Morgan. Going forward or backwards?

Back to the topic at hand...Tanner Morgan. Has he regressed? I really do not think so, it is the same Tanner Morgan. The one thing he struggles with is getting off his first read. In the first 3 games we really have not seen any improvement in that area. He locks onto one receiver. If that read is not there, he gets jittery in the pocket.

IMO, Tanner is really not a drop back passer, he is suited for the RPO system we run and is very accurate within that system.

He will struggle to find a home at the next level unless he shows drastic improvement coming off his first read and going through his progressions.

Back to the topic at hand...Tanner Morgan. Has he regressed? I really do not think so, it is the same Tanner Morgan. The one thing he struggles with is getting off his first read. In the first 3 games we really have not seen any improvement in that area. He locks onto one receiver. If that read is not there, he gets jittery in the pocket.

IMO, Tanner is really not a drop back passer, he is suited for the RPO system we run and is very accurate within that system.

He will struggle to find a home at the next level unless he shows drastic improvement coming off his first read and going through his progressions.
Good points.

Like I said, I think what Ciarrocca did for him really suited him. Basically turtle up a huge pocket for him, give him all the time in the world to lock onto TJ or Bateman and wait for one of them to get open. Then when they do, he was very accurate at hitting them.

Sometimes a qb might have a really good year and then never repeat or improve. See every gopher qb post ww2.

Former WMU QB Zach Terrell is easily the best comparison to Tanner as he is very similar in terms of size, athleticism and arm strength, plays in the same offense with the same coaches, put up very similar numbers and had the same talent at receiver with Davis and Braverman that Tanner has.

Terrell is the main reason why I never thought Tanner would be a hot commodity in the NFL. Terrell was very good and never sniffed the NFL. I don't think he even signed as a free agent although I could be wrong and Tanner doesn't really have many if any advantages over Terrell.

And you also have other QB's like Kellen Moore, Case Keenum, Seth Doege and Nick Florence off the top of my head who were all better QB's than Tanner but went undrafted due to underwhelming physical tools.

I will take as much of Tanner Morgan I can get, for as long as he is here. Not gonna find any better gamer than TM. He has so many intangibles, sure I wish he was a little more athletic and could create some plays on his own, but in the end, he is the best QB I have ever seen wearing the maroon and gold.

Former WMU QB Zach Terrell is easily the best comparison to Tanner as he is very similar in terms of size, athleticism and arm strength, plays in the same offense with the same coaches, put up very similar numbers and had the same talent at receiver with Davis and Braverman that Tanner has.

Terrell is the main reason why I never thought Tanner would be a hot commodity in the NFL. Terrell was very good and never sniffed the NFL. I don't think he even signed as a free agent although I could be wrong and Tanner doesn't really have many if any advantages over Terrell.

And you also have other QB's like Kellen Moore, Case Keenum, Seth Doege and Nick Florence off the top of my head who were all better QB's than Tanner but went undrafted due to underwhelming physical tools.
He did sign undrafted with the Ravens, but they almost immediately waived him to sign another player.

There isn't any record of him signing elsewhere after that. Does not seem like he has played since then.

Just on the eye test, there does seem to be something a little bit off this year compared to last year. Morgan just does not seem to be as decisive. Obviously, don't know how he is being coached, and whether something has changed from last year in terms of reads and assignments.

But, just from the eye test, he is missing on more throws than he did last year. I am NOT saying he is having a bad year, just not as productive a year as last year.

All other things being equal, having your QB go from an A to a B or B+ is not a deal-breaker. But you combine that with some issues on the OLine and issues on defense, and that small drop in QB efficiency could be enough to tip the balance of a game.

Just on the eye test, there does seem to be something a little bit off this year compared to last year. Morgan just does not seem to be as decisive. Obviously, don't know how he is being coached, and whether something has changed from last year in terms of reads and assignments.

But, just from the eye test, he is missing on more throws than he did last year. I am NOT saying he is having a bad year, just not as productive a year as last year.

All other things being equal, having your QB go from an A to a B or B+ is not a deal-breaker. But you combine that with some issues on the OLine and issues on defense, and that small drop in QB efficiency could be enough to tip the balance of a game.
. 2 words. Tennis Ball.

• Will still finish as the best QB in Minnesota history.
  • Has looked increasingly good each week, and I expect that to continue as the staff gets on the same page with gameplan/playcalling.
  • Made 3 or 4 pretty bad throws yesterday, but he delivered many more absolute strikes. He's so freaking good. This throw at 2:16 is something we've rarely seen at Minnesota. The read, step up in pocket, throw into an NFL window with 3 defenders nearby:
  • If you don't count Mertz's one game, Morgan's QB rating is 4th in the B1G (Fields, O'Connell, Tagovailoa).
Little early to project the young man as best in history of Gopher football. Has a ways to go to match Weber's numbers. He has been awesome and still is. Next year will be normal hopefully and we will see if he can achieve the "best in history".

He’s not playing as well as last year thus far. He is still playing well and not a concern of
mine.
He's playing the same through three games. He had 6 TD's and 2ints. last year and 3TD's and 2 ints. this year. Fewer yards this year.

He's thrown about the same about of passes and completions as last year.

Team has scored more points in 3 games this year (109) than last year (101). Last year was non-conference and this year is conference play.

