Movies that hold up vs. those that don't

I'm in the minority I know, but I never felt the need to watch Hoosiers more than twice. It was fine. The whole love angle seemed forced to me.

It has been a very long time since I saw Jerry Maguire. I know it didn't have the Hanson brothers...
No, but Jerry Maguire does have The Replacements (I'll Be You). ;)

when "Slap Shot" came out, I was in college and doing work-study assignments, which included spending some time at the college hockey rink. The hockey community was very divided on the movie. some people thought it was hilarious, while other people felt it was trying to mock the sport of hockey and they were very upset about it. led to some interesting discussions.

I'm 2 hours into the original Avatar and wondering if it will ever get "good".
I made it through Avatar 1. My memory when I saw it on a big screen IMAX/3D that it was visually amazing, but the story/plot were pretty meh.

On a small screen that opinion is really reinforced. The first 2 hours are painfully slow, the last hour is better but honestly, just didn't care. Certainly not enough to cry out for multiple sequels.

It's very dry. Very few likeable characters, especially the earthlings. Sigourney Weaver, softens a bit but it feels contrived.

When they morph back from Avatars back to their human bodies seems like a real plot hole issue. How many times can Jacksully die before the Blue people catch on?

when "Slap Shot" came out, I was in college and doing work-study assignments, which included spending some time at the college hockey rink. The hockey community was very divided on the movie. some people thought it was hilarious, while other people felt it was trying to mock the sport of hockey and they were very upset about it. led to some interesting discussions.
My favorite Chief is Denis Lemieux, goaltender, despite his strong desire to get out of Charlestown.

I had my annual viewing of Dazed and Confused this weekend.

Who had the better HC/QB communication dynamic? Lee HS 1976 Conrad/Floyd or Vikings 2021 Zimmer/Cousins?

Tough call.
Annual viewing of Dazed and Confused was over the weekend.

It still holds.

Thoughts:

- Mitch and crew should have taken the deal offered by the seniors and just showed up after the bell rang. Of course that would eliminate a dramatic plot point.

- The girls had it much worse what they had to go through. Ick.

- Was Wooderson a senior with Pink's class were going through the same ritual?

By coincidence I am working my way through Rob Lowe's "Literally!" podcast which I find very entertaining. I just happened to listen to the McConaughey episode yesterday that was actually from 2021. Interesting tidbits:

- It was supposed to be a 1 day/3 line role but he gelled with the cast and they kept extending his part and it turned out to be 3 weeks. It was London/Pink that suggested that it be his car they rolled in to pick up the Aerosmith tickets.

- He talked about the Moon Tower party scene in which Linklater sought ideas from the cast as to what their characters would be doing at the event. One of the actors thought he should be just out in the corner playing songs to his girlfriend. Linklater thought that was ok, but because of the lighting said it would have be more where the action was. The actor stood firm and said it should be more on the periphery.

Essentially, he wrote himself out of the movie. Didn't call out his name specifically. Had to be Pickford. Not a wise career move. McConaughey said it was a lesson he took to heart.

I made it through Avatar 1. My memory when I saw it on a big screen IMAX/3D that it was visually amazing, but the story/plot were pretty meh.

On a small screen that opinion is really reinforced. The first 2 hours are painfully slow, the last hour is better but honestly, just didn't care. Certainly not enough to cry out for multiple sequels.

It's very dry. Very few likeable characters, especially the earthlings. Sigourney Weaver, softens a bit but it feels contrived.

When they morph back from Avatars back to their human bodies seems like a real plot hole issue. How many times can Jacksully die before the Blue people catch on?
Never had a desire to watch that movie

The Departed. Just always a fantastic watch.
The cast and acting in that movie is about as good as it gets. I have "Usual Suspects" just above it. If there's a better ending to a movie, it escapes me right now.
1686797564821.png

It still holds.

Thoughts:

- Mitch and crew should have taken the deal offered by the seniors and just showed up after the bell rang. Of course that would eliminate a dramatic plot point.

By coincidence I am working my way through Rob Lowe's "Literally!" podcast which I find very entertaining. I just happened to listen to the McConaughey episode yesterday that was actually from 2021. Interesting tidbits:

- It was supposed to be a 1 day/3 line role but he gelled with the cast and they kept extending his part and it turned out to be 3 weeks. It was London/Pink that suggested that it be his car they rolled in to pick up the Aerosmith tickets.

- He talked about the Moon Tower party scene in which Linklater sought ideas from the cast as to what their characters would be doing at the event. One of the actors thought he should be just out in the corner playing songs to his girlfriend. Linklater thought that was ok, but because of the lighting said it would have be more where the action was. The actor stood firm and said it should be more on the periphery.

