Mo Ibrahim out for the year.

NoelarBear

Reaction score
“News: #Gophers running back Mo Ibrahim will have season-ending surgery from his lower-leg injury sustained in season-opening loss to #Buckeyes, head coach PJ Fleck said Monday.”

per Andy Greder of the PP

0E5qYug.gif

Major downer. I think everyone suspected it was season ending within 5 minutes of the injury.

Of all the possible positions to lose a star player -- with the great OL that we have -- I think RB is one of the most manageable.

Not at all saying we can just replace him. Not at all.

Just saying, I think we can manage this loss and still get most everything accomplished that we want to get done.

Not shocking based on the general consensus after the injury happened. Guess if it had to happen it is good that it happened now as it gives the staff time to work the backups in during the non-conf games and figure out who is going to be the primary guy.

Guessing we may get a look at Thomas or Irving as well if someone out of the Potts/Wiley/Williams group doesn't seize the opportunity.

Feel terrible for Mo. Hopefully this is something he can make a full recovery from. Assuming he does it probably means we see him back in maroon and gold in 2022 because I think he has one extra year of eligibility still.

Sad to hear, but unfortunately we knew this was the likely outcome. Team will still be very good. Offense likely becomes more balanced and diverse.

I wonder whether Mo will come back in 2022 or if he will be recovered enough to go to the NFL?

Sad to hear, but unfortunately we knew this was the likely outcome. Team will still be very good. Offense likely becomes more balanced and diverse.

I wonder whether Mo will come back in 2022 or if he will be recovered enough to go to the NFL?
Selfishly I want him back.

But I actually hope he goes to the NFL, if teams are interested post-injury. I don’t want him to potentially miss life-changing money by coming back and risking another serious injury.

Two things. First, curious as to why they still haven’t said what the injury actually was. Not like it isn’t going to come out eventually. Was it achilles, ankle, tibia, fibula? Second, this now raises some interesting questions regarding the offense and its direction. While MO can’t be replaced, I agree that we can manage this. But I also wonder if this means we will put the ball in the air a bit more than we would have with MO. No way we have a complete philosophical change in the middle of the season, but we do have an experienced QB, a good weapon at tight end and two to three good weapons wide when CAB gets back on the field. Also like what I see potentially with Wiley and Potts catching the ball out of the backfield. No doubt this opens up some interesting possibilities.

Two things. First, curious as to why they still haven’t said what the injury actually was. Not like it isn’t going to come out eventually. Was it achilles, ankle, tibia, fibula? Second, this now raises some interesting questions regarding the offense and its direction. While MO can’t be replaced, I agree that we can manage this. But I also wonder if this means we will put the ball in the air a bit more than we would have with MO. No way we have a complete philosophical change in the middle of the season, but we do have an experienced QB, a good weapon at tight end and two to three good weapons wide when CAB gets back on the field. Also like what I see potentially with Wiley and Potts catching the ball out of the backfield. No doubt this opens up some interesting possibilities.
You are right that it won't dramatically change the approach. For starters we have the best offensive line seen here in a generation. We need to take advantage of the running game regardless of who carries the ball. Potts has averaged 5.7 yards per carry in his (limited) career opportunities and Wiley has averaged an even 5 yards. Williams rushed for 500 yards as a freshman behind a bad offensive line.

With CAB's return and the emergence of Wright, we were going to throw the ball anyway, even with Mo. Add the fact Spann-Ford is likely going to get three or four shots a game too, we are going to be well balanced but still a heavy run game team.

A legitimate running threat, RB orQB,is necessary to keep the opponents' defense from blitzing most downs.

While I may be more pessimistic than most, losing Mo, who most here said was the top B1G running back and a heisman candidate, is a very big blow. Sure the line can do work and open up some big holes, but Mo was running even better this year. Very physical but also seeing the field great. Can he be replaced? I guess we're going to find out. But it definitely makes it a bit easier on defenses to focus on Morgan and then reacting to the run.

First, curious as to why they still haven’t said what the injury actually was. Not like it isn’t going to come out eventually. Was it achilles, ankle, tibia, fibula?
Disagree that it will come out eventually.

Can you point to something definitive/official about what Braelen Oliver's specific injury was?

Good news is he said Howden is good to go. On YouTube the video of the press conference seems to end prematurely. From what I watched no reporter had the intelligence to ask him about the hit on Brown-Stephens.

PJ also said Mo will decide later whether to come back or go to NFL. 4-6 month recovery expected. Said it was a "clean injury".

Also said Ky and Bucky will definitely get looks in September. Not at all worried about the 4-game rule and preserving redshirts at RB. Best backs will play going forward. He said they have really good RBs, but people just haven't seen them because they were behind "the best back in the country".

Except for those of us who live here 365 know we have it better than nice. Simply put, we got theeee best looking ladies on the planet.
You have clearly never been to South America or seen the talent in Sweden.

The very best to Mo, one of our all-time great players: hopefully, as coach indicated, Mo will be able to resume his career at some point at some level. It is a big blow to this year's team as he was a difference-maker. The ground game will not be the same and it will cost us some games. We were still running the ball in the fourth quarter, so hopefully that will continue, but opponents will be seeing us now as more of a passing team than a running team, unless one of the RBs is a big surprise.

Ugh. Feel so bad for him. Hopefully it's not career ending.
Assuming it's the achilles, probably not. He'll physically be able to play again.

It's more career-damaging because he's in an odd spot now. He misses his big season to be the man for the Gophers. That sucks big time for all involved. I had him for Heisman at 150:1 and felt great about that bet. He could have had the type of season to lift into rd2 or 3 of the draft.

He's got enough high quality tape to get drafted decently but he probably won't be in good form for pre-draft process. Thus he will have to decide to go out into the draft as an injury question mark with no 40 times and such, or come back for one more go in 2022 for the Gophers.

Selfishly I hope he's back in 2022 but I would understand him turning pro as well.

Top Bottom