More bad news?

The cryptic stuff is really annoying. Either say what's happening or don't say anything at all.

This has to literally be breaking news today because Tubby said he was hoping to avoid off the court issues when he was interviewed at All-Star Friday Night.

If it's Gopher Warrior, it's something he read on the internet/social media. He's not connected to the team.

Possible bad news
1. Tubby has another opportunity or they cannot get the contract done.
2. NCAA Violations
3. Trevor trouble or one of the other key players.

Anyway, hate the pre-knowing drama.

I don't understand why the guy can't just say what the bad news is? It's not like he's a reporter or beat writer where he has to make sure everything adds up. Pretty lame that he posts something like that without explaining.

Oh goodie...more speculation. Just post the *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#ing rumor/incident already.

If it's Gopher Warrior, it's something he read on the internet/social media. He's not connected to the team.

No, he is connected, and I have yet to see his sources be incorrect.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk

I have an idea what the bad news is about

Jerry Kill has decided Tubby does not have talented players and will need three more classes to get good players

I don't understand why the guy can't just say what the bad news is? It's not like he's a reporter or beat writer where he has to make sure everything adds up. Pretty lame that he posts something like that without explaining.

For the satisfaction of seeing how many responses he gets. Great way to derail an entire message board with baseless speculation.

Possible bad news
1. Tubby has another opportunity or they cannot get the contract done.
2. NCAA Violations
3. Trevor trouble or one of the other key players.

Anyway, hate the pre-knowing drama.

1. It's October, there are no jobs open, where's Tubby going? No chance of that. Even if they can't get the contract done it's not like he's just going to retire right before the season.

2. Very unlikely, given Tubby and the U's past.

3. Probably it by process of elimination.

For the satisfaction of seeing how many responses he gets. Great way to derail an entire message board with baseless speculation.

He's certainly been right about stuff before (even non-Gopher stuff like Justin Morneau's injuries.) Though I do recall him claiming Trevor would never play for the U again after the Facebook incident and that didn't come to pass.

Could it be injury-related? Posting "hints" is irresponsible in my opinion. Either post the whole story or hold off on posting anything at all until you're prepared to post the whole story.

Id guess it is transfer, violations, or "schism" related. guys were competing pretty hard in the scrimmage, maybe some really don't like each other?

Based on the wording, I doubt it is injury.

He's certainly been right about stuff before (even non-Gopher stuff like Justin Morneau's injuries.) Though I do recall him claiming Trevor would never play for the U again after the Facebook incident and that didn't come to pass.

I wasn't insinuating that he was wrong. Just saying that tweeting/posting cryptic crap like that whether you know something or not causes everyone who knows nothing on the topic to wildly speculate which is pretty annoying. It's the beginning of the season. I want to be opimistic not wonder whether something bad is going to happen or not and if so what it could be. Why not just either bite your tongue or give all known information so the board doesn't go into a frenzy speculating? I'll answer my own question. Because he wants the attention.

Well if some major deal goes down with the Basketball team .like legal trouble I'm done.No more Gophers,no more Gopherhole.No more!no more!And break the dam story or shutup.

It's hard to be a fan with all the Woodward and Bernstein want to be's all over the social media.A start of a new year and no were are suppose to wait for the shoe to drop again.

If you want to care about modern college sports, you need to learn to compartmentalize.

There was something in the paper last week about Trevor's restraining order trial comming up. I can't imagine that impacting anything no matter how it goes.

jovs said:
There was something in the paper last week about Trevor's restraining order trial comming up. I can't imagine that impacting anything no matter how it goes.

Unless maturi decides he can't play during the trial. Causing Trevor to be upset over having to sit due to a misdemeanor and Leaves.

The culture of gopher fans needs to fundamentally change to get away from:
a) expecting something horrible to happen
b) actively seeking them out.

The culture of gopher fans needs to fundamentally change to get away from:
a) expecting something horrible to happen
b) actively seeking them out.

I agree, FTB, but how do you ignore the irresponsible and vague tweet from GW? He adds a lot of great input to this board but I want him to be accountable for his tweet. Man up and clarify your "inside info, GW.

This may help with your recollection - the following quote is from January:

...I would just offer a different opinion than it seems most have -- that is, it appears the early take on this is that there will be little or no impact on Mbakwe's playing time and this is just a case of a guy being kind on Facebook.