Essentially, he wrote himself out of the movie. Didn't call out his name specifically. Had to be Pickford. Not a wise career move. McConaughey said it was a lesson he took to heart.
Had my viewing last Thursday night. I will never get tired of it.

To your first thought, they had a car and had to try. Take the deal if there is no car.

Wooderson was older than that. The cop in the "50 yard line" scene graduated with Wooderson and was definitely older than 22ish.

McConaughey getting more screen time meant less for Milla. She was supposed to be a main character but got bumped. She also hung out with Pickford who was the most disliked cast member. They would later get married (annulled two months later).

My buddy in Thailand just watched last night with fellow co-workers. They do a drinking game and he got, take a drink everytime Mitch touches his nose. Hope he didn't get alcohol poisoning.

It still holds.

Thoughts:

Aerosmith and slow drive through the parking lot might be the best movie opening ever.

Aerosmith and slow drive through the parking lot might be the best movie opening ever.
That reminded me of another thing that either I had not picked up on previously or forgot but totally makes sense given it takes place (1976): they are listening to 8-track tapes, not cassettes, in the cars.

Had my viewing last Thursday night. I will never get tired of it.

To your first thought, they had a car and had to try. Take the deal if there is no car.

Wooderson was older than that. The cop in the "50 yard line" scene graduated with Wooderson and was definitely older than 22ish.

McConaughey getting more screen time meant less for Milla. She was supposed to be a main character but got bumped. She also hung out with Pickford who was the most disliked cast member. They would later get married (annulled two months later).

My buddy in Thailand just watched last night with fellow co-workers. They do a drinking game and he got, take a drink everytime Mitch touches his nose. Hope he didn't get alcohol poisoning.
Regarding the car while worth a shot to make it through the day, but seems impossible to avoid the inevitable throughout the whole summer. That's how I personally would have looked at it. That would not service the plot though.

Regarding Wooderson's age, I agree it probably does not quite line up, especially with the cop. Maybe Wooderson was a star sophomore when he was a senior? A reach. McConaughey himself was 22 (and at UT) when it was filmed so it would work out from that standpoint.

Ages in general are a bit nebulous (as they are in a lot of films). Going back to a freshman that already had access to a car and a drivers license. Not impossible, but really rare, unless the driving age was 15 in Texas. I guess it is possible for rural/farm kids to have their license at that age. Maybe the kid got held back. O'Bannion smarts.

Never had a desire to watch that movie
I would say if you could go back in time or if it ever got re-released in an IMAX/3D theater it would be worth the time to see Avatar 1. Short of that, no real need.

Regarding the car while worth a shot to make it through the day, but seems impossible to avoid the inevitable throughout the whole summer. That's how I personally would have looked at it. That would not service the plot though.

Regarding Wooderson's age, I agree it probably does not quite line up, especially with the cop. Maybe Wooderson was a star sophomore when he was a senior? A reach. McConaughey himself was 22 (and at UT) when it was filmed so it would work out from that standpoint.

Ages in general are a bit nebulous (as they are in a lot of films). Going back to a freshman that already had access to a car and a drivers license. Not impossible, but really rare, unless the driving age was 15 in Texas. I guess it is possible for rural/farm kids to have their license at that age. Maybe the kid got held back. O'Bannion smarts.
The kid with the car didn't have his license. Just the keys.. My buddy Greg used to take his mom's car all the time when we were freshman. Knowing me, I would have tried to avoid getting paddled at all costs.

The kid with the car didn't have his license. Just the keys.. My buddy Greg used to take his mom's car all the time when we were freshman. Knowing me, I would have tried to avoid getting paddled at all costs.
I didn't think of that. Scofflaw!

I would venture to guess this is probably why I saw Dazed and Confused when it was originally released in the theater. Siskel & Ebert gave Two Thumbs Up and compared it to American Graffiti.

Review at the 19:45 mark.

I would venture to guess this is probably why I saw Dazed and Confused when it was originally released in the theater. Siskel & Ebert gave Two Thumbs Up and compared it to American Graffiti.

Review at the 19:45 mark.

Just imagine what that movie would be like if everyone would have known those actors at the time. It's unreal to think of that roster of actors/actresses now.

So, Avatar 2 (The Way of Water) is now available on Disney+. Before watching it, I decided to go back and watch the 1st Avatar again. I remembered the basic plot, but not a lot of the details.

I have a 55" 4K TV and surround-sound system. the movie looks great - you can tell they spent a lot of money on the effects. as far as the plot, yeah, there are some holes. and Jake comes off as not the brightest guy around before turning into super warrior and bird-rider. plus the vast majority of the humans not seeming to give a bleep about wiping out a whole race of people. found myself wondering if the weaselly corporate guy was an ancestor of the weaselly corporate guy in Aliens.

