Mo Ibrahim out for the year.

don't shoot the messenger - found this on a website that deals with NFL injuries:

There have been examples of high-level players returning from ruptured Achilles tendon to continue to perform at a high level.

Demaryius Thomas and Terrell Suggs are two great examples.

A ruptured Achilles tendon for a running back, however, is particularly hard to bounce back from.
In 2013, NFL.com said that "our research concludes that no running back has ever recaptured sustained pre-injury form after rupturing an Achilles tendon".

on to point #2 - RB is one position where a true FR or RS FR can step in and contribute. Granted, a young player may not have all the pass protection or blitz-pickup schemes down, but on 1st or 2nd down, you can give them the ball and say "run as hard and as fast as you can." So, bleep the redshirts or 4-game limits. If Thomas or Irving are as good as advertised, they need to play Now!

This will change the offensive dynamic considerably. All those pile-moving extra yards we'd routinely get (e.g., Auburn game)? That's pretty much gone. 3rd and short just got less probable.

I'm going to go with this news galvanizes the football team. Everyone elevates their level of play. This is what Row The Boat culture was established for.

I believe he will turn pro. However, if the recovery period takes longer than suspected or there is some questions, I could see him playing for the Gophers in 22 as the NFL may by pass him. I know the Vikings would never take a chance on him, would other NFL teams be patient?

I believe he will turn pro. However, if the recovery period takes longer than suspected or there is some questions, I could see him playing for the Gophers in 22 as the NFL may by pass him. I know the Vikings would never take a chance on him, would other NFL teams be patient?
RB's are rarely high picks in the NFL today. If they go higher they are lightning fast and versatile.
Mo either can't catch or wasn't given the opportunity. Much speculation before the injury was he could win the Heisman and be drafted 4-7th rounds. Injured, in the draft...taking a chance would be 7th round.
Sure would think he comes back to prove he's healthy. Kind of like Rodney who he has mentioned as mentor.

don't shoot the messenger - found this on a website that deals with NFL injuries:

There have been examples of high-level players returning from ruptured Achilles tendon to continue to perform at a high level.

A ruptured Achilles tendon for a running back, however, is particularly hard to bounce back from.
In 2013, NFL.com said that "our research concludes that no running back has ever recaptured sustained pre-injury form after rupturing an Achilles tendon".

on to point #2 - RB is one position where a true FR or RS FR can step in and contribute. Granted, a young player may not have all the pass protection or blitz-pickup schemes down, but on 1st or 2nd down, you can give them the ball and say "run as hard and as fast as you can." So, bleep the redshirts or 4-game limits. If Thomas or Irving are as good as advertised, they need to play Now!

That article is pretty depressing. RB attrition in general is depressing. It's a glory position, but it's the worst risk-reward role in all of major American sports.

Kevin Durant still looks pretty slick after an Achilles tear. Hoping Mo can blaze a trail here.

I'm going to go with this news galvanizes the football team. Everyone elevates their level of play. This is what Row The Boat culture was established for.
I think this could very well happen. But, we need to discover a RB. Avg yards per carry means nothing when the sample size is small. One 75 yard run helps you avg 5 yards per carry. What Mo did was move the chains!!! Plus, eat chunks. Guys who can get the first down when they know you are running and there is no hole are pretty rare. Mo was uncanny at getting crucial yardage to move the sticks. Mo was one, Seth Green was another...both are not playing this year.

Yes, we may pass more. Yes, we may be more balanced. More guys may carry the ball...spreading the carries out. I just wish I trusted Sanford more. Hopefully, it all works out. Remember, we need time of possession to be effective in our situation and philosophy, so pass happy is unlikely.

Heartbreaking news. If anyone can defy the odds (assuming Achilles) and rehab into football shape again have to believe Mo will. Everyone pulling for you.

Not surprising news. The offense will be fine and I fully expect one the other RBs to take advantage of their new role as RB1.

The aggregate historic stats are not great, but surgical techniques and rehabilitation techniques are constantly improving and individual outcomes probably vary pretty wildly. I’d imagine the university will make sure Mo gets the best surgical consultation for this type of injury money can buy. Who knows, he could make it all the way back.

Our seats are on the visitors side so when he went down we were all hoping it was not # 24. Now Tanner will need to step up and avoid costly mistakes like the strip sack for 6. We have an experienced O-line so hopefully we can be successful with running back by committee.

