Minnesota will not go to the Rose Bowl in my Lifetime

At the beginning of the season I wrote that the stars had finally aligned for MN to win the West.
The schedule, with only PSU as the most difficult East team and every other game a possible win especially with WI reloading on defense and the OL and IA sticking with the son of Ferentz as OC.
MN had Morgan a two ace RBs coming back and a talented OC coming back.
It was time to see if PJ had recruited well enough to get the deed done.
The answer is, no.
I agree with you wholeheartedly. If they were going to get it done, this was the year given the Iowa and WI situations and a favorable schedule. Also, we will have an inexperienced QB against starting next year so that will means 2-3 years of growth before they perform at a high level and by then, we will likely to have to go through Iowa, WI, and USC for a shot at the West - and that assumes Nebraska never comes back. With Illinois looking to be an upper-middling team from this point on, I just don't see the stars aligning again for us or the other middling (upper and lower) teams to make a serious run. It is what it is but I expect USC to be every bit as dominating as MI and OSU in the next 2-3 years and having that in our division will make the odds of making it that much grimmer.

I think the window just closed with the loss today for Minnesota to ever go to the Rose Bowl in my lifetime - I am 46 and plan to live into my 90's. I thought we would have a chance if we could win the West but I think this was the last year that will be possible. I don't know what the future holds … blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.
Quit being a f’n loser. :)

It’s Penn State whiteout prime time major network TV championship week.

If we’re being honest, the Rose Bowl probably takes the 5th best big ten team once the new playoffs start.

We’ll go to plenty of rose bowls. They’ll just be the equivalent to the music city bowl.

If we’re being honest, the Rose Bowl probably takes the 5th best big ten team once the new playoffs start.

We’ll go to plenty of rose bowls. They’ll just be the equivalent to the music city bowl.
Depends on if the rose bowl is part of the playoff or not

I am 46 and plan to live into my 90's.
818a07bc-9d1e-4e5d-975f-a3822f462ad0_text.gif

True. It’s been almost 20 since the Michigan game that would have put us in the Rose Bowl.
I said this same thing after this game - that we will never see the Gophs playing in the Rose Bowl game in my lifetime. The key to happiness is acceptance. Just as I will never see the Vikings win a Super Bowl or the Twins win another World Series in my lifetime I am ok with that.

You just have to be happy with any success you get never get too excited or all-in when the team is enjoying moderate success and enjoy the teams as much as they let you. Don't ever let these sports teams dictate how your day or week are going because they are guaranteed to let you down when you expect too much. When you are a big fan this is easier said than done, especially around these parts!!!

I said this same thing after this game - that we will never see the Gophs playing in the Rose Bowl game in my lifetime. The key to happiness is acceptance. Just as I will never see the Vikings win a Super Bowl or the Twins win another World Series in my lifetime I am ok with that.

You just have to be happy with any success you get never get too excited or all-in when the team is enjoying moderate success and enjoy the teams as much as they let you. Don't ever let these sports teams dictate how your day or week are going because they are guaranteed to let you down when you expect too much. When you are a big fan this is easier said than done, especially around these parts!!!
Good post. I deal with it by being a "fair weather fan". I used to root for the vikes and suffer in their misery, then I became FairWeatherFan (in case anyone remembers that name from the Purple Thoughts message board lol).

So for years I would watch the vikes and when things turned south, I started to root against them and it made things a lot more fun. Same with the Gophers, I threw away practically all of my Gopher stuff when they fired Claeys and didn't even pay attention in 2017 and 2018 (granted I missed that victory in Madison, oh well). Then I was on board throughout 2019. Then I gave up last year after the Bowling Green game, and I gave up this year sometime during the Illinois game. I won't watch again until PJ strings together some conference victories.

Good post. I deal with it by being a "fair weather fan". I used to root for the vikes and suffer in their misery, then I became FairWeatherFan (in case anyone remembers that name from the Purple Thoughts message board lol).

So for years I would watch the vikes and when things turned south, I started to root against them and it made things a lot more fun. Same with the Gophers, I threw away practically all of my Gopher stuff when they fired Claeys and didn't even pay attention in 2017 and 2018 (granted I missed that victory in Madison, oh well). Then I was on board throughout 2019. Then I gave up last year after the Bowling Green game, and I gave up this year sometime during the Illinois game. I won't watch again until PJ strings together some conference victories.
Can’t blame you.
I got sucked in thinking this was the year, after I thought last year was the year, after I thought 2019 was the year, after I thought 2003 was the year.

Very emotionally distant now and I won’t get sucked in again for a long time.