So, high marks for visuals, sound and effects. questions about plot and story.

I'll watch Avatar 2 just for the heck of it, but I'm in no hurry.

So, Avatar 2 (The Way of Water) is now available on Disney+. Before watching it, I decided to go back and watch the 1st Avatar again. I remembered the basic plot, but not a lot of the details.

I have a 55" 4K TV and surround-sound system. the movie looks great - you can tell they spent a lot of money on the effects. as far as the plot, yeah, there are some holes. and Jake comes off as not the brightest guy around before turning into super warrior and bird-rider. plus the vast majority of the humans not seeming to give a bleep about wiping out a whole race of people. found myself wondering if the weaselly corporate guy was an ancestor of the weaselly corporate guy in Aliens.

So, high marks for visuals, sound and effects. questions about plot and story.

I'll watch Avatar 2 just for the heck of it, but I'm in no hurry.

Much better plot in Avatar 2. Cameron was wise to take his time to get that down, in order to have ticket buyers interested/emotionally invested in Avatar 3, 4, 5 etc.

So, I re-watched a classic monster movie tonight - "Gojira" or in the American translation - "Godzilla."

Gojira was released by Toho studios in Japan in 1954. it was a very serious movie - dark and atmospheric - and was seen as an allegory about the perils of nuclear energy.
upon re-watching, I really liked it. but it is dark - the filmmakers really humanized what a giant monster attack would mean with footage of a ruined and burning city, intercut with shots of injured people being treated at hospitals and children crying over their dead mother.

the later sequels turned increasingly light and humorous - directed more for children - but the original is a really adult movie. yes, you get a guy in a monster suit smashing a model city, but it's done well. and the acting is fairly subdued for a Japanese movie.

Now - a little history: Toho sold the rights to distribute the movie in America. But the studio that bought the rights didn't think an American audience would relate to a movie with an all-Japanese cast. So they shot new footage featuring Raymond Burr as American reporter Steve Martin. (yes, that is the name of the character). then they intercut the original movie with scenes of Burr reporting on Godzilla. this new version was released in America as "Godzilla, King of the Monsters." most people in the US are more familiar with the edited version - but IMHO, the original version is a much superior film. available for free on You Tube with commercials.

WarGames. I saw it in the theater when it was released in 1983, maybe once more. I remembered I liked it, as well as a vague recollection of how it ended.

It's much better then I recalled. Really good and not an overly complicated plot. Pretty basic actually. Also still relevant given the advances being made with AI.

- Matthew Broderick was really good, and much closer to being HS age as opposed to Ferris Bueller when he was in his mid-20s.
- Ally Sheedy, wonderful.
- Dabney Coleman plays the heavy well, though not a stereotype IMO.

It was well worth my time to revisit.

Currently watching a little of Schwarzenegger's Conan the Barbarian. It's somehow both a a legitimately entertaining fantasy action movie and so ridiculous it should be an episode of Mystery Science Theater 3000.

It still holds.

Thoughts:

Going to see Dazed at the Tryon tonight. I think it is there through Tuesday fyi..

The Last Full Measure. Based on a true story from the Vietnam War. Several big name actors. Had me shedding tears.

Watched The Goonies over the weekend with the kids. The kids liked it, but as a grown-up...oof... Did NOT hold up for me. It's like a 13 yo wrote it one afternoon, and Spielberg filmed it over the weekend. The acting is atrocious. The teenage romance stuff is forced and out of place. The adventuring is still fun and some of the gags still land. But overall, it was a rough watch, even for an 80s movie.

Watched The Goonies over the weekend with the kids. The kids liked it, but as a grown-up...oof... Did NOT hold up for me. It's like a 13 yo wrote it one afternoon, and Spielberg filmed it over the weekend. The acting is atrocious. The teenage romance stuff is forced and out of place. The adventuring is still fun and some of the gags still land. But overall, it was a rough watch, even for an 80s movie.
Even though I was still pretty easy to please with movies at 16 yrs old when I saw the Goonies, I remember walking out to the theater thinking it really sucked.

Perhaps I was already well past the target audience if the 13 yr old you have suggested wrote it for his or her peers.

Friday still holds up...
Timeless 😎

I watched Splash and still think it's pretty good as it approaches the 40 year milestone.

It was an incredible harbinger for the talents of Ron Howard as a director and Tom Hanks as a leading man. As much of a Hollywood vet was as an actor, Howard was just 30 when it was released. Hanks was still in his 20s.

The romance with Daryl Hannah (now Mrs Neil Young) carries the plot but John Candy delivers the bulk of the comedic one liners. Double digit LOL moments for me as older brother Freddie.

Looking back, it's one of the few roles in which Eugene Levy is the "bad guy".

Top Bottom