MN v MI Post Game Thread: Gophers Ball Out in 2nd Half

Just to clear up some 1st half Goperhole confusion as to why Minn kicked a field goal after the Hail Mary. Minnesota had no timeouts and by rule with less than 3 seconds remaining on the clock, they were not allowed to spike the ball. As the clock would start when the ball was ready for play, there was not enough time to call a play.
Therefore, kicking the field goal was the only option.
What about the substitution rule? Since MN is subbing, should the refs allow the defense to sub as well or does that not apply to bringing on the field goal unit there?

What about the substitution rule? Since MN is subbing, should the refs allow the defense to sub as well or does that not apply to bringing on the field goal unit there?
talking to refs it’s in the mechanics book that if obvious kicking sitch they won’t hold for subs

I am sure they called them when they felt they needed them. You can second guess stuff like this all day but it is a wasted exercise.
Most coaches find several occassions each half where TO would be useful. Most coaches also refrain the earlier impulses to make sure they have something less in case there is a chance to score or win the game.

You may agree with Fleck each time he "felt he needed one". I would say none of those times was important as the end of the first half and the end of the game.

So by that logic if it was crystal clear then the replay official is cheating for Michigan.

The views they showed on TV were not definitive. It definitely looked like the heel may have been on the line but I could understand why there wasn't enough in those angles to overturn the call on the field.
What is the angle on the view of the sideline? How has this impossible to be seen call been made in the past?

Last edited:

Most coaches find several occassions each half where TO would be useful. Most coaches also refrain the earlier impulses to make sure they have something less in case there is a chance to score or win the game.

You may agree with Fleck each time he "felt he needed one". I would say none of those times was important as the end of the first half and the end of the game.
I know at least one was with hopes they would review a play. But they didn't review so it seemed wasted.

Dragan is ranked #99 of #116 in FBS field goal percentage at .545 (11 for 16). That doesn't help in close games...

PJ might need to ignore FG attempts until Dragan figures out that pesky hook right.

Dragan is ranked #99 of #116 in FBS field goal percentage at .545 (11 for 16). That doesn't help in close games...

PJ might need to ignore FG attempts until Dragan figures out that pesky hook right.
Would be curious to see the breakdown by yardage.

He missed a 55 yarder in the wind and rain. Not a biggie.

His yardage breakdown is 2/3 from 20-29, 1/1 from 30-39, 1-2 from 40-49, and 2/5 from 50+

And of note, he’s 6/11 not 11/16 though I hope he is after the next few games

after thinking about it, my "big picture" viewpoint is this:

against their 3 major-college opponents, the Gophers have:
played one good half against North Carolina - played one good half against Iowa - and played one good half against Michigan.

there seems to be a trend there.

unless you are playing a truly awful team, you are not going to win playing only one half of football. somehow, someway the players and coaches have to figure out how to play a complete game - or at least 3/4 of a complete game. if they can do that, they can still have a decent season.

if they keep playing just 30 minutes a game then their APR is not going to matter when bowl invitations are handed out.

His yardage breakdown is 2/3 from 20-29, 1/1 from 30-39, 1-2 from 40-49, and 2/5 from 50+

Yeah, I fat thumbed the wrong stats. 6 for 11.

The thought for PJ being better remains. 43% success from over 40 yards should impact the play calling.

Fleck has commented in the past about viewing first half and second half timeouts differently. He will use a first half one when they need it but a second half one will try and save if at all possible for late game situations.

It is what it is, in a perfect world you are sitting there at the end of each half with timeouts to burn but if you need to use them you use them.

What is the angle on the view of the sideline? How has this impossible to be seen call been made in the past?
All I know is what they showed on TV and the angles they showed on TV at least left open the possibility that he might have been out but he might not have been meaning that the call on the field should stand.

My point in all this is that if there is a definitive angle that showed the defenders foot was out of bounds and the replay judge let the call stand anyway then the implication in saying that is that the replay judge is openly cheating for Michigan along with anyone else in that booth with him and presumably the on field officials looking into the monitor as well.

Top Bottom