This year we have 12 rushing TD's to 7 at this point last year.

This week is a good test as Iowa is good defensively.

Little early to project the young man as best in history of Gopher football. Has a ways to go to match Weber's numbers.

Dude. Really?

Completion % - Morgan 63.4 Weber 57.0
Yards/Attempt - Morgan 9.7 Weber 6.8
TD:INT - Morgan 2.8:1 (42:15) Weber 1.41:1 (72:51)
Rating - Morgan 164.7 Weber 123.1

And this isn't even touching team stats like winning percentage, where Morgan obviously crushes Weber as well. They're not even on the same planet - Morgan is far, far superior.

Dude. Really?

And this isn't even touching team stats like winning percentage, where Morgan obviously crushes Weber as well. They're not even on the same planet - Morgan is far, far superior.
I was thinking the same. Stats for Weber and Sauter are tough to compare because they were getting destroyed most of the time.

Dude. Really?

Geesh...Now I have to get off Leidner Island.

He's playing the same through three games. He had 6 TD's and 2ints. last year and 3TD's and 2 ints. this year. Fewer yards this year.

He's thrown about the same about of passes and completions as last year.

Team has scored more points in 3 games this year (109) than last year (101). Last year was non-conference and this year is conference play.

This year we have 12 rushing TD's to 7 at this point last year.

This week is a good test as Iowa is good defensively.
OK. I'll revise my statement...
He’s playing about the same as last year through 3-games, but not playing as well as he did last year as a whole. He is still playing well and not a concern of mine.

Dude. Really?

Whenever someone starts beating the "Weber drum" you can be sure the conversation is about to turn to Total Yards.

A couple of actual qb keeps on the RPO would go a long way to helping Mo and Tanner.

Couldn't agree more. I would still take Morgan over most QBs out there in college football but to this point he just seems a little bit off. Could be due to a number of different things, new system, new terminology, some musical chairs along the o-line, timing not quite right with receivers due to messy off-season....

Bottom line is it doesn't feel like he is playing at quite the same level as last year but I have full confidence that he will get it worked out and hit his stride as the season goes along.

As for the other discussion going around about where Morgan ranks all time in terms of Gopher QBs.....he may not be the best all time here but he is on the short list. Way I evaluate who is the best at a position is to take it back to the playground, you need a QB and your choices are Morgan or Weber.....I'm going Morgan on that one every time although I wouldn't be crushed to end up with Weber as the consolation prize.

Couldn't agree more. I would still take Morgan over most QBs out there in college football but to this point he just seems a little bit off. Could be due to a number of different things, new system, new terminology, some musical chairs along the o-line, timing not quite right with receivers due to messy off-season....

Bottom line is it doesn't feel like he is playing at quite the same level as last year but I have full confidence that he will get it worked out and hit his stride as the season goes along.

As for the other discussion going around about where Morgan ranks all time in terms of Gopher QBs.....he may not be the best all time here but he is on the short list. Way I evaluate who is the best at a position is to take it back to the playground, you need a QB and your choices are Morgan or Weber.....I'm going Morgan on that one every time although I wouldn't be crushed to end up with Weber as the consolation prize.
You left out Leidner.

2019 Morgan = Hits his spots, makes great reads, runs RPO in a way that is unstoppable, struggled to get off 1st receiver in 1st few games and trusted his offensive line to protect him (which he had to develop after SDST gave him trouble).

2020 Morgan = Hitting close to his spots, Defenses have adjusted to how he ran RPO, struggling to get off first read and offensive line is struggling to protect him (did much better vs. Illini).

My assumption is the Morgan needs a preseason to get warmed up and perfect his game. I am guessing he is just getting warmed up and will be ready when we hit the home stretch. My biggest concern is will the defense do the same.

Adam Weber:

YearSchoolConfClassPosGCmpAttPctYdsY/AAY/ATDIntRate
2007MinnesotaBig TenFRQB1225844957.528956.45.62419120.8
*2008MinnesotaBig TenSOQB1325541062.227616.76.6158126.9
*2009MinnesotaBig TenJRQB1319136752.025827.05.91315114.7
2010MinnesotaBig TenSRQB1220536855.726797.37.3209129.9
CareerMinnesota909159457.0109176.86.37251123.1

Tanner Morgan:

YearSchoolConfClassPosGCmpAttPctYdsY/AAY/ATDIntRate
*2018MinnesotaBig TenFRQB98915258.614019.28.696147.6
*2019MinnesotaBig TenSOQB1321031866.0325310.211.1307178.7
2020MinnesotaBig TenJRQB3457361.66028.27.832139.0
CareerMinnesota34454363.452569.710.04215164.7

The thing you can objectively say is that Weber had more attempts per game.
Weber - 18.2
Morgan - 13.8

Which are both still paltry compared to pass heavy offenses.

I do not blame Tanner at all, if anyone needs to be blamed it is PFJ and the OC.

Iowa knew exactly what to expect tonight and they were ready. We had zero in terms of a counter move.

Mike Sanford is not helping him out either.
Aside from the issue of not getting off his first read, he has indeed regressed. Bad footwork, forced throws. It is to the point where they don’t trust him on 3rd and 6 out of a timeout.

Backwards....stares down 1receiver continuously. Reminds me of Webber staring down Decker over and over....except it's Tanner and Bateman.

Top Bottom