's character and the son of Carrel's character obsession with her and the whole final interaction between the babysitter and the son-umm, couldn't have come up with a better way to cap that storyline? That's certainly not aging well, but pretty sure in the moment it was ill-advised.

I'm also here to sing the praises of Julianne Moore; let's just consider these nine movies that she has been a part of over the last 30 years:
The Fugitive
The Hand That Rocks the Cradle
Boogie Nights
The Big Lebowski
Magnolia
Children of Men
The Kids Are Alright
Crazy Stupid Love
Non-Stop

There's a lot I've left off this list too because I haven't seen them or my memory is vague-her Oscar winning turn in Still Alice, Hunger Games and Jurassic Park sequels, Don Jon, Far From Heaven, The Hours, and it goes on. I'm not saying all the movies I listed above are masterpieces, but they are all a rollicking good time in their own ways. If you said for the next month I could only watch movies with Julianne Moore in them, I'd have no complaints.

Finally got around to watching Crazy Stupid Love this week and I really enjoyed it, particularly the chemistry between Ryan Gosling and Steve Carrel--seems there's a lot of talk about there's no movie stars anymore, but Gosling delivers pretty much all the time and I like that his ego isn't so large that he can be the punchline when called for. The one thing with this movie though--man, did they tap dance on the edge of creepiness throughout with the babysitter's crush on Carrel's character and the son of Carrel's character obsession with her and the whole final interaction between the babysitter and the son-umm, couldn't have come up with a better way to cap that storyline? That's certainly not aging well, but pretty sure in the moment it was ill-advised.

I'm also here to sing the praises of Julianne Moore; let's just consider these nine movies that she has been a part of over the last 30 years:
The Fugitive
Boogie Nights
The Big Lebowski
Magnolia
Children of Men
The Kids Are Alright
Crazy Stupid Love
Non-Stop

There's a lot I've left off this list too because I haven't seen them or my memory is vague-her Oscar winning turn in Still Alice, Hunger Games and Jurassic Park sequels, Don Jon, Far From Heaven, The Hours, and it goes on. I'm not saying all the movies I listed above are masterpieces, but they are all a rollicking good time in their own ways. If you said for the next month I could only watch movies with Julianne Moore in them, I'd have no complaints.
Crazy Stupid Love is just a fantastic movie. Along with When Harry Met Sally... the gold standards in romantic comedies.

The Fugitive
Boogie Nights
The Big Lebowski
Magnolia
Children of Men
The Kids Are Alright
Crazy Stupid Love
Non-Stop

In general, Moore attaches herself to quality projects with top top notch directors, which is an art in itself. Other examples from the list you provided are Short Cuts and Cookie's Fortune, both directed by Robert Altman.

Last night I revisited Bridge of Spies. As far as overall quality for both Spielberg and Hanks individually, it's a film that probably ranks middle of the pack in their individual bodies of work. However for them, it still means it's a good to excellent watch.

Hanks is stellar as always, but Mark Rylance upstages him with his performance.

I had forgotten how it really is 2 different types of movies, first half court room drama followed by suspense-thriller. It holds up nicely.

Top Bottom