Morgan. Going forward or backwards?

Backwards this year at least. Staring down the reciever every time.

Absolutely going backwards to this point. I wish it wasn’t true but it is what it is.

Absolutely going backwards to this point. I wish it wasn’t true but it is what it is.

Something is very off with Morgan. One huge thing I have noticed is that he is not hitting guys in stride this year at all. The catch and run was a huge part of the offense last year and the opportunities for that through 4 games are just not there. We were surgical in the way we ran slants with our receivers last season.

Morgan showed some signs of life against Illinois but he has looked very off in 3 of the 4 games this season. Certainly does not look anywhere close to the record setting guy we had last year that was producing at a level near the best of the best in all of college football.

Morgan sure misses his old OC. Hope it doesn’t take Fleck as long to figure out Simon for Sanford as it did for Rossi for Smith. I think you could have the same instant turnaround, but we’re stuck with Sanford for this season at least.

Just remember... last year, we ran up and down the field and had one of the best offenses in the B10. We never complained about running the ball 723781243 times, because it was balanced and not as predictable. This year, it's definitely more run than pass. Today's stats probably won't show it because we were down so much but something has changed in the offensive game plan / play calling. The only difference I can tell is just Sanford, and maybe a different offense that Morgan just doesn't seem comfortable in.

Tanner just looks awful this year. Very much staring down guys as stated, timing is off, missing open guys, late to throw, underthrow. Feel bad for the kid because we all know he's way better than this. I was hoping to see Annexstad tonight. I could very easily see Rashod say thanks but no thanks after this game. Why risk injury with this team going no where?

Glorified MAC QB. I like him, but come on, he had a fantastic season but was overrated last year. we had 2 ELITE WR’s and a solid solid 3rd option that made him look better than he really is, We all knew it last year but were too much of homers to admit it. he looks scared this year, cant blame him, bad protection and he probably still has PTSD from the Michigan hit.

That pass to CAB that got picked off showed alot of his limitations, his arm is just so weak he cant make alot of throws. I dont know if hes hurt or what but his arm looks weaker than ever, if it keeps up like this they should definitely look to play someone else.

I do not blame Tanner at all, if anyone needs to be blamed it is PFJ and the OC.

Iowa knew exactly what to expect tonight and they were ready. We had zero in terms of a counter move.
I want to give him every benefit but he did not look good tonight. The INTs were very bad decisions, he indeed locked in on receivers, and did not go through his progressions. Forced the ball on numerous occasions, could have had more INTs.

Glorified MAC QB. I like him, but come on, he had a fantastic season but was overrated last year. we had 2 ELITE WR’s and a solid solid 3rd option that made him look better than he really is, We all knew it last year but were too much of homers to admit it. he looks scared this year, cant blame him, bad protection and he probably still has PTSD from the Michigan hit.

Disagree about him being overrated last year. Yes he had two great receiving options to work with but he was locked in all year as well. He made great decisions and his throws were often on target and in a position where the receivers could make the catch and run.

He is off this year...by a lot....tough to say what the exact reason is but he is a better player than what we are seeing right now.

Disagree about him being overrated last year. Yes he had two great receiving options to work with but he was locked in all year as well. He made great decisions and his throws were often on target and in a position where the receivers could make the catch and run.

He is off this year...by a lot....tough to say what the exact reason is but he is a better player than what we are seeing right now.
Maybe the Michigan game did get to him. He is getting hit a lot and when we do have protection his awareness has been bad in the pocket with happy feet. Idk, I agree he looks way off. Our whole team looks off. Feels like we were the BIG team ok with missing the season due to Covid and when we found out we had to come back and play, we were like Fu**! Lol

He is getting hit more but he still has 2 solid WRs and a couple of TEs . Sanford is going to take the heat here. not the other guy.

You just nailed it, Sanford owns this regression.

Disagree about him being overrated last year.
I disagree with your disagreement... If you have the opportunity, go back and look at the passing game from last season. Time after time, Morgan threw up some terrible passes and the receivers had to make spectacular catches. It happened quite frequently... The biggest difference is that Morgan isn't getting receptions on the bad throws this season.

Sanford owns this regression.
Does he...? Is it possible that he knows that Morgan is overmatched and, accordingly, has to dummy down the playbook for him? It's easy to bash Sanford... and maybe he is the problem, but I doubt it. I think it's a more of a lack of help (receivers, offensive line etc.) that is hindering Morgan from being the QB that he was last year. Morgan would have had to be the man and step up to carry this offense, and he's proven that he's not up to the job.

I disagree with your disagreement... If you have the opportunity, go back and look at the passing game from last season. Time after time, Morgan threw up some terrible passes and the receivers had to make spectacular catches. It happened quite frequently... The biggest difference is that Morgan isn't getting receptions on the bad throws this season.
Agree 100%

Maybe it says something about how good Tyler Johnson was, but last year, that inside slant was money. And Morgan's timing was almost always on the money.

this year, his timing just seems to be off. he doesn't look as decisive.

he looks like he's thinking, not reacting. don't know what might have changed in the offense or how he's being coached, but Morgan doesn't look like the same player. and any thought of him being a possible NFL prospect is going out the window.

Maybe it says something about how good Tyler Johnson was, but last year, that inside slant was money. And Morgan's timing was almost always on the money.

he looks like he's thinking, not reacting. don't know what might have changed in the offense or how he's being coached, but Morgan doesn't look like the same player. and any thought of him being a possible NFL prospect is going out the window.
Last year teams had to stop the run, Bateman, and johnson

you always were either handing off or throwing to an NFL wideout in single coverage because they couldn’t double both of them AND stop the run. He has to make more complex reads this year and is struggling.

I don’t know the answer. But the problem is in making progressions

Tyler never got enough love

can't honestly believe that we have a thread questioning Morgan and Bateman (two of the best ever at their positions in U of M history) floating around on gopherhole.

You must be new here.

Top Bottom