The 4 to 6 months recovery, aligns with an achilles tendon injury, the other possibility of a ruptured calf muscle is a 3 to 4 month recovery.

The 4 to 6 months recovery, aligns with an achilles tendon injury, the other possibility of a ruptured calf muscle is a 3 to 4 month recovery.
I thought an achilles takes almost a year.

Wouldn't 4 - 6 months mean it's not the brutal type?

Maybe I'm way off on this.

Heartbreaking news. If anyone can defy the odds (assuming Achilles) and rehab into football shape again have to believe Mo will. Everyone pulling for you.

The quote from Fleck was "His injury, I mean, it is pretty standard. When you’re talking about, it’s pretty clean. So I mean, he’s going to be able to get it fixed and make a full recovery."

That doesn't seem like an achilles injury to me...I hope.

Selfishly I want him back.

But I actually hope he goes to the NFL, if teams are interested post-injury. I don’t want him to potentially miss life-changing money by coming back and risking another serious injury.
He already missed it by coming back. If it is an Achilles he likely goes undrafted.

I thought an achilles takes almost a year.

Wouldn't 4 - 6 months mean it's not the brutal type?

Maybe I'm way off on this.
4 to 6 to fully heal up to 12 months to regain full strength.

The quote from Fleck was "His injury, I mean, it is pretty standard. When you’re talking about, it’s pretty clean. So I mean, he’s going to be able to get it fixed and make a full recovery."

Oh, yeah that’s pretty interesting. I didn’t listen to the press clip. With PJF he’s pretty dodgy about injuries generally and always possible he misheard or misinterpreted something or putting best possible spin on it but that sounds very promising for his future at very least even if he decides to take his chances in the draft rather than come back…

Did Rodney Smith ever regain his form after he came back from his injury?

There are next-man-up opportunities. When Donnell Kirkland went down with an injury, David Cobb stepped up and never relinquished the starting spot.

I am not worried. We have quality horses in the stable. It may be running by a committee at first. Heir(s)-apparent will emerge.

We have a lot better depth, but we still have to worry about the long season. It will matter more in the meat of the tough schedule towards the end of the season.

Did Rodney Smith ever regain his form after he came back from his injury?

There are next-man-up opportunities. When Donnell Kirkland went down with an injury, David Cobb stepped up and never relinquished the starting spot.

I am not worried. We have quality horses in the stable. It may be running by a committee at first. Heir(s)-apparent will emerge.

We have a lot better depth, but we still have to worry about the long season. It will matter more in the meat of the tough schedule towards the end of the season.
Rodney is on the Titans practice squad.

Rodney is on the Titans practice squad.
That is good to hear. People do recover. Teddy Bridgewater had a nasty non-contact compound tear. He is doing good as a Pro and is still collecting paychecks.

While he's obviously a great player, dozens of posters here have commented how good a recruiter Fleck is. Being in his 4th/5th year, there should be capable backups ready to go. Our ceiling of 9-3 maybe falls to 8-4. Still would be a good year.

Best wishes to Mo on the recovery.

The answer that you quote, was in direct response to the question "Ever been around a running back that's suffered a torn achilles? How tough is it to come back from that specific injury?"

The answer that you quote, was in direct response to the question "Ever been around a running back that's suffered a torn achilles? How tough is it to come back from that specific injury?"

Interesting. I did not see the press conference. I was quoting a PP article that didn't initially give it that context. It now added some language implying it's an achilles after all.

Praying for a speedy recovery for Mo! Hate to see this happen to such a good teammate! The team can adapt, but you can’t replace Mo.

Do we know if it was an achilles? I have only seen "lower body". Calf muscle tears can be pretty bad, but I think less severe long term than achilles.

Do we know if it was an achilles? I have only seen "lower body". Calf muscle tears can be pretty bad, but I think less severe long term than achilles.
No.......the way Fleck talked about it being a "clean" injury and not a career ender makes me think it's not an Achilles, why would he share that if it were an Achilles which is a proven difficult injury to come back from?

Last edited:

I know this is off topic, but have we heard anything about MBS status? I hope he’s doing okay. Looked like he was knocked unconscious and I’d be surprised if he’s not in concussion protocol.

Top Bottom