Putting the Gophs where I put the Vikes after Favre threw across his body. Hadn’t missed a game in over ten years prior to that, have rarely watched a full game since.

Is your friend who tied the knot that fateful night still married?
He is. That was quite the day/evening.

I grew up in a poor, working class neighborhood where many of us came from broken homes (me included). I have found those of us who made it out of high school without having kids have gone on to stay married once we got married (me included). Thinking to that wedding, none of the groomsmen nor the groom had parents who were married.

They should put this on the welcome to Minnesota sign when you cross into the state.

I GUARANTEE WE WILL PLAY IN THE ROSE BOWL WITHIN 5 YEARS!!!!!

(we'll get an away game @ UCLA)

It’s just a parade of losers around here this week.

Age, life events, grand kids, etc., tend to soften a person's hardcore fanaticism with MN sports. I used to be glued to the TV and lived and died by each MN teams' wins and losses. Now, if it's a beautiful fall weekend, I'll set the DVR and hit the links with my buddies, glance at my phone a few times to catch the score and then watch the replay (if a win), or delete (if a loss). I'm 63 years old, have had open heart surgery and am thankful for my wife, kids, grand kids, and life. For you youngsters out there, that live and die by wins and losses - your time will come when other things in life are more important.

I haven't gone as far as you but you imply something that is worth remembering. Sports are entertainment. If you don't find your favorite team entertaining at a particular time, then find some other source of entertainment. What many fans label as "loyalty" is really just habit. Sports teams are not your family, friends, or the Fatherland. They're just forms of entertainment. You don't owe them any more loyalty than you would owe to a TV series. Even if you attended a particular university, the time spent there is a small part of your life even if it might have been a particularly good time (although I must say that I'd never want to return to being a twenty-something student!). That doesn't have to bind your choices for a lifetime.

I haven't gone as far as you but you imply something that is worth remembering. Sports are entertainment. If you don't find your favorite team entertaining at a particular time, then find some other source of entertainment. What many fans label as "loyalty" is really just habit. Sports teams are not your family, friends, or the Fatherland. They're just forms of entertainment. You don't owe them any more loyalty than you would owe to a TV series. Even if you attended a particular university, the time spent there is a small part of your life even if it might have been a particularly good time (although I must say that I'd never want to return to being a twenty-something student!). That doesn't have to bind your choices for a lifetime.
Great post, and that's why I watch and read so much about SEC football. I don't have a team in particular, although I like watching 'bama lose. And I tune in to Texas games now because Ewers is fun to watch and Manning will most likely be too.

If you would have told me at the beginning of the year that I wouldn't even care to tune into the Gophers/PSU white out game on Saturday night on ABC, I wouldn't have believed you. But now here I am. I won't even bother caring to find out who won - I'll just see the score on B1G Final Drive or College Football Final. At this point, I wouldn't blame the top recruits if they all left, I wouldn't accept a scholarship from PJ if this is the best he can do in year 6. Beilema is light years ahead of PJ - I'd much rather play for him if I was a high school recruit.

But, if the Gophs put together another 2019 season, I'll be just as ecstatic as everyone else! ;)

After the Vikings collapse against in the eagles in the NFC championship game, I pretty much set aside any die hard allegiance to sports fandom.

It really is mind boggling though. To have four men's pro sports clubs, that over the course of nearly 30 years (roughly the last point we've had a championship) have produced zero titles. Imagine a collective 120 years of sports with zero titles.

Adding into that mix futile Gophers football.

I'm not a fatalist - but following the absolute bed-shitting that was the stripe out, and the imminent dissolving of present BIG structure, and I'm inclined to agree with the OP. A trip to the rose bowl seems like a pipe dream.

I do have this sneaking feeling though....what if we win the white out, baby? What if...?

Frankly, as long as the student section keeps showing up and keeps the tailgate fun, I'll still have a good time. I plan to renew my season tickets, but my season ticket renewal will likely be a short tradition if Fleck can't get us over the hump soon.

What a miserable, soul-less existence. I pity you.

After the Vikings collapse against in the eagles in the NFC championship game, I pretty much set aside any die hard allegiance to sports fandom.

It really is mind boggling though. To have four men's pro sports clubs, that over the course of nearly 30 years (roughly the last point we've had a championship) have produced zero titles. Imagine a collective 120 years of sports with zero titles.

Adding into that mix futile Gophers football.

I'm not a fatalist - but following the absolute bed-shitting that was the stripe out, and the imminent dissolving of present BIG structure, and I'm inclined to agree with the OP. A trip to the rose bowl seems like a pipe dream.