Not saying I think it's the most likely outcome, but there is a real chance we've seen the last of Mbakwe in a Gophers uniform...

Saying that something is not the most probable outcome, but still there is a real chance of it happening differs quite a bit from claiming that it will happen.

The other thing I said that I differed with most everyone is that I believed the 'Facebook incident' would result in more than 'little or no impact'. I continue to believe the impact could be significant and I think it's all going to come to a head soon.

Debating what is appropriate punishment, what really happened, the various perceived ills of the legal system, etc. isn't going to change reality. My understanding is that not only was Mbakwe unsuccessful in completing his pretrial intervention program in Florida (due to the arrest on misdemeanor charges), but also the folks down in Miami-Dade are ready to get this show on the road. By show I mean criminal trial on the felony assault charges. Things have been continued throughout the summer, but I can't see this getting pushed into next spring. They want to get this thing handled now.

Today is the first full day of NCAA basketball practice. In addition to classes and time on the basketball court, Minnesota's top player again is juggling criminal court dates in multiple states on multiple charges on his schedule, including this Monday the 17th in St. Paul and Tuesday the 25th in Miami. The St. Paul issue seems tough to beat as there's already an admission of guilt. As discussed in May, Mbakwe's attorney filed a motion to get his violation of the harassment restraining order excused, but the motion looked like a waste of time.

With respect to the felony case in Miami, it's scary stuff. When it comes to pretrial intervention programs, requirements can differ greatly between jurisdictions. Some require the defendant to admit guilt, while others require some lesser form of acknowledgement of responsibility. Although, in some circumstances neither is required. Obtaining some acknowledge of wrongdoing is done in part so that if someone does not complete the deferral program, the case for the prosecution is bolstered by the admissions from the defendant.

Not that 'getting a lawyer back for talking trash' should play any role in the legal process, but quotes of Mbakwe's attorney Gregory Samms 14 months ago such as, "they don’t offer this (pretrial intervention) on felony cases", "(they offered pretrial intervention because their) case is crumbled" and "they had no case and they're just trying to cover themselves" couldn't have helped matters.

Gopher fans have embraced Trevor Mbakwe and probably will continue to do so. There are no major changes in facts and circumstances that existed in 9 months ago. But they can't help him with the courts. This could still go a lot of different ways, but I don't like where it looks to be headed. Perhaps what Gopher fans will do, however, is try to help the case with the University administration. It's a unique situation in that Maturi was stern: unless delays were only caused by the prosecution, Mbakwe would not play until the legal issues in Florida were resolved. Maturi deemed the acceptance into the pretrial intervention program as resolution. With respect to the harassment charges, he brushed them off as no big deal as most people did. However, both of these legal issues are hanging out there. If the legal matters are to be resolved soon, what resolutions will result in Trevor being allowed to continue to play? If the legal matters are not soon resolved, will he be allowed to continue to play? Sure, the U's administration should have known in February that the pretrial intervention program folks had given Mbakwe a failing grade and obviously he was allowed to continue playing. Perhaps they didn't know. Maybe they hoped it would all go away. It hasn't.

Some areas of understanding need to be firmed up before you get too out of sorts, but those are some of my thoughts since everyone was so interested as to what was on my small mind. I think we need the print and/or radio media folks (or I will do the work in exchange for massive pay) to check in with the County down in Miami and see what they have to say, if anything. I could have this all wrong (probably not). One time I was reading aloud in a class of kids and pronounced orangutan "or-enj goo-ten". Of course I was only about four years old and in some accelerated learning class, but I'm still capable of saying really dumb things at times.

Gotta wonder why the failing grade wasn't more public, but also why Trevor would let that happen. You have a rare opportunity to play basketball for a living and that's a challenge to get done?

Trevor seems like a great guy that has been unfairly treated in some ways, but when you are given that break for the Miami case you have to follow through.

I am hoping that things result fine. The Facebook case is a misdemeanor so not too worried, but if Miami gets "reactivated" there could be issues from the school. Will be interesting for sure.

I am hoping that things result fine. The Facebook case is a misdemeanor so not too worried, but if Miami gets "reactivated" there could be issues from the school. Will be interesting for sure.

Oh, the felony case is 'reactivated'. It has been for a long time. It's just that now they appear to be getting quite restless.

Top Bottom