Minnesota will not go to the Rose Bowl in my Lifetime

csom_1991

Reaction score
I think the window just closed with the loss today for Minnesota to ever go to the Rose Bowl in my lifetime - I am 46 and plan to live into my 90's. I thought we would have a chance if we could win the West but I think this was the last year that will be possible. I don't know what the future holds with the expansion in the Big Ten as far as alignment and divisions, but the logical step would be with USC and UCLA joining in addition to whatever other good teams we attract out of the Remaining PAC to fill out the West. With that change, I don't ever see the stars aligning like they did this year. We had Mo, a good D, and a 6th year QB at the same time the West was historically weak with WI, Nebraska, and Iowa all very mediocre. I just don't see the stars aligning like that again in my lifetime. For the first time, I feel the pain of the old timers that used to post here - I envy that they were able to actually see a Rose Bowl.

Finding ways to not get it done has become a fine and cherished tradition for this program. Names and coaches change, but results stay the same. Might as well start hanging banners to celebrate the continued futility.

With attitudes like this, I hope we go in the next two years.

It’s a joke, relax.

I think the window just closed with the loss today for Minnesota to ever go to the Rose Bowl in my lifetime - I am 46 and plan to live into my 90's. I thought we would have a chance if we could win the West but I think this was the last year that will be possible. I don't know what the future holds with the expansion in the Big Ten as far as alignment and divisions, but the logical step would be with USC and UCLA joining in addition to whatever other good teams we attract out of the Remaining PAC to fill out the West. With that change, I don't ever see the stars aligning like they did this year. We had Mo, a good D, and a 6th year QB at the same time the West was historically weak with WI, Nebraska, and Iowa all very mediocre. I just don't see the stars aligning like that again in my lifetime. For the first time, I feel the pain of the old timers that used to post here - I envy that they were able to actually see a Rose Bowl.
The window closed two weeks ago. But otherwise...yeah...

I concur. This was going to be the year of the Rose Bowl, finally. I'm 72 life long Gopher fan. I'm resigned to the fact of no Rose bowl in my future.

The issue this year is a lot of fans including myself had this team overrated.
The gophers didn’t blow it yesterday, they got outplayed.

O line not good enough.
Maybe wideouts were good enough with Crab but if you can’t withstand one injury it means you aren’t good enough.
D line not good enough

It's become a joke around the FredCoxRocks household for many years now...

"No, we can't host a New Year's Party, we've got a shot at the Rose Bowl this year."
"Tell your mom and dad I won't be there for the holidays this year...I'll probably be in Pasadena this year."
"No, we can't go to Mexico next year, we've got to save our money for Pasadena".

Never gets old, to me, anyway. The wife on the other hand?...

I think the window just closed with the loss today for Minnesota to ever go to the Rose Bowl in my lifetime - I am 46 and plan to live into my 90's.

It's striking that someone who has such optimism about his life expectancy has such pessimism about his team's ceiling over the next 44 years!

It's striking that someone who has such optimism about his life expectancy has such pessimism about his team's ceiling over the next 44 years!
Or he is realistic.

2019 we lay eggs against WI and IA (very timid game plans in both games).
Last year we miss our chance against IA.
And then this year when IA and WI appear to be down, we lose to Purdue and IL.
Add the fact IL appears to have a better coach and the conference will grow in size and I’m with the OP. It’s just never gonna happen.

But I realized that last week and had IL money line.

OP might be right...it was joked about on a different thread - will there even be football in 44 years? 😜

Or he is realistic.

2019 we lay eggs against WI and IA (very timid game plans in both games).
Last year we miss our chance against IA.
And then this year when IA and WI appear to be down, we lose to Purdue and IL.
Add the fact IL appears to have a better coach and the conference will grow in size and I’m with the OP. It’s just never gonna happen.

But I realized that last week and had IL money line.

Those failures all happened within the last three years. Try to expand your mind a little. Almost anything can happen in 44 years! The Cubs won a World Series within the last 44 years. Northwestern went to the Rose Bowl within the last 44 years after decades of being terrible. 44 years ago hardly anyone owned a computer and the idea that you could have small, handheld device with a clear bright color screen that doubled as a phone and mini-computer was beyond the imagination of most.

Just glad I didn't reschedule second knee surgery from right after Thanksgiving to account for potential bowl berths...

Looking forward to the painkillers...

PJ can recruit and motivate pretty good.

The team is way more consistent now than anytime in my lifetime (44 years).

We have been 1 game away from the B10 Championship game 2 times in the last 4 years.

We have to recruit more speed at the skill positions and we have to get a dual threat QB to make this offense work. Devito yesterday was mobile enough yesterday to keep plays alive, keep the ball and run, and make our D have to adjust to his ability to keep it. We don't have that with Morgan.

How many QB runs happened yesterday across the country because the QB kept and scrambled for more than 30 yards ???

On the play Morgan tried to keep it and scramble on 3rd down he had the entire right side of the field open. He gained 7 yards on 3rd and 9 because he is so unathletic. A mobile QB gains 20+ on that and extends the drive.

Those failures all happened within the last three years. Try to expand your mind a little. Almost anything can happen in 44 years! The Cubs won a World Series within the last 44 years. Northwestern went to the Rose Bowl within the last 44 years after decades of being terrible. 44 years ago hardly anyone owned a computer and the idea that you could have small, handheld device with a clear bright color screen that doubled as a phone and mini-computer was beyond the imagination of most.
True. It’s been almost 20 since the Michigan game that would have put us in the Rose Bowl.

On the play Morgan tried to keep it and scramble on 3rd down he had the entire right side of the field open. He gained 7 yards on 3rd and 9 because he is so unathletic. A mobile QB gains 20+ on that and extends the drive.

How many 35 year olds are still QB's in college though?

Disagree Transfer Portal and NIL can make anyone pop up for a year or two

The issue this year is a lot of fans including myself had this team overrated.
The gophers didn’t blow it yesterday, they got outplayed.

O line not good enough.
Maybe wideouts were good enough with Crab but if you can’t withstand one injury it means you aren’t good enough.
D line not good enough
Offensive gameplan and continued inability to make in-game adjustments...nowhere near good enough.

At the beginning of the season I wrote that the stars had finally aligned for MN to win the West.
The schedule, with only PSU as the most difficult East team and every other game a possible win especially with WI reloading on defense and the OL and IA sticking with the son of Ferentz as OC.
MN had Morgan a two ace RBs coming back and a talented OC coming back.
It was time to see if PJ had recruited well enough to get the deed done.
The answer is, no.

Agree. I was somewhat disappointed with KC being brought back.
People remember 2019 but this offense looks more like the 2017 offense than the 2019 offense.
You don't think KC should have been brought back, or disappointed in the offensive planning he's done so far?

At the beginning of the season I wrote that the stars had finally aligned for MN to win the West.
The schedule, with only PSU as the most difficult East team and every other game a possible win especially with WI reloading on defense and the OL and IA sticking with the son of Ferentz as OC.
MN had Morgan a two ace RBs coming back and a talented OC coming back.
It was time to see if PJ had recruited well enough to get the deed done.
The answer is, no.
As I was reminded, gophs are not out of it. Sure, they need a lot of help, but there's half the conference season left to play. There's enough talent to make a run. I personally am looking forward to seeing Athan.

Top Bottom