I do have this sneaking feeling though....what if we win the white out, baby? What if...?

Frankly, as long as the student section keeps showing up and keeps the tailgate fun, I'll still have a good time. I plan to renew my season tickets, but my season ticket renewal will likely be a short tradition if Fleck can't get us over the hump soon.
I have lived it, man, no need to imagine it.

Great post, and that's why I watch and read so much about SEC football. I don't have a team in particular, although I like watching 'bama lose. And I tune in to Texas games now because Ewers is fun to watch and Manning will most likely be too.

You make a great point. It can be almost as fun watching a team as an anti-fan: savoring those moments when they fall on their faces!

You make a great point. It can be almost as fun watching a team as an anti-fan: savoring those moments when they fall on their faces!
Like when my dad and I were actively rooting against the queens when Blair Walsh lined up for that final field goal against Seattle. We were both sad that they were gonna pull out the victory and continue on in the playoffs...then it went wide and we were ECSTATIC. I was smiling for days after that one!!! Honestly, we both felt fantastic after the game, whereas most of Minnesota was in the dumps.

That's what being a FairWeatherFan is all about! You get the good and you avoid the bad. Or like my tag line used to say when I posted on Purple Thoughts, "You're never rooting for a loser when you're a fair-weather fan."

If you don't think the Twin Cities are Loserville, USA when it comes to sports you're in denial. Thank goodness we have Gopher hockey to at least give us hope.

Like when my dad and I were actively rooting against the queens when Blair Walsh lined up for that final field goal against Seattle. We were both sad that they were gonna pull out the victory and continue on in the playoffs...then it went wide and we were ECSTATIC. I was smiling for days after that one!!! Honestly, we both felt fantastic after the game, whereas most of Minnesota was in the dumps.

That's what being a FairWeatherFan is all about! You get the good and you avoid the bad. Or like my tag line used to say when I posted on Purple Thoughts, "You're never rooting for a loser when you're a fair-weather fan."

That is pretty extreme - I'll admit lol. That game we had every reason to believe we were coming out on top.

Frankly, I've been laughing my ass off at the Vikings the last few seasons. When it comes to the purple....I'm basically Randy Quaid anti-fan in Major League II - that reference may be dated af - but it sums my purple fandom pretty well.

I'm way less hard on the Gophs because no matter what, it's still just a bunch of kids. I really do want them to succeed though.

This is where I'm going to lose almost everyone....I still enjoy wrestling - as a grown ass man. There's a LOT as to why (the backstage drama, the behind the scenes stories etc)....but one of the main reasons is that nobody goes home sad with a wrestling show. It's just a big ass circus and fun is the name of the game. Also, Jim Cornette rocks.

First off, I pity you for joining the chair force and not a real branch of the military.

Second, I think you have it backwards, by walking away from the Gophers I am leaving the misery, you are the one staying in it.
First off, you misspelled "envy."

Second, you walk away from the Gophers by posting on Gopherhole??

I think the window just closed with the loss today for Minnesota to ever go to the Rose Bowl in my lifetime - I am 46 and plan to live into my 90's. I thought we would have a chance if we could win the West but I think this was the last year that will be possible. I don't know what the future holds with the expansion in the Big Ten as far as alignment and divisions, but the logical step would be with USC and UCLA joining in addition to whatever other good teams we attract out of the Remaining PAC to fill out the West. With that change, I don't ever see the stars aligning like they did this year. We had Mo, a good D, and a 6th year QB at the same time the West was historically weak with WI, Nebraska, and Iowa all very mediocre. I just don't see the stars aligning like that again in my lifetime. For the first time, I feel the pain of the old timers that used to post here - I envy that they were able to actually see a Rose Bowl.
I wouldn’t go that far, but when Morgan announced he was coming back for a 6th year, that was the moment my hopes dimmed for an appearance in Indy. Morgan is a great kid, but I think PJ put loyalty ahead of potentially kickstarting a pass-deficient offense. It wasn’t the first time a coach has done that, and it won’t be the last. A lot of coaches have blind spots, at all levels.

I wouldn’t go that far, but when Morgan announced he was coming back for a 6th year, that was the moment my hopes dimmed for an appearance in Indy. Morgan is a great kid, but I think PJ put loyalty ahead of potentially kickstarting a pass-deficient offense. It wasn’t the first time a coach has done that, and it won’t be the last. A lot of coaches have blind spots, at all levels.

You know, although I always liked Morgan a lot and felt very grateful for his leadership over these years, I had a similar feeling when that announcement was made. I think I felt that his return would inhibit the development of his successor as well as discourage potential QB recruits from coming here.

Top Bottom